PDA

View Full Version : What's the strangest thing you have found on the trail?

jimmyjam
01-18-2014, 19:23
Now down in Georgia I have found a couple of full size pillows but this morning I was 2 miles into my hike north of Rockfish Gap and came across a new construction hardhat laying in the snow in the middle of the trail. I'm wondering who hikes with a hardhat? Maybe the 3 knuckleheads that were rescued from GSNP have invaded the SNP? I mean blow torch, hardhat they kind of go together. Ha Ha.

elray
01-18-2014, 19:50
This toll booth just south of Damascus. 25617

leaftye
01-18-2014, 19:57
Could the hard hat be from a trail crew?

jimmyjam
01-18-2014, 19:58
This toll booth just south of Damascus. 25617

I wonder if it takes EZPass?

HikerMom58
01-18-2014, 20:06
Now down in Georgia I have found a couple of full size pillows but this morning I was 2 miles into my hike north of Rockfish Gap and came across a new construction hardhat laying in the snow in the middle of the trail. I'm wondering who hikes with a hardhat? Maybe the 3 knuckleheads that where rescued from GSNP have invaded the SNP? I mean blow torch, hardhat they kind of go together. Ha Ha.

Whoa... that's a lot of snow! Brrr...! :)

I can't imagine finding a couple of full size pillows on the trail... lol!

johnnybgood
01-18-2014, 20:35
First off jimmyjam, I hope you had a good hike today. Great day to get out there,wished I could have tagged along with you today.
Thinking about the question of your post, I suppose the weirdest thing I've seen along the AT is the sign after Sam Moore Shelter-northbound- WARNING HIKERS of the impending dangers of the infamous Rollercoaster . :rolleyes:
Guess it's meant to be a farce, not to be taken too seriously .

Son Driven
01-18-2014, 21:09
Abandoned sleeping bag, lying in the snow.

Second Hand
01-18-2014, 21:45
I didn't actually find this so I may be disqualified, but I was hiking on Friday the 13th and shared a shelter w/ a guy who found a Machete.

With all the trail crews and trail runners finding machete is not all that surprising. It was just ironic that my buddy and I spent the entire day talking about the Friday the 13th movies, on Friday the 13th, and the 1st thing a complete stranger tells us is, he found a machete w/ a "bone cutting" blade on the back.

Not Sunshine
01-18-2014, 23:44
I didn't actually find this so I may be disqualified, but I was hiking on Friday the 13th and shared a shelter w/ a guy who found a Machete.

With all the trail crews and trail runners finding machete is not all that surprising. It was just ironic that my buddy and I spent the entire day talking about the Friday the 13th movies, on Friday the 13th, and the 1st thing a complete stranger tells us is, he found a machete w/ a "bone cutting" blade on the back.

I'm would have high tailed my squirrely ass out of that shelter p.r.o.n.t.o. if not sooner. i was going to contribute on another post questioning how to attract sketchy women: carry a 9" or larger knife on your hip in plain view. Whoever needs a knife that large had better also be carrying a cast iron skillet and toaster oven, too. one does not need such weapons to walk in the woods. whenever i see such things, my warning radar starts completely wiggin' out.

HooKooDooKu
01-19-2014, 00:12
Hiking in the Sipsey Wilderness, about 2 miles from the trail head (a trail head that was about 5 miles down forestry roads), I found a 10' to 20' section of aluminum gutter (i.e. the stuff you nail to the eaves of your house). Because it was all twisted up, we assumed it literally blew in from a tornado.

daddytwosticks
01-19-2014, 08:32
Found a mylar birthday balloon partially deflated hung-up in a laurel bush once while hiking around the Standing Indian Loop. I always wondered how far that sucker drifted before coming to rest at that spot on the trail. :)

Drybones
01-19-2014, 10:32
Large cast iron skillet left on a stump....guess the guy decided to go multralight. Also came upon a good tent that was set up and abondoned in the trail, had only a sleeping pad inside, guess the hiker decided to go home, was somewhat worried about the owner but didn't know what I could do.

peakbagger
01-19-2014, 11:03
Dave Field, the long time maintainer of a shelter in Maine found a piece from cruise missile on his section. This was early on when they were first testing the missiles and launching them from the ocean towards the Navy base in Reddington Maine

Furlough
01-19-2014, 11:19
Saw this on my hike between front royal and harpers ferry. Photo may not be clear, it is trail side dream catcher, it shows up better in the Whiteblaze photo gallery.

gumball
01-19-2014, 19:22
Wet jeans on a sunny day...we left them be.

