PDA

View Full Version : Lets make our own AT show

Toon
01-22-2014, 20:17
I posted this in the reality TV thread but wanted to start a new thread and get some input.
We all know someday there gonna make an at movie or show. Why don't we do it before anyone else gets a chance to. Here's my idea. I'm sponsored by a camera company similar to gopro but cheaper for my kayak fishing business. I would like to contact gopro and see if they will get on board. If not we will use the the company that currently sponsers me.
The idea is to give 20 to 30 thru hikers there own equitment and they just film there hike. Film the essence of the trail, the talks around the fire, the crazy Guy that drives you to town. Anything that would be good TV. We would not have to start at the same time or even go the same direction. The point is to get the thru hiker experience. Film the crazy storms, falls or God forbid you leaving the trail and your reason. I still have to work out most of the details. I just came up with this 30 minutes ago. I'm thinking this could be a series on descovery or history channel.
Anyway I wanted to get your input and see who would Want to be involved. If this does work as planned each hiker would get there gopro equitment to keep and also be paid a great amount of money if we get it on TV. Second season could be pct then cdt.
Please give me your ideas and advice. I'd rather us the hiker community make the money than bear grills...
Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Toon
01-22-2014, 21:17
Nobody hu???

Meriadoc
01-22-2014, 21:28
We all know someday there gonna make an at movie or show. Why don't we do it before anyone else gets a chance to.

You're right. Better to tell the story ourselves than let it be distorted by others.

HikerMom58
01-22-2014, 21:29
This idea should be posted in the Class of 2014 forum! It could work! :0)

kayak karl
01-22-2014, 21:36
You're right. Better to tell the story ourselves than let it be distorted by others.
don't you mean, Better to distorted the story ourselves than let it be told by others. :D

LAF
01-22-2014, 21:38
I use a GoPro for diving and have already planned on taking a GoPro for my thru this year. but I'd be more than happy to get a new, improved GoPro for the trip :)

Meriadoc
01-22-2014, 21:38
don't you mean, Better to distorted the story ourselves than let it be told by others. :D
Sure. Sounds about right :D

Toon
01-22-2014, 23:38
I will get a proposal ready and contact gopro with the idea. If you want to get in on this please right up a short bio with trail experience. A short video showing your personality on a hike would be nice also. I would like to have a list of names with short bio and headshot to show the guys at gopro.

Send email to. Westonhooks@yahoo.com
I want to come to gopro with a solid list of hikers that will make them unable to decline the offer. Even if they do we will have many other options.

Name, age, city, state, hiking experience in years, trails and sections completed, photo of yourself, and a list of url's to hiking video.

My trail name is chief by the way, attemped thru in 2012 springer-devils fork gap.

I would love to hear more ideas about the actual filming. Im designing a panoramic scan system with the guide wire of my hammock so I can run it between two trees at an overlook and by pulling the camera over a small pully with another rope scanning the horizon.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Toon
01-22-2014, 23:41
Oh some contact info on there might help also. Thanks!

Toon
01-22-2014, 23:45
If anyone wants to help me write the proposal that would be great im sure there are brighter minds than mine out there. I think this has the potential to work so im getting really excited.

Toon
01-22-2014, 23:49
Move to class of 2014 please mod.

Terry7
01-23-2014, 11:28
this will be my 8th year on the A.T. and my 2nd documentary. this year I want to focus on a group of 5-10 hikers from start to finish, like a reality show style. The only problem I see is keeping up with the younger hikers. :) I will be starting 1st week of April my trail name is Seven, see ya out there.

link to 2013 Thru-Hikers documentary http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwjpBT4fyuBBCznQDy_QYsw

ihavea4
01-23-2014, 12:19
i would be interested, but i won't be on the trail this year. i'm hoping for 2015, but might have to push to 2016. either way, i look forward to seeing where this goes. i agree that it would be better to do it ourselves than have hollywood come in and screw it all up.

Koozy
01-23-2014, 13:39
This has sparked my interest. I'm planning to start a NOBO the first week of April (likely April 3rd or 4th) and am already planning to photo/video document my trip.

Dogwood
01-23-2014, 14:09
Did this idea come about while you were soaking up rays on Longboat or Siesta Key? strolling through Marie Selby Botanical Garden? splashing your spoon in Cocoa Puffs while surfing WB? looking at that hiking gear in the garage you haven't used in 4 yrs? :D

Toon, are you one of the guys who rents out/sells fishing kayaks for use on Sarasota Bay? There used to be someone who did that in Sarasota but since I haven't been there in a couple of yrs there may now be more than one shop that does this. They do guide services too.

Toon
01-23-2014, 15:02
Did this idea come about while you were soaking up rays on Longboat or Siesta Key? strolling through Marie Selby Botanical Garden? splashing your spoon in Cocoa Puffs while surfing WB? looking at that hiking gear in the garage you haven't used in 4 yrs? :D

Toon, are you one of the guys who rents out/sells fishing kayaks for use on Sarasota Bay? There used to be someone who did that in Sarasota but since I haven't been there in a couple of yrs there may now be more than one shop that does this. They do guide services too.

