PDA

View Full Version : Darn Tough Socks

Odd Man Out
01-18-2014, 12:20
A lot of people here (including myself) have praised Darn Tough Socks. For the first time I got to take advantage of their unconditional lifetime guarantee. A few weeks ago, my first pair (merino wool, micro crew, cushion, hikers) developed a hole in the bottom of the heel. I filled out the form from their web site, mailed them in, and got my replacement pair yesterday.
:banana
These go with my other two pairs of non-cushion socks. I figured I should have a second pair for hiking, so I bought a pair of the special ATC edition micro crew merino wool cushion socks. They are on sale at Socks Addict and I got an extra 10% off with the promotion code TP1406, plus free shipping.

Mr. Bumpy
01-18-2014, 12:37
I started wearing these socks a couple of years ago and found that I don't get blisters near as much using thinner, non-cushioned socks.

It is great to hear that they stand behind their guarantee.

Meriadoc
01-18-2014, 12:46
I really do love the Darn Tough socks. They are indeed the toughest socks I have ever had the pleasure of wearing.

But over time they will indeed wear out. Everything does.

I take pleasure supporting a company that is crafting a superior product and crafting it locally - right in Vermont. So when my Darn Tough socks wear out I will take great pleasure in sending them another $17 to $20 for a new pair knowing that I am supporting a good company.

My philosophy of clothing is to have few items but items of high quality that will last a while. And then I can afford to replace those items when they do eventually wear out. With my purchasing dollar I vote for companies that support that ideology.

ChinMusic
01-18-2014, 13:51
I am a convert to Darn Tough socks after being a solid user of Smartwool for years. I was sceptical that another brand could improve on Smartwool. Darn Toughs blow Smartwool away in the number of miles you can get out of em. Both brands of sock were kind to my feet.

Old Hiker
01-18-2014, 14:06
I thought Darn Tough would be good - HOWEVER: for some reason, I've had 3 single socks either melt in the washer or evaporate in the dryer. That's right: I now have 3 single, unmatched socks. I'll bet the warranty doesn't cover THAT !!

Seriously, I really like them. I have 3 pair put away for 2016 and I've been wearing the remaining ones for work almost every day. I have several tan and I'm ordering a couple or three more pair of dark grey or black.

They've beat my old Thorlos completely. Thorlos wore out at the heals and toes. I've yet to have a problem with the Darn Tough.

peakbagger
01-18-2014, 16:09
My brother is an electrician and on his feet all the time, he would blow through regular socks in a few weeks, he gets several months on the military grade Darn Tuffs. I have yet to wear out a pair.

Despite the presidents claim that they will even replace a sock that the dog chewed a hole in, if it fails due to my abuse, I buy a new pair, if they fail due to unreasonable wear then I might use their guarantee. Meanwhile I have enough of them in a bag from their factory sale that its going to be a few years before I even need to buy socks. The sock they make for the military have a bit higher synthetic blend and they seem to last even longer. They make a super heavy grade sock that I looks like its ECWS gear which work great for winter hiking.

I recently got rid of many of my more beat up smart wools as I don't think they will ever get used again.

RedBeerd
01-18-2014, 16:16
a year ago I went crazy and bought 4 pairs of the midweight (green ones) and 4 pairs of the heavier weight black ones. Only one pair shows any wear. But i do try to tell people that I may have spent 100 bucks on socks but they will outlast X amount of pairs of cheaper socks and definitely save me money in the long run while wearing quality socks. good stuff.

lonehiker
01-18-2014, 18:39
I've mentioned in previous posts that I get about 1,000 miles out of Darn Tough socks. They actually wear out along my Achilles tendon area on my right foot. Must be how I walk. Anyway, I would never consider returning them for the guarantee.

Colter
01-18-2014, 18:51
I am a convert to Darn Tough socks after being a solid user of Smartwool for years. I was sceptical that another brand could improve on Smartwool. Darn Toughs blow Smartwool away in the number of miles you can get out of em. Both brands of sock were kind to my feet.

What the guy with the beard said.

Jeff
01-18-2014, 19:10
It feels good supporting a "made in the USA" product.

leaftye
01-18-2014, 19:36
I've mentioned in previous posts that I get about 1,000 miles out of Darn Tough socks. They actually wear out along my Achilles tendon area on my right foot. Must be how I walk. Anyway, I would never consider returning them for the guarantee.

I wouldn't either if I got a thousand miles out of them.

Del Q
01-18-2014, 19:52
For the holidays, I bought my wife, two sons (both of which have been hiking on the AT) and myself Darn Tough At branded socks, wore them this morning doing some hills - AMAZING SOCKS, you can just feel the quality

ChinMusic
01-18-2014, 19:58
I got a thousand miles out of a pair as well on my thru this year. I still wear em.

