PDA

View Full Version : Dunnfield Creek Bridge

saimyoji
09-03-2005, 20:37
The bridge was damaged last fall in the flooding, and has yet to be repaired. Initially there was yellow tape blocking entrance to the bridge, with signs saying the bridge was closed. Yesterday I hiked there again, the yellow tape was gone, but the signs were still there. The bridge looks in seriously poor condition, yet people were still using it. I crossed on the rocks in the creek bed.

Anyone know about future repairs to the bridge?

BobS
09-07-2005, 21:14
Do you mean the Dunnfield Creek bridge in NJ?

saimyoji
09-07-2005, 21:47
Ooops. Dunnfield Creek bridge. Yep, thats the one.

BobS
09-08-2005, 21:18
There are ongoing discussions (one scheduled for this month) between the management partners of this area to plan repair/replacement for this bridge. We don't know a time frame yet.

saimyoji
09-08-2005, 21:52
Thanks for the update. :cool:

glocke
01-23-2006, 07:17
I was there yesterday (1/22/06), and what was left of the bridge had been removed. The creek was high enough (~2 feet) that I couldnt cross it without water getting over my boots. Some people were using a tree that had fallen across the creek to cross, but even though I consider myself a good hiker, Im not that comfortable with crossing streams in that fashion, so my hike up to sunfish pond didnt happen...

Any word on when a new bridge will be built?

BobS
01-23-2006, 12:28
Hopefully, late spring or early summer. Not sure how realistic that is yet.

BobS
01-23-2006, 14:46
A little more info:

Planning has started for a replacement bridge in approximately the same location. Until then, if Dunnfield Creek is too high, the AT North can be accessed from the AT Overflow parking area.

The grass AT Overflow area is just past the 2 paved lots off of the westbound lanes of I-80, just before the last exit in NJ. 200 feet or so past the Dunnfield Creek lot, pull off of I-80 onto the shoulder and then the grass. The gated fire road at the back of the area leads to the AT trail north of the creek.

c.coyle
05-21-2006, 17:15
I was up there today. The concrete piers for the new bridge (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=11004&original=1) are poured. No deck yet, so it's ford the creek or walk across a big old tree trunk.

saimyoji
05-21-2006, 17:51
The creek was high enough (~2 feet) that I couldnt cross it without water getting over my boots. Some people were using a tree that had fallen across the creek to cross, but even though I consider myself a good hiker, Im not that comfortable with crossing streams in that fashion, so my hike up to sunfish pond didnt happen...

You could have hiked the Dunnfield Creek Trail up to the pond. You could also have taken the Tammany trail up to the ridge and the fire road over to the pond. Sorry you let a little water ruin your hike. :(

saimyoji
05-27-2007, 21:06
Hiked up to Sunfish Pond via the AT today....new bridge...looks like it will withstand a few years of floods.... Also a new bridge going up the Dunnfield Creek Trail (Green Blazes). Didn't actually hike that trail, so I don't know what its like, though I imagine its been groomed and well maintained.

The visitor center at DWG is being rebuilt as well, this time a little ways back from the river. Not sure if that will make much difference, but they've sure had some hard luck with flooding the past few years. If they'd only stop building upstream.....:rolleyes:

The place was packed, though few people made it more than a mile from the parking lot.....no surprise there.

Oh, and according to the local ridge runners, its okay for your dogs to swim in the pond, but not you. :-?