PDA

View Full Version : Section hiking

nathanwelch1995
01-23-2014, 23:10
My venture crew is looking to hike part of the trail starting at springer mountain and ending at dicks creek gap, I was reading and it said the road to the parking lot at the gap was closed sometimes can anyone elaborate? Also I need a short list of items that are necessary for the hike we are gonna do a couple 10 milers first, and i want to distribute about as much weight as they will be carrying with them on the trail.

kayak karl
01-23-2014, 23:14
what's a venture crew??

Tuckahoe
01-23-2014, 23:36
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturing_(Boy_Scouts_of_America)
http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Venturing.aspx

shelb
01-23-2014, 23:38
A Venturing Crew is level of the Boy Scouts of America. The members are co-ed high school students who seek adventure in the world around them.

Nathan: I can't speak for the Georgia area; however, I am considering taking our Venturing Crew on the A.T. - either through Maryland or through southern Virginia in the Greyson Highlands area.

While I am certainly no expert, I have section hiked about 350 miles so far on the A.T.

If your Crew is thinking about the A.T., have someone purchase "The A.T. Guide" http://www.theatguide.com/
This is all you will need to plan your trip. No other maps are needed unless you really want to look at the topographical stuff.
My 12 year old used these maps to plan a 30 mile section hike for his Boy Scout Troop a few years ago.

Last MAJOR advise: DO NOT plan to stay in shelters. Those are for the non-group people. BE VERY CONSIDERATE of the other hikers! Go OVERBOARD to be nice and helpful!!!

Slo-go'en
01-23-2014, 23:49
what's a venture crew??

Ahh, it's a Scout thing.

Nathan, you need to tell us when are you going and how many will there be? The Gap could be closed due to winter storms and would be temperary. You wouldn't want to be out there then anyway.

If you plan to do this in the spring, there will be many others doing that same section. Everyone in your group will need a tent, along with the usual sleeping bag, sleeping pad, clothes and so on. About the only load you can split up is food.

daddytwosticks
01-24-2014, 08:22
My venture crew is looking to hike part of the trail starting at springer mountain and ending at dicks creek gap, I was reading and it said the road to the parking lot at the gap was closed sometimes can anyone elaborate? Also I need a short list of items that are necessary for the hike we are gonna do a couple 10 milers first, and i want to distribute about as much weight as they will be carrying with them on the trail. Dick's Creek Gap is right at a paved state maintained road that receives a ton of traffic. If they close that road, it would be a bad thing. :)

moldy
01-24-2014, 08:53
So it's venture crew now, wonder why they changed the name from boy scouts? All that bad press?

Tuckahoe
01-24-2014, 08:58
It's still Boy Scouts. Explorers/Venture Crew are an older age group co-ed level of BSA. There is still the standard BSA troop with no change.

slbirdnerd
01-24-2014, 10:34
Hi, Nathan, and welcome! I'm a Scouter and a Section Hiker working my way through GA. I had my Scout there for an overnight last year. You guys really need to educate yourselves before you go and I'd suggest learning what you can here, through other articles/videos online, and honestly I'd suggest each person going read the Backpacking merit Badge booklet. Also:

1. If your group is more than a few people, try to schedule this when the trail won't be busy. Don't go during thru hiker season.
2. Everyone does not need their own tent, they can share, but try to take tents are lighter and remember a 2 person tent is really too small for 2 people.
3. You'll need backpacking stoves, and those can be shared as well. Just make sure you have enough fuel for everyone.
4. You need water filters/treatment. You can probably share these.
4. Most everything else, people will need their own stuff. Meals you might be able to share.
5. The lighter you keep your gear and more comfortable your pack fits, the better time you'll have.
6. 10 miles per day could be difficult the first couple days unless these backpackers are experienced with mountainous terrain.

Here is a good basic starting gear list: http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4. This is from Mountain Crossings, where you will stop to break/resupply about half way to Dicks Creek Gap. It is an outfitter and hostel right on the trail at Neel Gap.

I'll private message you with some other info.

Sonya

max patch
01-24-2014, 10:53
Dick's Creek Gap is right at a paved state maintained road that receives a ton of traffic. If they close that road, it would be a bad thing. :)

Yeah, I'd say that if that road is ever closed because of weather conditions its probably too nasty out to want to be hiking anyway.

The road too be concerned about is the Richard B Russell Scenic Hwy; it is almost always the first road to close when bad weather hits. The trail heads for Tesnatee Gap and Hog Pen Gap are on this road. It was closed a couple weeks ago when the really cold weather hit.