PDA

View Full Version : Trail shoes with 4E width

Siarl
01-17-2014, 12:25
I just purchased some skechers and absolutely were not intended for the trail, since I will not be hiking until 2015. However, I thought this might be of use to others. Generally, I wouldn't have considered skechers for the thru-hike. I have peripheral neuropathy which isn't really important to most but for those who have it, it can cause their feet to swell and mine do somewhat. Exercise everyday along with a good pair of gold toe knee socks will keep it to a minimum. My partner spied some Skechers athletic shoes that comes in a 4E size so he purchased them for me. Now shoes can be a very personal choice so I was leery when I was informed of this. But...they fit perfectly right out of the box!

Normally shoes I wear require a break in window. Not these. They are so comfortable and I would say about 90 percent synthetic material with a small bit of leather suede here and there. But, the main point is, they fit RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX! I think I might have found my trail shoe for at least part of the thru-hike. I'm going to treat them with a waterproof...something or other I spied on Amazon and see how that works out. Skechers aren't that spendy either if that's an issue.

They are called Skechers Flex Sport 4E Width. I don't know how much they cost of if they even make them anymore...since I can't seem to find them. But if you see them and you fall into that category of needing an E width shoe...ya better snap it up.

Hope this helps those out there. :)

Siarl

fredmugs
01-22-2014, 10:21
I have hiked in Nike Air Monarchs and they look like a similar design. I would highly recommend NOT using those for a thru hike. At the very least take them on a week or longer hike where you are carrying a full pack. These types of shoes really are not designed for what you are going to encounter on the AT unless you are slack packing.

BTW - Plenty of 4E options at Zappos.

Teacher & Snacktime
01-22-2014, 10:26
The only thing I've found are Aasics....inexpensive and available in widths.

burger
01-22-2014, 11:20
I think that every New Balance shoe comes in 4E. They make a bunch of trail runners.

BrianLe
01-22-2014, 11:47
And if you look and look and look and fail to find something good among the latest crop of "these are the models we think you'll buy this year" offerings from various manufacturers ...
As a last resort, slit open the sides of a pair of 4E "nearly good enough shoes" and walk in those (which is my latest plan).

I'll try the search again next year as it's 100% certain that various models will be changed again, and perhaps shoes that work for me will go back into fashion! :-)
I bought 9 pairs of the same model of Asics in 2010 and wish now that I had bought more.

George
01-22-2014, 13:05
I think that every New Balance shoe comes in 4E. They make a bunch of trail runners.

if you have special needs try to go to a NB store, if that is not an option road runner has competent people who do phone consultation/ sales

fredmugs
01-23-2014, 12:00

I own a pair of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083GYQNU/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are great for hiking in locally but I'm not sure they would stand up to a longer hike.

Siarl
01-23-2014, 16:28
I own a pair of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083GYQNU/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are great for hiking in locally but I'm not sure they would stand up to a longer hike.

Define 'stand up to a longer hike'. Comfort wise they would not be comfortable after a 10 mile hike or just that they would wear out after awhile. I could deal with wearing out after awhile since no shoe that I've heard of so far has been able to make it the entire way from Springer to Katahdin. Comfort is the main thing. I've been wearing Crocs for the past year and so just recently I began wearing the trail runner I just mentioned in my post. The shoe is comfortable but I'm having to get used to my foot being encased in a shoe. However, so far the shoe is comfortable and is wearing well. What I have to be wary of and watch out for is where callouses form and or blisters. I will not be able to feel a blister form until it is too late. So lately I've only been hiking 5 miles two to three times per week and then examining my foot for hot spots visually. So far, the 4E Skecher is doing well. I emailed Skecher in regards to the model I am wearing and they recently replied that, of course, they no longer make that model.

I have looked into the wonderful suggestions ya'll mentioned above and New Balance seems to be the perfect place to look into further. I mean after all, if Grandma Gatewood can hike the entire way in a pair of keds then I can certainly find a comfortable but modestly affordable shoe that isn't the world's most glorified latest technified trail runner that the Pentagon can offer. LOL

fredmugs
01-24-2014, 09:35
Stand up to a longer hike = your feet are going to take a beating on the AT. More than any other trail I've hiked. Rocks and tree roots are very tough to walk over and you need an extra level of cushioning that I don't believe my NB shoes can sustain. If I was hiking the Shenandoah section then these would be ideal. From the Whites to Katahdin or the PA rocks no way.

