PDA

View Full Version : Any flip-floppers out there?

Macabe96
01-20-2014, 12:33
I was looking to start heading to Katahdin from the PA/MD line sometime that last week in March/first week in April. Anyone else out there have similar plans?

George
01-20-2014, 23:00
crappy conditions for that section of the trail at that time

Odd Man Out
01-21-2014, 10:54
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-start

The ATC web site has some suggested flip flop itineraries. You seem to suggest what they call the "Head Start", but for starting in MD, they suggest a May head start. For March, they suggest starting further south.

colorado_rob
01-21-2014, 11:49
I plan on heading north from Front royal in early April, maybe the 10th, so I'll be at the PA/MD line about 6 days later. Can you clarify what you mean by "crappy conditions" George? I expect plenty of rain. Anything else besides the mud that comes with rain? Cold doesn't bother me at all. I suppose there could be a freak snow shower, again, no issue.

Macabe96
01-21-2014, 18:02
+1 for further explanation. Yes, it will be a chilly start...but no worse than starting in the south at the same time. Yes, there prob will be the occasional snow storm. I did a 100 mile section last year around that same area and encountered a storm that dumped anywhere from 8-12 inches on us. We were fine. I think mostly these "crappy conditions" you refer to have a lot to do with your mind set.

takethisbread
01-21-2014, 18:34
I was looking to start heading to Katahdin from the PA/MD line sometime that last week in March/first week in April. Anyone else out there have similar plans?

take your time. the reason it's a bad time is that u will arrive in northern New England possibly too early. mud, snow, black flies will spoil it. I think June 1 might be a better start time from that spot, or flip flop from say damascus . but to each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colorado_rob
01-22-2014, 11:19
Thanks for the info on conditions, I might just delay my start a couple weeks (late in April vs. early April)

Whichway
02-08-2014, 17:25
I'm planning a mid to late April start from Waynesboro,VA. NOBO, then flopping back to do the SOBO. Seems smart to do the easy sections first then finish the tough sections strong! Besides I live in PA and it works out well to hike for a few weeks then evaluate gear close to home. April in PA. is not pretty, unless it is a nice warm early spring. See you out there, maybe!

Toon
02-08-2014, 17:34
Starting north of hotsprings early may to hit trail days ontime then coming back to hotsprings and going south

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

max patch
02-08-2014, 17:54
April 1-15 is the best time to start a NOBO from Springer. No "hiking" reason to flip if starting in that time frame.