PDA

View Full Version : hawk mountain to harper's ferry - how to resupply?

ZoSo
09-05-2005, 01:50
if you read my other recent post, you know that i'm new to any sort of distance hiking. but im planning a solo trip from hawk mtn to harper's ferry. i'm going to be leaving in the next day or so.

but i wanted to get some opinions on how i should handle resupplying. please tell me if you think this is a good approach (remember, im new to this):

1. leave hawk mtn with 4 days supply of food
2. stop in pine grove to resupply (39 miles). leave with 5 day supply
3. stop in duncannon to resupply (49 miles). leave with 6 day supply
4. stop in mt holly springs to resupply (65 miles). leave with 5 day supply
5. finish in harper's ferry (59 miles)

i know it's a little conservative, but do you think im making too many stops? i know some people stop almost everyday and some barely ever stop, but 4-5 days seems reasonable for me. although if i start making good time, it could turn into every 3-4 days.

one other question, for those familiar with the area. reading the elevation profile for the part of the trail between the eckville shelter and windsor furnace sheltor i noticed it said "watershed area-- no camping or fires" is that for real, can you not camp for that entire 5 mile ridge?

thanks! :)

DuctTape
09-06-2005, 01:42
Your plan looks pretty good to me... I'm assuming you're buying your food along the way, which is what I would recommend. You're absolutely right, it's best to plan your days and mileage conservatively... especially if you're new to backpacking. Aside from your first stop at Pine Grove, I don't think this is too much to worry about at this point. I always liked to plan one town stop at a time. By the time you hit Duncannon you'll know exactly what you need to make it to the next resupply point... and so on.

Eckville to Windsor furnace is one of my favorite sections to day hike... notably because of the fine views at Pulpit rock and The Pinnacle. There is technically no camping permitted in this section because it is a watershed for the Hamburg resevoir and the land is owned by the borough. From Eckville south to the Pinnacle there are a number of unofficial campsites with fire rings where I would not feel uncomfortable camping. At the Pinnnacle itself there is a fire ring and a nice flat area for camping... I've seen the sunrise there a number of times and it has always been excellent. South of the Pinnacle, the trail is mostly a rocky ridgeline without any good spots for camping anyhow. If you're starting your hike from Hawk Mountain Road, why not just spend your first night at Windsor Furnace?

It looks like you live about five minutes from me... sent you an email...

shades of blue
09-06-2005, 06:35
I don't know if you've left yet....
The only place I had to carry six days of food at one time was in the 100 mile wilderness, and you can resupply in there too. There isn't anything wrong with carrying a lot of food, it is a decision that would save you the trouble of hitching into town alot...however, I found it fairly easy to hitch into town every three to four days, sometimes two days. This saves an average of six pounds of food (if you average two pounds of food a day). I used to never hitch, but for me,taking the trouble to hitch outweighed (pun intended) carrying six extra pounds. Jack Tarlin has a resupply article under articles on White Blaze. Just another way to look at hiking the trail.