PDA

View Full Version : Neoprene Socks

Tipi Walter
01-22-2014, 17:45
Any experts out there? Do neoprene socks work for cold creek crossings (when wearing crocs)? Is it worth the investment? Does water come down into the sock when crossing? What's the best thickness? Are they supposed to be sealed up with a calf gasket like a dry suit or allow water inside like a wetsuit? Thanks.

Slo-go'en
01-22-2014, 17:55
I would imagine the neoprene socks are a pretty tight fit. The summer I spent wandering around the Yellowstone area (1986 I think) I brought along a pair of neoprene scuba diver booties. Not only were they great for fording ice cold rivers, but they made great camp shoes when it was cold and wet out.

aficion
01-22-2014, 17:56
Any experts out there? Do neoprene socks work for cold creek crossings (when wearing crocs)? Is it worth the investment? Does water come down into the sock when crossing? What's the best thickness? Are they supposed to be sealed up with a calf gasket like a dry suit or allow water inside like a wetsuit? Thanks.

They work best with felt soled wading boots. Water gets in like a wet suit but traction and insulation are greatly improved. Couple of pounds with the socks when dry. My wading in crocs was unsatisfactorily slippery. Barefoot works best for me with quick dryuff and back into wool socks and footgear. Only take the booties and wading boots on fishing trips. Conditions on your recent trip might prompt me to carry them though.

Dogwood
01-22-2014, 17:57
Yes they can work for cold creek crossings in crocs but u might simply look to ditch the crocs(just think about it) and roll with reef walker type booties/slippers that can be used as camp shoes as well as cold water fords. All my Neoprene socks work by allowing cold water in trapping it next to my skin and warming it up. With all the ones I have they are not a type of dry sock/dry suit although there are some that have neoprene added to a dry sock(so called WP sock) for additional insulation without letting water in.

Tipi Walter
01-22-2014, 18:03
Thanks for the input.

Dogwood
01-22-2014, 18:06
Think about neoprene wet suits surfers, divers, etc wear and how their activities play into neoprene use. These people aren't typically doing short fords like you did on your recent hike. They stay in the water for a long duration giving the trapped water under there neoprene time to warm next to their skin and then that water is kept there. Even not under this situation as surfers, divers, etc experience you'll get some warmth while wearing them during short cold water fording experiences but IMO it's not the optimal situation for Neoprene sock use.

Alligator
01-22-2014, 23:27
The fit is going to depend on how they are sized. If they are S, M, L they may be loose on your foot depending on what your shoe size is. Some of them are cut kind of baggy too. I ran into this problem a few years ago with Sealskinz, they were too baggy and I ended buying Gore Tex socks which were sized in whole number sizes. They are also cut more form fitting. The current model Sealskinz look to be more form fitting.

I can't answer your thickness question too well as all my neoprene is for whitewater canoeing. I have more of a boot for my feet and they are 5mm. You can walk through ice out all day in those but they would be too heavy for even you. My wetsuit is a mix of 2 & 3mm. 2 mm is probably all you would need though, maybe less even.

As far as the cuffs on the socks, if they don't say they are going to keep the water out, assume it is going to get in.

BrianLe
01-23-2014, 11:41
For just crossing creeks I wouldn't bother with goretex socks. Unless a quite shallow creek, your feet will get wet anyway.

Put another way, IMO goretex socks are good for the same sorts of conditions that goretex shoes are good for.

When you (O.P.) mention 'cold' creek crossings, certainly neoprene socks can help. For me personally that's not worth it either unless I anticipate walking in water a lot, not just very infrequent crossings. But I suppose if you're concerned about numbness/pain as a safety factor on relatively wide crossings --- maybe.

Alligator
01-23-2014, 12:44
For just crossing creeks I wouldn't bother with goretex socks. Unless a quite shallow creek, your feet will get wet anyway.

Put another way, IMO goretex socks are good for the same sorts of conditions that goretex shoes are good for.

When you (O.P.) mention 'cold' creek crossings, certainly neoprene socks can help. For me personally that's not worth it either unless I anticipate walking in water a lot, not just very infrequent crossings. But I suppose if you're concerned about numbness/pain as a safety factor on relatively wide crossings --- maybe.I mentioned goretex socks mainly to illustrate the fitting issue. I agree with you, water would get in. I wouldn't recommend them for just river crossings either. I also agree too that the neoprene socks might help but it is really variable regarding the exposure time. It's similar to having shoes just for water crossings. Extra weight for limited gain.

I'm usually fully suited up when using my neoprene, but I don't personally experience the frigid cold at first immersion, the suit is warm to begin with. I don't remember ever being excessively cold waiting for the water inside to warm up. I've gotten dumped into the same stream conditions with and without a wetsuit and distinctly remember the difference. With just socks though, the portion of the leg above the socks and in the water will lose heat quicker than a leg in a wetsuit, but like you said, it may prevent the numbness/pain.

aficion
01-23-2014, 12:53
For multiple crossings in frigid temps the neoprene will freeze once you take the wet socks off unless you have a means to dry them thoroughly and immediately. If you dry them with a camp towel, it will then freeze. Interesting issue. Any good solution? Anyone.

Mobius
01-23-2014, 13:01
For multiple crossings in frigid temps the neoprene will freeze once you take the wet socks off unless you have a means to dry them thoroughly and immediately. If you dry them with a camp towel, it will then freeze. Interesting issue. Any good solution? Anyone.

I've worn SealSkinz on trails with lots of creek crossings (e.g. Ramsey's Draft) and had my feet stay dry. They're thick like a neoprene sock but waterproof. The sock does NOT form a seal around your leg so if you step into water deeper than the sock you'll get wet.