I would definitely try the NB shoes now for training. Do a 5+ day hike with a full pack and see how your feet hold up. If you're doing a NOBO thru the trail is pretty easy to walk (not counting elevation gains) until you get to the rocks.

burger
01-24-2014, 10:08
Stand up to a longer hike = your feet are going to take a beating on the AT. More than any other trail I've hiked. Rocks and tree roots are very tough to walk over and you need an extra level of cushioning that I don't believe my NB shoes can sustain. If I was hiking the Shenandoah section then these would be ideal. From the Whites to Katahdin or the PA rocks no way.
That may be your experience, but there must be many hundreds of people that have thru-hiked the AT wearing trail runners. If you do a bit of searching here or at backpackinglight.com, you can find loads of testimonials from long-distance hikers who use trail runners. In a lot of ways, trail runners can be better than boots on uneven or rocky surfaces. The lighter weight of the shoes makes it easier to place your feet in the right place, and trail runners give you a better feel for the ground which makes it easier to avoid slipping and maintain good traction.

The issue of durability is mostly a non-issue. Thru-hikers typically replace their trail runners every 500 miles or so, which is about how long the cushioning typically lasts.

soulrebel
01-24-2014, 10:15
Just got a pair of Asics Kayanos 4E yesterday for half off...one of my favorite shoes. Usually I'll buy the Asics GT 2xxx for hiking as well since they're cheaper.

Siarl
01-24-2014, 16:34
Good, good, good!!! Takin' notes. (remember, everyone has an opinion so don't take things the wrong way or take them personal- and as my mother used to say...use your inside voice. LOL) All information is good information.

Siarl
01-24-2014, 16:42
Just got a pair of Asics Kayanos 4E yesterday for half off...one of my favorite shoes. Usually I'll buy the Asics GT 2xxx for hiking as well since they're cheaper.

I will look into this one as well. Thank you.

QiWiz
01-25-2014, 11:14

+1
The Minimus ones do not come in 4E last time I checked but most other models do. I need 4E with for my feet and NB trail runners are what I hike in. If you order from a supplier with free returns you can get some different models and sizes and return the ones that don't fit well. If you find ones you really like, buy a few pairs, as the model will not longer be available when you want to reorder. Grrrr.

Son Driven
01-25-2014, 11:45
I just purchased some skechers and absolutely were not intended for the trail, since I will not be hiking until 2015. However, I thought this might be of use to others. Generally, I wouldn't have considered skechers for the thru-hike. I have peripheral neuropathy which isn't really important to most but for those who have it, it can cause their feet to swell and mine do somewhat. Exercise everyday along with a good pair of gold toe knee socks will keep it to a minimum. My partner spied some Skechers athletic shoes that comes in a 4E size so he purchased them for me. Now shoes can be a very personal choice so I was leery when I was informed of this. But...they fit perfectly right out of the box!

Normally shoes I wear require a break in window. Not these. They are so comfortable and I would say about 90 percent synthetic material with a small bit of leather suede here and there. But, the main point is, they fit RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX! I think I might have found my trail shoe for at least part of the thru-hike. I'm going to treat them with a waterproof...something or other I spied on Amazon and see how that works out. Skechers aren't that spendy either if that's an issue.

They are called Skechers Flex Sport 4E Width. I don't know how much they cost of if they even make them anymore...since I can't seem to find them. But if you see them and you fall into that category of needing an E width shoe...ya better snap it up.

Hope this helps those out there. :)

Siarl

http://www.altrazerodrop.com/fitness/en/Altra/Men/olympus-men Just ordered the fresh of the assembly line Olympus from Altra. I also have neuorpathy, and a wide foot. After about 700 miles I switched to the Altra lonepeak 1.5 wide toe box zero drop shoe. They saved my hike. My toes spread out ran out of space and became blistered up. My feet still feeling battered and bruised from 2013, I am anxious to see how the big cushion that is incorporated into the Olympus works. Anyways, I need to get both my body weight and pack weight down to give my feet a chance of being able to complete another hike in 2014.

George
01-25-2014, 12:16
durability is mostly an issue of logistics and budget, I used ultra light mesh runners that only lasted about 250 miles each, but worked fantastic - I have switched to a heavier runner that I expect more like 500 mi - the important thing is to have a realistic idea of useful life and a setup for replacement

Phlashlite
01-28-2014, 11:14
You should look at keens

ChuckT
01-28-2014, 13:20
Keens last (Target II) is distinctive. Gives my toes plenty of wriggle room. Am waiting on my 3rd different New Balance Trail Runners. NB's last seems to be straighter then Keens so I'm not having much luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk