PDA

View Full Version : Blister Question

Seesfar
01-17-2014, 19:09
So I have not been a hiker for a long time. I am just hiking for exercise right now in hopes of an AT hike. Here is the problem. When I get to about 4 miles, I get a hot spot on the ball of each foot. Just a few move steps and it is a blister. I don't think my feet are an anatomical problem. Wearing new REI hiking socks. Help Please.
Thank You

Seesfar
01-17-2014, 19:10
a few "more" steps... sorry

hikerboy57
01-17-2014, 19:15
you might want to change inner soles.try superfeet.if its on the ball of your foot, its most likely either the inner soles, or your socks are moving around too much, or both.

Seesfar
01-17-2014, 19:21
Holy Cow, it is now a blood blister on each foot in the same place...

Seesfar
01-17-2014, 19:24
I was wearing my hunting boots today but they are nice Meindl boots. I have had the exact thing happen with trail runners.
Thanks for suggestion Hikerboy

hikerboy57
01-17-2014, 19:27
it seems to me your feet are sliding on you r insoles, meaning the sock/insole isnt working or your shoes arent sized properly, and your foot is sliding forward too much. you can try lacing your shoes so that your heel is snug against the heel cup and stays there as you walk.

gumball
01-17-2014, 19:37
it seems to me your feet are sliding on you r insoles, meaning the sock/insole isnt working or your shoes arent sized properly, and your foot is sliding forward too much. you can try lacing your shoes so that your heel is snug against the heel cup and stays there as you walk.. Yes, it could be a number of things. Are also carrying a pack?

Blissful
01-17-2014, 20:43
Ill fitting shoes and insoles. Honestly I wasn't happy with REI socks.

Seesfar
01-18-2014, 01:25
Yeah I think you are right. Being winter here, I walk in the boots but they are a bit sloppy. I will work on the insoles and socks. Suggestions on socks?

Seesfar
01-18-2014, 01:26
No, I was not carrying a pack.

gumball
01-18-2014, 07:35
I use a nice small liner and a running sock--neither are thick, but I get moisture absorption and plenty of good fit. I also wear a hiking shoe one size larger than my normal shoe size.

Sugarfoot
01-18-2014, 11:27
Jeff Patrick of Mount Rogers Outfitters put me on to applying Glide or Blister Armour to my feet before pulling on my socks as a great blister preventative. There's usually one of those or a similar product in the foot care section of most pharmacies. It is especially effective on hot humid days or in the rain and I haven't had a blister since I started using the stuff. Replacing the insoles with SuperFeet (I used the green in trail runners) and good socks can really help. I've never used REI socks. Darned Tough are great but lately I've found a brand I like even better, FITS.

Seesfar
01-18-2014, 12:04
Thank You very much

gumball
01-18-2014, 18:55
Oh yes, what sugar foot says, too! Antiperspirant works in a pinch.

HighLiner
01-18-2014, 19:05
Your boots should feel like a good fitting pair of sneakers. If not you have poor fitting boots. I finally got over blisters, which usually occurred about day four, by purchasing boots one size bigger than I usually wear. Your feet will swell, particularly with a pack on. For me problem solved. I have not had blisters in 500 miles. Hope this is useful. The health of your feet will destroy a hike faster than anything else.

Don H
01-18-2014, 20:46
Yeah I think you are right. Being winter here, I walk in the boots but they are a bit sloppy. I will work on the insoles and socks. Suggestions on socks?

I use Smartwool Mid-weight Hikers
I never liked liners, made my feet slide around too much.

Son Driven
01-18-2014, 21:13
Try the Bauer sock liners that hockey players use, not cheap but worth it.

fredmugs
01-19-2014, 23:43
Your boots should feel like a good fitting pair of sneakers. If not you have poor fitting boots. I finally got over blisters, which usually occurred about day four, by purchasing boots one size bigger than I usually wear. Your feet will swell, particularly with a pack on. For me problem solved. I have not had blisters in 500 miles. Hope this is useful. The health of your feet will destroy a hike faster than anything else.

Not only that but get footwear with a wider width. I used to blister horribly and switching to wide width trail runners that are loosely tied has made all the difference.