PDA

View Full Version : Delorme InReach SE Battery Life

Coffee
01-19-2014, 12:32
I am seriously considering a purchase of the Delorme InReach SE (http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/). I am looking for a two-way communication device that does not require pairing with a smart phone (since I do not own one). I used a Spot 3 last year and found it acceptable but I did not like the fact that I had to wait a considerable period of time to ensure that OK messages were delivered and had no confirmation of delivery. My hope for the InReach is that I can get confirmation more quickly and also receive messages in cases of emergency.

Other than the steep cost of the device and the service plan, one factor is really bothering me and preventing me from making the purchase at the moment. The issue is that the InReach uses an internal battery and must be recharged. I find this to be a real limitation on a device intended for use in the wilderness where replaceable batteries seem preferable.

I'm looking for feedback from anyone who owns this device in terms of battery life I can expect. I do not care about constant tracking and would intend to leave the device off except when sending/receiving messages which I would do maybe twice per day. With this limited usage pattern, could I expect a couple of weeks of battery life?

pyro_
02-27-2014, 16:32
When i used mine last summer i had no problems getting 7 days of use without a re-charge on it. That was with it being on about 8 hours a day and sending position updates every two hours plus one facebook update a day

10-K
02-27-2014, 17:08
You can sorta-kinda get an OK confirmation from a SPOT by including your text or email address as one to receive an OK message. If you get a copy then it's likely the person you really meant to get it did too.

Coffee
02-27-2014, 17:17
You can sorta-kinda get an OK confirmation from a SPOT by including your text or email address as one to receive an OK message. If you get a copy then it's likely the person you really meant to get it did too.
That's true but I don't have a smart phone and probably would be out of range many times even if I did. I'm still trying to weigh the pros and cons of spot vs inreach but I have a while to decide.

Sparrow2013
02-27-2014, 20:14
FYI the Inreach SE is great. Had same concerns and checked with their tech staff before purchase to understand capacity of the battery so I could better choose size of battery backup for gear. Inreach SE has 2000 mAh similar to my RAZR. 10000mAh Anker 3 is plenty. Hard to beat for $40 on amazon.

slbirdnerd
02-27-2014, 20:23
I haven't used my new InReach much yet, but with my limited experience I can't imagine it won't last you a couple weeks if you are only turning it on a couple times a day. I can tell you, you can't hit send and turn it off immediately, but I think it had a 'sending' icon so you can at least know if it is doing something or not. I have a Newtrent iTorch charger I plan to carry on longer trips that will charge the InReach and my camera. I got the InReach so I could have more options with sending plus some GPS/mapping capability. My family likes that they can follow my track, receive and send me messages, and on the website there is even a "locate now" feature they can use to see where you are in real time if your unit is turned on. I am looking forward to getting it out on a long enough trip to really stretch it's legs!

CoffeeBager
02-27-2014, 20:38
There's a review in TrailGroove that discusses battery life toward the end of the article: http://www.trailgroove.com/issue10.html?autoflip=49
Overall, the author seemed impressed with the battery.

Coffee
02-27-2014, 20:56
There's a review in TrailGroove that discusses battery life toward the end of the article: http://www.trailgroove.com/issue10.html?autoflip=49
Overall, the author seemed impressed with the battery.
Thanks for the link. Based on my usage pattern, it seems like I could expect several weeks on a single charge so that's one concern that is basically a non issue.

wpicotte
03-06-2014, 15:35
I'm also considering this device. A Spot would work for me some of the time, but reviews (and their website) state that it doesn't perform well beneath a forest canopy (I live in the PNW) and the satellite system it uses isn't as reliable as those used by the InReach or competing ACR devices. I travel to remote Canada with decent regularity, in addition to trips in the lower 48. With my core purpose being emergency communication, and check-ins secondarily, I don't think I can trust the Spot.

Good to hear about the reliable battery life. Thanks for that link to that review.

What I really want is a device that combines the functionality of the InReach with that of a true GPS device -- maps, route saving, elevation profile, etc etc. That would be sweet.

pyro_
03-06-2014, 15:58
We'll you could use a smartphone with the inreach. If you link via Bluetooth the smartphone will pick up the GPS data from the inreach and use that without having to use it's own