PDA

View Full Version : Snow stakes vs. regular stakes

BuckeyeBill
01-20-2014, 14:35
Planning a mid March to first of April start. I know that I will have to deal with snow. Does anyone use snow stakes over regular stakes for anchoring their tarp or tent.

George
01-20-2014, 22:56
if it snows that much the stakes will be one of your lesser issues

Smooth & Wasabi
01-20-2014, 23:33
I'd go with regular stakes but have the skill and extra guy line to improvise dead men just in case.

Feral Bill
01-21-2014, 01:20
I'd go with regular stakes but have the skill and extra guy line to improvise dead men just in case. That would be tying your lines to the middle of random sticks found at camp and burying them in the snow. Works fine.

BuckeyeBill
01-22-2014, 12:25
if it snows that much the stakes will be one of your lesser issues

Not really George. The Cuben Fiber tarp that I am getting has 10 tie downs plus four pullouts. In watching Shug's videos, I noticed that he was using snow stakes with just a few inches of snow.

To S&W I use regular Groundhog stakes and would think the frozen ground will bend them.

To Ferel Bill that is an option, given that I can find enough sticks and rocks to hold it down.

Ron
01-22-2014, 13:30
Your Groundhog stakes will work better on frozen ground than snow stakes like the aluminum SMC or REI stakes. Groundhogs aren't invincible but they are very tough.

HooKooDooKu
01-22-2014, 14:08
I would see the need for snow stakes ONLY if the ground is frozen. South of the Maxon-Dixion line in the spring, that is unlikely to be the case.

BrianLe
01-23-2014, 11:44
If there's that much snow so that you need snow stakes, I would speculate that there would then tend to be room in shelters most of the time. Perhaps the Smokies would be an exception, but then I'd plan (and in fact do plan) to just rig up deadman anchors from local materials as needed. I do carry one snow stake to serve as a cathole trowel, also useful for snow or for very soft/sandy soil.

Hot Flash
01-23-2014, 12:02
That would be tying your lines to the middle of random sticks found at camp and burying them in the snow. Works fine.

This, yes.

BuckeyeBill
01-23-2014, 14:14
with the exception of the Smokies I plan on hanging every chance I get. There are too many critters in shelters for my liking.