PDA

View Full Version : Found this gem on the 2014 Facebook forum.

dukakis
01-24-2014, 00:23

Let the games begin...

GoodGerman
01-24-2014, 06:28
What happened to the HYOH-thing?

Sent from my Windows Phone

LAF
01-24-2014, 07:38
[QUOTE=GoodGerman;1838395]What happened to the HYOH-thing?

+1 it's a individual choice and is all about how one personally feels about it. HYOH and forget the debate :)

4shot
01-24-2014, 07:51
What happened to the HYOH-thing?

Sent from my Windows Phone

from my experience,I think that "HYOH" rule only applies to people who are actually hiking...the rule is suspended it seems when indoors on a computer.;)

kayak karl
01-24-2014, 08:55
it's hard to ski up the approach trail.

fredmugs
01-24-2014, 09:11
from my experience,I think that "HYOH" rule only applies to people who are actually hiking...the rule is suspended it seems when indoors on a computer.;)

HYOH is usually preceded by some whiny, negative comment. Examples:

If you hike more miles a day than I do you can't possibly enjoy yourself. HYOH
If you listen to music, take an electronic device, etc there's something wrong with you. HYOH

forrest!
01-24-2014, 09:39
I don't get it - I have to hike an approach trail to get to the start of the trail - Oh, that's right I'm going southbound - never mind;)

Malto
01-24-2014, 10:54
I don't get it - I have to hike an approach trail to get to the start of the trail - Oh, that's right I'm going southbound - never mind;)

Yes, but you have the approach trail between you and pizza at the end......... Unless you're a whimp and don't do the "departure trail." But, HYOH!

Semodex
01-24-2014, 12:58

If you listen to music, take an electronic device, etc there's something wrong with you. HYOH

For some reason this reminds of the "Bless her heart" used in the south that usually precedes something like: she's so fat, she's so ugly.

max patch
01-24-2014, 13:11
I couldn't decide what to do so I started in the middle of the approach trail.

forrest!
01-24-2014, 13:23
Yes, but you have the approach trail between you and pizza at the end......... Unless you're a whimp and don't do the "departure trail." But, HYOH!

Southbounders are the Rodney Dangerfields of AT hikers - we just can't get any respect :)

max patch
01-24-2014, 13:25
"the" facebook forum?

there's so many appalachian trail forums on facebook that facebook probably charges the ATC rent.

HikerMom58
01-24-2014, 13:39
I'm so tired of all this stuff! I hate it! Does any other community engage in such verbal wailing ,against each other, as this one does? I hope not! It's embarrassing!

Oh please....you can be judged if you stay in shelters, carry or don't carry hiking poles, filter or don't filter your water, hike too fast or too slow, hiking SOBO, NOBO or Flip Flop ,Thru-hiker or Section hiker.... it goes on & on..... I mean, really? Now this?

It's funny because it's so opposite from how it seemed to be, for most people, actually on the trail. (That could be changing too. :() The very thing that made this community so great, was the fact, when hiking the trail, everyone was immediately accepted & everyone was like family on the trail. Maybe that's gone now too... :mad:

It's the "my way or the highway" thinking that's outta control! I'm going to blame it on the peeps with NPD! Why not? :rolleyes:

max patch
01-24-2014, 14:17
I'm so tired of all this stuff! I hate it! Does any other community engage in such verbal wailing ,against each other, as this one does? I hope not! It's embarrassing!

Trailplace doesn't. Every member, all 6 of them, without exception, is extremely helpful and answers every question to the best of their ability.

Storm
01-24-2014, 14:54

Oh please....you can be judged if you stay in shelters, carry or don't carry hiking poles, filter or don't filter your water, hike too fast or too slow, hiking SOBO, NOBO or Flip Flop ,Thru-hiker or Section hiker.... it goes on & on..... I mean, really? Now this?

