PDA

View Full Version : Other than purchase food sources?

Huli
01-21-2014, 19:46
We are planning a through hike in 2016. Food keeps being the biggest question. I did not come up with any search results that address the possibility of catching/trapping/fishing/scavenging.

Any info?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

mountain squid
01-21-2014, 20:08
I did not come up with any search results that address the possibility of catching/trapping/fishing/scavenging.Because it is not realistic. Not to say you can't do it, but after having spent all day hiking, it just isn't realistic to have to 'gather' food . . . check 'money' threads, this topic might pop-up in some of them . . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

bfayer
01-21-2014, 20:09
The AT is not wilderness. Other than blackberries in late summer and some other assorted edibles, wild food is not that plentiful along the trail (shelter mice excluded). Fishing may be an option up north if you have the time, but by then most folks are rushing to get to Maine.

By far the largest source of non purchased food are the trail feeds that seem to pop up more and more these days (if you stay with the bubble).

mountain squid
01-21-2014, 20:11
Oh yeah, http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs087.gif to WB!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

aficion
01-21-2014, 20:22
Plenty of food in the woods. Knowledge can be gained to survive in a given area for a time. Only a few have the knowledge to travel and subsist simultaneously. You are not likely to become one of them. Nor am I.

Huli
01-21-2014, 20:23
Because it is not realistic. Not to say you can't do it, but after having spent all day hiking, it just isn't realistic to have to 'gather' food . . . check 'money' threads, this topic might pop-up in some of them . . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

Thanks for the welcome!!

Forgot to mention we are planning Southbound. Leaving as soon as Katahdin opens.

Will look into that link.

Damn Yankee
01-21-2014, 20:25
Fishing is possible but for the most part you may need to leave trail. Also, licensing could be an issue and expensive. The regs. on native brook trout in most areas is 9" or above to keep and they are few and far between. You may be able to get a squirrel or two if you bring a sling shot but, I would not want to have to count on this other than supplemental food. Supermarket foods are cheap enough.

jimmyjam
01-21-2014, 20:25
Blueberries, blackberries, mushrooms, and ramps are all I know of that you might find along the trail.

Huli
01-21-2014, 20:27
Plenty of food in the woods. Knowledge can be gained to survive in a given area for a time. Only a few have the knowledge to travel and subsist simultaneously. You are not likely to become one of them. Nor am I.

True.

Not looking to sole scavenge. More like a supplement. I have scrounged around Maine and Maryland. Only snack level though.

Tuckahoe
01-21-2014, 20:30
We are planning a through hike in 2016. Food keeps being the biggest question. I did not come up with any search results that address the possibility of catching/trapping/fishing/scavenging.

Any info?

Also keep in mind that hunting trapping and fishing involves licensing that will have higher fees for non-residents, as well as the fact that game seasons may not necessarily coincide with your hike. It may very well be cheaper to buy food than taking game in fish by legal means.

Panzer1
01-21-2014, 20:33
in order to do fishing legally, you would have to buy a fishing license in every state that you want to fish in.

Panzer

aficion
01-21-2014, 20:46
True.

Not looking to sole scavenge. More like a supplement. I have scrounged around Maine and Maryland. Only snack level though.

There are free fresh veggies all along the trail. Great source of vitamin A, C, minerals and fiber. Nettles.

kayak karl
01-21-2014, 21:06
Sling shots are illegal to carry in some states, illegal to hunt with in some and in some you need a permit to hunt, but in Missouri you can hunt with a slingshot. :)

Hill Ape
01-21-2014, 21:20
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=52478&c=513

what is it? is it edible? are there any look alikes?

there is a huge amount of knowledge required to scavenge. same with trapping, and are you willing to set trap lines, then wait until you catch something? 14 states, thats 28 licenses for out of state resident. thats alot of cash right there.

Slo-go'en
01-21-2014, 22:45
The bottom line is it isn't practical and isn't gonna happen. Count your self luckly if you come across some blueberries.

aficion
01-21-2014, 23:01
The bottom line is it isn't practical and isn't gonna happen. Count your self luckly if you come across some blueberries.

Au contraire....it happens all the time....nothin more practical than free food......and luck has nothing to do with it. You will not be able to use it exclusively on a long hike....but marginally, to supplement what you carry,.....absolutely. Been doing it all my life.

Gervais
01-21-2014, 23:27
Seems to fly in the face of "no impact" for an iconic trail like AT.

