PDA

View Full Version : From Katahdin to Portland, ME afterwards

grateful 2
01-21-2014, 11:40
When my thru is over, I am wondering how to get back home to Atlanta. I can take the Megabus from Portland, ME to Atlanta for under $100, but I am unsure of the best way to get to Portland. I don't really want to use Greyhound, however money is an issue. Are there any other cheap options besides hitching? Or should I try a straighter shot to Atlanta?

4eyedbuzzard
01-21-2014, 11:56
"Can't get thar from here." Hitch or get a ride to Medway from someone leaving the park - shouldn't be a big problem. People are hiker friendly. You might even get lucky and get a ride all the way to Portland. If not, from Medway, take Cyr Bus bus to Bangor ($12) and connect to other bus lines to Portland (about $25 on Concord Coach or "the dog") - see this http://johntcyrandsons.com/daily-service/

peakbagger
01-22-2014, 07:38
95% of the people who are staying at Baxter State Park are short term campers who have driven up from southern Maine past Portland. Many would welcome the opportunity to give a thru hiker a ride. I would suggest finishing your hike and finding a nearby stream to get cleaned up in an then ask around at the trail heads if anyone is going your way. There really are only two road that leave Millinocket that head in the direction of Portland and 99% of the folks head out on I 95 in Medway, if you do get a hitch or a shuttle out of the park to Millinocket find a cardboard box make a sign and unless it is in the middle of the week in lousy weather, you will probably get a ride in an hour or so. Just time when you start hitching, overnighters at the end of their stay will tend to be in Milinocket from 8 to 10 and those day hiking will tend to be in Millinocket from 4 to 7 PM.

sadlowskiadam
01-22-2014, 10:42
Take $12 bus from Millinocket to Bangor, Maine. Then take Greyhound from Bangor to Atlanta. This is probably your easiest and cheapest bet.

HikerMom58
01-22-2014, 10:51
When my thru is over, I am wondering how to get back home to Atlanta. I can take the Megabus from Portland, ME to Atlanta for under $100, but I am unsure of the best way to get to Portland. I don't really want to use Greyhound, however money is an issue. Are there any other cheap options besides hitching? Or should I try a straighter shot to Atlanta?

Wait what?? rather go up planning to do a thru? HM did not know about this! Do tell. :>)

How bout do a yo yo? ;)

grateful 2
01-22-2014, 13:50
Look forward to seeing you and your family again when I come through. You were so kind to me the last time. (Remember that rain storm?)

doheir
01-26-2014, 21:58
I'd get a Magic Marker and a piece of large cardboard & write clearly
"Thru Hiker Going to Portland". If it took more than 30 minutes to catch a ride, I'd be surprised, and it won't cost you a dime. There are plenty of drivers who would find your trail stories interesting.