PDA

View Full Version : Protein Drinks?

Shroomism
09-03-2005, 22:16
So I am thin and have a super fast metabolism to begin with.. so I need all the calories I can get when on the trail. I sometimes like to drink these protein supplement drinks at home to get extra fat/calories/carbs, so I figured why not bring them on the trail? walmart has a brand called equate that I get, 6 bucks for 6 cans. 1 8oz can provides 350 calories, 11g fat, 50g carbs, and 13g protein, as well as many vitamins and minerals. I just open the cans and empty them into a nalgene or something. Some people think they are gross, but I really don't mind the chocolate or the vanilla ones. I like to chase down some gorp with a couple heavy chugs of this stuff at snack time. :banana
I've also brought the protein shake powder before with good results.

sierraDoug
09-03-2005, 23:56
The powders sound much lighter in weight. Which ones have you tried? Which do you recommend? Do you ever use a plain protein powder (whey or soy) and add it to other food on a trip?

Thanks for the info.

Shroomism
09-04-2005, 02:08
Well there's tons of protein powders out there.. I usually get whey and look for the one most packed with amino acids and calories/fat/carbs. Depends on your needs.. I tend to need extra fat in my diet. Some have very little fat. But you can add it to oatmeal and rice/pasta dishes easily. They have a bunch of flavors.

Here's a site with a bunch - http://www.discountanabolics.com/page/DA/CTGY/Protein

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-04-2005, 05:54
I use protein powder when backpacking and have for years. Protein powder is available in bulk from any place that sells stuff to body builders and in smaller containers from Wal-Mart. One caution – the powders with fat in them, while they supply more calories, will go rancid in about a week at the temps found in a backpack. Before I discovered it, I used instant breakfast powder and that may make more sense for thru hikers dong resupplies in towns along the trail because it is already packaged in single servings and readily available in the smaller quantities needed.

I add the vanilla or strawberry flavor to cooked cereal for breakfast (add after cooking because it will stick to the pan if cooked). I add whatever flavor makes sense with the base flavor to something like pudding, no-bake cheesecake mix, etc. at other meals. I try to be sure the male dino and I get 2 scoops at day - more if we are pretty much eating meatless meals. My rationale is that muscles need protein to rebuild and there is no harder workout than toting a backpack over several mountains a day.

Another favorite use for the powder that is particularly suited to adding calories - mix a pancake mix that says it requires an egg (like Bisquick) and add one scoop per serving of whatever protein powder flavor you like instead. Be sure to add oil to the mixture, to oil the skillet and let it get hot before starting to cook these, as they will stick unless you do both. These are great warm with peanut butter between two cakes on cold nights / mornings and leftovers make a nice snack as you are going down the trail. I’ve been known to make a sort of stack cake with powdered icing mix (not sure if this is made anymore) between the pancakes on a certain dino’s birthday.

Shroomism
09-04-2005, 14:33
Great tips! I also forgot to mention that I am mostly a vegetarian.. I'll eat meat like once a month.. fish whenever I can get it. Protein powder helps fill in the gaps. Lots of nuts and grains too. Good call on the using whatever flavors makes sense.. I once brought some vanilla powder with me and tried it with a bunch of stuff with varying levels of success (hint- vanilla flavored mac n cheese is for the bold and and adventurous.) I've tried the flavorless ones and that mixes well with just about anything... but my favorite is the chocolate and mixing it in my oatmeal or cereal in the morning.

frieden
10-06-2005, 21:22
EAS is the best, but is expensive. Just remember that whey protein is the most usable by your body. You might want to think about egg white powder, too.

HikeLite
10-07-2005, 11:25
Dried milk