PDA

View Full Version : Southbound hike from Atkins hwy-81 to Damascus

Dadburnet
01-22-2014, 19:05
I've been planning a hike for the first two weeks in May from Atkins.Va(hwy 81) to Damascus. Is this doable at a slow pace in 11 -12 days?:welcome I'm only planning on ~7 miles a day and enjoying the walk. My pack wieght totals at 36 lbs and I'm planning on stopping at Troutdale for a maildrop/mail home box and hostel stay.

moldy
01-22-2014, 19:30
You can do this easy with 7 mile days and 36 lbs. Troutdale is a poor place to zero in unless they have reopened the little cafe/store. The town has no businesses, gas stations, cell service, pay phones etc.

4shot
01-22-2014, 19:31
It's about 75 miles between Atkins and Damascus so your plan is very reasonable. Depending on when Trail days is this year you will have a crowd around you, even going SOBO. welcome to WB.

bigcranky
01-22-2014, 20:19
That's a nice time of year for that section. Generally great weather. You will not be lonely. :)

There is a hostel in Troutdale, IIRC. Also a post office, and there is a new small store a few miles south on Rt. 16. Jerry's was still closed this past summer, not sure if it will reopen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Dadburnet
01-23-2014, 10:55
Thanks folks, I'm Already packing and unpacking my pack. PRETTY EXCITED and training every day. Gotta have a carrot to look foward to in order to get through the winter.All I really need is a post office in Troutdale!

Almost There
01-23-2014, 11:05
Should be an awesome hike! Great stretch to go SOBO.