PDA

View Full Version : The "Loop and Poop"

garlic08
01-20-2014, 09:34
Check this out (http://www.loopnpoop.com/). Be sure to watch the video.

The things you find on the internet.

yellowsirocco
01-20-2014, 09:43
Pretty funny. It is really easy to make one of those on your own so I hope she hasn't bet the farm on it.

Kerosene
01-20-2014, 10:00
Ouch, a year of prototyping with engineers? I do like her spiel though.

Deacon
01-20-2014, 10:13
Seems like it would be difficult to dig a cathole that close to a tree.

atmilkman
01-20-2014, 10:15
All the accessory attachments are what's gonna sell it. Especially the one for the bear bell. That way if a bear comes up sniffing your behind while your doing your duty all you got to do is wiggle your butt and it's outta there.

russb
01-20-2014, 10:29
No contraption needed, just grab the backside of the tree and lean back. I used to call this the "tree hugger method". One problem with the contraption is if you are back to far and can't reach the tree, it might be hard to get back up. The down side to the no contraption method is the need to hold oneself there with one hand while wiping.

Odd Man Out
01-20-2014, 10:32
I definitely have run out of places to hang bear bells! Noticed she violated the rule about going away from streams and trails. Oops.

RedBeerd
01-20-2014, 10:52
At least she covered some multi use ideas!

4eyedbuzzard
01-20-2014, 11:17
Formerly known as the "Strap and Crap" - unbelievable
Ideas for improvement:
A place to hang a disposable bag capable of receiving the accurately targeted result of the device. LNT.
A place to attach a can of bear spray and/or air freshener. In case the bell doesn't work.
A bidet accessory, maybe with a squeeze bottle and hose. For the European hikers.

Marta
01-20-2014, 12:36
Wear a skirt...

MuddyWaters
01-20-2014, 12:38
I hope she kept her day job.

Dogwood
01-20-2014, 17:07
Millions of folks around the world both men and women simply squat yet only in the U.S. will you see folks buying a belt so you can squat to leave a dump. No wonder folks are strapping boards across their arse, floating on inner tubes, or jumping into row boats to make it across the oceans or walking for 100's of miles through deserts, or locking themselves inside storage containers for several wks at a time(w/ 60 others) to get here for the opps that the U.S. offers. Yet babied spoiled U.S. citizens still complain about opps and nor being able to obtain careers/jobs.

4eyedbuzzard
01-20-2014, 18:00
Millions of folks around the world both men and women simply squat yet only in the U.S. will you see folks buying a belt so you can squat to leave a dump. No wonder folks are strapping boards across their arse, floating on inner tubes, or jumping into row boats to make it across the oceans or walking for 100's of miles through deserts, or locking themselves inside storage containers for several wks at a time(w/ 60 others) to get here for the opps that the U.S. offers. Yet babied spoiled U.S. citizens still complain about opps and nor being able to obtain careers/jobs.I bet they are trying to get in here just so they can take 6 months off and thru-hike the AT. :rolleyes:

Drybones
01-20-2014, 18:09
Formerly known as the "Strap and Crap" - unbelievable
Ideas for improvement:
A place to hang a disposable bag capable of receiving the accurately targeted result of the device. LNT.
A place to attach a can of bear spray and/or air freshener. In case the bell doesn't work.
A bidet accessory, maybe with a squeeze bottle and hose. For the European hikers.

A drink holder is a must. This device is kinds funny but it would have been nice to have last year when the knee swole and locked straight, made it impossible to squat, glad I had an engineering background to figure out how to crap in the woods then...people are like rats, some how they always come up with a way to survive.

CoffeeBager
01-20-2014, 18:42
If it were sized correctly, it could be used as a type of chair: http://www.coolhunting.com/design/vitra-chairless.php

I don't know if she ended up using it on her trip, but you can see Clinker using something like this in one of her pre-AT journal entries: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=399338

MuddyWaters
01-20-2014, 19:07
People have squatted for thousands of years

Yet today, going to the bathroom outside is unthinkable for many.