Huli
01-21-2014, 23:35
Also keep in mind that hunting trapping and fishing involves licensing that will have higher fees for non-residents, as well as the fact that game seasons may not necessarily coincide with your hike. It may very well be cheaper to buy food than taking game in fish by legal means.

Good point to consider.

I really cannot eat most freeze dried "camping" food. Guess I will just put my dehydrator on overdrive...lol

Toon
01-21-2014, 23:37
I don't think the op is worried about the legal approach. Maybe I'm wrong. Plan your hike to match the ripe season for berries. I have come real close to eating rattlesnake on the at more than once. Then decided I could hike 4 miles instead.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Huli
01-21-2014, 23:38
I don't think the op is worried about the legal approach. Maybe I'm wrong. Plan your hike to match the ripe season for berries. I have come real close to eating rattlesnake on the at more than once. Then decided I could hike 4 miles instead.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

I am glad somebody else suggested it. I was thinking snake and squirrel as possibilities.

Gervais
01-21-2014, 23:56
Why not?????

Good point to consider.

I really cannot eat most freeze dried "camping" food. Guess I will just put my dehydrator on overdrive...lol

Tuckahoe
01-22-2014, 00:30
Good point to consider.

I don't care for the large commercial freeze dried products as well. Check out Packit Gourmet at http://www.packitgourmet.com/. Pretty tasty dishes there.

Dogwood
01-22-2014, 01:23
Doing some legal scavenging to MINIMALLY SUPPLEMENT a thru-hiking diet is one thing but suggesting or prompting anyone to disobey laws governing trapping/fishing/ hunting is against WB User Agreements. Personally, if I witnessed someone knowingly illegally trapping/hunting/fishing, especially with the intention to do so while attempting to thru-hike, I would not complacently look the other way. I'd likely report their wanton illegal activities. If others have to abide by the trapping/hunting/fishing laws so do hikers or suffer the consequences. :)

Odd Man Out
01-22-2014, 01:29
These were from the trail by Bake Oven Knob, PA. Not enough to live on but yum!

MDSection12
01-22-2014, 01:46
I am glad somebody else suggested it. I was thinking snake and squirrel as possibilities.

Seriously? If you're just going to kill things stay at home.

Dogwood
01-22-2014, 04:36
... I was thinking snake and squirrel as possibilities....

Your comment right there tells me you haven't looked into this at all. Of the 14 states the AT travels through, off the top of my head(as having hunted in those states), I can name 7 of them that I know have seasonal squirrel hunting seasons. The closed seasons coincides with squirrel mating and raising young which is during typical SOBO AT thru-hike season. This hunting includes not only hunting/taking by firearms either. It's a CLOSED NO TAKING OF SQUIRRELS by any means(trapping, snaring, shooting, etc) usually between Mar/April and late Sept/Oct. Also taking even of plant matter, like ramps, more than a handful of berries, etc are illegal in both the Nat Parks the AT travels through. AND, definitely forget legally hunting and trapping in the Nat Parks during summer. And, if you think you'll get away with these activities illegally because you're in the woods or a hiker you might want to know authorities(NP Rangers, FS personnel, State Park authorities, Wildlife Conservation Officers, Fish&Game, other LEOS) in some areas, particularly in the mid-southern Atlantic states have been stepping up their efforts to stop these types of activities. Ginseng poaching has become a big time biz leading to the decimation of this root and destruction of habitat in these states so the LEOS are on the lookout for those doing that as well as taking other types of plant life(ramps, Brook lettuce(Saxifraga), orchids, ginger, sasparilla, Indian Cucumber, more than a handful of berries(blue, huck, straw, thimble, etc), mushrooms, etc. If they see you scavenging around or in possession of these types of things they are more inclined these days to fine people. Too many have been ignoring the laws and authorities have been stepping in to stop it.

Word to the wise.

fiddlehead
01-22-2014, 05:35
Seeing this post title, I immediately thought "troll"
But, I see the OP has commented a few times and just "might" be serious.

I grew up trapping and hunting and they take time.
If you are on a 3 year plan for a thru-hike, MAYBE you can find enough ramps, mushrooms, wild garlic etc to dress up your diet of mice.
But you're not going to be anywhere near hunting season until Oct so, get that dehydrator cranking.

bfayer
01-22-2014, 07:51
Good point to consider.