I'm not sure how well they would work for extended use or a vigorous hike (lots of sweating). I wore the SealSkinz over a thin liner sock and only for the 7-8 miles of creek crossing. (You cross the creek a couple dozen times over that distance.)

FishyOne
01-23-2014, 13:19
You should take a look at these, might do the trick and should work with Crocs. Any water over the top and your feet will get wet.
Hanz Submerge Waterproof Sockshttp://nrsweb5.richfx.com.edgesuite.net/image/media/30002_02_23511_side_112211_50x50.jpg

Mobius
01-23-2014, 13:51
You should take a look at these, might do the trick and should work with Crocs. Any water over the top and your feet will get wet.
Hanz Submerge Waterproof Sockshttp://nrsweb5.richfx.com.edgesuite.net/image/media/30002_02_23511_side_112211_50x50.jpg

Those are the same as SealSkinz for what its worth. The name got changed but I'm not sure why.

Rasputen
01-23-2014, 14:57
What I use.

Bread sacks with rubber bands. Put on bread sacks/crocs with rubber bands around the top. Take off after crossing ,shake off and put in pocket to further dry off and use again. I have tried kayak booties etc..( they (stay wet/cold/frozen) I like these best. A little fuss factor but worth it to me. I leave my socks on but there is a risk...

Bread sacks are cheap, light and multiuse ( as are rubber bands) as they can be used under sleep socks and other uses if needed. I carry two sets in winter.

Tipi Walter
01-23-2014, 18:10
Hey guys, thanks for the info. SealSkinz has sparked my interest, hence the question (along with numerous butt cold creek crossings this year).

Dogwood
01-24-2014, 01:36
Seal Skinz are nice. Never used Hanz but they looked good. Also look at NRS, Seirus, Kokotat, and Stohlquist socks/booties which you usually find in the paddling sections of outfitters.

Rain Man
01-24-2014, 10:47
Hey guys, thanks for the info. SealSkinz has sparked my interest....

Tipi, my wife expressed an interest in keeping her feet dry, so for Christmas I bought her a pair of Seal Skinz. Ironically, they are the same size to fit my feet! Funny how that worked out! ~wink~

Anyway, I'm taking them on a hike this weekend. Will let you know how they work for me, though I'm not sure I'll have to wade any crossings. We'll see.

Rain:sunMan

Tipi Walter
01-24-2014, 12:02
Tipi, my wife expressed an interest in keeping her feet dry, so for Christmas I bought her a pair of Seal Skinz. Ironically, they are the same size to fit my feet! Funny how that worked out! ~wink~

Anyway, I'm taking them on a hike this weekend. Will let you know how they work for me, though I'm not sure I'll have to wade any crossings. We'll see.

Rain:sunMan

I don't know if this makes any sense, but it's not the "wet feet" which concerns me, but the cold bare feet when crossing, keyword COLD. I was thinking neoprene socks would keep my feet "boot warm" as I go barefoot into crocs with the neoprene socks---the whole point of the inquiry. I guess I won't know until I get a pair and try them out.

On the other hand, if I can cross barefoot during these arctic temps and get home to write about it, I guess I don't need the socks and I can just keep using my bare feet with crocs. Problem is, god forbid you have to hike a winter trail like the Slickrock with 12 crossings in 7 miles at 0F---and you have to stay in your crocs the whole time. Brrrrr!! Time to check out options. (Or the Jacks River trail with it's 42 crossings!)

aficion
01-24-2014, 13:53
Kokatat 3L Launch Socks look good. There are some reviews out there. Pricy but reportedly light. Did not find actual weight. Cinch above knee. Wear with wool socks under neath and crocs. I might look into glueing some felt to the bottom of my crocs too.

ocourse
01-24-2014, 21:17
+1
I have SealSkinz and they are OK. But I would say save your money and use bread bags or oven baking bags and cross the streams quickly. You will get cold regardless, but it won't kill you.

Bread sacks with rubber bands. Put on bread sacks/crocs with rubber bands around the top. Take off after crossing ,shake off and put in pocket to further dry off and use again. I have tried kayak booties etc..( they (stay wet/cold/frozen) I like these best. A little fuss factor but worth it to me. I leave my socks on but there is a risk...

Bread sacks are cheap, light and multiuse ( as are rubber bands) as they can be used under sleep socks and other uses if needed. I carry two sets in winter.[/QUOTE]

rocketsocks
01-24-2014, 21:21
+1
I have SealSkinz and they are OK. But I would say save your money and use bread bags or oven baking bags and cross the streams quickly. You will get cold regardless, but it won't kill you.

Bread sacks are cheap, light and multiuse ( as are rubber bands) as they can be used under sleep socks and other uses if needed. I carry two sets in winter.
...and if ya really wanna "dirt bag it" many institutions carry long umbrella bags that they keep in the entryways to combat slick wet floors and lawsuits on rainy days.

DeerPath
01-25-2014, 17:30

I have a pair of SealSkinz never used. Must be size large for 10.5 shoe. PM your address and I'll mail them to you, if you think they fit you. Try them out and report back.
Happy Trails

beachbunny
01-25-2014, 20:07
crocs are a pain in the foot to cross in, I used my wetsuit booties and I was fine

mudsocks
01-26-2014, 01:44
What I use.

I used bread bags as a kid to stay out in the cold long after my boots were saturated with water or when my boots were still wet from the previous day. If bread bags are too low their big brother oven bags are bigger and tougher. http://sectionhiker.com/vapor-barrier-socks-using-reynolds-oven-bags/