PDA

View Full Version : Best guidebooks for the southern Appalachians? (GA/SC/NC/TN/southern VA)

DSettahr
01-22-2014, 16:28
Mods: My apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong spot. I couldn't find a good forum to put it in- feel free to move it if appropriate.

I'm going to be heading down to Georgia from NY for a job in February, and I'd like to do some sight seeing along the way. What are the best hiking guidebooks for the southern Appalachians- basically the stretch from North Georgia, through Tennessee and North Carolina, up into southwest Virginia (including the Jefferson National Forest)?

I've already purchased the AT Guidebooks and maps for this region, but I'm wondering if there are guidebooks out there for any of the national forests along this stretch that are more complete, with trails away from the AT corridor. I tend to favor guidebooks that are complete in that they detail all trails within a region, rather than "50 hikes" types of books that just detail suggested itineraries.

Thanks in advance.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for "must see" backcountry destinations anywhere in this region, feel free to suggest those as well. I'd be up for anything ranging from a day hike to a 2 to 3 night, 20-30 mile trip along the way.

Also, what conditions from Mt. Rogers south am I likely to encounter? Being from northeast, I have appropriate winter experience and gear, if necessary.

wookinpanub
01-22-2014, 16:35
In the Smokies, you need the little brown book "Hiking Guide to the Smokies" (I think that's the name). It's a must-have for the GSMNP. Otherwise, look for guides by Tim Homan or Johnny Molloy. I find them to be helpful.

DSettahr
01-22-2014, 16:38
In the Smokies, you need the little brown book "Hiking Guide to the Smokies" (I think that's the name). It's a must-have for the GSMNP. Otherwise, look for guides by Tim Homan or Johnny Molloy. I find them to be helpful.

Is this the one? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0937207152/

wookinpanub
01-22-2014, 16:45
As far as conditions go, a lot will depend on elevation. The AT ridgeline in the Smokies can be dicey and generally (I find) anything above 4,000 ft seems to exhibit the most volatility in regard to conditions.
As far as my personal favorites:
Cohutta Wilderness (non-AT) river crossings, and there are many, could be miserable in Feb.
Tellico/Bald River (non-AT)
Joyce Kilmer/Slickrock (non-AT)
Smokies (anything)
Max Patch (AT)
Roan Mountain (AT)
Grayson Highlands/Mt. Rogers (AT)

wookinpanub
01-22-2014, 16:46
Is this the one? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0937207152/

That's it. I refer to it as the Smokies Bible.

DSettahr
01-22-2014, 17:06
That's it. I refer to it as the Smokies Bible.

Thanks!

Yeah, I did a weekend trip in the Cohutta back in 2009 that was cut short by high stream crossings. I think at least an inch of rain had fallen overnight. I'm looking forward to revisiting that area at some point in the spring and (hopefully) getting to see more of it.

takethisbread
01-22-2014, 17:44
if you are staying on the AT , the ALDHA companion can be downloaded for like $8. it's been improved a lot , and is a huge bargain if you have a smartphone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alleghanian Orogeny
01-22-2014, 18:06
For day-hiking, Hiking the Blue Ridge Parkway, by Randy Johnson is an excellent guidebook. The BRP has many, many trails, mostly short (under 5-6 miles, but with Moses Cone Memorial Park and Julian Price Memorial Park, adjacent to one another on the outskirts of Blowing Rock, NC, offering tens of miles loop hikes). Grandfather Mountain, now within the NC state parks system, has some nice trails and some backpacking campsites, plus one MONDO shelter (the High Balsam shelter on the Daniel Boone Scout Trail--sunrises over the Piedmont which are quasi-religious experiences). Johnson's book is very well documented with maps, references to USGS topos, elevation gain info, and vivid trail descriptions. It includes the Grandfather Mountain network, probably because Johnson was under the employ of the then-current private owner, the late Hugh Morton, and he personally routed and laid out some of the newer trails.

Many of the BRP trails can be accessed from crossing routes even when segments of the BRP are closed in winter.

AO

DSettahr
01-24-2014, 11:48
Thanks for the help. I ordered the Hiking Guide to the Smokeys, as well as a bunch of the Tim Homan and Johnny Molloy books. I also ordered a bunch of the Nat Geo maps. Combined with the ATC books and maps, I'm feeling pretty set.

I don't have a smartphone, so online guides aren't an option for me, but thanks anyways! :)