PDA

View Full Version : Winter Socks

WorldPeaceAndStuff
01-22-2014, 11:18
What's the best way to keep my toes warm in winter? I have Salewa Mountain Trainer Mid boots and Darn Tough half cushion socks and they aren't cutting it once temps get below 20f. Today it's 5f out and just getting snow off my car my big toes got super cold.

Do I need liner socks? I'm thinking the full cushion DTS might help but I'm not sure it will be enough. I tried a thin trouser sock for lining but that didn't help much. Or is 5f so cold only an insulated snow boot like a Sorel Caribou will work?

BuckeyeBill
01-22-2014, 12:28
I am using a sik iner sock with Darn Tough Hiking socks. If you add Bread Bags as a vapor barrier your feet will stay dry and warm.

BuckeyeBill
01-22-2014, 12:29
sik=silk.............

George
01-22-2014, 12:59
I do a lot of winter hiking, my conclusion - forget having warm or dry feet, it is a losing battle

at night, I use the zip off down jacket sleeves over my feet and they are warm by morning, just in time to go into the frozen shoes

msupple
01-22-2014, 13:10
I love my Darn Tough full cushions in winter and yes I do think they make a difference.

Teacher & Snacktime
01-22-2014, 13:15
Last weekend I hiked in the snow wearing a pair of Cabot & Sons 80% merino cushioned hiking socks under a pair of inexpensive fleece socks....all in my Merrill Moad Mids. My toes were warm and dry and comfy the entire time. It was an accidental pairing that I will use again!

WorldPeaceAndStuff
01-22-2014, 17:15
I'm going to give the full cushions a try. Winter has been super cold here. Fri we're looking at daytime high of 17f and low below zero at 3k feet. Windchills even lower. I'm hiking around 4k feet or so.