PDA

View Full Version : New land purchase announced for the GA Pinhoti south of Cave Spring

ednotmilkman
01-16-2014, 01:40
http://www.northwestgeorgianews.com/rome/news/local/land-buy-to-move-pinhoti-trail-leg-off-road/article_5a2044c8-78fc-11e3-b242-001a4bcf6878.html

What's not clear is where the maps shows new trail on both the orange shaded property and on the green shaded property east of the orange. Does this mean there is any new trail on either section yet? I'm assuming that they got an agreement from the private owners of the orange shaded section to move the trail off Jackson Chapel Rd into their woods, as well as the proposed new trail on TCF property. I'm waiting to hear next from the GA Pinhoti Trail Assoc about who will be working on new trail and when.

Edwin

marti038
01-16-2014, 14:56
That's great news. Thanks for posting.

Not thrilled that they're pitching it as a mountain biking trail, but I guess it beats road walks.

ednotmilkman
01-16-2014, 15:15
lets just hope they put the trail way off of the road instead of less than 100 yards off of FS 600 on so much of the AL section.

blisterbob
01-16-2014, 17:35
From reports I get, worse than the horses and mtn. bikes are the ORV's
and apparently they all use and abuse all the Ga. sections.
So I have no desire to hike past Jackson Chapel.

ednotmilkman
01-17-2014, 03:14
Bob, the "multi-use" problem in GA would be one of the main reasons the Pinhoti will never become part of the AT. I'll still plan to hike it at least once just to see for myself.