PDA

View Full Version : Robert E Lee's Grave

Chair-man
01-23-2014, 09:59
As some of you probably know, after the civil war General Robert E Lee became president of Washington University (now called Washington & Lee University) in Lexington VA. After his death he was buried on the grounds of the university underneath a chapel. I'm not sure if the chapel was there before he was buried or built on top after he was buried. I see now that the chapel is a museum. Now that I am planing my thru I'm thinking this would be kinda neat place to see since Lexington is considered a trail town located 15 w of the trail. How is Lexington as for as shuttles, hostels etc? Seems a little to far to hitch.
Link> Robert E Lee Museum (http://www2.wlu.edu/x56873.xml)

Hill Ape
01-23-2014, 10:10
the chapel was built during lee's tenure as president. there is a cool statute in the chapel, and the crypt underneath is the resting place for many of lee's family

Hill Ape
01-23-2014, 10:13
bring an apple for the horse

moldy
01-23-2014, 10:20
Easy hitch, come off the trail on VA 60, go West. In 9 miles you come to Buena Vista which most hikers consider a trail town. Lexington is 6 miles further and has hotels, fast foods and an outfitter store.

takethisbread
01-23-2014, 11:49
few good historic sites close to or on the trail. the trail passes through Sheffield MA which was the most significant site of Shays rebellion, marking the doom of the Articles of the Confederation. the trail passes reasonably close to Gettysburg , in the southern section of the PA trail, u can easily get to if you get off the trail and get into Carlisle. Erwin was home to Elephant hanging of some repute. obviously , Harpers Ferry is one of the premier historic parks in the entire country and a helluva town . mt Greylock in MA is where Herman Melville penned some of Moby Dick and other transcendentalists like Whitman Emerson and Thoreau retreated to . probably a lot more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HikerMom58
01-23-2014, 11:54
As some of you probably know, after the civil war General Robert E Lee became president of Washington University (now called Washington & Lee University) in Lexington VA. After his death he was buried on the grounds of the university underneath a chapel. I'm not sure if the chapel was there before he was buried or built on top after he was buried. I see now that the chapel is a museum. Now that I am planing my thru I'm thinking this would be kinda neat place to see since Lexington is considered a trail town located 15 w of the trail. How is Lexington as for as shuttles, hostels etc? Seems a little to far to hitch.
Link> Robert E Lee Museum (http://www2.wlu.edu/x56873.xml)

Contact Deer Hunter to see if he can provide you with a shuttle. I don't know if aficion is available... he lives near Lexington.

Deer Hunter
01-23-2014, 12:08
Chair-Man, let me know when you will be near me here in Buena Vista and I will see if I can hook you up. :) It has been years since I last visited and wouldn't mind seeing it all again myself.

Chair-man
01-23-2014, 14:03
Chair-Man, let me know when you will be near me here in Buena Vista and I will see if I can hook you up. :) It has been years since I last visited and wouldn't mind seeing it all again myself.
Well, my thru won't be til 2016. As of today I have just 24 months left of work til I retire then it's = party city- whoo hooo:banana. I do plan on a few more section hikes tune ups before then. I'm going to do 10 day section sometime this spring and I want to a avoid "the bubble" so who knows I might shoot up that way. Thanks for the offer.

Martymart
01-23-2014, 15:10
If your visiting Lexington don't forget to visit Stonewall Jackson's grave as well.

swjohnsey
01-23-2014, 17:09
Westpoint. Lee was the commandant.

Hill Ape
01-23-2014, 17:39
lee was superintendent of west point for a period before the civil war, not the commandant, post war he served as president of washington and lee

shelb
01-24-2014, 00:23
few good historic sites close to or on the trail. . mt Greylock in MA is where ,,transcendentalists like Whitman Emerson and Thoreau retreated to . ...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did not know this.... I LOVE Emerson & Thoreau! As an English teacher, I have managed to inspire many a new A.T. Hiker with their teachings, coupled with the showing of "Into the Wild."

rocketsocks
01-24-2014, 00:31
oops.............

rocketsocks
01-24-2014, 00:34

Well, my thru won't be til 2016. As of today I have just 24 months left of work til I retire then it's = party city- whoo hooo:banana. I do plan on a few more section hikes tune ups before then. I'm going to do 10 day section sometime this spring and I want to a avoid "the bubble" so who knows I might shoot up that way. Thanks for the offer.
Awesome, gotta love it folks...way to pay it forward.

Deer Hunter
01-24-2014, 10:24

Wish I only had that long until retirement but I'm glad for you. keep me in mind for 2016.

Deer Hunter
01-24-2014, 10:33
Awesome, gotta love it folks...way to pay it forward.

Wish I could open a full time shuttle service and maybe even a hostel but.............

HikerMom58
01-24-2014, 11:43
Wish I could open a full time shuttle service and maybe even a hostel but.............

Hey Rocknsocks..:banana Keep dreamin about it .... ya never know what can happen, DH.

horicon
01-24-2014, 11:59
If you are a Civil War buff, its worth the visit.