PDA

View Full Version : WISE food

Damn Yankee
01-17-2014, 12:36
Does anyone use this product? What are the pros and cons?

kayak karl
01-17-2014, 20:30
might want to check a survivalist forum. you planning all mail drops?

grayfox
01-18-2014, 11:41
YMMV--I find this brand to be too salty and more expensive than regular brands like Backpacker's Pantry. Hands down best dried food is put together myself using the fruits, veggies, and beans from Harmony House(get the starter kit from rei for about $50) and FD meats from Emergency Esentials. Add spices, and sauces from any grocery to taste. Zip locks have lasted a year and vacu sealed have lasted several years--stored in a cool, dark, and dry place.

pelenaka
01-18-2014, 12:50
Poor to fair reviews on the prepping forums I visit. Reasons sited are a high carb (cheap carbs) low protein ratio, high sodium levels along with poor taste.

I personally have used Thrive brand highly recommend it. An added plus is that you can request samples from a rep before buying. Besides #10 cans they also carry what they call pantry size 5lbs.

Damn Yankee
01-18-2014, 23:49
I have received a sample from them and have not used it yet. I'm getting ready to go out for a couple nights and thought I would give it a try. I might consider food drops when I do the Harpers Ferry to Damascus for Trail Days this year but have a lot of exercising to do before then and also get new boots/shoes. There is an outdoor store here but, there food is very expensive and thought this might be something worth checking out. Thank you for the replies.

Kraken Skullz
02-27-2014, 10:22
I got a sample from them which comes with the expectation that you will order at least a week's supply through them. They are more expensive than the classic mre but boast a 25 year shelf life. The one that I got was just okay. Definitely not worth the price when compared to mountain house or other freeze dried options. If you are a prepper then you might want to check out their storage containers for multi person prepping as it does get semi reasonable if you are willing to buy a larger packet but for camping and backpacking, there are better options.