PDA

View Full Version : Hiking the AT (with the nothing really but the dream)

Corajb
01-16-2014, 13:39
Hi! Recently in life I have thrown caution to the wind and decided to plan an epic attempt at a thru hike. I am living off nothing due to a low paying job just so I can achieve this goal while I complete my first semester in school since I was 18. It is truly a feat so far. I was wondering if any others on this site were not as well off financially upon attempting a thru hike? I read constantly about people having but I was wondering what is the least anyone has taken with them (besides essentials.) Thanks. :)

kayak karl
01-16-2014, 15:31
you can hike as far as the money takes you. i found when i was poor my money went farther staying put.

Blissful
01-16-2014, 20:31
There will undoubtedly be situations where having money will help. But if you decide to go hike until the well runs dry, its up to you. Some hikers have also found temp jobs on the trail to keep the dream alive. Just cut out town stays.

aficion
01-16-2014, 20:37
It has reportedly been done in the recent past with full kit of gear and around $1000.00 cash. One must be both frugal and fortunate to make this work. The norm these days seems to be 4 times that amount and up, from what has been reported here. I like the sound of your adventure. Wherever you end up you can look for work if needed.

Starchild
01-16-2014, 20:45
I decided to thru hike when I did because I was running out of money and needed to make some major changes in my life, and I knew if I waited a year I would not be able to afford it.

As for your situation, people regret more what they could have done with their life and didn't then the other way around. Follow your heart and be true to yourself is my advice. IMHO even if you don't make it you will be better off ten if you never tried.

fiddlehead
01-16-2014, 22:49
2 of us hiked in '77 on $700.
Made it to Delaware Water Gap (NJ/PA border) going NOBO.
We were very frugal, using a $6 tube tent that we got wet in a few times.
Things are more expensive now, but if you want to, you can still cook beans and rice and avoid towns like we did.
(beans and rice have perhaps doubled in price since '77 but are still cheap)
Of course they take a long time to cook so, you have to plan a lot and carry extra weight (soak them all day in your water bottle helps a lot)

Your biggest problem is the mental game.
When your friends are going to town for a motel, shower, steak and beer, and you have to stay in the woods (again) and eat your beans and rice.................
Well, this is quite the problem, aye?

Keep in mind after a month, you'll be hungry most of the time.
But, not saying it can't be done.
Just takes a strong mind.

As Grandma Gatewood said: It's more head than heel.

canoe
01-16-2014, 23:10
We were very frugal, using a $6 tube tent that we got wet in a few times.
Things are more expensive now, but if you want to, you can still cook beans and rice and avoid towns like we did.
(beans and rice have perhaps doubled in price since '77 but are still cheap)
Of course they take a long time to cook so, you have to plan a lot and carry extra weight (soak them all day in your water bottle helps a lot)

Your biggest problem is the mental game.
When your friends are going to town for a motel, shower, steak and beer, and you have to stay in the woods (again) and eat your beans and rice.................
Well, this is quite the problem, aye?

Keep in mind after a month, you'll be hungry most of the time.
But, not saying it can't be done.
Just takes a strong mind.

As Grandma Gatewood said: It's more head than heel. What cost 700 is now about 7000. Just saying. In 77 you could buy a new car for 2500. Now it will cost 25000.

kayak karl
01-16-2014, 23:17
What cost 700 is now about 7000. Just saying. In 77 you could buy a new car for 2500. Now it will cost 25000.
not quite.
The average house cost $48,800
Equivalent today: $176,169
http://thecostofliving.com/assets/images/a2000-2009/car.png
The average car cost $5,800
Equivalent today: $20,938
http://thecostofliving.com/assets/images/a2000-2009/user.png
The average wage was $9,779
Equivalent today: $35,302

so about 4 times, even $2800 for two to Pa. ain't bad

4eyedbuzzard
01-16-2014, 23:42
Corajb, Will taking six months off work, however low paying, and then spending what little money you do have, honestly help your life situation?
If you really think it will, then go hike. But leave enough money aside to get back home or somewhere safe when you are done hiking. I, and I'm sure others, see a few (mostly young) hikers every year in VT and NH who have run out of money. They're hanging about a shelter, yogi-ing (begging) food, rides, and everything else. It isn't where you want to wind up. Because at that point you are no longer a thru-hiker, just a homeless person.

Nyte
01-17-2014, 09:19
This is going to be a really, really unpopular opinion, I think, but I'm going to through it out.

People expect to spend way too much on the AT.