Ummm, sorry, no photo.

leaftye
01-19-2014, 20:34
In SoCal I find lots of packs, clothes and extreme soda cans. The first two are most likely from migrants.

My most surprising find was a couple packs of tuna laying on the edge of the trail. Later that day I found one of those extra large isobutane canister, completely full.

I sort of found an old marijuana grow op. Sort of because I hiked out there with someone that had been there previously. Law enforcement had already carried off the marijuana with a helicopter, but the irrigation system and sleeping gear was still still there.

Found a mylar birthday balloon partially deflated hung-up in a laurel bush once while hiking around the Standing Indian Loop. I always wondered how far that sucker drifted before coming to rest at that spot on the trail. :)

That's supposed to be pretty common out in Anza Borrego, enough so that some folks make a sport out of finding them. A couple folks have found weather balloon sensor packages (radiosonde). I'll be keeping an eye out for those on my next trip there.

dink
01-19-2014, 20:48
a plastic shopping bag, hanging on a tree limb next to the trail about 6 feet high, with a single unopened can of white corn...this was 4th of July weekend on the AT where it passes through Caledonia State Park in PA.

Dogwood
01-19-2014, 21:14
Several skinned hogs hanging in trees. Remember that scene in Predator when they find all the hidden skinned soldiers hanging in the trees and the birds all fly up. Like that.

Human remains. Prolly washed up from a grave due to recent heavy rains.

Weed patches.

Crashed planes.

Boats. Some in very unexpected places in remote desert environments.

Old mining sites. Dangerous places along with stumbling onto someone's active weed patch! Some of the very large big heavy iron, wood, cables, turbines, steam engines, hydrolic pumps, steel railroad rails, pumps, hoses, cogs, etc left behind amaze me in how they got this stuff into some rather remote hard to access locations.

Meth labs in old mobile homes. The obvious used equipment and canisters heaped up around the site.

Abandoned campsites. Abandoned high end backpacks with high end gear looking like someone just left it all there in a hurry.

Old moonshining stills.

A startled snoozing mountain lion. A startled black bear. A startled Whitetail Buck near a road that tried to get up and run away despite having had it's two rear legs hanging by skin only below the knee(Prolly hit by a car when attempting to cross the highway).

Fish swimming crawling on the ground in heavy rains right in the middle of the trail. That's happened more than once. One time it scared me as the fish bumped up against my feet after not having seen it.

Folks screwing.

Lava tubes. Caves. Flowing lava.

Baltimore Jack.

sarge95
01-19-2014, 21:42
a crashed plane beside the trail in the smokey mtns and a hay baler by the trail in new england far out in the woods.

Capt Nat
01-19-2014, 22:33
I was going to get water from a little pool and saw myself!

cliffdiver
01-19-2014, 23:23
Large cast iron skillet left on a stump....guess the guy decided to go multralight. Also came upon a good tent that was set up and abondoned in the trail, had only a sleeping pad inside, guess the hiker decided to go home, was somewhat worried about the owner but didn't know what I could do.

I encountered multiple abandoned tents on my attempt last year. I had no idea on the protocol for this, but I usually called out to see if anyone was still in the area. It probably bothered me more than it should have.

MuddyWaters
01-19-2014, 23:28
The strangest thing is people that really dont belong there. Dont have the right gear, dont know where they are going, dont have a plan.

Met a woman in Stover Creek shelter, all her stuff was wet from the day/night before when it rained. All cotton. Sleeping bag, clothes, etc. Walmart backpack. She had spent the night there alone. So all her stuff was hangin and dryin all the next day. She slept on the shelter floor without a sleeping pad of any kind under her. She had hiked in a full 2.8 miles from the Springer FS42 parking lot (leisurely downhill) , and wanted to know how far it was to Springer. When I told her 3.8 miles behind her, she wanted to know how far it was to NC, and if the trail got any harder? Said she was out there because...she didnt have anywhere else to be. Some people make you wonder why, what are they planning, did they come out there to commit suicide or something?

