PDA

View Full Version : AT thru-hike 2007

Omarwannahike
09-04-2005, 12:20
Hello all,

I will be hiking the AT in 2007.
For the next year I will be loosing weight, trainging physically and gaining on the trail experience locally.

I look forward to reading the forums and hearing from anyone who is doing it then, planning it or just wants to talk.

Thank you,

MOWGLI
09-04-2005, 12:46
I look forward to reading the forums and hearing from anyone who is doing it then, planning it or just wants to talk.

Thank you,

Welcome! Where are you from in Jersey?

eyewall
09-04-2005, 20:21
I'm planning a thru-hike as well in 2007. So 2006 will be a conditioning year, and my last year of full-time work...

HappyAppy
09-04-2005, 21:26
I am heading north bound in 07 as well. It will be fun to hear about everyone's pre-hike progress. Hip Hip.

kyerger
09-05-2005, 08:30
I am planning a flip flop in 2006. I will start in SNP(Waynesburo) on june 4 2006. It is weird how time flies the closer it gets. Your time to leave will be here fast. Good luck in every thing. It will be the trip of a lifetime.

HappyAppy
09-05-2005, 10:55
Hello to all! You are right about time flying! The older I get the faster things fly by and I know 2007 will be here in a blink. One thing I noticed about the 4 posts-our ages! The youngest is 30
! I wonder if that is a trend or we are just early planners because we are older and it may be harder to take a 6 month hiatus from life? I am very encouraged to see that I will be among folks my age as well as younger and older folks! It is amazing the pulll the the AT has. The more I do short hikes the "readier" I am to do the big one!
Hip Hip to all!
Marion :-)

Auntie Mame
09-15-2005, 13:43
Yet another pair of mid-fifties, Tom and I will be heading out NOBO on AT March 27, '07. Started trailjournal on that website, see Balrog and Taj for '07. Wonderful to hear from others who might be part of the crew that year. Lots of energy came up when the decision got made, which signals a good choice, as I see it. Good thread!

Auntie Mame
09-15-2005, 13:45
P.S. Trying to figure a way to do a little knitting somewhere along the trail! 3" needles? Doll socks?!

Icicle
09-16-2005, 12:04
P.S. Trying to figure a way to do a little knitting somewhere along the trail! 3" needles? Doll socks?!I met a thru hiker this year that knits at town stops and shelters, etc. I think it was Snowbunny...I thought it was GREAT! Of course I don't knit - I cross stitch - which would be a bit more difficult I think. :)

HappyAppy
09-21-2005, 21:07
Hey hikers!
I am a knitter, too, and I use circular needles. Solves a multitude of problems. I would love to think I might knit while on the trail, but I wonder if I would? Or would it "just be more weight to tote?" :-? HipHip to all!
Marion :-)

Red Hat
09-22-2005, 12:35
As both a knitter and a hiker, I don't recommend knitting on the trail. It would be unnecessary weight. Plus, you are pretty tired when you get to camp, and just want to eat and go to bed. Red Hat

Auntie Mame
09-23-2005, 21:29
That makes sense to me, probably best to save up the knitting urge for when I'm moping around because I'm NOT on the trail. I followed some of your adventures and read your name in others' journals, Red Hat. Nice to hear from you. All best.

Mike & Gloria Walsh
09-24-2005, 15:40
Yet another pair of mid-fifties, Tom and I will be heading out NOBO on AT March 27, '07. Started trailjournal on that website, see Balrog and Taj for '07. Wonderful to hear from others who might be part of the crew that year. Lots of energy came up when the decision got made, which signals a good choice, as I see it. Good thread!

Did you say you guys where in your mid fifty. Do you have a plan to get in good physical condition. Glo

HappyAppy
09-24-2005, 17:13
Hi!
Yes, I will be 52 in October. I am not in bad condition now but what I AM doing is day-hiking with an increasingly more heavy pack, breaking in my boots and field testing my equipment and tring to get pack weight down. I am also trying to walk a lot more at home. I live a mile from the grocery store, 2 miles from the place where my weekly girls cocktails group meets, etc. So--I am walking those places. I am on my second folding grocery cart!
What are you guys doing to get ready?
As an aside, I was driving clients around a few days ago (I sell real estate) and they were avid hikers. I told them I planned to thru hike and they both thought it was not that great an idea. They had heard that thru-hikers lose the "wonder of nature" etc in the quest to "get there" and in the monotony of the days. I was surprised because even when I day hike, I forget to look around becauseas I have become introspective, etc, but I still enjoy being outdoors, listening to the birds, looking at the foilage and especially listening and looking at creeks!
MArion :-):)

Mike & Gloria Walsh
09-24-2005, 20:18
My husband and I are marathon runners, work out at the local fitness center. We have sectioned hiked to Pearsburg. I can hardly wait to begin our thru hike.Do you guys have a trail name yet. We don't. Glo

AT2007
07-12-2006, 14:31
Good to hear all the fellow thru-hikers planning for 2007. I want to go sobo, but haven't made up my mind as of yet. Look forward to seeing you guys on the trail either way. my email is [email protected] if anyone wants to chat or just talk about whatever.

Grandma Dixie
07-12-2006, 14:48
I'm starting to think me and my buddy will be the youngest ones on the trail (17). Regardless of the huge age difference I look forward to meeting you all on the trail.