PDA

View Full Version : No money = No hike?! HELP

Christie Belle
01-21-2014, 17:45
I have become increasingly worried about not having enough money for my thru-hike in April. I'm just out of college, I wait tables and bartend, but also have a lot of bills to pay. I was wondering if there's any kind of sponsoring or funding sites or help available? I'd hate more than anything to not be able to hike due to lack of funds... I'm struggling to save money (I'm not spending, my rent is high and tips are slow) and am extremely worried about not having $3-4,000 by mid April.

Help? Has anyone else experienced this, and what did you do?

ChinMusic
01-21-2014, 17:47
Don't expect others to pay for your vacation. You are an adult now.

Coffee
01-21-2014, 17:57
Waiting tables and bartending may be the type of skills that could land temporary jobs in towns along the trail if you run low on cash.

illabelle
01-21-2014, 18:01
Christie Belle, don't get discouraged. You might have to put off your hike until next year, or you might be able to do only half the trail this year, and complete it next year. There are many people who have done just that.

But CM is right, don't expect others to fund your hike. In fact, be prepared for a chorus of people saying just that. Some of them might not be polite about it, but don't take it personally. Just understand that this type of question comes up on a regular basis. Anytime there's a whiff of "entitlement", it's usually followed by a vigorous effort to snuff it out. You're still pretty new on WB, so we'll forgive you. Try to forgive us, too!

Keep in mind that plenty of people save up their money, buy gear, quit their jobs, and start on the trail, only to find out a few days or a few weeks later that they don't like backpacking for weeks at a time. If it turns out that you don't like it, you may find that the money you've saved is plenty. :)

OCDave
01-21-2014, 18:05
I have many dreams, desires and fantasies for which I don't have the cash, the money or the funds. Therefore, I don't do those things. It is called living within your means.

I wish you the best life you can afford.

Different Socks
01-21-2014, 18:07
Christie Belle, don't get discouraged. You might have to put off your hike until next year, or you might be able to do only half the trail this year, and complete it next year. There are many people who have done just that.

But CM is right, don't expect others to fund your hike. In fact, be prepared for a chorus of people saying just that. Some of them might not be polite about it, but don't take it personally. Just understand that this type of question comes up on a regular basis. Anytime there's a whiff of "entitlement", it's usually followed by a vigorous effort to snuff it out. You're still pretty new on WB, so we'll forgive you. Try to forgive us, too!

Keep in mind that plenty of people save up their money, buy gear, quit their jobs, and start on the trail, only to find out a few days or a few weeks later that they don't like backpacking for weeks at a time. If it turns out that you don't like it, you may find that the money you've saved is plenty. :)

Well said!

Dogwood
01-21-2014, 18:15
C'mon ChinMusic have a heart. Can't you spare some change?

Christiebelle you asked this question: "Help? Has anyone else experienced this, and what did you do?" Seriously, do you think we all are getting sponsored free ride thru-hikes paid for by someone else or are all independently wealthy? Sponsorship in hiking is a rare thing. I'm going to go way out on a limb here but it's my guess you're not going to get sponsorship, free enough stuff, or money to attempt your hike.

1) DON'T do a $3000-4000 AT thru-hike!

2)Reduce your on trail costs.Lots of info here on WB about how to do that. IF you can't or fail to reduce your non hiking finances NOW pre-hike it's not likely to happen while attempting a thru-hike for the entire duration of an AT thu-hike! Reduce the amt of money you spend on a hike! I've said that twice now, for very good reason. MOST don't do it effectively enough to complete AT thru-hikes. That's the reality as it's been amply observed by me.

3) Don't attempt an AT thru-hike. Do a longish AT section hike. Spread the costs out over two or more hiking seasons completing the AT in that fashion. If hiking the AT is truly your goal then you will notice that not everyone who achieves that goal does it by thru-hiking.

rickb
01-21-2014, 18:29
I have become increasingly worried about not having enough money for my thru-hike in April. I'm just out of college, I wait tables and bartend, but also have a lot of bills to pay. I was wondering if there's any kind of sponsoring or funding sites or help available? I'd hate more than anything to not be able to hike due to lack of funds... I'm struggling to save money (I'm not spending, my rent is high and tips are slow) and am extremely worried about not having $3-4,000 by mid April.

How much can you scrape together, will you have outstanding loans on day one of your hike, and what kind of prospects do you see for making money in the future? Not questions you should answer here, but ones to ask your self.

Depending on the answers you might ponder that the minimum payment on a $2000 credit card balance is something like $50 per month.

Everyone knows one should not squander their money or even think of something so irresponsible, but some part of me thinks it could be rationalized as an educational investment!

Christie Belle
01-21-2014, 18:34
I'm absolutely not looking for handouts... I've been completely independent for 2 years, I was simply asking for advice.

Toon
01-21-2014, 18:39
1800freehike

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

mak1277
01-21-2014, 18:41
I'm absolutely not looking for handouts... I've been completely independent for 2 years, I was simply asking for advice.

