PDA

View Full Version : New hiking gear suggestions for a newbie

Praha4
01-18-2014, 11:27
There are a zillion articles, book and WB posts on hiking gear. I have a relative who wants to start section hiking the AT this year. He lives near Charlotte, NC. He is starting from scratch, had nothing, and asking me for suggestions. Thought I would pose the question here. We've all been there, starting from scratch. Our gear selections evolve over time with more experience. I have a gear room almost full of 2, 3, or 4 of almost everything.... backpacks, tents, tarps, bags, water filters, sleeping pads, etc. (not to mention hiking clothes, socks and shoes) And what works for you or me, might not work for Joe Sixpack or my relative, or that guy across the street. I want to avoid advising him to go out and buy the most expensive sleeping bag, backpack, or tent, because I have no idea if this is an activity he will stick with. So I wonder if anyone here can suggest a "beginners - Economy" hiking gear list, that might be out there somewhere. (something besides driving to Walmart and buying the Ozark Trails or whatever Walmart brand stuff is on the shelf). My first advice to him was drive over to the closest REI store or some other outfitter and browse the different brands and styles they have in stock before shelling out money. I was thinking more in the line of a Eureka Spitfire Tent, maybe an REI Flash backpack, and some kind of "economy" 30 degree sleeping bag (if there is such a thing). Aqua mira for water treatment, a cheapie canister stove, and go from there..... any suggestions welcome.

Sandy of PA
01-18-2014, 11:42
I had a sister in the same situation, I used it as an oppertunity to clear out some good, but slightly heavier gear by shipping a full setup to her!

4shot
01-18-2014, 11:42
one other option for him...look into renting a pack, tent and bag for his first trip. some outfitters do this (I think REI will). aqua Mira is relatively cheap. loan him a stove and help him with clothing list and food list. if he likes his first trip then he can think about buying gear.

MuddyWaters
01-18-2014, 12:09
I would reccomend to anyone to buy lightweight high quality proven USED gear if at all possible.

Ive been known to do that myself even.

If it doesnt work for you or your plans change, your out minimal $ because you can usually resell at about what you paid for it.

Not as exciting as making that trip to REI and coming home with a carload of stuff though.

Nooga
01-18-2014, 14:21
one other option for him...look into renting a pack, tent and bag for his first trip. some outfitters do this (I think REI will). aqua Mira is relatively cheap. loan him a stove and help him with clothing list and food list. if he likes his first trip then he can think about buying gear.

This is good advice.

bigcranky
01-18-2014, 16:32
I would start with the Mountain Crossings Method as listed in that Backpacker article (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4). It's a pretty good starting point for AT hiking.

q-tip
01-18-2014, 19:09
I have a number of extensive gear and other hiking lists. If you are interested, send me a PM with your email and I will forward..