It's funny because it's so opposite from how it seemed to be, for most people, actually on the trail. (That could be changing too. :() The very thing that made this community so great, was the fact, when hiking the trail, everyone was immediately accepted & everyone was like family on the trail. Maybe that's gone now too... :mad:

It's the "my way or the highway" thinking that's outta control! I'm going to blame it on the peeps with NPD! Why not? :rolleyes:

Well said, one of the reasons I don't hang here much anymore. Rather put up with a little good natured ridicule from real hikers that I respect. Cause I know if the crap ever hit the fan they would have my back.

HikerMom58
01-24-2014, 15:42
Trailplace doesn't. Every member, all 6 of them, without exception, is extremely helpful and answers every question to the best of their ability.

It would be very boring if everyone agreed with each other all the time. It's all about respect tho. It's one thing to disagree with each other, that fine. I love a good debate.
I saw how this was going on FB... it's not about respecting others at all. Name calling was involved, here. It's about putting others down so one can look like the one and only bada$$.

Well said, one of the reasons I don't hang here much anymore. Rather put up with a little good natured ridicule from real hikers that I respect. Cause I know if the crap ever hit the fan they would have my back.

I dig good natured ribbing... it's fun, Storm. :) It's all about trust and respect, tho. Trust and respect is earned. If that is lost on someone- that's when it really begins to "hurt". Hurtful comments aimed toward others that you have a common interest with, is something that is hard to understand... I don't get it.

FYI.. who likes to get cussed out? Raise ur hand. umm... no one?? I can't see that ever happening here. First of all, cussing is not allowed here. I loose all respect for anyone that does that, to an unsuspecting person, or ones that would "put up" with that crap. Just keeping it real, Storm. I also don't like ppl messing with my username. Sooo that's that.

Marta
01-24-2014, 15:56

Let the games begin...

I think it's funny. I don't care whether anyone hikes the Approach Trail or not, but if you're worried about seven miles, you are in for a rude awakening when you switch from fantasy cyber/book hiking to one-foot-in-front-of-another hiking.

Pedaling Fool
01-24-2014, 16:02

I agree HM, everyone needs to just HYOH and respect others, even if they are not real hikers, like me and hike the approach trail. I totally respect all wannabe hikers.

:eek::D

;)

Happy44
01-24-2014, 16:03
well said ^ were are all different people but lets come together and enjoy the thing we all have in common HIKING :) be HAPPY like me :P

ChinMusic
01-24-2014, 16:08
I think it's funny. I don't care whether anyone hikes the Approach Trail or not, but if you're worried about seven miles, you are in for a rude awakening when you switch from fantasy cyber/book hiking to one-foot-in-front-of-another hiking.

This..........

capehiker
01-24-2014, 16:14
I didn't see any name calling in that thread.

mak1277
01-24-2014, 16:14
Does any other community engage in such verbal wailing ,against each other, as this one does? I hope not! It's embarrassing!

I thought that verbal wailing against each other was **required** in every internet forum. This one is certainly not unique in that respect, at least not in my experience.

ChinMusic
01-24-2014, 16:22

I did not see anything either. Sometimes I can't tell if is imagination or moderation.

max patch
01-24-2014, 16:25
I thought that verbal wailing against each other was **required** in every internet forum.

Not in the Honda Element forum.

mak1277
01-24-2014, 16:27
Not in the Honda Element forum.

I call BS on that....you're not a REAL Honda Element owner unless you drive the 5-speed manual transmission and have cloth interior.

Or was it 4-speed auto and leather? I can never remember....

max patch
01-24-2014, 16:30
I call BS on that....you're not a REAL Honda Element owner unless you drive the 5-speed manual transmission and have cloth interior.

Or was it 4-speed auto and leather? I can never remember....

thats just good natured joshing. :)

Siarl
01-24-2014, 16:50
For some reason this reminds of the "Bless her heart" used in the south that usually precedes something like: she's so fat, she's so ugly.

LOL I say that alot along with the rest of my fan-damily.

atmilkman
01-24-2014, 16:54

How true. This is good.

HikerMom58
01-24-2014, 17:09

Ok, it may have been a different FB page but I copied and pasted the name calling that I saw on another thread on WB, not too long ago. They were discussing the same thing.. doing the approach trail. I'll see if I can find it again.

HikerMom58
01-24-2014, 17:12
I thought that verbal wailing against each other was **required** in every internet forum. This one is certainly not unique in that respect, at least not in my experience.

True dat! I don't love it, tho. That's me, I'm prob. the odd man out... lol Right, OMO? ;)

HikerMom58
01-24-2014, 17:13
How true. This is good.

AWESOME!! ATM is awesome!! :D

aficion
01-24-2014, 18:55
Hike your own hike, please.
Sing Kum Ba Ya on your knees.
Besides.... its all good:rolleyes:

Sarcasm the elf
01-24-2014, 19:04

Let the games begin...

Just tell them that it's not really a thru hike unless they start from mount Oglethorpe.:rolleyes:

aficion
01-24-2014, 19:09
Bless your little heart
You don't know where you should start
Anywhere will do

Last Call
01-24-2014, 19:09
If you were going to climb Everest, would you skip Base Camp? Paint the blue blazes grey on the Approach Trail, because it is a grey area, whether it is an official part of the AT or not....it's connected, it's on all the maps, it has the arch, register and the official weigh-in scale and all that. They should just officially extend it to the arch and be done with it.

ChinMusic
01-24-2014, 19:11
The Approach Trail is NOT a part of the AT. I chose to hike it for fun on my thru.

Sarcasm the elf
01-24-2014, 19:12
If you were going to climb Everest, would you skip Base Camp? Paint the blue blazes grey on the Approach Trail, because it is a grey area, whether it is an official part of the AT or not....it's connected, it's on all the maps, it has the arch, register and the official weigh-in scale and all that. They should just officially extend it to the arch and be done with it.

Or people could just stop worrying about something as absurd and arbitrary as the exact starting and stopping points they are walking to and from on their extended vacation.:sun

aficion
01-24-2014, 19:15
Or people could just stop worrying about something as absurd and arbitrary as the exact starting and stopping points they are walking to and from on their extended vacation.:sun

Bingo !:sun

Last Call
01-24-2014, 19:22
When I asked about the best place to start last Spring, one of the Rangers said at the beginning, right outside the door at the arch. She should know.

Foresight
01-24-2014, 19:26

LOL!

I couldn't decide what to do so I started in the middle of the approach trail.

SOBO the approach and NOBO the trail. BAM! I win.

Ok, since I have to be nice to you until I get my hug I'm going to explain this to you as best I can. Some of this may be foreign to you, but please, just accept it as me being right because 1.) I am and 2.) we'll get along better that way....:D

Long distance hikers by their very nature and the very nature of their pursuit are identical to duck hunters. Both take place in often miserable conditions and the act itself is often one of misery. The misery, while few will admit it, is why we do it. Where's the sense of accomplishment if nothing is overcome in the process? In order to be involved in either act you have to embrace the misery. The misery makes up happy.

Sitting behind a computer there is none of this misery that we long for so we create it. Why? Because it is a fundamental element of human nature to want to be happy. What makes hikers happy? Hiking. What is hiking? Misery. Hikers, like duck hunters, want to happy so we create the misery...it makes us happy :D

aficion
01-24-2014, 19:27
When I asked about the best place to start last Spring, one of the Rangers said at the beginning, right outside the door at the arch. She should know.

An opinion. Hers, yours, its...yet there are others with merit too.............whats a conscientious hiker to do?

aficion
01-24-2014, 19:33
Your only option is
To start and end where you want
That's what hiking is

max patch
01-24-2014, 19:35
Paint the blue blazes grey on the Approach Trail, because it is a grey area, whether it is an official part of the AT or not....it's connected, it's on all the maps, it has the arch, register and the official weigh-in scale and all that. They should just officially extend it to the arch and be done with it.

Nothing "gray" about it, approach hasn't been part of the Appalachian Trail since 1958 when they moved the terminus to Springer.

