PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ditched their SLR for a mirrorless camera?

DandT40
01-20-2014, 14:18
Ive always used my trusty old Nikon D200 for everything - including lugging it on all my backpacking trips - but I think it is about at the end of it's life. While the sensor is still decent enough I need a new lens at best and since it doesn't shoot video I've been looking at picking up a GoPro or other camera for video since the iphone videos just dont cut it.

So this all got me looking down the road at a new camera and the mirrorless options, especially the Sony line, look very interesting especially for backpacking. I'm considering the NEX-6 with the EVF and the hot shoe for my external flash and then add in a nice wide angle lens. The size and weight savings alone would be a huge plus for me. And being able to shoot video with the same camera would be really nice rather than adding more weight and things to go wrong with the second video camera.

I know Sony is about to release a new model in March for their mirrorless line of cameras and the NEX-6 is a bit old at this point, but the price is right. I was considering probably the 19mm sigma for a wide angle lens. Any thoughts on the mirrorless lines of cameras, the sonys specifically, or a lens for the sony e mount?

Feral Bill
01-20-2014, 20:19
I use an Olympus Pen mirrorless, and it suits me well. With an adapter I use my old OM 1 lenses. I mostly shoot manual so the loss of automation is no problem. The compactness is a very real virtue. There is plenty of information on line for all the makes and models available.

mfleming
01-20-2014, 20:23
Thinking about getting a Sony r7

bigcranky
01-20-2014, 21:38
I use both DSLR and mirrorless systems, and I've been using mirrorless for my personal, travel, and hiking camera for about four years. The advantages are the smaller size and lighter weight, and usually lower cost. There is no real reduction in image quality, though with some systems the overall speed and responsiveness can suffer compared to a modern DSLR. (Compared to a D200 you'll be very pleased with the image quality from any of the Sony cameras.)

I have both Micro 4/3 and Fujifilm mirrorless systems. The m4/3 has the most extensive lens selection -- something the Sony systems lack -- and the overall size and weight are very favorable especially for hiking and travel. The Olympus OM-D EM-5 and the Panasonic GX7 would be my choices for camera bodies; there are numerous excellent lenses like the Panny 7-14 f/4 and the 12-35 f/2.8 zooms (not cheap), the Panny 100-300 zoom (pretty reasonable), and the various Olympus primes. The EM-5 is weather sealed along with the standard zoom (I think it's a 12-50?), making it potentially a good choice for hiking. (Though "weather sealed" is one of those phrases that doesn't necessarily mean much.)

I've moved to using the Fuji system for almost all my personal work and much of my paid photography. The cameras and lenses are larger, though, and I probably wouldn't take them in the backcountry unless the primary purpose of the trip were photography. But man are they fun to shoot, and the lenses are stellar.

Video quality is generally excellent from all of these cameras, though the Panasonics seem to have more high end video features on some of their cameras, if that's a primary use. (The GH3, for example.)

I don't have a lot of experience with the Sony NEX system, though the photogs at our medical school use the NEX 7 cameras and love them.

My personal DSLR system will be sold off, and I'll just use the Canon DSLRs at work when I need the focusing and shooting speed. I'm very happy with the smaller cameras for most of what I do.

JustBob
01-20-2014, 22:59
I switched out my Nikon for an OM-D E5 that sits on a Peak Design Capture Clip on a pack strap. Very happy with both.

Venchka
01-21-2014, 09:04
Ive always used my trusty old Nikon D200 for everything - including lugging it on all my backpacking trips - but I think it is about at the end of it's life. While the sensor is still decent enough I need a new lens at best and since it doesn't shoot video I've been looking at picking up a GoPro or other camera for video since the iphone videos just dont cut it.

So this all got me looking down the road at a new camera and the mirrorless options, especially the Sony line, look very interesting especially for backpacking. I'm considering the NEX-6 with the EVF and the hot shoe for my external flash and then add in a nice wide angle lens. The size and weight savings alone would be a huge plus for me. And being able to shoot video with the same camera would be really nice rather than adding more weight and things to go wrong with the second video camera.

I know Sony is about to release a new model in March for their mirrorless line of cameras and the NEX-6 is a bit old at this point, but the price is right. I was considering probably the 19mm sigma for a wide angle lens. Any thoughts on the mirrorless lines of cameras, the sonys specifically, or a lens for the sony e mount?

19mm on a Nex 6 isn't wide. 16mm on a Nex 6 would be just about perfect. A.K.A. 24mm on 35mm film. That said, by the time you add the Gizmos you mention to the Nex 6, aren't you in another price range that includes cameras with the Gizmos built in? A friend of mine dumped all of his medium format gear (Bronica & Mamiya) for an Olympus OM-D EM5, and a bushel of lenses and is grinning from ear to ear. The Olympus 12-50 lens is tiny and sharp, sharp and sharp. My friend also uses vintage Nikkor glass on his Olympus digital camera. the best of all worlds.
Good luck.

