PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and Initial Thoughts of Being Prepared

JaketheFake
01-17-2014, 20:34
Hikers,

My name is Brandon (JaketheFake) and I live in Houston. A thru hike has been on my list "to do" and I almost jumped into it in 2013...but then decided it would be better in a few years. Right now the goal is 2016 or 2017. I turn 50 in November 2016 and that might be really cool having just finished the trail? For those who have done it...what are the pros and cons of being over prepared versus under-prepared. I mean, this is a 6 month adventure if you start off a little slow does it matter? Do you run the risk of dropping out because let's face it...its chilly in April up there and being prepared is probabally at that point more mental than physical? On the other hand I am terrified about knowing "too much" about the trail and being one of these hikers that has already thru hiked it three times in their mind and from books and talking about it etc. Another unknown are drops and resupply...what are some opinions (there are no real totally right or totally wrong answers). I would like to understand more about drops and resupply. Finally, as a further introduction, I have hunted, trapped, fish and camped all my life. Note...I left off hiking...have not done any real serious hiking, but I do know what it is like to spend a night or two in the woods... I have been doing it since I was 10. Finally, although I won't be able to leave a trail of money, my budget will enable me not too worry about the added cost of buying Snickers "in town" versus in a resupply box...so this has to be factored into how I will resupply my hike. I appreciate all tips and pointers. I am sure some of my questions are answered elsewhere on this site, and I am sure I will eventually explore it fully. For now, I just wanted to say hello and look forward to talking with other hikers.

HighLiner
01-17-2014, 21:34
Maybe you should start by doing some short trips near your home. A lot will be learned that way. Good luck.

JaketheFake
01-17-2014, 21:41
Highliner... good point. I have done some mountain bike/camping along C&O Canal towpath (which ends in Harper's Ferry). So I am not a complete novice. I am considering trying a SMALL stretch before the big push....maybe out in Big Bend in Tejas? But no, I am not going to just show up in Georgia without a dry run or two.

mountain squid
01-17-2014, 21:48
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs087.gif to WB! Check out my 'how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)' thread. It's a bunch of links to other threads that you may find useful.

Good Luck on your planning.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

bfayer
01-17-2014, 22:00
Here is my take, keep in mind I am an insignificant weekend/section hiker.

As long as you don't have any special dietary needs, are not too picky about what you eat, and you don't take any special medications that are not available at a small town drug store, mail drops are not necessary. Very few folks that live in the vicinity of the AT starve to death for lack of available food. I have always been able to find some place to buy food when I needed it.

So don't stress the resupply, or over plan mail drops. If I were to do a thru hike, I would do a few mail drops, just for comfort items and for my family to send me stuff, but I don't think I would worry about it very much one way or the other.

hikerboy57
01-17-2014, 22:26
you'll be fine. its just 6 months worth of week long section hikes. you can figure it out as you go along.resupply is usually every 3-5 days and its pretty easy finding stuff to eat.
you dont need to overthink it. its just walking.

Spirit Walker
01-17-2014, 22:30
Biggest problem with being overprepared is you think you know everything you need to know about thruhiking the trail, but reality is always different. It doesn't matter how many journals you read, your experience will be unique. One of the main reasons so many go home in the early stages of the trail is because reality doesn't live up to their expectations of the experience. If you don't have those expectations, you won't be disappointed. You'll be expecting to just go with the flow and you'll accept the Trail as it is. Over the years I've seen some of the best prepared hikers be the first to go home, because they couldn't adjust to the reality they found.

That said, I think it is easier to thruhike if you have prior hiking and camping experience. Texas has a lot of State Parks. Many have overnight hiking possibilities. There is also the Lone Star Trail. Get out as often as you can before you leave. If you aren't going for a couple of years, take your long vacation and go someplace where you can learn about hiking and camping in all kinds of weather. (Big Bend is a beautiful place, but it is nothing like the Appalachians. Hot and dry vs. wet and rocky.)

When I did the AT, I decided in December to hike the trail. I read the Rodale books and the guidebooks, and took off in April. That was plenty of time to prepare maildrops and collect all my gear. On my second thruhike I had three weeks to prepare for my hike (left my job unexpectedly.) That was really all the time I needed. I did only a couple of maildrops, and mostly bought as I went. I used the gear I had acquired in the four years between the two thruhikes. My next long hike I had to wait 7 years because of finances and job issues. I did a lot of research on the CDT-- as much as was possible back then -- which meant I read a few books and spent a lot of time studying the guidebooks and asking questions on the CDT forum. I thought I knew what to expect, and, to a large extent, I did. That didn't really make it any easier. I still had to walk every step, deal with weather, resupply, injury and navigation. What made it easier was that in those seven years, I hiked and backpacked every weekend. I knew I had the determination to finish, the desire, and the experience to be flexible with the vicissitudes of trail life. For the PCT we just bought the guidebooks and took off a few months later. No preparation, no planning, we just went. A lot of the people we met on the three trails were winging it, just as we were. It can be more than enough.

4shot
01-18-2014, 00:09
Hikers,

For those who have done it...what are the pros and cons of being over prepared versus under-prepared. I mean, this is a 6 month adventure if you start off a little slow does it matter? Do you run the risk of dropping out because let's face it...its chilly in April up there and being prepared is probabally at that point more mental than physical? On the other hand I am terrified about knowing "too much" about the trail and being one of these hikers that has already thru hiked it three times in their mind and from books and talking about it etc. Another unknown are drops and resupply...what are some opinions (there are no real totally right or totally wrong answers). I would like to understand more about drops and resupply. Finally, as a further introduction, I have hunted, trapped, fish and camped all my life.

interesting first pos. I'll share my $.02. I think you can and should prepare as much as possible. Like you, I had a lifetime fascination with the AT and a background of being active in the outdoors but had never backpacked prior to doing my thruhike. so I did the best job I could in researching the gear aspect and took some short trips that winter to test my gear in adverse conditions. In other words, don't camp on the pretty weekends.That was helpful...I knew my gear would in fact keep me comfortable in conditions that probably were worse than what I would see on the AT.

Reading all the AT books did not help me. They were entertaining and fascinating but it's like a teenager learning about sex from a biology textbook. it may be an accurate description but it is nothing like the real thing. It's kind of the same with the short trips I took before the trip... they helped me but somewhere I knew in the back of my mind that in only 2 or 3 days I would be back to my routine. that's not the same feeling you get when you are out for months on end. otoh, one of the tricks to finishing is to just focus on the next short section (eat the elephant one bite at a time) and not dwell on the larger goal.

as far as resupply, it's fairly easy as others have said. I chose at first to skip the maildrops but about half way through I kind of got burnt out on the standard hiker fare. my wife started dehydrating food and mailing it to me. Not for every resupply but enough to break up the monotony of the instant rice/potatoes/pasta and tuna pouches.

you have found a pretty good source of information. It will be a bit overwhelming at times because there is so much contradictory information and opinions. what that really means is there a bunch of ways to skin the cat and everyone has their own method. However, in acquiring gear, get the best you can afford from the start. For backpacking gear, the old adage "you get what you pay for" is certainly true.If you linger/lurk here long enough you will begin to recognize the names that serious hikers trust. these will not usually be found at the super wally world in your town.

good luck and welcome to WB.

theGABE
01-18-2014, 03:41
I read a lot before starting my thru. What I learned when I started hiking was that I knew nothing. And that made it fun too, so don't be worried about being super prepared. Hell, I had never gone backpacking in my life before I jumped on the A.T.

fiddlehead
01-18-2014, 06:13
It takes 1,000 miles to get in true "thru-hiker shape" IMO.
So, if you come to the trail completely out of shape and a novice, you very well may get discouraged when your feet hurt, shoulders hurt, waist is scraped raw, and you're surprised at how nothing seems to ever dry out and there are gnats constantly in your eyes.
Then you sprain your ankle because you're carrying too much weight.