You wrote, "I was wondering if there's any kind of sponsoring or funding sites or help available?"

Isn't that asking for a handout?

ChinMusic
01-21-2014, 18:43
I'm absolutely not looking for handouts...

Then, what does the following mean?

I was wondering if there's any kind of sponsoring or funding sites or help available? I'd hate more than anything to not be able to hike due to lack of funds...

lonehiker
01-21-2014, 18:43

But you did ask for handouts and not simply for advice...

George
01-21-2014, 18:47
wait till you get your budget and sobo

Christie Belle
01-21-2014, 18:47
I'm really really sorry... This was not my intentions, it came out wrong!

How do I delete a thread...

lonehiker
01-21-2014, 18:50

You just suck it up. Most everyone on here has inserted foot before. It will blow over.

Rolls Kanardly
01-21-2014, 19:07
Go to your post, you may still be able to edit. Rolls

Son Driven
01-21-2014, 19:12
Do you believe in miracles? Step out in faith with what you have. A short section hike will give you a taste of the AT, and is better then no hike at all. There is always a chance that miraculous trail magic will fall upon you.

HikerMom58
01-21-2014, 19:18
Go to your post, you may still be able to edit. Rolls

I don't think she has the "power" to do that Rolls. It's OKAY! :) Christie Bell don't worry about it. If members don't read ur #15 post then that's their problem not yours... you've apologized. You're home free! :D

kennajm
01-21-2014, 19:18
Is this where I come for my hikin' stipend? I'd like two please! :D

Deer Hunter
01-21-2014, 19:19
Well said!

+1..........

Malto
01-21-2014, 19:23
A thru hike is a vacation. There is not a vacation welfare department. In order to get the money, increase earnings, decrease spending or delay. It is not in the Bill of Rights that you are entitled a vacation when you want it. If it was I would be hiking the Triple Crown this year. BUT, there are bleeding hearts out there that seems to feel good about themselves for funding others vacations so who knows, you may already have $3-4000 pledged. Good luck.

leaftye
01-21-2014, 19:24
Ways to make a extra cash.
1. Donate plasma. Usually it's up to around $100 for the first week, then up to $50 a week thereafter. This requires donating twice a week.
2. Work online. Mturk and Clickworker are two good places to start.
3. Do side work locally. Check the /etc section of Craigslist. Take advantage of focus groups, which also includes jury focus groups. taskrabbit.com may not be active enough if your area, but go ahead and try it anyway.
4. Donate your eggs.
5. Look into taking in a short term roommate, or offer up a bed on couchsurfing-like sites if you have the space available.

RedBeerd
01-21-2014, 19:29
I've accepted the fact 2014 may not be the year, for financial reasons as well. I think I'd rather be debt free and as mentioned above, live within my means, until it makes a little more financial sense to do it.
Be content with a long section hike! The trail isn't going anywhere.

perrymk
01-21-2014, 19:40
1. Donate plasma. Usually it's up to around $100 for the first week, then up to $50 a week thereafter. This requires donating twice a week.
3. Do side work locally. Check the /etc section of Craigslist. Take advantage of focus groups, which also includes jury focus groups. taskrabbit.com may not be active enough if your area, but go ahead and try it anyway.
4. Donate your eggs.
5. Look into taking in a short term roommate, or offer up a bed on couchsurfing-like sites if you have the space available.

I was going to suggest plasma and roommate, but there are sill more options to suggest.

6. babysit / pet sit. Babysitting often comes with a free meal.
7. fresh out of college? Perhaps there is a subject you can tutor. I tutored all the way through grad school.
8. Work longer hours, at the same job or an additional job. Seems obvious but maybe it needs to get said.

As for saving money
1. cancel cable/satellite tv.
2. get the cheapest phone plan available. Smart phones are nice but they aren't always necessary.
3. eat simply and at home. A vegetarian diet is usually less expensive. beans and rice are cheap and reasonably healthy.
4. sell stuff you don't need

hikerboy57
01-21-2014, 19:42
just hike until your money runs out, make more money and go hike again.repeat.

Foresight
01-21-2014, 19:44
Plan your resupply points or towns you will be hitting. Spend the time between now and your hike contacting businesses and explain to them that you're looking for 1 day jobs where you can make $50 to resupply. Will you get one in every town? No, but every one you do get is a free resupply. And be prepared to work. Don't bellyache thinking the work you're doing is worth more than you're getting. Go above and beyond because they don't have to help you.

Mags
01-21-2014, 19:48

I know it is difficult, but perhaps waiting another year when you have more funds for both the hike AND post hike. Save money, live frugally and have a great hike in 2015.

Other options:

Perhaps take advantage of the extra time and save up some money for a SoBo hike if that works
A thru-hike of the AT is nice, but it is not the only experience that is rewarding. Work trail crew for a bit. Some pay a small stipend. You get to work outdoors in a cool place, give back and have a wonderful experience. At the end of the summer, hike something like the Long Trail, the Benton MacKaye Trail of the Allegeny Trail..or all three. ~900 miles of hiking right there.
Do a section hike.