We do guided tours all around Sarasota. We travel to the springs in north Florida a lot. And no the idea didn't float into my mind while sitting on the key. I work 50 hours a week as a pool tech for a resort. Then do trips on the weekends. I try to spend as little as possible in the winter so every summer I can take off 5 months and hike. Its been working great for the last 3 years. We do a lot of gators tours in the park. Check out my latest video on my facebook
Westonhooks. This may not happen this year but it will happen. I think we all have a opportunity to make something great if we put our minds together and come up with an idea. Then approached a company like Nat Geo or a&e. Or we could piss and moan and let Hollywood tell the story of the trail when walk I'm the woods comes out.

Poedog
01-23-2014, 15:40
...and also be paid a great amount of money if we get it on TV. Second season could be pct then cdt.
Please give me your ideas and advice. I'd rather us the hiker community make the money than bear grills...

Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth - Thoreau

ALLEGHENY
01-23-2014, 15:55
What if you gave all the profit to the ATC.

Toon
01-23-2014, 16:19

I have considered that. If the project did get off the ground I would definitely have something in the contract giving a percentage of profits to the ATC. This is just in the idea stages as of now. This could be a way for us to raise money to improve the trail. Great idea.

Toon
01-23-2014, 16:27
Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth - Thoreau

Yeah cool I read too. This project could portray the truth about the trail. We all know its a lot different when your out there than what we expected. Please give as much input as possible. There are a lot of ways to approach this. I bet there are enough people in this community that we could have full control of the project from start to finish. Funds could be raised to improve trail conditions and even make some new trails. I'm simply asking for advice and ideas. If you think its a bad idea and don't want to be apart of it cool.

ihavea4
01-23-2014, 17:01

i don't know about anyone else, but if i got a free gopro camera out of it, that would be more than enough for me! just being a part of something like this would be fun, i would vote to donate funds to the ATC. though i'm not sure anyone would make very much money from this at all, aside from the big tv corporations.

Toon
01-23-2014, 17:25
i don't know about anyone else, but if i got a free gopro camera out of it, that would be more than enough for me! just being a part of something like this would be fun, i would vote to donate funds to the ATC. though i'm not sure anyone would make very much money from this at all, aside from the big tv corporations.

I'm not out to make a ton of money either. That's not the point. Getting some free gear and maybe a little money $1000? Would be more than enough. I just want to be part of the project. We could donate all the profits to the ATC. I would imagine if it did take off and get on a big network they could pay for our expenses while hiking that would be awesome. I'm sure there are enough people on this site that we could get this off the ground.
We just need to get a good proposal and get it into the right hands. What would you want or need to do this? What would we want to put in the proposal regarding donations to the ATC?

Dogwood
01-23-2014, 17:33
AT Reality TV Stars? OHHH NOOO!

AT Reality TV Action Figures? OHHH NOOO! Wanna be a thru hikers will collect them with all the accessories(mini backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, hammocks, trekking poles, etc) just like those who play with GI Joe, Action Jackson, Transformer, or Barbie dolls

AT Reality TV Star Playing Cards? OHHH NOOO!

AT Reality TV Game Playing Sets? OHHH NOOO! Kinda like Chutes and Ladders?

AT Reality TV Miniature Lean To/Shelter Sets? OHHH NOOO!

AT Reality TV Passports? OHHH NOOO! Passports you can get stamped at various AT locations like so many do on the Camino de Santiago Pilgrimage?

Dogwood
01-23-2014, 17:36
I like your enthusiasm Toon. It can work!

ALLEGHENY
01-23-2014, 17:44
NPS rules and regulations may come into play for a commercial operation.

Toon
01-23-2014, 18:05
NPS rules and regulations may come into play for a commercial operation.
I'm sure they will. I'm not saying we grab cameras and run to the woods. This will be a huge project. If we get involved with a big company like Nat Geo or discovery I'm sure they can handle the legal aspects.

Toon
01-23-2014, 18:07
I like your enthusiasm Toon. It can work!

Thanks dogwood. I really think it can work. I was thinking movie but the format of a series would work better I think. You could show one hiker in the whites that started early then jump to someone who started late down in GA.

kayak karl
01-23-2014, 18:46
so when will we see a Kickstart page on this. you better stretch the truth on it a bit. it will be hard get pledges to film people walking from one place to another day after day, after day, after day :D

Toon
01-23-2014, 18:56
so when will we see a Kickstart page on this. you better stretch the truth on it a bit. it will be hard get pledges to film people walking from one place to another day after day, after day, after day :D

I'm not going to rely on pledges if the idea pans out the company will pay for it. Right now I just want to get a list of people that would like to be involved.