PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

johnnyjohnson2043
01-20-2014, 14:42
It’s been a while since I’ve been on here so I’m going to reintroduce myself.

My name is Gareth and I made an AT thru attempt in 2011. Unfortunately my knee gave out by the time I got to NOC and I was forced off the trail. To make a long story short, a good friend of mine has been talking recently about hiking the trail so she’s been asking me a ton of questions. I’ve given her the the best information I can with my limited experience but I’m also doing a ton of research for her and giving her good resources so that she can do her own research. Since I’ve been doing that research I’ve found myself wanting desperately to get back out on the trail so I’ve decided to start planning my own trip.

My last attempt failed mainly due to three things; pack weight, too many miles too early in the trip and not enough physical preparation. Hopefully I’ve learned my lesson. When I first stepped foot on the trail I was carrying about 45lbs (including fuel, food and water.) By the end I had managed to whittle that down to about 35lbs. Now I’m looking at ultralight weight options. I’m hoping to eventually get under 15lbs as a base weight. I do have a few questions but I’ll leave that for another post. In the meantime, I look forward to talking to everyone!

HikerMom58
01-20-2014, 15:02
Welcome back to WB, Gareth!