You have multiple options. Hiking the AT NoBo in April may not be the best one for you right now.

Good luck.

hobby
01-21-2014, 20:00
fresh out of college? waiting tables & bar-tending? ...... What was your major?

takethisbread
01-21-2014, 20:05
Don't expect others to pay for your vacation. You are an adult now.

pretty funny. thanks for the laugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aficion
01-21-2014, 20:10
One possibility if you are determined to go this year would be to go ahead and lose your overhead expenses by April. With no rent or utilities you could save faster and leave in May. If you can survive out of a backpack you already have the skills you need to count yourself among the homeless by choice for a month or so before you quit your jobs. A college town like Boone is a perfect place to pull this off. Crash on friends couches, camp out, shower in dorms or gyms, etc. It can be done if you want it bad enough. If not, put it off a year, get out for a few long sections, and enjoy yourself.

You will find much real help here so long as you are not a complete bum. We appreciate your kind of spunk.

HikerMom58
01-21-2014, 20:20

Hands down WINNING POST!! Some others are pretty good too!! :)

Starchild is a close second BEST post! I agree with you on the vacation part as well, Starchild. It's not that for everyone! It may be for her but who's to say that for sure. No one.

Starchild
01-21-2014, 20:22
Follow your dreams and your heart, trust that they will not lead you astray, don't let naysayers get you down - they are just trying to get you to hike your hike by their rules - you hike is what you make of it - this includes it's purpose and the source of it's funding. A popular saying here is HYOH (Hike Your Own Hike), make of it what you will. Don't take their word for it that your hike is a vacation, only you can define that, then you can decide on what types of funding is needed and acceptable.

Some help is available actually lots of it, though nothing that I am aware of is official (there is no AT thru-hike fund), but if you seek it and you are made to do this hike, it will be provided for you in almost magical ways.

Good Luck

jimmyjam
01-21-2014, 20:33
Ummm save your money and do it next year or the year after, heck you're young and the trail will be there.

Teacher & Snacktime
01-21-2014, 20:34
I think that Warren Doyle's 2015 group hike is costing each hiker a donation of $1500. If they can thru hike w/ slackpack support for that amount, which includes one night in town out of 7, there must be some way to do it on your own for a similar amount. Why not contact Warren for advice? He can be found on facebook, and on his own site.

ChinMusic
01-21-2014, 20:46
HYOH and PFYOK

MuddyWaters
01-21-2014, 20:54
get yourself fired, and collect unemployment. Put in applications in each town you pass thru.

max patch
01-21-2014, 20:57
I think that Warren Doyle's 2015 group hike is costing each hiker a donation of $1500. If they can thru hike w/ slackpack support for that amount, which includes one night in town out of 7, there must be some way to do it on your own for a similar amount. Why not contact Warren for advice? He can be found on facebook, and on his own site.

I believe that only covers the cost of the van and some of the campgrounds that the group will stay at. (Which is reasonable if one is in to that kind of hike.)

I believe the participants are responsible for all other costs; food, restaurant meals, hotels, gear replacement, etc etc etc.

HYOH. Don't hike Doyle's hike.

HikerMom58
01-21-2014, 21:02
Not even an honorable mention for the honey bun? Now I'm depressed. I hope you're happy.

Aww... do you need a hug? ha ha!! :) Now decode Chin Music's PFYOK - Pay for your own K? or did he mean V :D

I liked the honey bun comment! :>)

Foresight
01-21-2014, 21:10
I do.....lol

As for the PFYOK, maybe it was a haiku in progress :D

PFYOK
E***DTM?
IDK,DY?

Foresight
01-21-2014, 21:10
Dadgummit.......hahahahahahaha!!!

Nyte
01-21-2014, 21:58
Wow, you all know how to make someone feel unwelcome, don't you? Anyone look up the deffinition of sponsorship? How it's a contract of mutually beneficient terms, not a hand out? Anyone pay attention to life coaching of late, how inquiring into crowdfunding, sponsorship and the like is something recommended to those who seek to fund any and every endeavor?

I am not saying that every response here was, but the vast majority were pretentious, precocious, judgmental, rude, and downright crappy. Person asked a question, maybe it wasn't worded exactly as you would have liked to garner your advice, maybe it struck you as someone asking for a handout. Does that excuse in the least lashing out? I thought the point of this forum as to provide encouragement, help, advice and share tips, not be a backpacking 4chan and flame people who are looking to learn.

No one even asked how much the OP has saved, and plans to have at their current rate; perhaps it's just a freak out, and some rational answers would calm those fears. Yes, the OP asked if there was a known source for sponsorship or crowdfunding, but I didn't see them ask any of you for a handout of any resources. Yet you attacked as though your stash of titanium was threatened by some menacing figure.

So many of you flaunt "HYOH" like some mantra, yet you look down on those who look to experience the AT on a tighter budget than you presume is prudent. You deride and mock a new forum member for asking a question. Shame on you who did that. Seriously, this is sickening.

aficion
01-21-2014, 22:02
Aww... do you need a hug? ha ha!! :) Now decode Chin Music's PFYOK - Pay for your own K? or did he mean V :D

I'm thinkin "pay for your own keep" but perhaps it means "please forgive...you are kool."

