PDA

View Full Version : Buying lots of basics:

uncletafka
01-19-2014, 11:31
Trying to get the basics for camping and hiking and I'm looking to spend as little money as possible until I put some hours in and make sure that I like camping now as much as I did when I was a kid.

Hoping to find a:

used 2p tent and footprint that is a manageable weight for backpacking and throwing in the bike panniers
25^ sleeping bag good for a 6' man and compression sack
sleeping pad
~60L pack good for trips of 3-7 days

Ideally I'd like to buy multiple items at once. I've been checking out craigslist, but there's not much in my local area and when something is decent it gets swept up.

So post a reply and a picture or two and hopefully I'll be on the trail by mid-February.

Second Hand
01-19-2014, 12:11
If you live near an REI you should become a member and check out there garage sales. I'm not sure when the next one is, but can find some amazing deals if your willing to battle the crowds

Bronk
01-19-2014, 13:14
I like to watch the Bargain Cave on the Cabela's website...I've picked up some deals there...a few things that were about half off. You can get a tent at Walmart for 29.99 that will last for a summer or so before it starts to leak. You could probably buy most of what you need at Walmart if you are going on the theory of buying cheap stuff to see if you like camping and then upgrade as the junk starts to fall apart. I hiked 850 miles with a $10 Walmart sleeping bag.

MuddyWaters
01-19-2014, 17:04
Trying to get the basics for camping and hiking and I'm looking to spend as little money as possible until I put some hours in and make sure that I like camping now as much as I did when I was a kid.

Camping and hiking are two totally different things, with different gear needs. Camping, is about spending time in one spot, to do leisure activities. Hiking, is the activity, and necessitates lighter less luxurious gear to be comfortable while doing it.

There is of course a continuous spectrum in between. Where you fall , depends on how much of each you intend to do.

Duramax22
01-19-2014, 19:45
I have some stuff i am parting with you may be interested in
Marmot Sawtooth 15 down sleeping bag $120.00
Marmot always summer 45 long down sleeping bag $125.00
Marmot Limelight 3p tent $150.00
Eureka 2p tent, not sure of the model $110.00

skell23
01-19-2014, 20:17
Keep an eye on Amazon and don't under estimate wal mart. They have a really nice down sleeping bag for under $90.00. Dicks Sporting Good's carries a nice Marmot 2P tent that is right around 5lbs. I researched tents for a while and you are not going to find a decent tent in that price range. I am just getting started and do section hikes so I am willing to sacrifice a pound or two for the price of that tent.

Chicken Feathers
01-23-2014, 21:09
uncletafka I have several item you might be interested in the are posted in selling used gear on page 2 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?34864-uncletafka)