PDA

View Full Version : Tyvek Information

hondo_mountaineering
09-02-2005, 18:54
If any one wants information about fabricating things from tyvek, let me know. I posted a bit of informtion in http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9950
but if any one has any other questions, I have a ton of experience working with this stuff.
--
wiley davis
http://www.tyvekwallet.com
http://authenticturd.blogspot.com

papa john
09-02-2005, 19:27
Good post. I am also fascinated by this stuff. I tried sewing it. Worked OK, but didn't think it would hold up plus as you said, you can't waterproof it.

Do you have a source for the tape that you mentioned? I am working on plans for a no-sew stuff sack using Tyvek envelopes and need some really good tape.

hondo_mountaineering
09-02-2005, 21:48
I get it from grangers supply, but they have a minimum order of 70 rolls. How much do you need. I need the stock i have on hand, but in the next cxouple of weeks I'll be getting a new order in and could sell you some at cost. It works out to about $15/roll which is 1/2" wide and 60yds long. But the stuff is awesome. The crucial bit for us was temperature range, UV resistance, and immersion capability. Lots of stuff sticks well but when you start taking it out in the rain and to mountains where the temp drops to -60deg. you want a tape that stays pliable. But if you can't wait, go to home depot and next to the astro turf (usually) they sell indoor/outdoor carpet tape. It would work just fine for stuff sacks, though it's not any cheaper, just easier to get. If you email me, I'll let you know when I get the tape in.

papa john
09-02-2005, 22:21
I will try the carpet tape. I tried the Priority Mail tape, but I was able to pull it right off the Tyvek. If the carpet tape doesn't work out, I will get with you on this tape.

Thanks!

12hrsN2AT
09-02-2005, 23:04
I will try the carpet tape. I tried the Priority Mail tape, but I was able to pull it right off the Tyvek. If the carpet tape doesn't work out, I will get with you on this tape.

Thanks! Priority Mail Tape only works on Priority Envelope Tyvek, you need the Tyvek tape for the real Tyvek. We taught the Cub Scouts how to make the wallet a few weeks back and we used regular Tyvek and Tyvek Tape.

papa john
09-02-2005, 23:52
I was using the PM envelope, the tape pulled right off.

12hrsN2AT
09-03-2005, 00:17
I have no problem, I have even used them in the rain and the tape doesn't come off, maybe it's the hot Florida sun that makes it stick. But if you try to remove the tape it TEARS the envelope, I urge you to try it again.
Pics of my 6 envelope under bag tarp, it's under 3 ounces.

papa john
09-03-2005, 06:36
Now that it has been on there overnight, seems to be working now. I can't even get an edge to lift up.

Now, to find this tape in a clear version!

hikernutt
11-13-2006, 22:42
how do yu make a pack cove with tyvek, I have the Asprey Aura 65 and plenty of tyvek just thinking of making a pack cover with some. Good idea or not? Hikernutt

headchange4u
11-14-2006, 11:35
Anybody had any experience dying Tyvek a different color? White is not the best color for outdoor activities, IMHO.

Lanthar Mandragoran
11-14-2006, 16:07
Hondo,

Any chance of getting some pics of the bivy you mentioned in the other thread?

Gaiter
11-14-2006, 20:23
i've been planning on making a tyvek skirt, to double as a ground cloth. my plan is to use velcro to make it into a wrap skirt for laundry day for a long distance hike. will velcro stick to tyvek well, or will putting a layer of tape btn the velcro and tyvek work(i assume its double sided) ? does anyone have experience w/ velcro and tyvek?

Jim Adams
11-14-2006, 20:45
Hmmmm, tyvek skirt? i wear a kilt alot while hiking. sounds like something i need to try.
geek

Lanthar Mandragoran
11-15-2006, 13:04
i've been planning on making a tyvek skirt, to double as a ground cloth. my plan is to use velcro to make it into a wrap skirt for laundry day for a long distance hike. will velcro stick to tyvek well, or will putting a layer of tape btn the velcro and tyvek work(i assume its double sided) ? does anyone have experience w/ velcro and tyvek?

Now that's an interesting idea (skirt or kilt)... the tyvek ought to be nice as, due to the stiffness, it won't collapse around your legs. You might consider using Omni-tape rather than velcro (jacksrbetter likes it for the head openings in his quilts)

That or I would bet that you could make a sarong-type-thing just as easy... simply cut the tie-straps into your original design... you're not going to be able to rip them out. I"ve added a quick sketch... I'd really try it that way... not 'itchy' velcro hitting your legs or your bag.

Lanthar Mandragoran
11-15-2006, 13:05
Edit - realize that the tie-extensions may or may not be to scale... feel free to play with the design.

Gaiter
11-18-2006, 04:13
thats a good idea, didn't think of doing the sarong
thanks

zelph
11-18-2006, 15:06
Nylon snaps would be a good choice for the wrap around wash day skirt. They are used for making baby diapers and other stuff. Fabric stores can give you a boat load of info how to apply etc. etc. They are light weight and warm to the touch compared to metal. My wife was into making diapers, she used them. I watched and help apply the snaps:)

Lanthar Mandragoran
11-28-2006, 14:21
Nylon snaps would be a good choice for the wrap around wash day skirt. They are used for making baby diapers and other stuff. Fabric stores can give you a boat load of info how to apply etc. etc. They are light weight and warm to the touch compared to metal. My wife was into making diapers, she used them. I watched and help apply the snaps:)

I've heard some can be a pain to apply... combined with the issues of working with tyvek it might be a pain... but it would be worth a try

zelph
11-28-2006, 22:42
I was thinkng of using tyvek for making a loin cloth for laundry day during those really hot hot days.

Native Americans never left camp without one.

I'll use nylon snaps and let you know how they worked out.