ChinMusic
01-21-2014, 22:05

I meant PFYOH, but V would work just as well.

I just ain't payin' for the privilege of making edits.

aficion
01-21-2014, 22:05
Nah .

Meriadoc
01-21-2014, 22:20
I have become increasingly worried about not having enough money for my thru-hike in April. I'm just out of college, I wait tables and bartend, but also have a lot of bills to pay. . . . I'm struggling to save money (I'm not spending, my rent is high and tips are slow) and am extremely worried about not having $3-4,000 by mid April.

Are you coming out with student loans? Consider lowering the monthly payment to the minimum. If they are federal loans then you should be able to lower them to the minimum now and still pay at an increased rate later.
Lower your rent as much as possible pronto. Living with family or for a little rent with friends for a few months would save you a bundle.
Check for cell phone and other bills to get rid of or downgrade service.

Another vote for a winning post :).
Consider going out for a short hike this year.

Wow, you all know how to make someone feel unwelcome, don't you? Anyone look up the deffinition of sponsorship? How it's a contract of mutually beneficient terms, not a hand out? Anyone pay attention to life coaching of late, how inquiring into crowdfunding, sponsorship and the like is something recommended to those who seek to fund any and every endeavor?

I am not saying that every response here was, but the vast majority were pretentious, precocious, judgmental, rude, and downright crappy. Person asked a question, maybe it wasn't worded exactly as you would have liked to garner your advice, maybe it struck you as someone asking for a handout. Does that excuse in the least lashing out? I thought the point of this forum as to provide encouragement, help, advice and share tips, not be a backpacking 4chan and flame people who are looking to learn.

No one even asked how much the OP has saved, and plans to have at their current rate; perhaps it's just a freak out, and some rational answers would calm those fears. Yes, the OP asked if there was a known source for sponsorship or crowdfunding, but I didn't see them ask any of you for a handout of any resources. Yet you attacked as though your stash of titanium was threatened by some menacing figure.

So many of you flaunt "HYOH" like some mantra, yet you look down on those who look to experience the AT on a tighter budget than you presume is prudent. You deride and mock a new forum member for asking a question. Shame on you who did that. Seriously, this is sickening.

Also well said! We have lots of jaded responses because these questions come up so often. But that's no reason to be unkind. And yes, folks should pay their own way. (Although I think we would have a much better society if everyone went on at least a two week hike. I'd contribute to that fund happily!)

So,
What have you saved?
What do you expect to have?
What is your plan?
Do you have all of your gear?
Can you delay a little and do a SOBO hike instead? Or maybe a flip-flop.
Does it have to be this year?
What happens after the hike?

Finally, welcome to WB! :) Hope to see you on the trail sometime!

hikerboy57
01-21-2014, 22:22

after injury, money is the main reason people dont finish. most thru hikers worry about money. its normal. but the reality is you either find a way to make it work,or go home. i havent found this thread to be particularly rude. your gonna get that natural knee jerk reaction to someone asking to help fund a hike. we'd all like that help.there were also some very useful suggestions. she could earn as she goes, or she can just hike until her money runs out, find more work, and hike some more or she can postpone her hike and earn a bit more before she starts.
i agree,however with chin and malto, it is a vacation. most of us would love a 4 or 5 or 6 month escape from reality to "discover"ourselves.its a great personal achievement,no doubt, but still...

HikerMom58
01-21-2014, 22:25

What to do about it?

I'm glad you spoke up, Nyte. You are a new member so it's good to hear how you feel about it.

As I was reading the comments come in, it reminded me of a bunch of sharks coming in for "bite". Believe me, I've been on the receiving end of this before.

She will prob. never be back here again. This is the huge negative impression that she will take away with her of WB. She'll tell others about what happened to her here.

This is so hard for me as I have formed friendships with so many that commented on here. I do agree with you!

I do understand how "we" can feel like so many people are looking for a hand out to hike the AT. But, even if that's the motivation, (which I don't know that was the case here) there are wayyy better ways to respond to someone that may feel that is acceptable.

She apologized for coming across like that she was asking for a hand out ... I'm sick about it! :(

ChinMusic
01-21-2014, 22:35
I do understand how "we" can feel like so many people are looking for a hand out to hike the AT. But, even if that's the motivation, (which I don't know that was the case here) there are wayyy better ways to respond to someone that may feel that is acceptable.

HM - I just get to the point.

Slo-go'en
01-21-2014, 22:36
No money/No hike does seem to be a pretty common problem. I'd hate to be a youngster these days with the kind of debt one has to be incurred to get an education, only to find out there really aren't any jobs out there to pay it off. It really is a sad state of affairs.