Teacher & Snacktime
01-20-2014, 00:24
If anyone finds my silver bubble-wrap cozy between Elk Pen and Fingerboard Shelter (NY), hand made for me by Another Kevin, please let me know. It fell off my pack one dark, cold night....

Biner
01-20-2014, 02:50
Met a guy from Europe carrying an very old looking fancy teapot he found on the trail in TN/NC. Looked a little bit like the talking one from Beauty and the Beast. :) So technically I didn't find it, but it was very interesting.

Blue Mountain Edward
01-20-2014, 13:56
A curling iron.

wcgornto
01-20-2014, 14:04
In 2009, I saw Minnesota Smith at a road crossing in Vermont.

aficion
01-20-2014, 14:43
A very small, maybe 8x8, one room geodesic dome, about 80 yards off the trail in Va. It was unlocked with a sign on the door saying make yourself at home...please leave the place as you found it. I did and I did. Poured rain for two days straight....talk about trail magic.

max patch
01-20-2014, 14:48
In 2009, I saw Minnesota Smith at a road crossing in Vermont.

we have a winner. :)

Drybones
01-20-2014, 18:30
A curling iron.

It totally ruined my hike when I lost that curling iron.

Chantilly Lace
01-20-2014, 19:29
While doing trail maintenance on Glastenbury Mountain I once found a sword in Goddard Shelter. The hilt was quite intricate and I wanted so much to take it home for my son. But as I was carrying gear and tools I just couldn't take it with me and work at the same time. I still regret not making more an effort to take it.

Malto
01-20-2014, 19:49

I saw dozens of these balloons in the PCT. they should be outlawed

jimmyjam
01-20-2014, 19:51
It totally ruined my hike when I lost that curling iron.
Right next to my hair dryer. HaHa

Sarcasm the elf
01-20-2014, 20:10

I completely agree, when Mylar balloons land up in the ocean sea turtles mistake them for jellyfish and eat them. Usually this kills them.

I'm curious to know how many times you have run into the remains of Chinese sky lanterns while hiking. I can't believe that those little flying firebombs are still legal.

Sarcasm the elf
01-20-2014, 20:12
Now down in Georgia I have found a couple of full size pillows but this morning I was 2 miles into my hike north of Rockfish Gap and came across a new construction hardhat laying in the snow in the middle of the trail. I'm wondering who hikes with a hardhat? Maybe the 3 knuckleheads that were rescued from GSNP have invaded the SNP? I mean blow torch, hardhat they kind of go together. Ha Ha.

If there are any caves in the area, it is possible that a spelunker was using it as a caving helmet. Other than that I'm at a loss.

Another Kevin
01-20-2014, 20:41
Teacher, I have your cozy. I unpacked and found two. I must have picked yours up by mistake at Fingerboard.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Wise Old Owl
01-20-2014, 20:52
a crashed plane beside the trail in the smokey mtns and a hay baler by the trail in new england far out in the woods.

There are plane parts in New England woods - pre dating Lindburg -known to some 100 year old locals today there in the woods is just the engine. It has been stumbled on once before - but the person could not retrace his steps. Hope you have a good GPS.

Disappearance of L'Oiseau Blanc (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Bird)On 8–9 May 1927, Charles Nungesser (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Nungesser) and François Coli (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_Coli) attempted to cross the Atlantic from Paris to the USA in a Levasseur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Levasseur_%28aircraft_builder%29) PL-8 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levasseur_PL.8) biplane L'Oiseau Blanc ("The White Bird"), but were lost.

Wise Old Owl
01-20-2014, 20:54
If there are any caves in the area, it is possible that a spelunker was using it as a caving helmet. Other than that I'm at a loss.

Uh no light?

Wise Old Owl
01-20-2014, 20:57
In 2009, I saw Minnesota Smith at a road crossing in Vermont. Too Funny...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/98f951790ad2fb17e96879d532abe3ae/tumblr_myhuqlH4we1riyleko1_400.gif

HikerMom58
01-20-2014, 21:00
The strangest thing is people that really dont belong there. Dont have the right gear, dont know where they are going, dont have a plan.

Met a woman in Stover Creek shelter, all her stuff was wet from the day/night before when it rained. All cotton. Sleeping bag, clothes, etc. Walmart backpack. She had spent the night there alone. So all her stuff was hangin and dryin all the next day. She slept on the shelter floor without a sleeping pad of any kind under her. She had hiked in a full 2.8 miles from the Springer FS42 parking lot (leisurely downhill) , and wanted to know how far it was to Springer. When I told her 3.8 miles behind her, she wanted to know how far it was to NC, and if the trail got any harder? Said she was out there because...she didnt have anywhere else to be. Some people make you wonder why, what are they planning, did they come out there to commit suicide or something?

Yup, We met a lady at No Businnes Knob Shelter.. sounds like the same person. She talked the same way & asked similar questions. She just came right out and said she wanted to die out on the trail. She had the strangest gear, food & all. Meeting people like that is tough.. really tough. :(

Teacher, I have your cozy. I unpacked and found two. I must have picked yours up by mistake at Fingerboard.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Oh Yay... mystery solved! :>)

Siarl
01-21-2014, 02:59
I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains. After graduating I lived in northern CA for about twenty years. Mendocino county to be exact and my job was on the coast at least once a week. I worked for the DA's office as a Victim Witness Advocate. I had to drive on Hwy 20 from Willits to Fort Bragg on the coast. I loved hiking but all the people I talked to when I first arrived warned me to refrain from hiking in the mountains and if on a trail don't veer off the trail for any reason. On my drive on Hwy 20 I would spot quite a few cars parked on the side of the road. Mind you, there was no one in sight in either direction and the only way for anyone to walk anywhere else but the road was straight up or straight down in heavily wooded areas. My first thought was to stop and see if anyone was in trouble. I'm glad I didn't. Alot of people disappear every year because they wander into marijuana grows in the middle of the National Forest. Same thing goes for the Appalachian Trail, George Washington National Forest etc. Now, data shows that the Emerald Triangle in northern CA is no longer the largest producer of marijuana. It's the big four states in the Appalachians. Tennessee, VA, NC, and Kentucky. If you see something suspicious or marijuana plants, don't be stupid or greedy. Walk away from there fast and report it as soon as you see law enforcement. Growers are now cartel employees for the most part and they mean business. The grows are commonly booby trapped to maim or kill and they commonly have a guard and/or caretaker. Just useful information.

leaftye
01-21-2014, 07:13

They sort of have been outlawed, or rather, helium won't be sold dirt cheap starting this fall.

bfayer
01-21-2014, 07:35
.. Alot of people disappear every year because they wander into marijuana grows in the middle of the National Forest. Same thing goes for the Appalachian Trail, George Washington National Forest etc...

You may not have intended to, but you made it sound like people are disappearing in GWNF and along the AT.

This is just not happening. I have been hiking for years in GWNF and the AT in VA an MD, and I can tell you its much safer hiking than it is driving to the trail head.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

lemon b
01-21-2014, 08:57
A cocked and locked SA 1911 .45. Luckly, the owner was a few miles down the trail doubling back obviously looking for something and I was able to hand it back off.
Cat was truly embarrassed. All I said was better figure out a safer way to carry my friend.

Siarl
01-21-2014, 10:05
You may not have intended to, but you made it sound like people are disappearing in GWNF and along the AT.

This is just not happening. I have been hiking for years in GWNF and the AT in VA an MD, and I can tell you its much safer hiking than it is driving to the trail head.

