PDA

View Full Version : Trail Magic Input

Tooth Paste
01-16-2014, 21:19
Hi All,

Last year my Search and Rescue team (Shenandoah Mountain Rescue Group) put on a great trail magic day at Ashby Gap on the Saturday before Memorial Day. We got a about a 20 thru hikers and about 5 section hikers and a bunch of day hikers. It was a good time. I plan on doing it again this year but wanted to throw out a few questions to some of the more experienced members:

1.) When going through the Roller Coaster was there any specific thing or item that would have made a great Trail Magic item?

2.) While we had a lot of food items, we found a lot of folks were in need of a variety of medical and clothing items. Was there anything during this section of the hike that you needed more than others?

3.) If we had published our outing on White Blaze a few days ahead of time, would you have adjusted your schedules to attend our get together or would it have been dependent on where you happen to be on the trail?

4.) Last one: What what the one thing you needed or finding yourself most wanting to have or resupply on the trail?

Thanks a bunch,

Tooth Paste.

Teacher & Snacktime
01-16-2014, 21:31
Apples, oranges, plums.....all the juicy fruit you can gather. That was what the hikers seemed to crave most when we did magic.

Starchild
01-16-2014, 21:32
Almost all trail magic was appreciated, the intention was always. My advice is don't try to plan it, let it happen.

There was a note in a shelter about trail magic at the next road crossing, that caused a rush which was not so enjoyable. I'm not saying it was not appreciated but would have been better w/o the note.

Pizza, even cold was always a big hit on the trail.

Trail Ponderer
01-16-2014, 22:00
I think whatever you choose to provide would be nice. I'm happy with a cold Coca Cola. But, since you asked and the hikers have just passed the Roller Coaster, maybe have a amusement park theme with Cotton candy and popcorn with the hot dogs and burgers. Pepto Bismo miight be helpful, too.;)
I'm not sure how many hikers are checking Whiteblaze while on the trail but a sign on a bulletin board or shelter in the Northern part of Shenandoah or a road crossing like US 522 could help some hikers to change schedules with the lure of food. Medical items would be your typical first aid items for blisters or foot care, mostly.

HikerMom58
01-16-2014, 22:13
Toothpaste... welcome to WB! Cool username! I have to agree with Starchild. Don't worry about announcing it ahead of time... just do it. Also, you'll hear on this thread, I'm sure, that it's not "trail magic", if it's "planned".... whatever! :rolleyes:

For that reason right there I will have to "bow out" of this thread as soon as I hit the reply button. I can't deal with all the negativity towards trail magic & trail angels. No one forces people to partake but that doesn't seem to matter to some. They have to proclaim their dislike of other people's kindness to hikers. Go figure! Don't be discouraged or take any negative comments personally, if they are posted here.

I've found that fresh fruits and fresh veggies are a big hit! WATERMELON! Take their trash, of course, if you have a way to recharge cell phones etc....that would be a big hit! ;) Cold drinks are always good! Someone said nail clippers would be nice to be able to use too.

I think just connecting to hikers is good.... taking an interest in them, listening to their stories (that's the fun part) and cheering them on, are some of the best things trail angels can do. God bless you for reaching out to the hiking community. You are very much appreciated!

MDSection12
01-16-2014, 22:15
Hugs! Smiles! 'Attaboys!' :)

4shot
01-16-2014, 22:24
I wouldn't publicize it. trail magic is awesome when it just appears imo. I also don't think many hikers would alter their schedules by more than a few hours anyway for trail magic. All (or 98%) thru-hikers appreciate anything...cold drinks, hot dogs, snacks, etc. One guy in Pa. had a grill set up and was cooking hamburgers with the trimmings. A church group in NC served a really nice breakfast one morning. Both of those were really good. as for me, I really missed cookies, donuts and cold milk while on the trail. fruits, as suggested above, were also great. Don't overthink it or overplan....anything will be appreciated. The nice thing is....trail magic is pretty common early in the trip. By the time you get to the roller coaster area (and really could have used it it in terms of extra calories) it was pretty uncommon. Thanks to you and all other trail angels out there...meeting people such as yourself who do things like this is one of the more enjoyable aspects of the hike.

shelb
01-17-2014, 23:39
[QUOTE=HikerMom58;1835395 Someone said nail clippers would be nice to be able to use too. [/QUOTE]

HikerMom had a ton of great info (fruit, trash pickup, etc.).

However, DO NOT PROVIDE nor share nail clippers unless you have a good way to clean them after each use. My husband and my friend both got a nail fungus from using someone elses nail clippers....the fungas doesn't go away!

jesse
01-18-2014, 00:31
Hiker mom. This is a public forum. The only magic, which really isn't magic, that I detest is when so-called angels leave stuff. If you are going to do it, stay with it. TA's are not exempt from LNT principles.

theGABE
01-18-2014, 04:03
I think whatever you choose to provide would be nice. I'm happy with a cold Coca Cola. But, since you asked and the hikers have just passed the Roller Coaster, maybe have a amusement park theme with Cotton candy and popcorn with the hot dogs and burgers.

^^^That would be clever and fun. And fresh fruits are always great.

Thank you for making this trail community so wonderful toothpaste! We owe so much to the trail angels and their selfless attitude!

Hiker mom. This is a public forum. The only magic, which really isn't magic, that I detest is when so-called angels leave stuff. If you are going to do it, stay with it. TA's are not exempt from LNT principles.

As long as you keep your station updated and cleaned or remove it when you are done this should not be a worry. I heard a lot of nay-saying :( about caches along the trail, but me and every thru-hiker I hiked with loved them. Really made the day a bit more special.

Starchild
01-18-2014, 08:39
As long as you keep your station updated and cleaned or remove it when you are done this should not be a worry. I heard a lot of nay-saying :( about caches along the trail, but me and every thru-hiker I hiked with loved them. Really made the day a bit more special.

Yes I agree, as long as it is maintained it is very welcome for many thru hikers. It is as welcome as shelters and blazes, and piped springs it is part of the AT and is something very special.

moldy
01-18-2014, 09:52
Toothpaste, all thru--hikers love trail magic and hiker feeds. Plenty of people who post here are not thru-hiker and don't appreciate your effort. It's like people railing about feeding the ducks and geese in the golf club community, you get different opinion if you ask the ducks! To answer your question by the numbers.
1. By the time we get to the roller coaster it's hot so iced down drinks are great.
2. Information about Harpers Ferry, hostels, places to eat, trains into DC. For NOBO's that is the next destination town and thru hikers will want info that may not be in the book. Real info is the best trail magic sometimes.
3. The best way to announce your feed is to hang papers in all the shelters North of the park including Bears Den and at the Trail Club facility.
4. Electricity. A place to plug in. One of the best trail magic things I got was the use of one of those car emergency power systems that has a place to charge your I phone, cell phone etc. They sell them at all auto places and Wal-mart. It's designed to jump start your car and the new models have plug in places for both 110 v/ac and usb. A fellow in NC had one in the trunk of his car and he let us charge our devices while he fed us great food. One charge on one of those things will charge cell phones all day long without a recharge.

4shot
01-18-2014, 10:04
Toothpaste, all thru--hikers love trail magic and hiker feeds. Plenty of people who post here are not thru-hiker and don't appreciate your effort. It's like people railing about feeding the ducks and geese in the golf club community, you get different opinion if you ask the ducks!

amen. people that are against trail angels and trail magic must hate Santa Claus as well. I don't get it. The random acts of kindness and chance to meet and interact with people who genuinely love and support the AT is a highlight of the trip. If you are looking for a pure ,wilderness Lewis and Clark type expedition then the AT ain't the place. Cold drinks, little Debbie cakes and bananas at a road crossing rock!!! If you don't want them, keep hiking on.