Most hikers do not eat freeze dried food anyway, so I think you are good to go :)

Ramen, tuna, bagged chicken, Knorr Sides, pitas, tortillas, instant rice, instant breakfast, etc., make up the majority of food I take hiking. That is also what I see other people with most of the time.

Not getting into the legalities of hunting and trapping on the tail, but think about this: If even 10% or so of the million plus hikers every year on the AT killed something for food on their hike, how much wildlife would be left for others to enjoy?

One of my goals when I go hiking is to leave the trail better than I found it. Not only for others, but for myself the next time I go hiking. I would rather leave wildlife along the trail for all to enjoy, than save the dollar or two it would cost me to buy the same amount of food by killing something on the trail.

I have no problem with hunting or trapping, the AT corridor is just not the place to do it IMHO.

Huli
01-22-2014, 08:12
Wow. I am quite surprised with some of the replies. Didn't expect condescending answers.

Anyway...

I don't eat processed food, I just refuse. I also believe that food found in nature is more natural than anything found at ANY store.

Not looking to be illegal, not a hunter, so I have never heard of a "squirrel season".

I am just looking to enjoy my hike with as little commercial dependency as possible.

Tuckahoe
01-22-2014, 09:12
Some folks come off as a bit intense <coughdogwoodcough>, but there are a few things working against you and your desire to be as natural as possible (whatever that is).

First there is the concept of Leave No Trace principle #4 -- Leave what you find. The ATC covers this pretty well at http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/hiking-basics/leave-no-trace-practices. Wildlife survives on foraging for food and should not have to compete with hikers passing through coming along and stripping away that food. Additionally local people also rely on foraged foods as well. They are local, why should they have to compete with a transient hiking horde? You will also find there is not just the ethics of LNT, but on National Park Services lands, it is illegal to remove vegetation.

With regards to hunting, trapping and fishing, it would aid you greatly to actually read up on the hunting and fishing regulations of the 14 states that the Appalachians Trail passes through.

Here are links to Virginia and Pennsylvania's regulations --
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=968783&mode=2

Understand the concept of "the King's game" and the reality that games animals belong to the state. You just cannot take them as you please just because they are there. You must take them both legally and ethically. And between fishing, trapping, small game and big game, that is somewhere between 14 and 56 licenses that would be required. To get those licenses your would also have to show that you have taken a hunter's safety course.

As you have also indicated you know nothing about taking game animals, how would you take them ethically and skillfully with as little suffering to the animal as possible?

As I already pointed out, you will find that hunting seasons may not coincide with your hike, which would make it difficult to legally hunt or trap, but you will find that you run a serious health risk hunting out of season --
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tularemia
http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/rabbit-hunting/tularemia-rabbit-fever

Have we even gotten into the various laws regulating the carry of hunting, trapping and fishing equipment?

You might not like to hear it, but you are a consumer, and even as a hiker you will have to rely on supplying from commercial sources. To do so otherwise is a myth.

BobTheBuilder
01-22-2014, 09:50
The posts above pretty clearly describe the legal reasons not to try this approach on a thru hike, but there are a couple of other reasons it won't work.

First, the LNT aspect is more than described above. What are you going to do with the head, skin, and guts of the squirrels and fish you catch? Throw them in the woods? Burn them in the fire ring? Pack them out? Where are you going to field dress your squirrels? On the picnic table at the shelter? There are lots of threads here about creepy people on the trail, and that kind of behavior would make you a star on those threads.

Second, the time required just doesn't work. Long-distance hiking is a job, like any other job, and you need to get up in the morning and go to work all day. Taking time out to gather plant life and hunt and clean wildlife while you are hiking makes no more sense than planning to leave an office building at lunch to kill and clean a squirrel in the city park.

Pedaling Fool
01-22-2014, 10:55
I don't eat processed food, I just refuse. I also believe that food found in nature is more natural than anything found at ANY store.

Not looking to be illegal, not a hunter, so I have never heard of a "squirrel season".

I am just looking to enjoy my hike with as little commercial dependency as possible.

So what do you eat if you don't eat processed foods?

The word "Natural" is not a well defined term; many believe fruits and veggies are natural, but that just isn't true, even if you grow them organically. You want to eat "naturally", then it probably be easier to eat insects; they are much easier to catch, don't really have to worry about laws (that I know of) and they are packed with protein and nutrients. But that's usually a little too natural for most. Also brush up on identification of edible plants, there are actually quite a few, but they won't be too flavorful, on the whole, but will give you more in the way of nutrients, but no real calories.

