PDA

View Full Version : backpack attic

squeezebox
01-21-2014, 02:23
What do you put in the attic of your backpack ? Looks like a good place for rainwear in inclement weather, Snacks and lunch ? headlamp ?
Thanks for your opinion.

gumball
01-21-2014, 05:41
Usually snacks, whatever shirt I throw on when I stop for a break to keep the chill off--whatever I need to pull out quickly. I don't have an extra compartment up of my GG pack, but this is what I stuff at the top. I also usually put my crocs up on top, outside of the pack, to keep the dirt out. Gum

Hill Ape
01-21-2014, 06:49
i take it off and dont use it, but yeah, when i did use one it was snacks and lights, anything else i needed quick access too and dont want to have to dig for

RCBear
01-21-2014, 08:58
Poncho, knife, lunch, 2 snacks, compass if really off trail, stuff I need quick access to or my hiking partner can get to without me removing my pack.

The pocket on the underside holds my first aid, headlamp, phone and anything else I might need before getting to camp and not wanting to have to access my pack compartment for.

garlic08
01-21-2014, 09:32
I take it off and don't use it...

Same here, but I used to keep my rain gear up there.

leaftye
01-21-2014, 09:35
Mine doesn't have one. If I strap anything to the top, it's a foam pad, usually just a sit pad.

Starchild
01-21-2014, 09:38
I've called it and heard it called 'the brain'

I usually kept in it my food for that day (not including camp dinner), rain wear went in the back panel. I may have occasionally kept the electronic cables adapter if I felt there was a chance to recharge along the way.

I also used it as a daypack/slackpack at times, at which time it held a water bottle, steripen, extra clothes such as rain gear - usually stuffed till bursting (well not quite, but close).

VTATHiker
01-21-2014, 09:59
On my old Gregory I used it for my headlamp, medical things, and maps. Somewhere along the way I decided it wasn't worth the weight, and I took it off. The last pack I bought I wanted to "brain" free - a Golite Pinnacle.

A fella named Bull Moose who I met in Maine was the only hiker I met who really loved his pack brain. It was positioned just right so that he could reach behind his head and get things without having to take the pack off. I've never been able to do that with a pack, but if I could I suppose I might like the design a little more.

tarditi
01-21-2014, 10:38
Gregory Baltoro 65... I keep my rain jacket, headlamp, map, and shemagh in there... snacks go into my food storage area (longer stop) or loaded into my cargo pocket or the waistbelt pouch for on-the-go.

snail2010
01-21-2014, 11:05
Pretty much what you've suggested plus toilet paper!

sbeatrice13
01-21-2014, 11:22
Rain cover and headlamp

ChuckT
01-21-2014, 12:40
Osprey Exos. In the "brain" I have rain gear and First Aid kit. Maybe a beanie/balaclava and gloves. In its zipper compartment are xtra batteries for camera, phone and GPS. Hand sanitizer and anti-chafe are in the waist belt pockets. Camera and GPS are hung on pack straps. Everything else in the main bag or outside (when damp). Snacks have a very short half-life around me so they are in whatever pocket is handiest

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk