PDA

View Full Version : size of clothes stuff sack(s).

squeezebox
01-18-2014, 12:16
What size is your clothes sack(s), winter and summer? And how do you organize your clothes?

MuddyWaters
01-18-2014, 12:27
Organize? There shouldnt be enough to worry about organization.

Coffee
01-18-2014, 13:54
What size is your clothes sack(s), winter and summer? And how do you organize your clothes?
I've stopped using a stuff sack for clothing. I don't carry much extra clothing and what I do carry is more effectively packed loose to optimize the way the pack rides. A stuff sack makes it harder to optimize space.

The Old Boot
01-18-2014, 14:18
I've turned to using gallon sized zip locks for packing my clothing. It gives them some protections against getting wet (like dropping them in the water running under my tarp) and allows me to pack them in the nooks and crannies rather than having to find a specific spot for them.

Happy44
01-18-2014, 16:21
i use a 20L dry sack from OR

RedBeerd
01-18-2014, 16:27
i have a hat, wool top and bottom and maybe one other article of clothing in a 5L stuff sack that is my DRY AT ALL COST clothes. the eVac sea to summit bags work for me but I may switch to ziplocs. idk, im not too much of a gram weenie.

RedBeerd
01-18-2014, 16:27
the rest of my clothes which isnt much is used to fill the gaps in my pack.

Hikes in Rain
01-18-2014, 16:34
Most of my "spare" cloths fit into the middle bag of the three from Walmart. Even then, there's not much. Second pair of hiking socks, sleeping socks (the heavy grey ones with the orange strip around the top, anyone remember those?), second pair of underwear. Heavy shirt/jacket are in the trash bag at the bottom of the pack with my sleeping bag. A nice Banana Republic wind shirt that folds up in its own pocket is in the "attic" of the pack. Someone left that in the Muskrat Creek Shelter, brand new, with the tags still on it! Find!

HikerMom58
01-18-2014, 17:13
most of my "spare" cloths fit into the middle bag of the three from walmart. Even then, there's not much. Second pair of hiking socks, sleeping socks (the heavy grey ones with the orange strip around the top, anyone remember those?), second pair of underwear. Heavy shirt/jacket are in the trash bag at the bottom of the pack with my sleeping bag. A nice banana republic wind shirt that folds up in its own pocket is in the "attic" of the pack. Someone left that in the muskrat creek shelter, brand new, with the tags still on it! Find!

score!!!!!!!!!!!!! :d

saltysack
01-19-2014, 10:16
My sleep cloths etc are in compactor bag w my down bag. No need for xtra weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Odd Man Out
01-19-2014, 11:04
i have a hat, wool top and bottom and maybe one other article of clothing in a 5L stuff sack that is my DRY AT ALL COST clothes. ...

Those are my sleeping clothes so they just get packed in my sleeping bag.

Wise Old Owl
01-19-2014, 12:17
all my clothing is waterproof - no bags - no ziplocks very little spare clothing. extra socks extra underwear.

Anything without cotton generally won't hang onto water long.

One waterproof bag for the sleepbag and UQ

Andrewsobo
01-19-2014, 17:32
I only use one stuff sack, and that is for my for my food. And the only reason I carry that is to bear bag. My packing system is just stuff everything in.

squeezebox
01-19-2014, 18:48
I don't want root through and empty most of my pack to find my evening clothes, or other bits.

Andrewsobo
01-19-2014, 18:53
I don't want root through and empty most of my pack to find my evening clothes, or other bits.
To each their own. i'd rather the small inconvenience of taking a second to find my clothes (which I can do by touch due to differing textures of the materials of objects in my pack) over the more constant inconvenience of having to carry the weight of a bunch of stuff sacks. Every gram counts.

jimmyjam
01-19-2014, 19:30
I use a myog dry bag about 6in round by 12in long .

garlic08
01-19-2014, 19:31
My sleep clothes etc are in compactor bag w my down bag. No need for xtra weight.

This is what I do except I don't carry sleeping clothes. On a warm day my polypro jersey and jacket will be in the compactor bag. I don't carry enough spare clothing to make a stuff sack worthwhile. Sometimes, on a really wet day, I'll do the gallon ziplock trick mentioned above, at the top of the pack, to keep a dry layer handy for breaks.

Astro
01-19-2014, 23:36
Organize? There shouldnt be enough to worry about organization.

+1, I just put everything (not much anyway) in my ULA stuff sack and use it for my pillow.

MuddyWaters
01-19-2014, 23:40
If I expect to have unused clothing I can use for a pillow, my clothes sack is a 5 ga mesh paint strainer bag. 0.5 oz . with a #64 rubber band around the neck (0.04oz) it makes a good circular flat pillow.

If I expect to wear everything at night, no clothing sack, but bring the 1oz pillow.

In any case, clothing goes in pack liner with quilt or sleeping bag

illabelle
01-20-2014, 05:50
I carry all the food for both me and my husband (he carries tent, stove, water filter, etc). My pack has a separate lower compartment where I store my sleeping bag, pad, and a couple other small things. The food bag is heavy and bulky and takes up most of the remaining space. I have my spare clothes in a separate bag strapped onto the outside of my pack. When we stop for a break I have very easy access to my fleece or down if I need it. I probably carry more clothes than most people. I like clean underwear everyday and a fresh shirt now and then.
Would I be able to stuff my clothes into the nooks and crannies? Probably, but I like having things organized. If the weight of a stuff sack is too much, I could just stay home. Backpacking isn't about taking life easy.
Husband used to pack stuff loose in his pack. He recently bought stuff sacks so he could find things easier and faster - fewer "lost" socks.