I basically agree with what everyone else has said, it just isn't feasible to hike and attempt to be a hunter/gatherer. However, I'd love to see someone attempt it. Just watch a few episodes of Les Stroud, it is very difficult to do and he isn't hiking all day, he basically just sets up a base camp, yet still he has major issues with surviving and he's an expert in survival tactics.

perdidochas
01-22-2014, 11:07
Good point to consider.

I have never been a thru-hiker, but from what I can read, most thru-hikers are eating grocery store type food, not freeze dried camping food. They are eating ramen, Knorr pasta sides, tuna, peanut butter, etc.

Joanie
01-22-2014, 12:00
Hi Huli,
I'm a section hiker, so this might not count for much, however here goes. As I walk, I scout for various plants to add to my soup or noodles or to make a salad. I crave the greens, and they are free. I don't defoliate any areas, just lightly pick from here and there. I've been using a book entitled Edible Wild Plants. It's added to my enjoyment of the whole outdoor experience. However, I know as a thru hiker there is a lot less time, so I think that is the reasons for the other posts. They are just being practical. Happy hiking!

MDSection12
01-22-2014, 12:03
Wow. I am quite surprised with some of the replies. Didn't expect condescending answers.
You made reference to killing snakes, in response to a post about eating rattlesnakes, on your hike. Do that in my area and you'll be killing a beautiful, and to some degree at risk animal. You didn't think that would stir up some emotions? If you had any respect for leave no trace ethics then you wouldn't even consider it... Not to mention the law.

flemdawg1
01-22-2014, 12:07

Anyway...

It is posible to eat more natural/clean on the trail. But you will have to carry more food weight and spend much longer cooking than the typical thru-hiker. You'll also be heavily dependent on maildrops as the small towns along the trail are unlikely to stock many natural, organic foods. Some examples of your choices are: quinoa, instant brown rice, pearled barley, beans, instant steel cut oats. Meat is more problematic (due to preservatives and nitrites), unless you stick exclusively to your own home dehydrated stuff. Very hard to find baked goods along the trail the don't have processed ingredients.

But as others have already pointed out, it is very dificult to find enough wild foods along the trail to subsist on. Occasionaly you may find some berry bushes, on even an apple tree (I've found 2 in TN, they are ripe in October), but not enough to live on and hike effectively.

rickb
01-22-2014, 12:39
Even Eustace Conway had trouble foraging for natural food on the AT. He had better success dumpster diving, which you might want to consider.

Here is an except from "The Last American Man" by Elizabeth Gilbert that relates to the AT and this discussion that I found on line at the Authors website.

"I use chain saws all the time to take care of my land. I use telephones. And plastic buckets. My God, but plastic buckets are great! I've made plenty of my own baskets and containers out of tree bark and grasses-I mean, I know how to do it and I've used those primitive means of hauling water around lots of time-but I tell you, there's nothing like a plastic bucket to get the job done faster. Wow! Plastic buckets! Glorious! I love 'em!"
"Do you have a toothbrush?"
"Not at the moment."
"Do you have a hairbrush?"
"I used to have a porcupine hairbrush. I don't have it anymore, though."
"What's a porcupine hairbrush?"
"A hairbrush made out of porcupine bristles."
"Where'd you get that?"
"A porcupine saved my life once when I was hiking on the Appalachian Trail, so I made the hairbrush out of its bristles, to honor it."
"How could a porcupine save your life?"
"By giving me something to eat when I was starving to death."
Here, there was an extended silence, as the kids tried to figure that one out. Then they all kind of said, "Ohhh . . ." at the same time, and the questioning continued.
"Why were you starving to death?"
"Because there wasn't any food."
"Why wasn't there any food?"
"Because it was winter."
"What's the longest you've ever gone without eating?"
"Probably the two weeks before I killed that porcupine."
"Can you show us your porcupine hairbrush?"
"I don't have it anymore. I brought it to a demonstration like this one, to show it to some kids your age, and somebody stole it. Can you imagine how sad that made me feel?"

Hikes in Rain
01-22-2014, 13:08
Surprised no one's said it before now, but the shelters are full of mice. Many of us would be happy for you to harvest some for your dinner. They're well fed and pretty natural. And there are recipes on the internet.

Slo-go'en
01-22-2014, 13:36

This is certinally a romantic notion. Too bad the reality is that it is completely impossible to do. Sure you can treat yourself to some berries once in a while or a few greens but not enough to live on and certianly not enough to hike on and definately not enough to count on as a viable and reliable food source.