I have noted your improvement thou; last Fall you insisted over and over that the approach trail WAS the Appalachian Trail and now you have conceded its gray. You're getting there.

max patch
01-24-2014, 19:46

I don't disagree with the ranger that hiking the approach trail to the start of the Appalachian Trail is better for many people than driving a mile from the summit, hiking SOBO on the Appalachian Trail to the summit, and then turning around and retracing your steps hiking NOBO.

HikerMom58
01-24-2014, 20:35
LOL!

SOBO the approach and NOBO the trail. BAM! I win.

Ok, since I have to be nice to you until I get my hug I'm going to explain this to you as best I can. Some of this may be foreign to you, but please, just accept it as me being right because 1.) I am and 2.) we'll get along better that way....:D

Long distance hikers by their very nature and the very nature of their pursuit are identical to duck hunters. Both take place in often miserable conditions and the act itself is often one of misery. The misery, while few will admit it, is why we do it. Where's the sense of accomplishment if nothing is overcome in the process? In order to be involved in either act you have to embrace the misery. The misery makes up happy.

Sitting behind a computer there is none of this misery that we long for so we create it. Why? Because it is a fundamental element of human nature to want to be happy. What makes hikers happy? Hiking. What is hiking? Misery. Hikers, like duck hunters, want to happy so we create the misery...it makes us happy :D

Ha Ha!! I actually think I followed that! ;) Aww... thanks for trying to help me understand this-- madness. I've got my own version of madness going on, so that's not foreign, I do understand!

I don't hunt ducks. I do hike, so I get it. :o)

So far so good on receiving that hug, Foresight. :p

T.S.Kobzol
01-24-2014, 20:43
Well you will have to go up and down Katahdin to begin :P

Sent from my vivid imagination and delusions of grandeur

Foresight
01-24-2014, 20:43
:cartoonmedancingajig:

rocketsocks
01-24-2014, 20:49
I really hate when I get to the theater late and the movie has already started...is it to late for popcorn.

aficion
01-24-2014, 21:37
I really hate when I get to the theater late and the movie has already started...is it to late for popcorn.

Theatre popcorn kills
unless you take the right pills
or hike up some hills

rocketsocks
01-24-2014, 21:40
Theatre popcorn kills
or hike up some hillsthat do keep things a churnin ;) Don't it?

HikerMom58
01-24-2014, 21:50
Theatre popcorn kills
or hike up some hills

You are good aficion! I can't do that.

that do keep things a churnin ;) Don't it?

Hike up some hills (approach trail) and you'll get a juicy butt! :D

Sarcasm the elf
01-24-2014, 21:54

That was flat out brilliant.

Mags
01-24-2014, 22:00
My simple answer to the approach trail discussion? Do what is best for the person nice enough to drop you off. Anything else is just internet amusement ;)

HikerMom58
01-24-2014, 22:02
That was flat out brilliant.

Ha... I thought of you when I read this and I almost typed.... you know.. "embrace the suck"! :)

rocketsocks
01-24-2014, 22:11
You are good aficion! I can't do that.

Hike up some hills (approach trail) and you'll get a juicy butt! :Dagree

That was flat out brilliant.agree

My simple answer to the approach trail discussion? Do what is best for the person nice enough to drop you off. Anything else is just internet amusement ;)and once again...yep you guessed it.....agree

atmilkman
01-24-2014, 22:20
agree

agree

and once again...yep you guessed it.....agree
You could of had 3 posts out of that.

Night Train
01-24-2014, 22:39
...........and added some dancing bananas for theatrics.

Malto
01-24-2014, 22:48
No, only one RIGHT way, you MUST hike the approach trail. If not you're a whimp.
put down the pitch fork if you can't tell I'm playing. :)

rocketsocks
01-24-2014, 22:49
I'm slippin...

HikerMom58
01-25-2014, 11:28
Okay gezzzz... I believe in a standard but this is NUTS! I just saw this convo on fb ... seems hikers are talking about it today.

I'm quoting someone saying this...

"Anyone who doesn't do the Approach Trail and calls themselves a Thru-hiker are delusional".....

I'm impressed with the ability of mp & Alligator in expressing their opinion of what they think defines a thru-hike. :)

I found it... This is what I was referring too, when I said they started with the "name calling". Really? Calling into question your fellow thru hiker's status & calling them delusional is crazy stuff, IMHO.