If one has their gear, and can maintain not spending money on town meals, hotel/motel/hostels, beer, and other stuff, and can just keep spending to food and any gear replacement, it can be done for a lot less.

I am going to oversimplify some of this, but it will still show possibility (plausibility is the difference of individuals).

A typical trail meal is a knorr side/potato bag/rice side. Cost, about $1. Serving of tuna, about $1. Tortilla shell, olive oil, spices, together, about $1.

Lunch, some peanut butter and tortillas, $1-2 dollars.

Breakfast, Oatmeal, $0.50 -1.00.

Snacks, 2-4 snickers, $2-3.

$6.50-7.00 a day.

5 months times 30.6 days = 152 (rounded up), add for zeros, 175

$1,064

2 replacement pairs of shoes, $100 (not hard to go to places that sell last year's shoes and get brnd new trail runners for $50)

$1,164

Accounting for fuel and other consumables (tape, vitamin I, etc)

$1,250.

Is it easy for most, nope. Is it possible? HELL YES. I am fairly sure it could be done for less than that even. All depends on the hike the person wants to hike.

Also, no one is ever "just a homeless person." You don't know their stories, their struggles, their situations, so let's not be dismissive, judgmental, or condescending.

skinnbones
01-17-2014, 09:55
I have been waiting over 30 years for my AT adventure. I'm having to wait for road blocks to disappear. I'm hoping for a 2015 start. After buying gear I want at least $2500 to cover my trip. If I don't have that amount I will just try again in 2016. I think you should wait until the funds are there. Good luck.

Coffee
01-17-2014, 10:03

Unless those zeros are going to be taken in the woods somewhere, I think the $1,250 budget is blown right off the bat due to town expenses (hostel, shower, food, etc).

HikerMom58
01-17-2014, 10:04
I have been waiting over 30 years for my AT adventure. I'm having to wait for road blocks to disappear. I'm hoping for a 2015 start. After buying gear I want at least $2500 to cover my trip. If I don't have that amount I will just try again in 2016. I think you should wait until the funds are there. Good luck.

A lot of people choose to do it that way, skinnbones. They want to enjoy the trail experience and all that it has to offer. In that regard, it's like saving up for a vacation. You can vacation on a budget or wait until you can do comfortably... whatever that looks like... you decide.
Shuttles can really be expensive. Also, like someone already pointed out, not many hikers stay in the woods as much as they used too.

soilman
01-17-2014, 10:28

As Grandma Gatewood said: It's more head than heel.

My brother and I hiked from ME to VA in 1976 and did not spent probably about the same amount. But to put things in perspective, I bought a beer at a tavern near Rausch Gap for 25 cents, hotel rooms were about $8 - $10. On my 2010 thru I spent over $5000.

moldy
01-17-2014, 10:39
It is a rare person with the necessary skills to make a true thru-hike with no or little money. There is probably a book in it for the person who does it. They will have to combine the "depression era street smarts" and a "backwoods survivor" into one character. He will be skilled at the "short con" living on the bum and I don't think that cleaning out hiker boxes and maxing on hiker feeds will be enough to get him all the way. I see more and more "bums" out there "working the trail"(we call them homeless these days) every year but the don't get too many miles in. That's not hiking. You see them holed up at shelters and hanging around free hostels. Sometimes at the supermarket in trail towns with a good story about keeping the dream alive. I have read about a few hikers who have used the modern technology and social media networking to find sponsorship to work the "long con" on the hometown folks to contribute enough for a thru-hike. That takes yet more skill. Brings new meaning to HYOH.

4eyedbuzzard
01-17-2014, 11:25
Also, no one is ever "just a homeless person." You don't know their stories, their struggles, their situations, so let's not be dismissive, judgmental, or condescending.
Wasn't being judgmental. Statement of fact. You can't be on vacation hiking without money for food and supplies. If you have no visible means of support - have no money and no job and no place to live, you are a homeless person under today's terminology. FWIW, I thought it was less dismissive, judgmental, or condescending than calling them a panhandler, bum, or vagrant as they might have been labeled in the past.

takethisbread
01-17-2014, 11:33
I would think hiking for less than. $1,500 would be so hard. even that doesn't count hotels and hostels, which are really important for morale. hiawasee is what drives so many through Georgia and then the mind uses amenities in Franklin NOC Gatlinburg Hot Springs Erwin Damascus ect and so on drive your will up the trail. anyone that can hike without really enjoying themselves in these places is quite amazing. god Bless u and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
01-17-2014, 13:26
The reality is people who try to hike the AT with very little money don't make it very far. They typcially don't have the gear nor the experiance to pull it off. Just ask Ron Haven how many pennyless "hikers" have shown up at his door step begging for help. And if you do give these people money, the first thing they buy is a 6 pack and cigerettes. Granted this is not always the case, but I've seen it often enough to become cynical about it.