Will you go home? Or tough it out until those 1,000 miles are up and all of the above is something you've learned to deal with and enjoy?

Or, a better idea, why not get a few hundred of those 1,000 miles under your belt now and make your thru-hike even more enjoyable???

magic_game03
01-18-2014, 06:48
First thing I'd do if I were you is get another name, 'jakethefake' sounds creepy. Sorry, but there is another thread out there that is mulling over creepy people. If I first met you and you told me your name is 'Jake-the-fake' my creep meter goes from '1' to about '5', quick. If I meet you on the trail and you tell me your name is 'jakethefake' my creep meter goes from '1' strait to '10' and I watch you like a hawk without ever turning my back to you.

JaketheFake
01-18-2014, 12:50
First thing I'd do if I were you is get another name, 'jakethefake' sounds creepy. Sorry, but there is another thread out there that is mulling over creepy people. If I first met you and you told me your name is 'Jake-the-fake' my creep meter goes from '1' to about '5', quick. If I meet you on the trail and you tell me your name is 'jakethefake' my creep meter goes from '1' strait to '10' and I watch you like a hawk without ever turning my back to you.

Would it make a difference if I told you my "name" was given to me when I was 10 years old and "loafing" during a routine Pop Warner Football practice? I read all the posts about creepy peeps...are you one of those girls? haha! All kidding aside, I get your point. Regarding points, thank you for everyone who replied...there was a lot of good information in EVERY reply. I especially liked Spirit Walker's regarding expectations... and reality versus expectations...it seems that would be a potential challenge of becoming a walking encyclopedia of the AT before trying a hike. TheGabe's input as equally motivating. 4shot's thoughts on maildrops from home and Fiddlehead's thoughts on laying down a few hikes now BEFORE the AT. All good stuff. Thank you.

One more question for all.... how many ounces does a "creep meter" weigh? Are they unisex or do I need to buy a "female creep meter"? Should I also carry a "male creep meter"? Do they all go to 10....or certain models go to 11? Just planning here and having fun.

JaketheFake
01-18-2014, 12:58
Oh....and mountain squid, thank you for pointing me in the direction of teh "how to hike" thread... I will definately be checking that out.

swonut
01-18-2014, 13:12
Jake- I'm about to launch a thru, grew up in South Louisiana, but have moved to VA and the terrain is much different. Your questions hit home. I got to spend about two hours picking the brains of two thru hikers at the local independent gear store and the take away is that if you are not financially mega constrained and you have someone who can drop you a box, you can overcome just about any issue. The learning curve is steep at the beginning, and you will be hungry and tired and likely cold at the start, but you will dial in your gear quickly and tend to discard things much more than you need things.

One thing I do plan to do, is to mail a box to myself in the nearest trail town and just go through the process.

Also if you are in the "bubble" of thru hikers, there will likely always be someone that can bridge any crazy issues that may come up.

HikerMom58
01-18-2014, 13:27
Jake- I'm about to launch a thru, grew up in South Louisiana, but have moved to VA and the terrain is much different. Your questions hit home. I got to spend about two hours picking the brains of two thru hikers at the local independent gear store and the take away is that if you are not financially mega constrained and you have someone who can drop you a box, you can overcome just about any issue. The learning curve is steep at the beginning, and you will be hungry and tired and likely cold at the start, but you will dial in your gear quickly and tend to discard things much more than you need things.

One thing I do plan to do, is to mail a box to myself in the nearest trail town and just go through the process.

Yes, indeed. That's called a bounce box! :)

Also if you are in the "bubble" of thru hikers, there will likely always be someone that can bridge any crazy issues that may come up.

Good thinking going on there, swonut..

