PDA

View Full Version : Topo Maps

Sparrow2013
01-19-2014, 16:27
What's the best source for good topo maps (paper vs. download) for various state sections of the trail? USGS? ATC? Other? I recognize these are not a necessity with but more of luxury for one who enjoyed shooting bearings rather than rely on GPS. Understanding that this would only really apply at certain overlooks or above the tree line.

GoodGerman
01-19-2014, 17:03
You might want to check out the maps postholer.com offers (link (http://postholer.com/mapbooks/index.php?trail_id=3)).

They have maps for southern, central and northern states of the trail. Each book is ~7 oz, divided into 23 sections.
That's a lot of weight for maps. But I like to work on my navigation skills on a well blazed and pretty forgiving trail :)

squeezebox
01-19-2014, 18:59
What about the maps from ATC ? They look very detailed, and they are water proof.

Wise Old Owl
01-19-2014, 19:11
I have two GPS and still love the ATC maps.

gpburdelljr
01-19-2014, 19:54
It's not really practical for hiking, but I have a $10 app on my ipad called Topo Maps. You can download any USGS 1:24000 topo in the US. I download the ones I want using wifi at home. If you have a GPS chip in your ipad it will locate you on the map and orient the map correctly (wifi only ipad models don't have GPS chips). Another neat feature you can turn on is shading of topography you can't see from your location.

Blissful
01-19-2014, 21:46
I still like old fashioned maps and save my phone for when I really need it out there.

postholer.com
01-19-2014, 21:51
What's the best source for good topo maps (paper vs. download) for various state sections of the trail? USGS? ATC? Other? I recognize these are not a necessity with but more of luxury....

Thanks to GoodGerman for pointing out the Postholer maps! These maps are uniform in style, text, colors and the landcover represents the actual types of vegetaion. You can read all the details here (http://postholer.com/mapbooks/index.php?trail_id=3).

What these maps also have is very detailed elevation profiles, as well as distances to many popular resupply locations within 90 miles of map center. The 3 volume set is about $90 for the whole trail. There is nothing else like them, period.

The ATC map bundle is a whopping $235, very aged, without uniformity or elevation profiles. But only you can decide what meets your requirements. Have fun out there!

http://postholer.com/mapbooks/images/preview/3/18.png

LAF
01-20-2014, 09:04
are the postholer maps "waterproof"? and I realize they come in sets, but can they be broken down into smaller sets easily once received, like the looseleaf version of AWOL's guide? ok, anal weight question here, what does each set weigh? I like the detail and the cost :) and I like to carry maps and a compass no matter where I go, they're fun.

nu2hike
01-20-2014, 12:28
I have these maps for the southern sections! I don't think they're waterproof,but I keep them in a ziplock and have never had a problem!
They come in a book format and I just cut out the maps I will need for the section I'm hiking!

10-K
01-20-2014, 13:24
Most of the topo maps I've purchased from the USGS were made 50+ years ago. There have been significant reroutes in that time in many sections.

I prefer to buy them directly from USGS and waterproof them myself.

jimmyjam
01-20-2014, 13:47
I have heard of people using Thompson waterseal to wp their maps. I have taken river bottom maps to a architectural copy place and had them lamenated .

postholer.com
01-20-2014, 17:24
are the postholer maps "waterproof"? and I realize they come in sets, but can they be broken down into smaller sets easily once received, like the looseleaf version of AWOL's guide? ok, anal weight question here, what does each set weigh? I like the detail and the cost :) and I like to carry maps and a compass no matter where I go, they're fun.

Each book weighs about 7oz. They are not loose leaf. I *totally* understand the need to carry only what you need. :) Waterproof paper for a complete map set of the AT would ensure that no one can afford them.

You can do as Nu2hike suggests, carry only the pages you need and ziplock them!

-postholer

LAF
01-20-2014, 17:41
ok, you sold me, I'm gonna get the southern section and see how they compare to the maps of the Whites I've got. If they're as good as they look on the website, I'll go back for me - I like maps :) and they are certainly a lot more affordable than the ATC's. And if I've now read the website correctly, you do give a portion of the proceeds back to the AT so works for me. And yes, I then also saw they weigh ~7 oz; I'll just include them in the couple mail drops I'm planning on. Thank you.

4eyedbuzzard
01-20-2014, 19:24
I always like the National Geographic Trails Illustrated maps http://www.natgeomaps.com/trailsillustrated (if they are available for the area) for section hiking as they show loads of side trails and other info to plan loops and such. I've used their maps of the Whites and Shennies and there is nothing that compares to the detail they offer. Downside is that they aren't cheap at $12 each and they are heavy at 3 oz, but they are waterproof and tear resistant.

Alleghanian Orogeny
01-21-2014, 07:32
My topo map resources are, in order of closing in on detail, DeLorme's Atlas/Gazetteer state by state map books, Nat Geo Trails Illustrated folding, waterproof maps, and AT-specific "strip maps" with elevation profiles. The DeLorme's are of course for at home or in-vehicle general planning use, while the latter two go afield with me. The TI series offers continuous, overlapping coverage of the AT from Springer to the northern end of Shenandoah NP. Yes, at $12/pop their plenty spendy, but I find the scale (generally 1:65,000 or so--it varies a bit by sheet) to be accomodating to close-in positioning and navigating, and the topographic contour interval provides plenty of detail for the same purposes. It's very nice to see the level of detail of distant features laid out before you in map form, whether continuously from early November through April when the leaves are down, or from view points at other points of the year. At this point, I'd favor the Postholer product for detailed close-in daily use. I give not a rip for what the TIs or the Postholers weigh. I personally consider topo map coverage to be as essential as water and food.

AO

peakbagger
01-22-2014, 07:46
It was stated previously but worth restating USGS maps can be 20 to 30 years out of date and may not reflect the current location of the AT. They also may show old shelters that don't exist and skip new ones. I have 7.5 minutes maps for most of maine and its a lot of maps as the trail alignment tends to run across the corners of a lot of many maps. Most of not all of the AT maps are based on USGS top data with new info placed on top.

What may be worth buying for the long views are some USGS 100,000 maps. Three or four cover the state of Maine and will cover quite a bit of the viewshed. The AT is shown and they have contours lines.