If you want to eat natural foods, you'll have to go to the store and buy them just like everyone else. Or go live on a farm.

bfayer
01-22-2014, 16:03
Surprised no one's said it before now, but the shelters are full of mice. Many of us would be happy for you to harvest some for your dinner. They're well fed and pretty natural. And there are recipes on the internet.

You must have me on ignore then :) I mentioned the mice in my first post in the thread. I second your view that many folks would be eternally grateful if someone worked their way up the trail living off shelter mice.

wookinpanub
01-22-2014, 16:30
I don't really think it's feasible to rely on a steady source of scavenged/hunted/fished food, not if you want to make many miles. I won't even address the LNT implications, either. Having started southbound in early May, though, I can tell you that fiddleheads will be plentiful and are a nice addition to the diet. Strong knowledge of mushrooms would allow you to get some supplemental food, as well. In either case, I would forage away from the trail a little so that other hikers can enjoy the sight of these beauties. All in all, though, I don't think they can be relied on and should be looked at as the "gravy" on top of the instant potatoes.

Dogwood
01-22-2014, 16:58
There are related legal consequences and potential other issues that you weren't knowledgeable about with what you proposed. How is better informing you being condescending? You do want to do things in a legal fashion, do you not? If indeed you do want to avoid illegal activities how come you never specifically asked about any potential legal issues regarding what you proposed?

I will again ask what Pedaling Fool asked - "So what do you eat if you don't eat processed foods?"

Can you please explain your comment, "I also believe that food found in nature is more natural than anything found at ANY store. I'm finding it hard to equate that with you saying, "... I'm not a hunter, so I have never heard of a "squirrel season". And yet you want to catch, trap, hunt, and fish on an AT hike? AND, do so legally?

Can you also further define or give us this in other words? "I am just looking to enjoy my hike with as little commercial dependency as possible."

For example, to what degree are you seeking to avoid commercial dependency on the AT? If we better understand you're desires, motives, and situation in which you want to hike perhaps we can better offer some useful advice. :)

Hill Ape
01-22-2014, 17:17
in an effort to help you out, the picture i posted earlier, which you seem not to have researched... is a type of shelf mushroom called chicken of the woods, it is edible and there are no look alikes. it is about as safe a mushroom as you'll find out there. a relative that looks quite different is hen of the woods, it is also edible but there are poisonous look alikes

i'm sorry, i've read your posts, you simply don't have the depth of knowledge required to even come close to pulling off what you propose. be grateful for the blackberries, and leave everything else. you won't really be trapping, believe that.

i live in these hills. i have spent a lifetime learning plant id, and have hunted just about everything that moves around here. i was training cadre at NWTC where i taught city kids how to survive and succeed in this type of terrain. i have nearly a five acre garden that augments my grocery bill. i hunt deer from my porch.

i would never attempt what you are thinking about. if the trail were truly wilderness, what you are planning is suicide

Chair-man
01-22-2014, 17:48
in an effort to help you out, the picture i posted earlier, which you seem not to have researched... is a type of shelf mushroom called chicken of the woods, it is edible and there are no look alikes. it is about as safe a mushroom as you'll find out there. a relative that looks quite different is hen of the woods, it is also edible but there are poisonous look alikes

25665This is a photo I took on my recent Amicalola to Neels hike. I didn't know it was called Chicken of the Woods and I didn't know it was edible. Thanks for the info Hill Ape. I took the picture because it looked interesting with a very bright orange color. This stuff seemed to be everywhere. Does it really taste like chicken?

Hill Ape
01-22-2014, 18:11
doesn't everything taste like chicken? your picture is just a little past prime but still very edible, when the lobes turn upwards its on its way out... if you know where some is, remember that spot, it will grow back yearly, and spread each year. likes white oak trees. leave the base, trim the lobes away. if you feel it, you'll notice the base is more solid, as it ages that reaches out. you want to soft portion. fry it up in a pan with some olive oil

rickb
01-22-2014, 18:23
Other non-purchased food sources include "hiker boxes" at hostels, trail feeds, and the generosity of people you meet along the way.

Without commenting on the propriety of the next two examples, please also take note that the gentleman who has completed more AT thru hikes than anyone on earth was well known to eat leftovers from the plates of strangers at restaurants, and the only thru hiker to have is biography written by a word-famous author and star in a cable TV reality show was not above looking for urban discards either.