Damn Yankee
01-17-2014, 13:45
I think anyone with the drive and intestinal fortitude, outdoor skills, good knowledge of plants and able to trap small game may do well but, they would have to be good also in mending gear and just take into account expendables. I have done many things in life with pure drive and just doing without and it never took the enjoyment from anything. I think you will do ok IF you have these things that I have mentioned. As far as money goes, If you aren't concerned about time and don't mind spending a week or two at some part-time job, so what if it takes you a year. As long as you are single, bills are paid and nothing hanging over your head, I say go for it and good luck.

bobtomaskovic
01-18-2014, 02:24
"able to trap small game" Really? I'm pretty sure that would land you in a real mess if you got caught. Besides trapping requires waiting, not really conducive to making miles.

Damn Yankee
01-18-2014, 10:39
I understand about the time and miles but, if time was not a factor. Even packing a slingshot. Just trying to help his thought process

kayak karl
01-18-2014, 10:49
I understand about the time and miles but, if time was not a factor. Even packing a slingshot. Just trying to help his thought process your not helping. hunting and trapping are illegal in most states without a permit. slingshots are illegal in some states. we are not taking the wilderness, it's the AT.

Nyte
01-19-2014, 10:38
your not helping. hunting and trapping are illegal in most states without a permit. slingshots are illegal in some states. we are not taking the wilderness, it's the AT.

He explored an idea in conversation, which has been shown to have too many reasons not to work to be viable. That is helping the conversation. Just because something doesn't register on YOUR scale of worth talking about, doesn't make it so for everyone.

Bronk
01-19-2014, 11:13
I spent 4 months hiking from Springer to Waynesboro, and there was a guy who started within a day or two of me that was also in Waynesboro the day I got off the trail. I had hiked deliberately slowly to "smell the roses" whereas he was probably doing twice as many miles in a day as I was. The difference was every time we crossed a town he'd hang around town trying to find work for a day or two. Point being it takes a lot of extra time to do it this way...he spent just as much time finding work and earning money as he spent on the trail...and they weren't high paying or glamorous jobs...he'd invent his own jobs...if he saw a mechanic's shop he'd go inside and offer to neatly stack all the tires they had piled out back for $10. His story was that he had put together a bunch of maildrops and as soon as he left his girlfriend opened them all and took his money out and never mailed them. But after 4 months of getting to know the guy I think the story was BS...he had intended to work his way up the trail from the beginning...he was too well schooled in how to live by the seat of his pants. I never saw him beg or ask for anything, but if something was being given away he would take it...and he got most of his resupply from hiker boxes when he was able to...if he wanted something you had he would barter for it...like I said, he didn't ask for hand outs. So while it is possible, it takes a lot of time and its not the kind of experience most people would enjoy. BTW, Joe Mitchell got him a membership at the Moose Lodge when he rolled through Catawba and from that point on every town he crossed he went straight to the lodge and usually had a job lined up within a couple hours.

MuddyWaters
01-19-2014, 15:59
A thru hike, isnt just a walk in the woods.

Its an experience, the towns, the people, the other hikers, the depravations, the excesses, the pains, the joys, the hitchiking, the hostels.

You spend 2/3 of your money in towns. But that is also part of the AT thru hike experience. If you want to go walk in wilderness without the cameraderie of others, go to Alaska.

When you look back on what you value the most from a hike, it will be the people you spent time with.

Dogwood
01-19-2014, 19:49
....If you really think it will, then go hike. But leave enough money aside to get back home or somewhere safe when you are done hiking. I, and I'm sure others, see a few (mostly young) hikers every year in VT and NH who have run out of money. They're hanging about a shelter, yogi-ing (begging) food, rides, and everything else. It isn't where you want to wind up. Because at that point you are no longer a thru-hiker, just a homeless person.

The reality is people who try to hike the AT with very little money (*VERY VERY OFTEN) don't make it very far. They typcially don't have the gear nor the experiance to pull it off. Just ask Ron Haven how many pennyless "hikers" have shown up at his door step begging for help. And if you do give these people money, the first thing they buy is a 6 pack and cigerettes. Granted this is not always the case, but I've seen it often enough to become cynical about it.