If someone hikes the trail & is happy about their hike, why do others have to rain on their parade, remind them that they aren't real thru-hikers, call them weenies b/c they stayed in shelters or didn't stay in shelters... whatever!

I don't want to hear/ read that crap.

I don't find it entertaining in the least. It's got to be more of a "guy thing" too.... :D

Having said that, I'll send warm January hugs to all my cyber-hikin friends....I love y'all! I mean it!

One more thing... I was hanging right with max patch and Alligator when they were debating what defines a thru-hike. They were civil to each other while making well thought out responses to each other. I was IMPRESSED!

I'm done with HS drama.. I like respectful adult-like debates and exchanges. That is all! :D Big Smile!

ChinMusic
01-25-2014, 11:52
They? THEY? really?

I tiny minority of jamokes got you worked up?

SawnieRobertson
01-25-2014, 12:22

Hear! Hear! . . . .

Pedaling Fool
01-25-2014, 12:26
I think we all need to step away from the computer and go out for a run; I'm going real soon. Any one want to come along:)

Malto
01-25-2014, 12:31
They? THEY? really?

I tiny minority of jamokes got you worked up?

I with chin on this. There is WAY more drama than needed.

MDSection12
01-25-2014, 12:46
Does any other community engage in such verbal wailing ,against each other, as this one does? I hope not! It's embarrassing!
Yup. Every hobby I participate in, in fact... But they're all the same in that once you get out and do it all that stuff falls away. It's just human nature that we all adapt our way of doing things, then have trouble seeing the logic in other's ways of doing the same thing.

When you add the fact that in this hobby we're all using the same three foot wide strip of ground it makes sense that tensions can get high. I'm glad they do when LNT stuff comes up, we are all stewards in that respect, but I generally agree with you that the rest is unnecessary... Even if I get caught up in it myself at times. It's just typing. :p

HikerMom58
01-25-2014, 12:50
I'm not worked up about it, that's just how I feel about it all. Don't read more into it....please! Everyone has different feelings.. those are mine.

I'm going for a run too, PF.

I wasn't trying to start anything new. I don't want to start the debate all over again.

A good response would be : HM thanks for sharing! Instead of: Oh Gosh, why do you feel that way? Your getting all worked up over nothing.

No, those are my feelings.. that's it. Can I tell you how I feel?

Thanks MD for your post, I was wondering about that.

MDSection12
01-25-2014, 12:52
I never understood the approach trail thing... Then again, to steal a term from one of the Kevins, I'm just a clueless weekender. :)

ChinMusic
01-25-2014, 13:25
Back the the OP: The way I read the OP cartoon is to say, "If you are avoiding the Approach Trail because you think the 8 miles is significant, you will have your eyes opened soon". I agree with this. In the big picture 8 miles ain't squat.

Sure, there are a few fools that insist the Approach Trail is an integral part of a thru. They are much easier to swat away than the bugs on the trail, and less significant.

HikerMom58
01-25-2014, 14:03
Back the the OP: The way I read the OP cartoon is to say, "If you are avoiding the Approach Trail because you think the 8 miles is significant, you will have your eyes opened soon". I agree with this. In the big picture 8 miles ain't squat.

Sure, there are a few fools that insist the Approach Trail is an integral part of a thru. They are much easier to swat away than the bugs on the trail, and less significant.

I hear ya, Chin. I agree with you.

I guess it kinda blew me away cause I had never heard anyone argue about the approach trail. Whew... that seemed like a "safe" topic to me! Now, it seems like that can be debated as well. :D Big smile.. still smiling! ;)

Malto
01-25-2014, 14:05
I'm not worked up about it, that's just how I feel about it all. Don't read more into it....please! Everyone has different feelings.. those are mine.

I'm going for a run too, PF.

I wasn't trying to start anything new. I don't want to start the debate all over again.

A good response would be : HM thanks for sharing! Instead of: Oh Gosh, why do you feel that way? Your getting all worked up over nothing.