The are different ways to "hunt" and gather along the Trail.

Blue Mountain Edward
01-22-2014, 18:49
Dont let a NPS ranger see you picking plants, shrooms, ginsing, hunting or fishing. They will ticket you. I gather blueberries, blackberries, wood sorel, dandelion greens, wild onion, paw paw, apples, and crayfish if I have time to waste. Tried chicken of the woods mushroom once, another hiker picked it. I am not a knowledgable shroomer. It was tasty. When trying a new type of mushroom eat a very small amount because you may be allergic. Met Wildman the dirtbagging scooter carrying tatooed face hiker. He eats frogs and chipmunks. Almost all of my food comes from a store.

Hikes in Rain
01-22-2014, 20:06
You must have me on ignore then :) I mentioned the mice in my first post in the thread. I second your view that many folks would be eternally grateful if someone worked their way up the trail living off shelter mice.

Went back and looked, and yes, so you did! My apologies. :eek: I do know something of cooking mice, not that I ever have, but I've researched it because I want to be prepared should it ever come to that. I kind of like roasting them whole on tiny little skewers over a little fire. Roast pig in miniature.

Gervais
01-22-2014, 20:26
I've seen this movie before:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_McCandless

Huli
01-22-2014, 20:51
I am sorry I asked. I don't know why I thought I could get a simple, non accusatory solution.

I asked a question because I honestly didn't know and I get told I am stupid for asking. That I am ignorant of laws and ethics and ettiquite. Isn't that the point of asking in the first place? To solve ignorance? No, don't answer that. I am just going to read books and figure it out on my own because apparently I am not smart enough for the geniuses here.

Dogwood
01-22-2014, 20:58
A small game hunting license is even required to catch frogs and turtles on areas of the AT. And, there's a season for them too. Additionally, you may not harvest, take, or possess any(some) native snakes, lizards, reptiles or salamanders at any time on some lands like Wildlife Managment Areas. In a few eastern states that the AT is in where you can legally catch snakes there are regulations concerning that as well and some states require one to have a license for catching snakes(sometimes a fishing license). And, these laws can, and often do, change from state to state. In some areas like in NJ a license is required to collect fungi(mushrooms). Is the OP prepared to know what laws are to be legally abided by in what areas on the AT? Although, I doubt authorities are going to make any fuss about eating some nettles/wild mustard greens, blueberries, blackberries, thimbleberries, picking a few chanterelles/hen of the woods, etc and they aren't likely to catch you doing something illegal in some remote areas of the AT it becomes more complicated to do this legally than what folks may at first think! The AT isn't a Survivorman or Man verse Wild or Survival School Situation. The AT corridor is governed and managed by the NPS. I would contact them and the various states about specific laws if you're planning on catching/hunting/trapping/fishing regularly on the AT.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31339.html

Huli
01-22-2014, 21:01
Thanks Dogwood. That was pretty much exactly what I needed to know. I appreciate the straight answer.

bfayer
01-22-2014, 21:03
Huli, you seem to be ignoring all the straight forward answers that people given you. You may not have liked the answers, but that doesn't mean they were wrong.

Some folks are a little rough around the edges but you don't have to listen to their advice if you don't want to.

The fact is that trying to scavenge natural food along the AT is tough at best. If you can't or won't change your diet, hiking the AT will be a much greater challenge than it already is.

Tune out the people that rub you wrong, and stick around awhile, this place has a lot to offer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
01-22-2014, 21:04
I don't think anyone called you stupid for asking, everyone just said it wasn't possible and gave many reasons as to why. Now if your not going to listen to the voice of experiance and reason, that is stupid. So, do you want to hike or do you want to hunt for food? You can't do both.

Dogwood
01-22-2014, 21:26
Huli, just trying to help. I'm glad you got something you can use. Your'e new here so Welcome. I apologize if others or myself came off intense or harshly direct. That's often the way I am though. Try to understand Huli we get many posts here on WB each yr by those wishing to hike, hunt, fish, trap, scavenge, shoot their way up the AT, etc. Some of us, including myself at times, can get edgy trying to reach people with info who aren't as reasonable as you and simply seek to do what they want on their hikes disregarding laws, consequences to others who enjoy the outdoors, etc. Hang around. We'll learn something from each other. You'll see we aren't all jagoffs all the time. Got to watch out for that Dogwood character though. :D I hear he's a cyber bully. :D

BobTheBuilder
01-22-2014, 23:38
I am sorry I asked. I don't know why I thought I could get a simple, non accusatory solution.

