PDA

View Full Version : suggestions

Hoop
01-18-2014, 11:59
Anyone familiar with Loft Mountain Campground in the SNP as a base for some day hikes and possible overnighters in June for moderate hiking?

Suggestions for other locations in the general area welcome, too.

Thanks!

Mr. Bumpy
01-18-2014, 12:10
I couldn't tell you about hiking, but a few years back I spent a night there on a bicycle tour. I saw the biggest bear I have ever seen sunning itself on the Skyline Drive. It stretched nearly all the way across an entire lane. At the campground a deer eat through and nearly destroyed pannier bag.

Furlough
01-18-2014, 14:21
Anyone familiar with Loft Mountain Campground in the SNP as a base for some day hikes and possible overnighters in June for moderate hiking?

Suggestions for other locations in the general area welcome, too.

Thanks!

Hello Hoop - See if you can get a copy of Johnny Malloy's Day and Overnight Hikes for the Shenandoah National Park. A couple of hikes I can recommend are: Rocky Mount Loop - 9.8 miles. Falls Loop from Browns Gap - 6.6 miles. Hazletop-Rapidan Camp Loop - 7.2 miles.

Furlough

Cookerhiker
01-20-2014, 20:57
When I hiked all of the AT in SNP via day hikes, I usually base-camped at Lewis Mountain campground. It's the smallest of the Park's 4 campgrounds and thus quieter. It's reasonably central to the Park's Central and South Districts.

I suggest contacting the PATC (http://www.patc.net/PublicView/) for their guide on circuit hikes in SNP.

4eyedbuzzard
01-20-2014, 23:40
The Doyles River/Jones Run Trail(s) goes past three nice waterfalls and combines with the AT for a nice loop, maybe 9 miles or so. Considered one of the best hikes in SNP. From Loft Mountain head south, Doyle River Trail splits to the left turns and parallels the AT a good ways down from the ridge, turns into the Jones Run Trail, and then climbs back up and rejoins the AT about maybe 4 miles south. From there make a right and head north on the AT back to Loft Mountain. Approximately 9 miles with some pretty good downs and then ups. Agree strongly with getting a book and map on hikes in the area. Lots of trails to make great loop hikes with from Loft Mountain and from other campgrounds.

Rocket Jones
01-21-2014, 10:29
The SNP website has quite a few loop hikes listed and mapped out, spread throughout the park. I'm sure at least a couple might be of interest.