PDA

View Full Version : great knot for stakes

sierraDoug
09-03-2005, 02:44
I just tried this knot around a pen and it looks promising. It's a quick release clove hitch. Maybe it's not news to others, but I figured a few might get a kick out of it. Brought to you by big bad Ray Jardine...
http://www.ray-way.com/tarp-nettent/butterfly/index.shtml

Bob Baker
09-03-2005, 10:19
The knot looks cool. The only problem I can think of is it looks hard to tie so it might be hard to do at night. Also I use v shaped stakes so i dont know if it would work as well.

papa john
09-03-2005, 10:49
I use the standard clove hitch. With about 5 minutes of practice you can do it with your eyes closed. I don't use the added quick release. Never needed it. All I do is to pull up the stake and slide it off the loops and then the knot unties itself.

Footslogger
09-03-2005, 11:35
Pretty hard to beat a tautline hitch around a stake. Nice thing is that if tied correctly it can be easily adjusted and does not slip. You can also make it a "slippery" tautline by running making a loop in the working end of the line. One tug and the knot comes loose.

'Slogger

sierraDoug
09-03-2005, 12:01
I use the standard clove hitch. With about 5 minutes of practice you can do it with your eyes closed. I don't use the added quick release. Never needed it. All I do is to pull up the stake and slide it off the loops and then the knot unties itself.
He says the quick release is necessary for the very thin flat line he sells/hypes for tarp tie outs since it won't slip off the stakes (too grippy).

Nightwalker
09-03-2005, 14:07
I think that it's the same knot that I always use; at least it looks the same.

Stick the stake halfway in the ground. Pull the rope taut. Wrap the line around the stake twice. Pull a loop through and pull tight.

It won't come off accidentally, but it pulls loose on purpose very easily. It also ties in about three seconds, even when tired.

:clap

Dances with Mice
09-03-2005, 16:13
I think that it's the same knot that I always use; at least it looks the same.

Stick the stake halfway in the ground. Pull the rope taut. Wrap the line around the stake twice. Pull a loop through and pull tight.

It won't come off accidentally, but it pulls loose on purpose very easily. It also ties in about three seconds, even when tired.

:clapI just tie a slip knot in the line where the stake should go - mas o menos. Put stake through loop and stick it in the ground, nothing to write home about.