And you are correct. I apologize for the misunderstanding. In the Mendocino National Forest and what is considered, The Emerald Triangle, people do disappear or run into trouble walking into a grow. Most of the time it's off the trail or from people just hiking in the wilderness area off trail. Not every minute of every day nor even once a week. But it happens enough to warrant advisement. The cartels have moved their operations into National Forests and remote locations within the Appalachians. The Forest Service are having a tough time because they devote alot of their budget to combating remote grows within the National Forest system. Trash, irrigation setup using PVC pipes, etc. It takes a lot of time and effort that could be devoted to other more important issues. I'm just highlighting why it's important to keep an eye out and not be over curious if one does come across a grow since it is more prevalent now than in years past.

Rain Man
01-21-2014, 10:57
... came across a new construction hardhat laying in the snow in the middle of the trail. I'm wondering who hikes with a hardhat?

Of course I've seen trail crews with hard hats, but interestingly last October was hiking in New Jersey and along comes a guy with a hard hat on. I asked him about it and he said he was on assignment to do a count of the birds of prey that soar along one of the overlooks, and the hard hat was part of the official work uniform. Mystery solved for that day. I assume he was with the Department of Natural Resources or NJ's equivalent.

Rain:sunMan

MDSection12
01-21-2014, 11:09
A cocked and locked SA 1911 .45. Luckly, the owner was a few miles down the trail doubling back obviously looking for something and I was able to hand it back off.
Cat was truly embarrassed. All I said was better figure out a safer way to carry my friend.
Wow! :eek:

Clearly the guy was not a ULer. ;)

leaftye
01-21-2014, 19:34

Like toiletries, it gets lighter the more you use it.

bfayer
01-21-2014, 19:46

Really, who carries a steel frame pistol on the trail these days. Jeez :eek:

Hoop
01-21-2014, 21:53
A ukelele at an abandoned campsite.

aficion
01-21-2014, 21:54
Really, who carries a steel frame pistol on the trail these days. Jeez :eek:

Bet he wore boots.

squeezebox
01-22-2014, 00:40
Kinda related !
I had the weird idea of bringing a blow up porn doll. The rule would be you could carry her only 1 day at time, and fix any leaks.
I wonder if she would make it to Katadin.

bfayer
01-22-2014, 22:35
Kinda related !
I had the weird idea of bringing a blow up porn doll. The rule would be you could carry her only 1 day at time, and fix any leaks.
I wonder if she would make it to Katadin.

Have you read the creepy guy thread? You might want to :)

jimmyjam
01-22-2014, 22:46
I was thinking the same thing-about the creepy thread.

Attila
01-22-2014, 22:52
You would think hikers don't leave hiking boots on the middle of the trail:
However, style may not give you comfort:
I passed this keepsake urn just North of Clingmans Dome in the Smokies. I said my prayer...RIP my friend and kept going wondering if He or She wanted to go North, South or just stay there???

Slo-go'en
01-22-2014, 23:07
I once saw a young woman dragging a wheeled suitcase down the trail on a Sunday morning. Seems there was a big campsite just off the road there and quite the party the night before, and dang, I missed it :(

The flock of Pink Flamingos along the trail in New York was pretty strange. First there was one, then another and then a whole flock up on a small hill.

Also in NY, I ran across two stone pillers with a cast iron arch between them with the words "Gateway to Heaven". So, if your looking to go to heaven, the way to get there is through that arch somewhere in the woods of eastern NY.

bfayer
01-23-2014, 08:00
You would think hikers don't leave hiking boots on the middle of the trail:

My son and I were hiking the roller coaster last winter and stopped at Rod Hollow shelter for a break. Sitting on the platform were a brand new pair of boots. No one was around, there was no other gear, just the boots.

Although not the strangest thing to see, it does make you want to know the rest of the story.

pipsissewa
01-23-2014, 09:25
...Also in NY, I ran across two stone pillers with a cast iron arch between them with the words "Gateway to Heaven". So, if your looking to go to heaven, the way to get there is through that arch somewhere in the woods of eastern NY.

Near Dover, NY?

Siarl
01-23-2014, 16:33
Near Dover, NY?

Wow. That's kind of creepy. It reminds me of the cult, Heaven's Gate, that committed suicide en masse in order to make it to the comet passing overhead in CA. Could that be an abandoned attempt for a community cemetery?