I asked a question because I honestly didn't know and I get told I am stupid for asking. That I am ignorant of laws and ethics and ettiquite. Isn't that the point of asking in the first place? To solve ignorance? No, don't answer that. I am just going to read books and figure it out on my own because apparently I am not smart enough for the geniuses here.

I thought my post was pretty simple and non accusatory. Maybe you have never cleaned wild game, but it ain't the same as buying boneless chicken at Whole Foods.

4eyedbuzzard
01-23-2014, 03:24
Just an FYI:

In NJ possession of any slingshot is a 4th degree indictable crime (aka felony), punishable by up to $10,000 fine and 18 months in prison.
In NY possession of a WRIST BRACED slingshot is a 4th degree class A misdemeanor, punishable by up to $1000 fine and 1 year in prison.

I do not know the laws of other states, but they may be illegal elsewhere as well.

Not worth ruining your life over.

Chair-man
01-23-2014, 06:47
doesn't everything taste like chicken? your picture is just a little past prime but still very edible, when the lobes turn upwards its on its way out... if you know where some is, remember that spot, it will grow back yearly, and spread each year. likes white oak trees. leave the base, trim the lobes away. if you feel it, you'll notice the base is more solid, as it ages that reaches out. you want to soft portion. fry it up in a pan with some olive oil
The photo was taken the 1st week of October. Apparently it's somewhat seasonal growing more in the summer and fall than winter spring which explains why I saw so much of it. Thanks again. More info see it's scientific name here Laetiporus (https://www.google.com/#q=Laetiporus)

MDSection12
01-23-2014, 10:45
Just an FYI:

In NJ possession of any slingshot is a 4th degree indictable crime (aka felony), punishable by up to $10,000 fine and 18 months in prison.
In NY possession of a WRIST BRACED slingshot is a 4th degree class A misdemeanor, punishable by up to $1000 fine and 1 year in prison.

I do not know the laws of other states, but they may be illegal elsewhere as well.

Not worth ruining your life over.
Wow, they really do consider Dennis a menace!

Hill Ape
01-23-2014, 10:50
laetiporus sulfursomethingoranother, sulfur only because the underside is yellow, i dont believe they actually contain sulfur.

NPS regs

"""""The following fruits, nuts, berries, and fruiting bodies of mushrooms may be gathered by hand for personal use or consumption, in accordance with the noted size, quantity, collection sites and/or use or consumption restrictions. Commercial use is prohibited.
″Blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, grapes, and paw-paws – 1 gallon per person per day;
″Walnuts, hickory nuts, and buckeyes – 2 gallon per person per day;
″Mushrooms – 1 gallon per person per day;
″Non-native fruits – no limit.
"Any person gathering mushrooms will collect said mushrooms in a mesh sack, allowing for the distribution of spores throughout the forest as the person gathers more."

- NPS -""""
anyone shrooming anywhere, be extremely careful. one wives tale i follow, but am unsure how accurate it is. never eat a mushroom growing on a needle bearing tree. so no pines. also, simply for taste reasons, both chick and hen of the woods can get amazingly large, but are best eaten between baseball and soccerball size.

beefsteak mushrooms are edible when young, but later in its lifecycle can make you sick. don't risk it.

morels are great, but there are MANY poisonous look alikes. best to have hands on training

turkey tail is edible, but again there are look alikes. proceed with caution

look for ID books by Paul Stamets, he is considered "the man" in the field

mushrooming in national parks is LEGAL.

slingshots?! just wow

Mass and Rhode Island, illegal to possess. Pennsylvania illegal to hunt with. illegal in all national parks

odds of ever getting close enough to small game to take a kill shot, then to actually make the shot with a slingshot are astronomical.

the reality is, just about everything proposed in this thread is either outright illegal on the trail corridor, or an extreme violation of LNT ethics. its simply a bad idea all around. anyone on that side of the fence would do well to do a couple long shake downs, and see what its really like without the rose colored glasses. self imposed dietary restrictions is not a way to save money, it will actually cost more money in the long run. there is a reason most everything about thru hikers is the same, they've worked it out to a science, plenty of trial and error, plenty of letting the other guy fail and learning from the mistakes.

most successful thrus, do it just like everybody else