First off, going farther into debt for a thru hike is a really bad idea. If you don't have the cash, don't do it. Since you have high rent and a lot of bills to pay, then you need to find a cheaper place to live and start paying off the bills. Cut your expenses, sell off junk you don't need, live like a pauper and save your pennies. In another year or two when you got the cash and some reservers, then go for a hike. If you can't make that kind of sacrifice, you probably shouldn't be doing a thru hike anyway.

T.S.Kobzol
01-21-2014, 22:42
Just attach yourself to sugar daddy weirdos. According to previous thread there are many abandoned weirdos on he trail that all the women hikers shunned :P

Sent from my vivid imagination and delusions of grandeur

aficion
01-21-2014, 22:43
For all the drama in these responses, there are some good suggestions here. Sift through them and make decisions right for you. Don't be so thin skinned that you don't stick around and glean what you can from WB. If you are strong enough to thru hike, some of the more obtuse comments will roll off like water from a duck's back. Plenty of good folks with lots of experience here. Don't be easily put off.

leaftye
01-21-2014, 23:44
4. Donate your eggs.

I was going to suggest plasma and roommate, but there are sill more options to suggest.

6. babysit / pet sit. Babysitting often comes with a free meal.
7. fresh out of college? Perhaps there is a subject you can tutor. I tutored all the way through grad school.
8. Work longer hours, at the same job or an additional job. Seems obvious but maybe it needs to get said.

As for saving money
1. cancel cable/satellite tv.
2. get the cheapest phone plan available. Smart phones are nice but they aren't always necessary.
3. eat simply and at home. A vegetarian diet is usually less expensive. beans and rice are cheap and reasonably healthy.
4. sell stuff you don't need

Good suggestions. I'll repost these in their entirety in hopes that they're used.

I like #7. Good students can and should tutor. It really helps with an understanding of the material for both parties. The core sciences, typically math and chemistry, have lots of need for tutors. I've done it, and made some money, but stopped because I let it stress me out. It'd be better if I cared less. I've led many study groups for free, although I'm sure I could have made money. I bet I could have made a lot of money off of my notes if I wished, but I was happy enough profiting off textbooks.

One other option is to sign up for a temp agency and contact them frequently about quick jobs that only last a few hours.

HikerMom58
01-22-2014, 00:19
HM - I just get to the point.

Chin. I know you well. I like you a lot. I always will. Nothing will ever change that. :) I know that's how you roll.

Slo- the detective! :O)

Dogwood
01-22-2014, 00:47

Are you kidding? No!, do not do that! So, that's it??? Because someone didn't immediately ask you for your address and name to send ya a fat hiking check, that's it??? Are you going to let that sharp, AND REALISTIC TALK, shared by others take you off you're AT thru-hiking goal that easily??? If you are willing to listen to advice on how to do an AT thru-hike on a tight tight budget you came to the right place. If you're looking for ways to make hiking money you came to the right place. If you're seeking ways to complete the AT you came to the right place! There are umpteen posts on WB that can help/offer options in this financial area.

You made a post asking about funding and sponsorship for thru-hiking the AT. It DOES NOT exist in buckets and buckets and around every corner but you MIGHT MIGHT be able to get SOME assistance in the form of a stipend or simple gear sponsorships. It tends to be a long long shot though! How hungry are you? How far are you willing to go to hike the AT? How truly willing are you to take advice? What steps are you willing to pursue RIGHT NOW RIGHT NOW that WILL move you closer towards your goal? Open up your creative mind. Look around. You have options!!! SOME are being offered right here right now on your thread. Crybaby Entertainment(No pun intended) is seeking thru-hikers right now here through WB. How about contacting them for starters. How about checking into college/universities that offer SMALL stipends and college credit in exchange for documenting/journaling your hike? Be creative! THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX. I've seen about a dozen hikers do that from various educational institutions(two hikers that did it through App St right where you live!). Amazing! How can you make your hike more appealing to others? How about starting by showing some more enthusiasm, creativity, commitment, willingness to explore options, offering feedback, etc.

Get out of the mindset that sponsorship, hiking money, hiking gear, etc is all going to drop at your feet easily for the asking. it's not likely to happen anyway. Whenever you go that route, wanting something from others, it's wise to understand and address to those you are seeking something from how they will benefit from them providing these things; it very much, like it not, disagree with it or not, comes to you selling yourself AND your ideas AND offering to others something in return. Attempt to EARN your ability to attempt an AT thru-hike/hike and watch how much more help you get! It begins though in what you are willing to do for yourself.

Take steps forward. Wish you the best. :)

Welcome to WB.

Dogwood
01-22-2014, 01:00
"MoonPie", a pretty cool female PCTer, got a small stipend and regular cases of MoonPies mailed to help her on the PCT. She probably was well off enough that she didn't absolutely need the sponsorship but dam every little bit can help on a 2700 mile foot journey. It was fun when she was opening up those cases and handing out MoonPies for MoonPie publicity. To this day, everytime I see Moon Pies in a grocery store I think of her and handing them out on the PCT. So, I suppose the manufacturer of MoonPies did get some publicity.

MDSection12
01-22-2014, 01:31
Funny how some have expressed that we should focus on the intent of the OP rather than the wording... Yet seem pretty focused on the wording of the responses.