10-K
01-18-2014, 21:15
Good socks for sure, I have several pair myself. Most any sock that costs that much is going to be good though.

I tell ya.. if there's one place I'm not going to try and go cheap by saving a few bucks it's on shoes and socks.

Astro
01-18-2014, 21:22
Good socks for sure, I have several pair myself. Most any sock that costs that much is going to be good though.

I tell ya.. if there's one place I'm not going to try and go cheap by saving a few bucks it's on shoes and socks.

Would be sort of like a race car driver going cheap on tires. :)

ChinMusic
01-18-2014, 21:34
Would be sort of like a race car driver going cheap on tires. :)

10-K is the race car. I'm more like the Jeep.

MuddyWaters
01-18-2014, 23:54
My dogs love them.:rolleyes:

xokie
01-19-2014, 00:09
I scorched a whole in the side of a Darn Tough sock drying a pair out a little too long and too close to the fire. I emailed Darn Tough, explained what had happened, and asked them for a new pair if burning was part of their life time warranty. They politely declined. Oh, well. the hole is near the top and is not much of a bother.

10-K
01-19-2014, 12:39
I scorched a whole in the side of a Darn Tough sock drying a pair out a little too long and too close to the fire. I emailed Darn Tough, explained what had happened, and asked them for a new pair if burning was part of their life time warranty. They politely declined. Oh, well. the hole is near the top and is not much of a bother.

By chance did I shuttle you to an outfitter in Johnson City? I took a hiker to Mahoney's who was trying to get a new pair of DT socks because he lit his in a fire. :)

Old Hiker
01-19-2014, 12:41
Hey, Oddman !!

Just ordered 4 pair - two to put up, two to wear. Thanks for the code - saved over $7.

4eyedbuzzard
01-19-2014, 15:39
I thought Darn Tough would be good - HOWEVER: for some reason, I've had 3 single socks either melt in the washer or evaporate in the dryer. That's right: I now have 3 single, unmatched socks. I'll bet the warranty doesn't cover THAT !!
http://www.sockloss.com/

On a serious note, if you have a top loading washer with an agitator, remove the agitator (most common eater of socks/undies); or open the top/front cover of your dryer; (google instructions for your models) and I bet you will find your sock, and maybe some other missing clothing items.

tolowo80
01-21-2014, 06:17
Just wanted to chime in on Darn Tough Socks... They are seriously legit.. I was a faithful Smart Wool sock wearer.. Ive used them for running Ultras, gym, Hiking, and Marathons since 2007, but I recently noticed that Smart Wool socks were getting thinner and not holding up. In the past I used to get 2 season out of a sock, last march I bought 2 pairs of smart wools and got 3 months out of them.. A rep at REI suggested I try Darn Tough, they are a bit snug on my big feet, but they take the abuse.. Ive done several hikes, but more so , several GORUCK challenges and a S.E.R.E challenge with them and they are like new. Im talking walking through mud, rivers, and rocks without boots/shoes on at some points.. Im sold and a faithful Darn Tough customer..

Odd Man Out
01-21-2014, 10:47
J...they are a bit snug on my big feet, but they take the abuse...

I wear a size 12 shoe and a size Large sock. They are a bit snug at first, but I think a loose sock leads to blisters so that's OK with me. I was a bit worried about the fit at first. They bunched up a bit on the top and not on the heel. But eventually, they conform to the shape of your foot and now fit like a glove (or fit like a sock?). Unlike other socks in my drawer (that don't ever get used anymore), these seem to keep their shape.

sbeatrice13
01-21-2014, 11:13
I met a former A.T. hiker and he bought a pair with a 1,000 miles to go, and he said he still wears them now, 2 years later. I need to buy a pair or two of these!

soilman
01-21-2014, 11:24
I wore smartwool phd socks on the first half of my thru. Got about 1000 miles of almost daily use out of them. I liked the way they fit. Switched to Darn Tough for the second half and still wearing them today. Got some great trail magic at Harriman SP on a 100 degree day by a fellow named Tentman who worked for Campmor. First thing he asked was what size shoe did I wear. Then he gave me a pair of Darn Tough socks. Wore them to the end of my hike.

Coffee
04-10-2014, 09:50
What weight of Darn Tough socks are most comparable to the Smartwool Phd Medium Crew socks? I like the Smart Wool socks but upon close inspection, one of my pairs is no longer fit for the trail (holes) and I'm looking to buy a replacement at REI before my hike next week. Figure that I might as well try Darn Tough given reports of very long life. The Smartwools with a hole can't have more than a couple hundred miles on them...