PDA

View Full Version : How to best print a Trail Journal

Lady Grey
01-22-2014, 20:58
Not sure if this is the right forum, but thought I'd start here. I'd like to print a hard copy of my trail journal from last year's AT hike, and not sure of the best way to do this. I'd appreciate any tips on how others have done this... ideally I'd like to have a copy of everything that I could keep in a loose leaf binder. Is there a business that can make this happen? I've emailed the Trail Journals folks but haven't yet had a response.

Thanks in advance for any insight/suggestions!

Lady Grey AT NOBO '13 www.trailjournals.com/LadyGrey

BuckeyeBill
01-22-2014, 23:55
Can you copy and paste it into a Word document then print it out.

Tipi Walter
01-23-2014, 00:07
Hey, check out this link---

http://www.trailjournals.com/text/list.cfm?id=14041

I know, this link is still labor intensive as every page needs to be printed separately. TJ's needs to come up with a long list of entries so you can print 20 or 30 days worth of entries. And the above option does not include pictures. Of course, you probably already know about the Print View option on the left of your journal.

Lady Grey
01-23-2014, 07:33
Thanks Tipi and Buckeye. I've thought about copying and pasting... just wondering what I'm missing. I'm hoping to hear back from Trail Journals admin. with suggestions. I've got to think that others have successfully printed their journals at some point!

soilman
01-23-2014, 08:03
I cut and pasted using Word. It took a little while to do, but it was easier than printing off each page in TJ.

Kerosene
01-23-2014, 08:24
The value of copying into a Word document is that you can then incorporate pictures throughout the journal. It takes a bit of time and expertise to do it well, but the end product is attractive. Once you have a digital copy, you could also take it a step further and create your own website. Here's a short 3-page example of my latest journal, with pictures embedded. PM me if you'd like me to send you the Microsoft Word file to use as a template.

Hrdlee
01-23-2014, 09:31
Thanks Tipi and Buckeye. I've thought about copying and pasting... just wondering what I'm missing. I'm hoping to hear back from Trail Journals admin. with suggestions. I've got to think that others have successfully printed their journals at some point!

As an avid reader of Trail Journals, I too have thought about printing. I would love to read your trip in its entirety but the ability to read, look at pictures, and bookmark my place is so tedious and frustrating. Please share this with administrators. I must say that I hate bitching about something that is free and I enjoy so much. Ugh

BrianLe
01-23-2014, 11:32
I think that some pdf creation tools can be pointed at an html root and told to render the sub-pages all in one document, but in practice I imagine the results and success vary a lot, particularly if there's any page protection going on, and if there are a lot of ads or other 'junk' URL's involved. But search the web for text along this line: "copy entire website to pdf". Once in pdf format, it can be converted or edited directly using other tools.

After I hiked the CDT a friend surprised me with a hardbound book of my trail journals; I'm not sure how he did it. I use postholer.com, rather than trailjournals.com however; not sure if that would make a difference. You might just call and ask a local copy shop to see if they have any tips or tricks for this.

One advantage of postholer.com is that you can download a text-only single document of your journal. There's some formatting stuff in the result, but I think that without too much trouble I could reformat it to be something nice. I certainly like the ability to have my own copy of my journal without having to go to extraordinary or tedious lengths! The photos are not included, however. Since you presumeably have the original photos, it would be a whole lot less tedious to just grab a photo or two for various entries and stick it in yourself.

If you follow through on this, please post specifics of the process that worked for you!

rhjanes
01-23-2014, 11:32
Don't mean to hijack the thread....but I've got a TJ question also.
First, Lady Grey, I was one of your followers. Nice TJ.

Now my question. And yes, I have emailed to TJ "Contacts" and never got a reply. I have a reader account and book mark the TJ's I follow, such as Lady Greys. But about a year ago, I got to messing around with some settings and POOF....the little task bar on the panel where "bookmarks" was, vanished. I used to be able to click on the "bookmarks" and it would show me the one's I'd bookmarked. So I could easily read those TJ's that I was most interested in, first.
Anyone know how to get the "bookmark" toolbar to show back up?

Smithwick
01-23-2014, 15:08
Email me at [email protected] and I will convert it to word and send it to you. I am working on including the photos, but do not have that part working yet. Should have it by next week with photos. Today I can send you words only.

Not sure if this is the right forum, but thought I'd start here. I'd like to print a hard copy of my trail journal from last year's AT hike, and not sure of the best way to do this. I'd appreciate any tips on how others have done this... ideally I'd like to have a copy of everything that I could keep in a loose leaf binder. Is there a business that can make this happen? I've emailed the Trail Journals folks but haven't yet had a response.

Thanks in advance for any insight/suggestions!

Lady Grey AT NOBO '13 www.trailjournals.com/LadyGrey (http://www.trailjournals.com/LadyGrey)

Smithwick
01-23-2014, 15:12
I hiked for two months in 2013. Made it to Damascus before the cold and wet sent me home. Trail name StopsALot. Converting the Journal is something I am working on to share with others who might want it. You can be my first customer.

Lady Grey
01-24-2014, 07:56
Thanks everyone... good to know I'm not the only one trying to sort this out! Smithwick, I might take you up on the offer if you're willing to give it a try. I'm away this weekend but will get back at this next week.

Smithwick
01-24-2014, 13:01
Just let me know. I have the word document created from your journal with pictures included.

Smithwick
03-02-2014, 19:28
Did you figure out another way to get this done or give up?

Lady Grey
03-02-2014, 20:34
No, I haven't figured out another way to do it and never heard back from TJ Admin. Are you still interested in giving it a try? I've been wrapped up in other projects recently so haven't spent any further time thinking about it!

Smithwick
03-04-2014, 19:35
Email me at [email protected] and I will reply with the word document.

Smithwick
06-06-2016, 12:07
If anyone wants their trail journal converted to word, email me at [email protected]

Connie
06-06-2016, 12:49
That is very generous.

I use Abiword for website pages that are not print-ready or PDF conversion.

Abiword is freeware. It will "import" photos.

I have paid Hypersnap DX for best screen capture. I "import" those photos to Abiword.

The recent-most updates to i-device Notepad takes photos and graphics and prints to a WiFi printer. Nice.

That Keroscene template looks good enough to print for friends.

Tipi Walter
06-06-2016, 15:48
I copy alot of trail journals on my black and white jet printer and it's a time consuming process but I have two techniques:

** If I want pics (black and white in my case), I hit the print option on the left side and print.
** If I want alot of text without entry page interruptions I hit the Print option, select all, copy, and transfer each entry onto my computer's Word Pad and after 20 or so pages print out the entire thing.

** Once printed I take a "book roll" out with me backpacking---about 70 pages with printing on both sides---140 reading pages total. This I call one book roll. In camp on a trip I read thru the roll back and front and afterwards burn the whole wad. It's a good system because burning lightens my pack alot over the first 5 or 6 days of a trip. Day One is hell, though.

Question: Can trail journal entries be put on a kindle??