]A thru hike, isnt just a walk in the woods. [/B]Its an experience, the towns, the people, the other hikers, the depravations, the excesses, the pains, the joys, the hitchiking, the hostels.

It is a rare person with the necessary skills to make a true thru-hike with no or little money. There is probably a book in it for the person who does it. They will have to combine the "depression era street smarts" and a "backwoods survivor" into one character. He will be skilled at the "short con" living on the bum and I don't think that cleaning out hiker boxes and maxing on hiker feeds will be enough to get him all the way. I see more and more "bums" out there "working the trail"(we call them homeless these days) every year but the don't get too many miles in. That's not hiking. You see them holed up at shelters and hanging around free hostels. Sometimes at the supermarket in trail towns with a good story about keeping the dream alive. I have read about a few hikers who have used the modern technology and social media networking to find sponsorship to work the "long con" on the hometown folks to contribute enough for a thru-hike. That takes yet more skill. Brings new meaning to HYOH.

This not being dismissive or condescending of anyone's dreams or desires but I will share what I know to be an accurately observed judgement. Some will not like hearing this. The VAST OVERWHELMING majority who attempt thru-hiking in a "throw all caution to the wind" fashion or take it on with little or no money DO NOT complete their thru-hikes! THAT IS THE REALITY! Those who have the notion that they will thru-hike, hunt, and fish their way up the AT supporting their needs primarily that way, which in most likelyhood would be executed illegally anyway, will LARGELY MEET WITH FAILURE IN COMPLETING THEIR THRU-HIKES.

I rarely whole heartedly define situations exactly as Moldy but he has the situation of many pegged exactly. He speaks in frank language depicting the situation but he's spot on! DO NOT BECOME A BUM THAT USES THE EXCUSE OF HIKING TO STAY A BUM!

Malto
01-19-2014, 19:56
This not being dismissive or condescending of anyone's dreams or desires but I will share what I know to be an accurately observed judgement. Some will not like hearing this. The VAST OVERWHELMING majority who attempt thru-hiking in a "throw all caution to the wind" fashion or take it on with little or no money DO NOT complete their thru-hikes! THAT IS THE REALITY! Those who have the notion that they will thru-hike, hunt, and fish their way up the AT supporting their needs primarily that way, which in most likelyhood would be executed illegally anyway, will LARGELY MEET WITH FAILURE IN COMPLETING THEIR THRU-HIKES.

I rarely whole heartedly define situations exactly as Moldy but he has the situation of many pegged exactly. He speaks in frank language depicting the situation but he's spot on! DO NOT BECOME A BUM THAT USES THE EXCUSE OF HIKING TO STAY A BUM!

naw...... This one is different. :)

Dogwood
01-19-2014, 20:11
So that nobody twists what I've said YES I've completed thru-hikes without all the supporting resources I needed in hand. I've completed thru-hikes as a homeless person. I've had to/NO CHOICE but to stop hiking for up to 2 wks at a time to work or barter to obtain the resources required to hike. I've been there when hiking friends went off into town to drink and eat pizza while I've had to stay under a bridge or on trail eating 20 cents worth of Ramen, AGAIN, and, being damn appreciative that I had Ramen. NO, I haven't always attempted AND ALWAYS COMPLETED thru-hikes with abundant financial resources. YES, thru-hikes can be done with little in hand financial resources or with little preparation but in my observations it's a VERY RARE thing to see this.

Corajb
01-20-2014, 12:24
This is going to be a really, really unpopular opinion, I think, but I'm going to through it out.

People expect to spend way too much on the AT.

If one has their gear, and can maintain not spending money on town meals, hotel/motel/hostels, beer, and other stuff, and can just keep spending to food and any gear replacement, it can be done for a lot less.

I am going to oversimplify some of this, but it will still show possibility (plausibility is the difference of individuals).

A typical trail meal is a knorr side/potato bag/rice side. Cost, about $1. Serving of tuna, about $1. Tortilla shell, olive oil, spices, together, about $1.

Lunch, some peanut butter and tortillas, $1-2 dollars.

Breakfast, Oatmeal, $0.50 -1.00.

Snacks, 2-4 snickers, $2-3.

$6.50-7.00 a day.

$1,064

2 replacement pairs of shoes, $100 (not hard to go to places that sell last year's shoes and get brnd new trail runners for $50)

$1,164

Accounting for fuel and other consumables (tape, vitamin I, etc)

$1,250.

Is it easy for most, nope. Is it possible? HELL YES. I am fairly sure it could be done for less than that even. All depends on the hike the person wants to hike.

I LOVE YOU! I was just about to respond to a the comment someone made about people ending up homeless. This is actually a larger journey for me and I am giving up a conventional life in order to find my happy. :)

Thank you for the ideas!!! They are wonderful. I am giving myself some time to prepare seeing that I am in locked into a year lease right now but I know that I am going to just do it when the time comes. The only reason I need to be frugal as well is because I am not coming home after my hike. At least, this is the plan.

Corajb
01-20-2014, 12:28
The reality is people who try to hike the AT with very little money don't make it very far. They typcially don't have the gear nor the experiance to pull it off. Just ask Ron Haven how many pennyless "hikers" have shown up at his door step begging for help. And if you do give these people money, the first thing they buy is a 6 pack and cigerettes. Granted this is not always the case, but I've seen it often enough to become cynical about it.

I don't know how anyone trying a hike of that magnitude could even convenience of smoking cigarettes or drinking. :\ haha.

Mr. Bumpy
01-20-2014, 12:49
Why don't you just hike for a month and see how it works out? You live in Md. You could get to Front Royal cheaply and hike north. If you bailed it is an easy hitchhike back to Md. It will take 3-4 weeks and you will know if it is for you. After a while you can decide to keep going or stop and plan for next year. If you still want to do it then you can live like a monk and plan it right for the next year.

You will never be forty something and wish you had played it conservatively.

Blue Mountain Edward
01-20-2014, 13:42
It would cost $ to get to either end of the trail. You could do some section hiking starting in Md and not spend all your hard earned money. Hiking is enjoyable when you got money for a occasional hostel or hotel room, restaraunt meals, beer and good food. Dirtbagging, stinking and eating rice beans and lentils is not enjoyable. I would rather eat shrimp and steak than ramen noodles and beans. After buying your gear and packing your backpack count your money and plan how long you can hike before you become a broke backpacker.

flemdawg1
01-20-2014, 17:47
If you want to do it, my advice take enough $ to make it a success. Work 3 jobs to get the money to go. Why 3? Because after you've worked 3 jobs, all you will want to do is go home and sleep. And if all you do is work and sleep, you'll pile up cash pretty quick.

Badger2011
02-04-2014, 19:10
You might be interested in this: http://www.appalachiantrials.com/badger-sponsorship-2014/

Free pack, a few mail drops, some stuff sacs, a good deal of free food and more.

aficion
02-04-2014, 19:20
A thru hike, isnt just a walk in the woods.

Its an experience, the towns, the people, the other hikers, the depravations, the excesses, the pains, the joys, the hitchiking, the hostels.

You spend 2/3 of your money in towns. But that is also part of the AT thru hike experience. If you want to go walk in wilderness without the cameraderie of others, go to Alaska.

When you look back on what you value the most from a hike, it will be the people you spent time with.

May be true for many.

lemon b
02-04-2014, 19:27
In 78. Made it to Front Royal and ran out of money. Finished in 1982 on a grand, plus some drop box help from my Dad. I hike for fun not ego. Just hike and enjoy. Most people can not afford six months of vacation with no pay. Lets face it a hiking bum is still a bum.

Del Q
02-04-2014, 21:20
Have you considered Crowdfunding?

4shot
02-04-2014, 22:32

$1,250.

just curious Nyte. did you thru hike on $1,250. If so, when? or are using the word "possible" in the broadest sense of the word? As in, it's possible that I may one day be elected President of the United States. while I am not going to argue that it is impossible, no one that I have ever met who has thruhiked could (or would) do it. It's not willpower either - without 'binging" on food in towns the calorie deficit eating the diet that you proposed is not sustainable for 2200 miles imo. of course, as others said, the kid can go with what he has and just hike until he's out of money. many do every year.

Dogwood
02-05-2014, 00:31
I'm not the first to say it but whoever did got it spot on. MANY AT thru-hikers or those professing to be AT thru-hikers or who say they want to do an AT thru-hike or embark on supposed AT thru-hikes, for whatever reasons, in hindsight, were AT section hikers. Stats confirm this - 8-9 out of every 10(ten!) professing themselves to be AT thru-hikers don't complete their thru-hikes! If those hiking the AT more often simply went out as AT section hikers(like perhaps hikers in the OP's current financial state? :)) , if they allowed themselves to do that, perhaps there would be more happy AT hikers having more fulfilling AT hikes. Just a thought.