PDA

View Full Version : NOBO from Springer in July?

gwb
01-23-2014, 15:59
I have been section hiking over the last view years and hope to finish the trail this year! Last year I hiked South from Katahdin to Great Barrington MA, then shuttled to Harpers Ferry and hiked to Waynesboro, as I had already hiked Harpers Ferry to Great Barrington during the previous two years... I could start at Waynesboro and continue South, but I have been considering starting at Springer. Two reasons: less crowds and I like the idea of walking towards home... I have looked at weather data for the southern sections in July/August and it looks hot but I don't know if that always tells the whole story. So what are some thoughts about leaving Springer in July? Weather, bugs, trail conditions? Thanks in advance...

max patch
01-23-2014, 16:19
Its gonna be hot and humid in GA in July. But...I reached the SNP on 6/28 on my thru and it was hot and humid there also.

There won't be any crowds at Springer in July so don't let influence your decision. Personal preference...if you want to "walk home" that just may be what drives your decision.

bigcranky
01-23-2014, 17:00
Hot and humid and a lot of undergrowth. Plenty of nettles and poison ivy. Afternoon thundershowers most days. But that describes walking south from Waynesboro, too.

The upside is that you don't need much in the way of clothing or warm layers, though it can get chilly in or after a storm.

gwb
01-23-2014, 17:31
Hadn't considered the poison ivy... I wonder if it is worse than the trail in PA, where I do most of my hiking? When we started last year in Maine it was in the 90s', hotter than I had anticipated. Thanks for the input. Other things to consider?

Sandy of PA
01-23-2014, 21:59
I did GA in July last year southbound, poison ivy was there but not as bad as PA! I was wishing for a lighter sleeping bag, 30 degrees way too hot.

daddytwosticks
01-24-2014, 08:30
I think you will see some crowds on weekends, especially in Georgia (ie: scout troops, etc.). Once you get to some higher elevations, the heat and humidity won't be that bad. Last summer was pretty mild down on this end of the trail. I took some day hikes in July and August and it was positively delightful at higher elevations around the Standing Indian area of NC. Have a great hike. :)

fredmugs
01-24-2014, 09:14
Hadn't considered the poison ivy... I wonder if it is worse than the trail in PA, where I do most of my hiking? When we started last year in Maine it was in the 90s', hotter than I had anticipated. Thanks for the input. Other things to consider?

I would be more concerned with ticks and dried up water sources.