JaketheFake... looks like ur going to fit right into this forum! :>)

Furlough
01-18-2014, 17:09

Hmmm....... that old, don't judge a book by its cover adage, sure comes to mind after reading this response.

JaketheFake
01-18-2014, 18:08
I just want to avoid creepy woman at all costs! :)

snail2010
01-18-2014, 19:17
Don't worry all "creepies" are quickly identified and word of them zips down the trail in both directions.lol!

Old Hiker
01-19-2014, 12:39
Hey, Jake - welcome to WhiteBlaze from a fellow Texican currently in Florida.

How to section helped me a LOT. Also - lurk a while, watch the "trolls" and take their advice for what's it worth, including changing your name. Check out Amplexus' you-tube video, then look up "amplexus". You may end up with a worse name!

Do a LOT of research in what you want to carry. I ended up with a LightHeart gear SoLong 6 for my shelter after an ALPS Zephyr 1. Zephyr is still a good tent, though. I just dropped about 1.5 pounds or so with the SoLong (as well as some cash!). I learned weight, weight, weight.

AWOL has a hikers guide that he updates every year that was VERY useful to me for my 497 mile attempt in 2012. More useful, I think, than anything else.

The AT guidebooks were a waste of money in my opinion. AWOL covered everything I needed. The AT maps were nice, though.

Check out trailjournals.com as well - not only the hikers who made it, but those who didn't through the years.

Good luck - hope to see you in 2016 - part of the "Sweet 16's".

None yet
01-19-2014, 20:10
Great trails near Houston - Brazos Bend State Park, The Lone Star Trail; in Houston are numerous trails along the bayous and Memorial.

JaketheFake
01-19-2014, 23:36
Thank you. I was thinking about doing the Lonestar Trail for a trial run. But under no circumstances am I changing my name! :)

JaketheFake
01-19-2014, 23:38
Old Hiker... I will check out AWOL's! Thank you. I have been reading some of the articles on hear... I would venture to guess.... One could pull off a successful hike by using this site ONLY? There is a ton of info !

futureatwalker
01-20-2014, 03:42
Welcome to WB JaketheFake!

A couple of thoughts on your question:

With your background in camping and hunting, you might find thru-hiking to be a different beast. Indeed, when I was doing the Georgia section of the trail, I ran into an experienced thru-hiker, and marvelled at how light his pack was. He said something that stuck with me: "Thru-hiking isn't the same as backpacking".

I think he's right. When you are doing the AT, you are walking tons. Having camped previously is great, but you are hiking all day, every day. As a slightly older hiker (and I'm in the same boat), you need to prepare your body for this. Also, getting some hiking in before the trip kind of extends the experience, in my opinion,

I wish you the best.

Malto
01-20-2014, 08:07
Jake,
preparation comes in many forms. I don't believe that you can over-prepare getting physically ready for this experience. The just wing crowd make up a large majority of the 70-75 percent that don't finish. Second, I don't think you can over prepare getting mentally ready for a thru. Go hike in the rain, snow, darkness and every other condition. The more this is done the easier it is to deal with the inevitable mentally challenges that you will face on the trail. The trail WILL be TOO wet, cold, hot, steep, flat, overgrown, rocky, snowy, icy etc. make the word TOO go away.

finally, gear. Generally hiker spend more time on gear than the two items above. And it is unfortunate. Without experience you will be making decisions based on how others hike not how you will evolve to hike. IMHO there is no possible way to over prepare with experience. I would suggest if at all possible to do a mid range trail like the JMT prior to your thru. That is basically a trial run for food, gear, resupply etc. as you gain your experience then tweak your gear. I would suggest going as light as possible, possible being a point you pick. Not others.

as far as reading trail journals, whiteblaze etc, yes in this way you can over prepare. I was definitely guilty of that and while it wasn't helpful it likely didn't take away from the overall experience. BUT, if it causes you to spend less time of the above three items then I believe it could be a negative.

skinnbones
01-20-2014, 08:19
Just curious Spirit walker, how much more difficult is the CDT compared to the AT?

skinnbones
01-20-2014, 08:22
That's my game plan... I don't want to know what it feels like to don a pack until I get to Springer. I think I will enjoy the "Shock" factor.

