PDA

View Full Version : Mail Supplies?

rodwha
01-19-2014, 21:22
SWMBO and I have talked about the possibility of a 30 day trail hike, likely along the AT, especially if we move to VA soon, which looks likely.

On another forum it was suggested that it's much better to just purchase supplies instead of picking up mailed supplies. I didn't follow the thought as it seems much easier to spend 5 minutes to pick up a package vs 45-60 mins in a store. And you know what you are getting instead of hoping they have what you'd like. SWMBO has a few food allergies and also boycotts several companies.

If you sent a little too much you could always pick up something, and if you sent too much you could either eat it while you were in town.

Why would anyone prefer to shop?

Also what would be a typical volume of food stuff (not water) would 6-7 days afield command?

rodwha
01-19-2014, 21:26
I forgot to mention that the majority of our food is dehydrated, though we also do some granola bars and such.

hikerboy57
01-19-2014, 21:33
i prefer to shop,rather than do drops, because im impulsive, and dont want to plan my meals 3 weeks or 3 months in advance.i dont have any special dietary needs except an adequate supply of bacon.

moldy
01-19-2014, 21:46
If I were to do a 30 day trip in Virginia, I would use some mail drops perhaps 3 or 4. I mail myself mountain house meals that I get on sale at wal-mart plus a few other items to fill out the box. I do this because your standard trail town grocery does not sell those mountain house type meals. Outfitters and some wal-marts may have them, but they can't be counted on. I don't actually cook. I make hot water. My trail diet is, instant oatmeal, coffee, snickers bars, gorp, dehydrated meals and that's it. 3 or 4 boxes are easy to deal with on a month long trip that I mail out myself. For a thru-hike, that's too much, I would change my diet and cook rice and pasta sides like most others. In Virginia you will run into towns, gas stations etc every 3 or 4 days so you can scrounge up something else to eat.

rodwha
01-19-2014, 22:36
There is "bacon jerky" that we just tried with ranch style beans and some sort of cheese that didn't need to be refrigerated inside of tortillas. Not quite like bacon but fairly good considering.

Picking up supplies just seems to make sense to me, especially since I don't like shopping except for the craft beer. meats, and cereal, unless I'm in an outdoors store. But the time savings alone gives more time to shower, eat good food, and rest.

rodwha
01-19-2014, 22:42
The one answer I did get elsewhere, which I was unaware of, was how some small town PO's close for the weekends. But I also wasn't aware that stuff could be sent to places of business, places that are often open 7 days...

HikerMom58
01-19-2014, 22:59
The one answer I did get elsewhere, which I was unaware of, was how some small town PO's close for the weekends. But I also wasn't aware that stuff could be sent to places of business, places that are often open 7 days...

I agree with you rodwha. I live in Central VA... I just tellin ya...resupply is tough in this part of VA. I've had to help out section hikers with hiding food stashes in the woods more than once. I'm serious.

I'm not saying that moldy's comment isn't true at all, but man, it's not easy in some sections. I think a lot of hikers try to slack pack thru here b/c of the lack of good resupply options.

Mail drops aren't that much better/easier.

If it were me, I would bite the bullet & plan on carrying a lot of food.
Since you dehydrate your food, like we do, it's easier to carry the food but it will be heavy. You can use my address as a place to ship a box, if you want too. I live near where the trail crosses in Daleville VA.. just let me know.

rodwha
01-19-2014, 23:18
I certainly appreciate the offer. We aren't even in the taking time off planning stages. But it looks as though we may be moving from Texas that way around July. And I'd assume we'd go on as many weekend or extended trips as possible.

If our trip takes so long that our daughter gets big enough to carry her own stuff then she would come along for the trip as well, which would only increase the food needed, but would gain the experience with her.

HikerMom58
01-19-2014, 23:23
I certainly appreciate the offer. We aren't even in the taking time off planning stages. But it looks as though we may be moving from Texas that way around July. And I'd assume we'd go on as many weekend or extended trips as possible.

If our trip takes so long that our daughter gets big enough to carry her own stuff then she would come along for the trip as well, which would only increase the food needed, but would gain the experience with her.

It will be fun! :) What part of VA will you be moving too?

rodwha
01-19-2014, 23:23
I assume we'd do what we could to travel 6 days and spend the 7 th in a room and resupplying, as well as drinking picking something up to drink.

And a little funny as she had brought up hostels, which I was strongly against as I'm not so cool about sleeping with people I don't know :D But it was brought to my attention that this is actually a very good way to find current trail news, as well as meet cool people. But SWMBO would probably just get PO'd at me for talking to everyone else but her! I'd still not be so comfortable, especially if we had our wee one with us.

rodwha
01-19-2014, 23:25
Not really sure, but she's been looking around Manassas.

She has also looked at Portland.

rodwha
01-19-2014, 23:28
Down here in Texas the majority of the state parks have designated camping sites that are no more than 3 miles in so there's not been any cool backpacking. There's always Big Bend, but things haven't been so cool along the border towns, though I suppose I ought to seriously look at it before we go...

HikerMom58
01-19-2014, 23:34
Not really sure, but she's been looking around Manassas.

She has also looked at Portland.

Okay.. I lived near Manassas. :)

Yeah, until you get out on the trail for a couple of short overnight hikes. it's hard to tell if you will feel comfortable with the backpacking scene or not. Just try it... :)

rodwha
01-19-2014, 23:38
I'm sure I will be, and I'm quite certain she will be, it's just the staying in a large room with a bunch of strangers that seems a little strange to me. She's all for it…I've seen the movie!

rodwha
01-19-2014, 23:38
You moved from there… Nice town to live in?

HikerMom58
01-19-2014, 23:44
You moved from there… Nice town to live in?

It's too close to Washington DC for me. I lived there years ago. It's a rat's race! Traffic is bad most of the time. I've never been to San Antonio so I don't know how it would compare as far as feeling crowded. I don't like really big cities. But, that just me, you might love it there! :)

rodwha
01-19-2014, 23:58
The crowded big city hustle and bustle isn't for me either. DC and the area is horrible!

rodwha
01-20-2014, 00:05
It's far worse in DC than here, but here isn't all that much fun either. But it's terrible on a different scale in that they didn't figure in the road sizes needed.

HikerMom58
01-20-2014, 00:06
The crowded big city hustle and bustle isn't for me either. DC and the area is horrible!

Yeah, that would be Manassas VA.