RedBeerd
01-23-2014, 16:44
a tire. this was 10 miles into the backcountry over a big pass.

maguyver
01-23-2014, 16:49
During the hike up Thunderhead mountain, dealing with the wrath of hurricane Camile, we came across two very wet sleeping bags. They were just off the edge of the trail, looked recently slepted in. Looked like the previous owners just left them there in a hurry. Being young and dumb at the time we considered hauling them home. We hadn't made it to the top yet so that idea didn't last long.

steve0423
01-23-2014, 16:55
A pillow case full of almost cold beer in the middle of nowhere at the end of a hot day. Checked around for a bit, sat down and gave’er hell for fifteen minutes then moved on with a little extra pep in my step

Slo-go'en
01-23-2014, 17:03
Near Dover, NY?

Yep, that's it, "gate of heaven"

TaDa
01-23-2014, 17:13
In 1986 I was hiking over Hump mountain in Tenn. on the north side of the mountain as I reentered the woods I recall seeing a moonshine still in the woods a few feet off the trail. I did not stop to take pictures.

Bearleg
01-29-2014, 13:49
I wonder if it takes EZPass?

I would have guessed this was found in New Jersey.

Drybones
01-29-2014, 15:57
In 1986 I was hiking over Hump mountain in Tenn. on the north side of the mountain as I reentered the woods I recall seeing a moonshine still in the woods a few feet off the trail. I did not stop to take pictures.

I would have ashed if they give tasting tours.

Conure
01-29-2014, 17:45
Once while hiking in the Ocala National Forest (Northern Florida), I came upon one of those black, plastic ash trays, like the one's from the 70's, lying off to the side of the trail--not anywhere near a campsite or anything, just to the side of the trail--filled with cigarette butts, literally filled. It upset me that I had to carry those damn cigarette butts for the rest of my hike, overnight, and back out again to the trash. Yeah, its always a good feeling to clean up the woods--I'm sure mother nature appreciates it--but really people, take care of your own trash...please.

Undershaft
01-31-2014, 07:57
There are plane parts in New England woods - pre dating Lindburg -known to some 100 year old locals today there in the woods is just the engine. It has been stumbled on once before - but the person could not retrace his steps. Hope you have a good GPS.

Disappearance of L'Oiseau Blanc (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Bird)On 8–9 May 1927, Charles Nungesser (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Nungesser) and François Coli (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_Coli) attempted to cross the Atlantic from Paris to the USA in a Levasseur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Levasseur_%28aircraft_builder%29) PL-8 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levasseur_PL.8) biplane L'Oiseau Blanc ("The White Bird"), but were lost.

It's a shame that it can't be located again. The story of The White Bird is an interesting piece of aviation history. I first heard the story on an episode of Unsolved Mysteries. A lot of people have searched for it over the years. I recall reading about one search for it in a non-fiction book by Clive Cussler, either The Sea Hunters or The Sea Hunters II. I think he concluded the wreck was probably at the bottom of a lake or bog. I would love to see it found. They may not have landed safely, but they made it across the Atlantic. At least that's what I believe. There were numerous contemporary sightings of the plane over Maine and if the remains of The White Bird could be found it would lay another aviation mystery to rest.

25763 I found this right next to the trail just north of Woody Gap. I think its an old scale. What it was doing in the woods, who knows? I've also found old farm equipment near the trail in New England, just left in place when the farm was sold or abandoned and the woods grew up around it. Old cars from the 1950s and 60s too.

Siarl
02-02-2014, 14:05
25763 I found this right next to the trail just north of Woody Gap. I think its an old scale. What it was doing in the woods, who knows? I've also found old farm equipment near the trail in New England, just left in place when the farm was sold or abandoned and the woods grew up around it. Old cars from the 1950s and 60s too.

Bless their hearts. It's the remains of the gear of a ULer concerned with their grams.

bamboo bob
02-02-2014, 14:24

I have found these awful balloons all over the US. PCT, CDT, AT, FT, LT literally everywhere. I've bushwacked off trail to retrieve them. They need to be be banned. They end up in the ocean and foul rivers too. I hate them.

WILLIAM HAYES
02-03-2014, 20:19
a case of beer about a mile NOBO right before Uncle Johnny's