It had to be said. The OP sounded pretty darn entitled. Maybe the TS needed to hear that; it will certainly help their ability to raise funds if they watch their wording and avoid sounding entitled.

Best of luck, Christie. I hope you get your hike, but I hope you get it when you've earned it. I probably will never earn a thru, but I can earn a weekend once a month and that's good enough for me. For now. :)

4eyedbuzzard
01-22-2014, 02:29
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etuT5KKdA68

With apologies to the OP for some fun at her expense.

xMagnolia
01-22-2014, 09:21
I followed the 2013 hike of @BackpackingAT on Twitter & FB with usually daily photos uploaded via a sponsored phone & account. He reported using that media to get publicity, report and review gear, got free repairs or donated supplies in exchange, but he worked for them by marketing the brands to his followers. I don't think he had thousands of dollars in big name sponsors, but when his poles broke, a cute story got them fixed and a few boxes of bars can always help your budget. It may have been more, but that's what I remember from his stories.

Coffee
01-22-2014, 10:58
So the OP apologized for appearing to ask for handouts and people keep piling on? The ugly side of WhiteBlaze strikes again.

tarditi
01-22-2014, 11:05
I agree with the sentiment - life the best life you can afford, but there are several who have come up with creative ways to try to finance their endeavors - writing blogs, books, photo/video docu-journalism, etc. Some have even tried to raise funds on kickstarter or other crowd-sourcing sites.

Personally, I have a family and other obligations, and can't leave my job to go pursue some of my dreams so I do what I can. I've teamed up with a good buddy and we both do a section a year. We might not finish the AT in our lifetimes, but we have fun, don't stress over it, and hike our own hikes. You don't need to journey 2000 miles to discover yourself or enjoy the natural world.

Pedaling Fool
01-22-2014, 11:08
A lot of people type out their pack list for others to review and recommend changes. Maybe those who are concerned with money should list all their expenses, i.e. monthly budget, so we can review and "tear it apart". You can't fix a problem when you don't know what the problem is.

Do you smoke? Do you drive a car?...everyone has vices, what are yours?

illabelle
01-22-2014, 11:10
thought maybe we could wrap up this discussion with some rude cat pictures:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS61h8WITwGD1Vl2VQuYIx8dQKkJJvzJ oC7ouzQlehbgeBLvDPjcghttp://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsiQUYqEqCjkDBlMp255S3IAwGkYY9Z oClxnUVubcBcl5eRQey0Ahttps://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT49QT4ChEfaHCZR2x1eM2saD9X1J6cI WxF4e0DoW-ePkHUXQ_WQQ

Pedaling Fool
01-22-2014, 11:13
"MoonPie", a pretty cool female PCTer, got a small stipend and regular cases of MoonPies mailed to help her on the PCT. She probably was well off enough that she didn't absolutely need the sponsorship but dam every little bit can help on a 2700 mile foot journey. It was fun when she was opening up those cases and handing out MoonPies for MoonPie publicity. To this day, everytime I see Moon Pies in a grocery store I think of her and handing them out on the PCT. So, I suppose the manufacturer of MoonPies did get some publicity.
Wait a minute...I met this girl on the AT (2006 or 2007??) and she told me the same story of how she got her trail name hiking on the AT (not PCT):-?

She also told me her giardia story...but I don't want to retell it since I'm getting ready to eat:)

snail2010
01-22-2014, 11:14
A thru is pretty much an on your own thing. Most folks make some type of sacrifice to do it and don't care for other hikers who hit the trail knowingly under financed and looking for hand outs so be sure you have what you need money wise before jumping on the AT. At the very least, have money to get yourself back home when the trail money runs out.

MDSection12
01-22-2014, 11:21
She also told me her giardia story...but I don't want to retell it since I'm getting ready to eat:)
Sure it wasn't all the moon pies?

Tuckahoe
01-22-2014, 11:26
The ugly side of WB? Some "I take offense" meters really need to get checked and recalibrated. There is not a rude or out of line post in this thread, though a few with a healthy dose of reality check.

Coffee
01-22-2014, 11:29
The ugly side of WB? Some "I take offense" meters really need to get checked and recalibrated. There is not a rude or out of line post in this thread, though a few with a healthy dose of reality check.

Continuing to pile on about the OP wanting free stuff after she apologized is rude as far as I'm concerned and at least as offensive as someone seeking free stuff to begin with. And I say that as someone who is entirely opposed to the idea of seeking free stuff to finance my vacations.

HikerMom58
01-22-2014, 11:47
Continuing to pile on about the OP wanting free stuff after she apologized is rude as far as I'm concerned and at least as offensive as someone seeking free stuff to begin with. And I say that as someone who is entirely opposed to the idea of seeking free stuff to finance my vacations.

I agree with you. I'm opposed as well.

Some people got it, some people don't.....

Tact: 1. Acute sensitivity to what is proper and appropriate in dealing with others, including the ability to speak or act without offending.