JaketheFake
01-20-2014, 11:42
That's my game plan... I don't want to know what it feels like to don a pack until I get to Springer. I think I will enjoy the "Shock" factor.

Malto, thank you for your advice. I have spent many long hours in the elements but never 24 hours... I will take your advice on preparation. And unlike skinbones, I will know the "shock factor" of my pack long before Springer...but to each his own.

The generosity of information on this site is overwhelming. I appreciate all posts and replies.

mountain squid
01-20-2014, 18:38
Oh....and mountain squid, thank you for pointing me in the direction of teh "how to hike" thread... I will definately be checking that out.
You're Welcome, JaketheFake. Since you are not hiking this year, I would also suggest making a pre-trip down to Mountain Crossings (http://www.mountaincrossings.com/aboutus.asp) in GA. A weekend when the NOBO hikers are coming thru would be best, if possible. You might also consider Trail Days (http://www.traildays.us/), this year or next. I'm not sure of the dates.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

(http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?100363-2014-Norovirus-Awareness)some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail)&highlight=)
maintenance videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/mountainsquid04/videos)

4eyedbuzzard
01-20-2014, 21:30
Thank you. I was thinking about doing the Lonestar Trail for a trial run. But under no circumstances am I changing my name! :)The Lonestar will be good for gear shakedowns and camp practice and such, but it won't prepare you for hiking in the mountains. You might want to take a trip up to Oklahoma and hike sections of the Ouachita Trail to get a better idea of what hiking in the mountains is like. I was just up there and did a short section this weekend. Not that it's as difficult as the AT is in some places, but at least it has some significant elevation changes, climbs, and a mix of terrain. The Lonestar just isn't a good representation of what hiking trails in the mountains are like.

4shot
01-20-2014, 22:10

as 4eyedbuzzard said, hiking in the mountains was plenty of shock factor in and of itself for guys from Texas, Fla, etc. and other flat places.In my prehike training, I could do 18 miles with pack in the hills around my house....starting at Springer it was a challenge doing 10. just didn't have the elevation to train in. HYOh but a lot of us middle age guys and gals found enough challenges and shock factor even with planning and training. best wishes on ypur hike.

JaketheFake
01-20-2014, 22:49
FYI.... That response about shock factor was not from me (Jake )... Some duds named skinnbones. I think the thread was. "Hi-jacked " Just to set the record straight... I reflect the task of attempting a thru-hike much more than insulting it with zero prep. This Texan has every intention to know what the shock of his pack feels like long before he leaves the the borders of Tejas!

4shot
01-20-2014, 23:06
FYI.... That response about shock factor was not from me (Jake )... Some duds named skinnbones. I think the thread was. "Hi-jacked " Just to set the record straight... I reflect the task of attempting a thru-hike much more than insulting it with zero prep. This Texan has every intention to know what the shock of his pack feels like long before he leaves the the borders of Tejas!

understood Jake. I was responding to him. not saying that "just showing up" can't work either.
otoh,early on, and I mean the first week or so, I saw a really nice couple from Buffalo or Detroit or one of those places....they were decked out with the best gear and it was all brand spankin' new. They were going to thru hike the AT to lose weight as they had tried everything else.I helped them set up one evening as they had not done a shakedown. They got past Neel's Gap but didn't get out of Ga. I really hated it as they seemed sincere and were really nice people.They just showed up.I think they could have made it with just a bit of prep time.