What a bunch of p_ss_es the human race has become.

garlic08
01-20-2014, 19:38
...What a bunch of p_ss_es the human race has become.

Yep. And here's some required reading (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8623679-in-fifty-years-we-ll-all-be-chicks) for us old grouchy guys.

kayak karl
01-20-2014, 19:55
potty pocket hammock http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OmxyZz1HNY

MDSection12
01-20-2014, 20:07
People have squatted for thousands of years

Yet today, going to the bathroom outside is unthinkable for many.

What a bunch of p_ss_es the human race has become.
I'm with you, to a degree, but the 'humans have done X for thousands of years' argument is a pretty crappy one (pun intended). Humans have done a lot of things for thousands of years that I'm quite happy to see become antiquated behaviors. Dying from mild infections, enslaving others based on race, subjugating women in general... Plenty more where those came from.

The whole 'the world was best in my day, and every change that comes after will be the end of it' argument has been going as long as we have. I'm not old enough to start my turn yet.

4eyedbuzzard
01-20-2014, 20:42
The best thing about the good old days is talking about them.
As George Carlin noted, "The good old days - back when botulism was a sauce."
That said, we tend to build "better mousetraps", often just for the sake of separating people from their hard earned money - just watch most infomercials for examples.

Trail Ponderer
01-20-2014, 21:09
4eyedbuzzard - enjoyed your ideas for improvement especially the bidet accessory.
I would have added a holder for magazine/book. I do my best reading, then.
The pocket potty hammock idea wouldn't work for me. I'm not a hammock guy so by the time I got the potty rigged up it would have been too late. I can't believe after all the time it took to rig up the potty, he couldn't dig a cathole.

Dogwood
01-20-2014, 22:28
potty pocket hammock http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OmxyZz1HNY

Hey, my GF has one of those. She calls them crotchless panties though. :D

Econochallenge = all night drunken party binge in the woods? I guess these are the types of things people who have cabin fever come up with. What's with all these idiots I notice in Alaska doing some stupid shart these days? Pun intended. He even has the nerve to list the 194 gm wt.

rickb
01-20-2014, 23:45
I think the Bumper Dumper is the way to go.

4eyedbuzzard
01-20-2014, 23:53
Hey, my GF has one of those. She calls them crotchless panties though. :D
Ah, so that's why they call them "whoopie" slings. It's all so clear now.

Siarl
01-21-2014, 06:00
I live in the Chihuahuan Desert/Big Bend National Park region and let me tell you, when you have to take a crap, it's not fun trying to find a tree to hold on to so you can lean back and squat. There aren't any trees and squatting ain't a simple thing either. Attempting to balance with one hand and wipe is also not simple. I don't think I would buy one of these but after seeing the video, i don't think it would be difficult to make one either. I think a simple tie down with a ratchet and hook would pretty much do it. Sew some other D-Rings on the side of the webbing for any accessories ie., TP, alcy wipes etc. and there you have it. Just make sure you're not in the desert cause I can pretty much guaran-dang-teeya, there won't be any trees to hold on to.

Some of us folks suffer from issues such as Inflammatory Bowel Disease such as Crohn's etc or other issues which turn Nature's Call into a broken record on a sometimes daily basis. We can't necessarily depend on making it to the next shelter or place with a privy. I think this is a great idea. I'm not saying this to rain on her parade though. For the price of what she is asking I could buy the tie down with a ratchet already made at the hardware store. I happen to have two of them already for tying down stuff in my RV so it doesn't move around when I'm on the road. We used them in the Air Force when I was a medivac on our 130s and 141s for the same reason. U-Haul uses them for their clients to tie down belongings in the truck.

Old Grouse
01-21-2014, 07:26
In a treeless area I guess you could rig an anchor about ten feet out - if your rig is long enough.

RCBear
01-21-2014, 09:41
Paracord and carabiner work just fine. and they happen to be in my pack anyway.