You can tell by reading her comments that she is clearly blown away by the responses. What a way to welcome new members, right?

It's not right. People can excuse away their own behaviors all they want too. I do it myself, I should know. WELCOME to the human race!

MDSection12
01-22-2014, 11:55
She got a lot of really good ideas, including some from people who also felt the need to show their distaste for her original post... This knife cuts both ways; people 'piling on' aren't helpful but neither are the 'rude police' coming in every three posts to chastise.

This thread has run its course for her, I'd guess. I think it's just us having the usual WB discussion now.

max patch
01-22-2014, 11:58
She's new. She apologized. That should have been the end of it.

She will certainly think twice before asking this group of jackals another question.

RED-DOG
01-22-2014, 12:03
Don't worry about it CB you are still young if you can't do it this year their will be plenty of time later in life when you do have the Funds, it took me about 5 years to save up for my first thru, so don't worry about it. and i have done three thru's so far.

HikerMom58
01-22-2014, 12:52
She got a lot of really good ideas, including some from people who also felt the need to show their distaste for her original post... This knife cuts both ways; people 'piling on' aren't helpful but neither are the 'rude police' coming in every three posts to chastise.

This thread has run its course for her, I'd guess. I think it's just us having the usual WB discussion now.

It's all just being a part of the "family", MD.

No one said a word about Illabelle's cute cat post... I like it! :D

tiptoe
01-22-2014, 13:08
The OP didn't come here for abuse, and that reminded me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDjCqjzbvJY

Let's keep things in perspective.

Dogwood
01-22-2014, 13:33
Wait a minute...I met this girl on the AT (2006 or 2007??) and she told me the same story of how she got her trail name hiking on the AT (not PCT):-?

That's her PF. She did the AT in, I think 07. She was on the PCT in 08.

Alligator
01-22-2014, 13:37
All right folks, the OP did apologize so that would be a good time to stop piling on and quiet the outrage. If you can't help yourself, there's always the thread ignore feature. There are specific issues that people get fired up about that when a noob comes along and asks a question they get dumped on for it. Some people are just thinking out loud when they ask a question. They may not have been actively reading WB from time immortal to know that it's a hot button topic or that lengthy consideration has proven the idea unsound. At least give the person a break if they give an apology.

I was going to close the thread but some of the advice given was helpful. So move on past disagreeing about the delivery of advice and if you have something helpful to offer please do but keep in mind that she did apologize, so don't be rude about it.

Thanks.

Teacher & Snacktime
01-22-2014, 13:43
On behalf of all of us who hate to see these things get ugly, Thanks Gator.

Dogwood
01-22-2014, 13:49
This is heresy and sure to be met with hostile objections/excuses to suggest such a substandard non status quo way of living in the U.S. but I have saved quite a bit of money(easily several $1000's in the past 5 yrs alone) and an enormous amount of time(that is spent learning and working(more hiking $) and doing other more meaningful things, ) by killing my TV. Sometimes on the computer too long though. I haven't owned a TV or cable/dish subscription in almost 10 yrs. Think about how much more time and how much more in control of your focus/beliefs/thoughts you will have simply by removing TV ads from your life?

And, even though I own a motor vehicle I instead opt for walking, public transportation, and bicycling more than driving which is primarily used for work. Yes, this costs me more time and is less convenient sometimes but the money I save from not driving the PU is put to convenient use on hikes. If you want to find money to hike you find a way. I so enjoy the other benefits as well.

Dogwood
01-22-2014, 13:50
I liked the cat pics Illabelle.

illabelle
01-22-2014, 13:56
It's all just being a part of the "family", MD.

No one said a word about Illabelle's cute cat post... I like it! :D

It was an attempt to bring out the usual jokesters and divert discussion away from the OP. Didn't work too well, but I'm glad you liked the pictures!

I sent CB a PM. Most of the posts on the thread have been supportive, even if some don't express themselves in the same way I would. I hope she'll come back and see that. WB is a good place. Wish I had more time for it...

illabelle
01-22-2014, 13:57
I liked the cat pics Illabelle.

Awww. Thanks!:D

Teacher & Snacktime
01-22-2014, 14:00
Funny, illabelle....I did the same thing (PM).....great minds think alike....and so do ours.

sadlowskiadam
01-22-2014, 14:10
Rather than starting a NOBO thru hike in April, why not put off the hike until the middle of June and do a southbound hike instead? This will give you an additional 2 months to save cash, while still being able to thru hike this year. If you are still determined to do a NOBO hike, then I suggest delaying your thru hike until 2015 to save the necessary money. You are young, and you have the time, so a one year delay should not be a big deal. Regardless, I would make sure you have enough $$$ before setting out on a thru hike. One of the worst experiences I had on my thru was having to see other hikers get off the trail because they saved too little $, spent too much $, or both. Best of luck,

- Counselor

4eyedbuzzard
01-22-2014, 14:12
To the OP, Christie Belle,

On a serious note. If one has to resort to "donating" (aka selling) their blood, plasma, eggs, etc., to finance a thru-hike as suggested in some of the posts here, I would seriously submit that they have gone a bit off the deep end. Bluntly, at such a point, one simply cannot afford a 6 month "adventure vacation". Some will argue against my point of view, so be it.