Wayne

colorado_rob
01-21-2014, 09:23
I did try the NEX 6, then went back to DSLR, in particular the Canon SL1 with the outstanding (sharp and focuses instantly) but ridiculously cheap little 18-55mm, together they weigh 1 pound 6 ounces, including strap, battery, card and lens. The NEX 6 w/ 16-50 was (I sold it) very close to that. Basically, a couple ounce weight penalty with the Canon SL1. I missed having an optical view finder, plus the controls on the Canon were better for me. The Canon SL1 is an amazing backpack camera. My criteria is that I don't notice it hanging from my neck, and I don't (just like I didn't with the NEX). Price for the SL1 was $449 for the body, $140 for the lens. I also sometimes carry a Sigma 15mm fixed lens when I want wider, and I wish I had something light and longer when I want longer. Canon makes a 55-250mm zoom that weighs 13 oz.

No brainer for me, I tried, but now I'm back to a DSLR. (I also use a full frame Canon 6D for vacations/car trips where weight is no issue, though the 6D is the lightest full frame DSLR).

DandT40
01-21-2014, 11:16
Thinking about getting a Sony r7
That was yesterday's debate for me as well. But once you start to add in lenses on that thing I'm carrying over $3k of camera gear on a backpacking trip. Sounds all good, but then I thought about my first stream crossing or first time I'm exhausted and accidentally slam down my pack or camera bag on a rock or something and I would be more worried about the camera than anything else! Kind of like the sunglasses rule - don't bring anything too expensive that you would mind losing/breaking. But it is very tempting to go full frame and be done with worrying about bodies for awhile.

I think I'm at the point now where I am going to wait and see what the update for NEX-7 comes out looking like (it won't have the NEX name of course, but just whatever they put above the alpha 5000). I have a trip to the Grand Canyon in March so I may buy something for the trip and try it out. Keep my eye open on a deal for the NEX-6 or something and then wait until Sony announces some new cameras and see what they decide to do with them. I'm not completely sold on dropping the DSLR. I still love all the features it has and its AF ability is way better than these mirrorless cameras, but I need an update for sure...

sbeatrice13
01-21-2014, 11:21
Using my olympus tough, no way would I lug around my D90

Highway Man
01-26-2014, 19:26
I got rid of my Canon Rebel T2i, which I took for my Colorado Trail thru hike and part of Long Trail hike a few years ago. Now I have Sony Alpha NEX 5N and feel quite happy about it. It's lightweight, small size, and has better image quality. But it also lacks behind a DSLR in terms of operational control, and speed. It gives me some hassles particularly when I want to deal with the interface and focus system. Anyway, as I just take it for shooting normal natural scenes at hiking, these shortcomings can be overlooked.

Texaco
12-10-2014, 21:26
I shoot freelance in the real life (versus trail life, of course), and debated bringing my 5Dm3 or 6D with me. Ended up taking my back-up's back-up T1i and a kit 17-55 lens, and couldn't be happier that I did. Shot RAW the entire time. The first body made it from Springer to Killington before drowning in a monsoon rain storm. I had another body overnighted from Amazon to finish the trail. A month later the wet body had made a full recovery and has returned to duty as a very-backup.

Vote for keeping an SLR.

rafe
12-10-2014, 23:24
So far I'm very pleased with my Sony RX-100 (original 2012 model.) It will be the smallest and lightest of all my backpacking cameras to date. It is in fact mirrorless but you guys are using "mirrorless" to mean something else. My criteria was: best image quality in a light, tiny package.

I too am selling off my MF gear. Sold my Pentax 645 kit to KEH. Not worth much but better than collecting dust in my closet.

Connie
12-11-2014, 09:15
I still have my Nikon F with waist-level finder, I find less intimidating to wildlife and people.

It is my car camera. I also have my Leica M w/90 mm "portrait" lens I rarely carry outside a coffee shop. I ask permission first before I photograph people. I like coffee shop photos, especially, with the 28 mm lens. I have thought this would be the hot setup for photographing people in the hiker hut scene.

My backpacking camera is Fujifilm Finepix F550EXR 24 mm wide 15X Zoom GPS digital camera. I am pretty excited about this digital camera. It is small. It does 16:9 for a PC display flatscreen. It has so many features, really. I am eager to get GPS photos of my hikes up online.

Thank you, for mention of the Peak Design Capture Clip. So, I would use the Peak Design Capture P.O.V. Action Mount on a backpack shoulder strap?

I will get a hiking pole Stic Pic.

bigcranky
12-11-2014, 14:37
I will get a hiking pole Stic Pic.

I use the SticPic more than I thought I would. Nice little device.

I still have my Canon New F-1, with a set of prime lenses from the late 60s/early 70s. Still works just fine, not sure it will ever die, but I haven't put a roll of film through it in years.

For fun you might check out some of the Fuji X series offerings. The X Pro 1 is dirt cheap these days, and Fuji makes some wonderful fast prime lenses for it. It's not a Leica, nor a true rangefinder, but it has a similar feel when shooting. Very enjoyable. Of course I'm unlikely to take it backpacking :)

Connie
12-11-2014, 18:26
I have used a lot of Ilford XP-1 film.

Try some Ilford XP-2, run it thru the grocery store C41 processor, for surprising quality B&W.

It can make you look like Ansel Adams.