PDA

View Full Version : MSR SuperFly Stove

bert304
01-22-2014, 20:10
What are the opinions of the MSR SuperFly versus the Jetboil Sol alum

bfayer
01-22-2014, 20:29
The superfly is a traditional canister stove with the ability to use non lindal valve canisters. The Jetboil is an integrated system that is designed for speed and efficiency.

The big advantage of the Jetboil is fuel efficiency, the drawback is if you use it with a non Jetboil pot, you have just another middle of the road canister stove that weighs more than it needs to. The other main advantage of the Jetboil is convenience, it sets up quick, boils fast, and puts away fast.

The superfly is just another middle of the road canister stove. It is only a good choice IMHO if you travel overseas and need the ability to use non-standard canisters.

Basically it all comes down to what your priority is.

Light weight = traditional canister stove
Real cooking = traditional canister stove
Boiling water = Jetboil
Simplicity = Jetboil
Fuel efficiency = Jetboil
Traveling overseas = Superfly

HooKooDooKu
01-22-2014, 21:28
Good review bfayer.

The one thing I would add is that the SuperFly (as with many canister stoves) has a fully adjustable flame.

By contrast, the JetBoil is pretty much either "on" or "off". There's something like only a 1/4 turn from full on to full off (so I don't understand why the control knob will go around something like three turns).

bfayer
01-22-2014, 21:36
Good review bfayer.

The one thing I would add is that the SuperFly (as with many canister stoves) has a fully adjustable flame.

By contrast, the JetBoil is pretty much either "on" or "off". There's something like only a 1/4 turn from full on to full off (so I don't understand why the control know will go around something like three turns).

Good point, I guess I was trying to imply that, but it's better to come out and say it. The Jetboil is exactly what it says it is: "Jet Boil", it's kind of all or nothing. it works great for Knorr sides, rice, ramen, etc., but for real cooking it leaves a lot to be desired.

bert304
01-23-2014, 13:24
Ok I want something I can cook on with a frying pan and also be able to simmer. I was looking at the Jetboil for the fact it is all in one cook system. But I think because I want to be able to simmer and cook more then just boil water I should go with the SuperFly and use a separate pot and pan. Currently I use a GSI Bugaboo but I is too large of a cook set for 1-2 people.

bfayer
01-23-2014, 14:00
If you don't need to ability to use non-lindel valve canisters, there are better, lighter stoves out there. Take a look at the SOTO Micro regulator. About half the weight, built in igniter, regulator for better operation in cold weather.

HooKooDooKu
01-23-2014, 15:40
Is there any reason you've selected the SuperFly specifically? It seems like it's only claim to fame is the ability to use multiple canisters found internationally.

So far, my favorite canister stove is the Snow Peak LiteMax. It's ultra light weight, folds down to nothing, and is fully adjustable (simmer to boil). About it's only drawback is it is not designed for heavy pots and pans (like boiling water in a full 2qt pot).

Starchild
01-23-2014, 16:35
There was some talk a little while back about a cheap stove, something like under $10 which some found worked perfectly fine.

What gets me with the superfly is it claims to boil 1L of water in 3 minutes, the Jetboil can not do that (it would be more like 4), The superfly also has a large burner, which may allow more gas to flow to accomplish this (and if combined with a pot that has a heat exchanger like the Jetboil, but made for the superfly).

The large burner of the superfly however limits your practical pot size (you need a wide enough pot), I would much rather have a smaller burner.

Addition:
While you can simmer in the Jetboil, it is not made for it, not because of the valve as you can certainly get a good simmer flame, I've done it make times and it is not hard to do, but the heat fins will concentrate too much heat so if you are simmering anything but water or 'near water' you can expect to have some level of burnt on food at the bottom.

bert304
01-23-2014, 20:01
The only reason I looked at the superfly is for the fact of simmering. I don't just boil water,I like to cook different types of food. I will look at other suggestions.

Coffee
01-23-2014, 20:10
Regarding the jetboil and simmering, through trial and error, I found a method that allows for simmering and doesn't burn the food or the pot. First, bring the water to a boil as usual. Turn off the flame entirely and add the food to be cooked. Cover the pot and place it in some sort of cozy (in addition to the included sleeve). Wait about ten minutes. Start the stove again and maintain as low a flame as possible. Return the pot to the burner and stir frequently. For the first few minutes, you can simmer like this but it does get too hot again after a while. If continued simmering is needed, the pot can be held a couple of inches above the pot support.

I've found it possible to cook things like Trader Joes cheese ravioli using this technique. Of course it is much simpler to opt for instant foods but I get tired of mashed potatoes and couscous pretty quickly.