PDA

View Full Version : Magic

A/B
01-21-2014, 22:49
My thru hike starts in March. I have not yet stepped on the AT, yet I am in such a positive place that I could scream! Yes!

For all the crap going on in the world, I want to take a moment to suggest that when you deal with people here, mainstream, entrepreneurs, hikers, real people... There is hope for this country. I love these people!

Two quick stories.

- Ed "Cedar Tree" Hinnant. Great guy, developed the Packa, pack cover/parka combination. I think it is a great idea. I bought one, used it, talked to Cedar Tree several times, innovative. However, I recently bought a cuben pack from Zpacks, and decided not to take a pack cover. I decided to sell the Packa. Posted it here. My buyer questioned the size. Cedar Tree sees the thread, jumps in and offers to EXCHANGE MY USED Packa if it does not fit. Sold!

Now where do you see that in real life, other than here???

- I bought a 20 degree top quilt from Adam at Hammockgear. My first quilt, and I was a new hammocker. I asked about adding extra down, being the new guy. Adam said, no, should be fine, try it and we can fix it if you desire. 9 months later, last week, I decided after a few cool nights of hanging, that I wanted an extra 2 ounces of down. I call Adam. He says FREE. FREE shipping. Come on, ADAM! I want to keep you guys in business, and don't mind spending a few bucks to do it!!!

I am retiring from a large company, where you do your job, and go home at the end of the day. Bittersweet. I just find this hiking community stuff very refreshing, and I'm sure that there are thousands of similar stories out there, the trail magic, and more.

Just saying...

aficion
01-21-2014, 22:54
Well said. Thanks.

Happy44
01-21-2014, 23:11
do all that you can to help everyone you meet, any way you can, and you will get 10x in return and learn the true reason of living

4shot
01-22-2014, 08:59
Interesting post A/B. I met cedar tree during my thru and hiked with him for a few days. He was/is a great guy. I just ordered two quilts from Adam (I am going to try hammocks on my section hike this spring). I left the corporate gig at 50. Couldn't stand it. The people you meet in the hiking community are, for the most part, the polar opposite. "Give you the shirt off their back" type people. You will be blown away this spring with the people you meet (on the trail, in the towns, trail angels, etc.). Are there a few bad apples? Of course but they won't make it much past Damascus usually. Good luck and best wishes for your hike (and no, Virginia IS NOT flat no matter what you hear down South).

HikerMom58
01-22-2014, 09:17
Best of luck to you A/B! Thanks for sharing!! HAPPY HAPPY!! :banana

Ur new avatar, cute! Trail name... check :)

Cedar Tree is the BEST! He is the NICEST GUY EVER!

I'm diggin Happy44's comment!

Have a great day everyone!!

Teacher & Snacktime
01-22-2014, 10:24
Just wait, George...it's only the beginning. See that lady posting right above me? She'll be your savior in the Roanoke area. There are folks to meet in this community and all over that trail that will blow your mind away with their kindness, and generosity. It's a little of a culture shock for a RIer, but one of the most wonderful things Snacktime and I have ever experienced! See you for lunch next Wednesday, and we'll clue you in!

MDSection12
01-22-2014, 11:26
I have no experience with Cedar Tree, but I'm glad to hear it... I will be buying a Packa whenever I have some extra funds. ('Extra' funds are hard to come by). It's an incredible design. So simple, yet so perfect. :)

I can't wait to buy some quilts from Hammock Gear. Over on Hammock Forums Adam is well known for going the extra mile, and being a super nice guy in general. Here he is with my favorite YouTuber, Shug:

http://youtu.be/m97x85KxkvI