Malto
01-20-2014, 23:29
understood Jake. I was responding to him. not saying that "just showing up" can't work either.
otoh,early on, and I mean the first week or so, I saw a really nice couple from Buffalo or Detroit or one of those places....they were decked out with the best gear and it was all brand spankin' new. They were going to thru hike the AT to lose weight as they had tried everything else.I helped them set up one evening as they had not done a shakedown. They got past Neel's Gap but didn't get out of Ga. I really hated it as they seemed sincere and were really nice people.They just showed up.I think they could have made it with just a bit of prep time.

Unfortunately nice doesn't get you down the trail. Preparation and fitness (physical and mental) does. Few are going succeed with a "lets try hiking the AT as a first hike" mentality." Yes, it has happened but the odds are so against it, even worse than the 70-75% total that don't make it. It also explain a lot of the 15% that don't make it past Neels Gap.

skinnbones
01-21-2014, 08:10
Could be I worded my statement wrong. I have been waiting for a very long time to hike the AT. I want to be shocked, overwhelmed, and excited when begin my trek. I don't want to know before hand what backpacking is all about. I want the Appalachian Trail to introduce me to all the joys and pains of walking on her. Being "Shocked" sounds like part of the adventure to me.

Damn Yankee
01-21-2014, 09:24
Trail Days begin on the week-end of May 16-18, 2014

Damn Yankee
01-21-2014, 09:36
One thing I have noticed lately(not hiking for many years)is that I always pack my pack with many items I don't really need. It's the old "Always be prepared" adage of the military. I have done many trips up Mt. Washington and into Kings Ravine and thought hiking the trails would be the same but, after recently doing two 6-8m hikes on the AT, I found that the constantly long inclines really wore me out. I do have a bad back so pack weight is an issue for me. The mental aspect of overcoming the long, minuteness of what I call hitting the wall is very hard so, I think preparing yourself mentally and physically is priority. You may also want to check out the backpacking light forum for ideas on how to cut pack weight. From what I have read, it seems that a pack weight of around 10-15lbs. is all you need using small alcohol stoves and lightweight gear.

hikerboy57
01-21-2014, 09:36
Could be I worded my statement wrong. I have been waiting for a very long time to hike the AT. I want to be shocked, overwhelmed, and excited when begin my trek. I don't want to know before hand what backpacking is all about. I want the Appalachian Trail to introduce me to all the joys and pains of walking on her. Being "Shocked" sounds like part of the adventure to me.
most "shocked" people go home.

Hill Ape
01-21-2014, 10:24
couple of yall in this thread are getting some great advice from ones that have been there/done that, and summited katahdin at the end of it all. give it some thought, they are trying to help you

4eyedbuzzard
01-21-2014, 11:16
Could be I worded my statement wrong. I have been waiting for a very long time to hike the AT. I want to be shocked, overwhelmed, and excited when begin my trek. I don't want to know before hand what backpacking is all about. I want the Appalachian Trail to introduce me to all the joys and pains of walking on her. Being "Shocked" sounds like part of the adventure to me.Not trying to be mean, just realistic/pragmatic, but yours is likely a recipe for failure, very early on.
Right now you are merely infatuated with the romantic notion of thru-hiking. The trail, she is beautiful, but she is a high maintenance girl. You might want to date her a few times first before committing to a relationship.

Malto
01-21-2014, 12:30
Not trying to be mean, just realistic/pragmatic, but yours is likely a recipe for failure, very early on.
Right now you are merely infatuated with the romantic notion of thru-hiking. The trail, she is beautiful, but she is a high maintenance girl. You might want to date her a few times first before committing to a relationship.

Beautifully worded!!!!! And sometimes she can be a downright b$&@$

HikerMom58
01-21-2014, 12:45
Not trying to be mean, just realistic/pragmatic, but yours is likely a recipe for failure, very early on.

Wow.. gotta hand it to ya! You knocked this one outta the park! :D

Beautifully worded!!!!! And sometimes she can be a downright b$&@$

True dat!

ChuckT
01-21-2014, 12:50
You might want to think about labeling your stuff sacks. I've wasted a few anxious moments (yes I am that) wondering just where the H did I stash such and such.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk