PDA

View Full Version : When do the leaves change in GA/NC?

JLB
09-02-2005, 23:32
I want to get a short getaway (maybe a week) in northern Georgia/southern NC to experience a little more cooler weather camping, and want to time it with the leaves changing. If memory serves me, it's right around early/mid October, right?

What kind of day and night temps will I have to deal with during October, and is that a rainy month?

Whistler
09-02-2005, 23:54
Generally speaking late October/ early November is prime time. The USFS updates about the leaf season on their website http://www.fs.fed.us/news/fallcolors/, but I'm not sure how often. I've always had the convenience of looking out the window :] There's also a couple of webcams on Brasstown Bald that you could check on at http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/conditions/webcam.htm
-Mark

Whistler
09-03-2005, 00:00
Oh, about the weather. For Georgia, highs in the 60-70s, lows usually 30-40s, depending on where you are in the mountains. October is one of the drier months down here, November is about average. All in all, a great time to be hiking.
-Mark

smokymtnsteve
09-03-2005, 00:11
early/mid october is a great time up in the smokies....color starts above 55oo ft in mid sept...with the mtn ash showing red first...

late sept above 5500 esp near Balsam mtn the Maple will be on fire very brillant.

the SW end of the park along the AT is more diverse..starting @ clingmans in mid oct U can walk out of "winter" thru falll wnding up in the Fontana basin with great color there late in the season

JLB
09-03-2005, 02:22
This sounds so much better than sweating in the rain. :banana

Kerosene
09-03-2005, 09:25
Fall hiking is the best, especially when you catch the peak color weeks. Less rain, cooler hiking, less humidity, no bugs, colorful pictures, fewer people; it's great. On the downside, water can be scarce, you've got to pack for a wide temperature range (below freezing for a frost to 80 degrees for an Indian Summer day), there isn't as much daylight, some town services may no longer be available since it's off-season, and you may be walking through a lot of fallen leaves if a big wind comes through (meaning you can't see the trail surface and you make a lot of noise). I've hiked the AT in all seasons and I always try to arrange work so I can go in the Fall.