The chances of sponsorship for anyone without a "hiking resume" getting any meaningful help are incredibly small. You could try fundraising sites like gofundme.com (there are 400+ hits on "appalachian trail" at that site right now), but typically the people who donate to other people's AT hikes there are just friends and family. Seriously, would you donate your hard earned money over the internet to some stranger's vacation?

Like most of us, you may have to simply take some shorter hikes while saving for your thru-hike. WB is a good place to commiserate with the 99% of hikers, who like you, are in a similar situation.

mak1277
01-22-2014, 14:14
All right folks, the OP did apologize so that would be a good time to stop piling on and quiet the outrage. If you can't help yourself, there's always the thread ignore feature. There are specific issues that people get fired up about that when a noob comes along and asks a question they get dumped on for it. Some people are just thinking out loud when they ask a question. They may not have been actively reading WB from time immortal to know that it's a hot button topic or that lengthy consideration has proven the idea unsound. At least give the person a break if they give an apology.

I was going to close the thread but some of the advice given was helpful. So move on past disagreeing about the delivery of advice and if you have something helpful to offer please do but keep in mind that she did apologize, so don't be rude about it.

Thanks.

I went back and re-read all the posts in the whole thread, and I fail to see any that I would classify as "rude" that were posted after the OP's apology. There were a few (mine included) that were chastising OP for asking for a handout, but those were before the clarification/apology. I think everything after that has been really civil, considering we're on the internet and it's the 2nd lowest form of human communication (after twitter).

hikerboy57
01-22-2014, 14:20
I went back and re-read all the posts in the whole thread, and I fail to see any that I would classify as "rude" that were posted after the OP's apology. There were a few (mine included) that were chastising OP for asking for a handout, but those were before the clarification/apology. I think everything after that has been really civil, considering we're on the internet and it's the 2nd lowest form of human communication (after twitter).
lately,there appears to be an urge to create drama where none exists

ChinMusic
01-22-2014, 14:22
Of course not. It is all group speak. You get 18 people complaining of "piling on" and there is an assume of fact that there was piling on.

flemdawg1
01-22-2014, 14:23
The OP didn't come here for abuse, and that reminded me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDjCqjzbvJY

Did too.

ChinMusic
01-22-2014, 14:24

If the moderators had read the thread they would know that OP wanted the thread killed. Let me help them.

max patch
01-22-2014, 14:27
after injury, money is the main reason people dont finish.

In my experience the overwhelming main reason people quit is they get tired of hiking. Yes, a few get hurt and a few run out of money, but most who quit just get sick of hiking.

hikerboy57
01-22-2014, 14:28
In my experience the overwhelming main reason people quit is they get tired of hiking. Yes, a few get hurt and a few run out of money, but most who quit just get sick of hiking.
in that case, the op will have plenty of money to make it to neels gap

ChinMusic
01-22-2014, 14:29

Not diminish the importance of money and good health, but I agree.

hikerboy57
01-22-2014, 14:29
i should have wrote "that prevents them from finishing."

HikerMom58
01-22-2014, 14:38

t take it personally. Just undersBut CM is right, don't expect others to fund your hike. In fact, be prepared for a chorus of people saying just that. Some of them might not be polite about it, but don'tand that this type of question comes up on a regular basis. Anytime there's a whiff of "entitlement", it's usually followed by a vigorous effort to snuff it out. You're still pretty new on WB, so we'll forgive you. Try to forgive us, too!

Illabelle calls it right there. She knows where this is going and she addresses it. So I call BS on saying someone is creating "drama" where there's none. She called it..... it happened!!

Posts #'s 20, 22, 29, 30 and 37 are rude or patronizing after the apology!! No one mentions the apology at all.

A NEW member on post # 42 calls the BS!!

ChinMusic
01-22-2014, 14:40
HM - rude posts? My goodness, that would eliminate nearly ALL threads.

4eyedbuzzard
01-22-2014, 14:42
In my experience the overwhelming main reason people quit is they get tired of hiking. Yes, a few get hurt and a few run out of money, but most who quit just get sick of hiking.Yep. That was my reason. Just wasn't enjoying it. After 500 miles I just got tired of hiking and wanted to do others things - and dare I admit it, return to my civilized life. I like section hiking, especially two to three days at a time on weekends, and there may be a LT thru-hike in my future, but that would be my limit, and I would only consider it because I would have great company (my daughter). For others, only a 2000 mile hike can satisfy their "wilderness experience". We are all different, and we all enjoy hiking in differing ways. But, had I not tried, I would not have discovered that.

Ender
01-22-2014, 14:42
Closing this thread, per OP request.

But seriously people, let's try and be a little nicer to new members? We don't all come in here knowing everything about hiking and thru hiking and trail etiquette. Inform, but don't be jerks about it. And when someone offers a sincere apology, let's take that at face value.