No, those are my feelings.. that's it. Can I tell you how I feel?

Thanks MD for your post, I was wondering about that.

HM,
i know you have have all the best intentions but it isn't always about feelings. It was actually a fairly good natured thread about the approach trail, nothing more, nothing less.

HikerMom58
01-25-2014, 14:25
HM,
i know you have have all the best intentions but it isn't always about feelings. It was actually a fairly good natured thread about the approach trail, nothing more, nothing less.

"I with chin on this. There is WAY more drama than needed."

Okay, so what you are implying is that I brought unwanted drama into this thread because of my feelings I had/have when I read conversation about this subject on FB.

I can understand how you could feel that way. I'm sorry. I also appreciate the way you "talked" to me about this.

Thanks Malto. I'll try not to make the same mistake again.

ChinMusic
01-25-2014, 14:36

Okay, so what you are implying is that I brought unwanted drama into this thread because of my feelings I had/have when I read conversation about this subject on FB.

I can understand how you could feel that way. I'm sorry. I also appreciate the way you "talked" to me about this.

You didn't make any "mistake". I haven't read any "mistakes" other than someone who once stated the Approach Trail is a part of the AT.

Maybe we have driven onto one of those Mars/Venus detours. I have to worry about "feelings" too much in the real world. This is my blunt time.

MDSection12
01-25-2014, 14:37

You said you're not letting any of this truly bother you, simply expressing your thoughts... As long as that's the case you've made no mistake. This is a discussion forum, and your opinions are a part of the discussion. No apologies necessary. :)

HikerMom58
01-25-2014, 14:53
You didn't make any "mistake". I haven't read any "mistakes" other than someone who once stated the Approach Trail is a part of the AT.

Maybe we have driven onto one of those Mars/Venus detours. I have to worry about "feelings" too much in the real world. This is my blunt time.

That's funny, Chin. I luv you!! You can really "call it". :P The Mars/Venus detour... I love it! :p

Well, Malto didn't like it. I have no problem apologizing to him. Sometimes talking about "feelings" make people feel uncomfortable, too. He called it drama.. whatever. I made the mistake of veering off the intended reason for the post, I guess.

I like to stay :cool: with everyone but also knowing, full well, that they make plenty of mistakes themselves. :D

Umm... I need to take "blunt" lessons from you. LOL! The only time I go there is when I'm really really MAD. Then, watch out!

Thanks MD.

capehiker
01-25-2014, 15:52
HM,

That was my take away as well.

Malto
01-25-2014, 17:10

I believe this sums it up well.

HikerMom58
01-25-2014, 17:45
I believe this sums it up well.

I know, right Malto? That's Chin Music! :D

gollwoods
01-25-2014, 17:59
the idea behind folks in a group wanting to enforce uniformity is so they can conform perfectly themselves with no possible diversion from the standard so that they can truly feel that they belong. if there is ambiguity among the members, then the ones trying to fit in will be confused and get anxious that someone will see an error in their behavior and possibly infer that they don't belong somehow. if they had their way all thru hikers would wear a uniform set of clothes color coded by start date and get a passport stamp along the way to show how fast they hiked.

4eyedbuzzard
01-25-2014, 18:03
Put NSA in charge of monitoring thru-hiking. Problems solved.

BradMT
01-25-2014, 19:29

Let the games begin...

Agreed 100%... having BTDT.

mak1277
01-25-2014, 19:33
the idea behind folks in a group wanting to enforce uniformity is so they can conform perfectly themselves with no possible diversion from the standard so that they can truly feel that they belong. if there is ambiguity among the members, then the ones trying to fit in will be confused and get anxious that someone will see an error in their behavior and possibly infer that they don't belong somehow. if they had their way all thru hikers would wear a uniform set of clothes color coded by start date and get a passport stamp along the way to show how fast they hiked.

I don't think people want uniformity as much as they want validation that the view they already hold is "right" (HMHDI).

Other people (like me) are just bored at work sometimes, and will pick a side in an argument and fight for it, simply for the sake of entertainment :)

Theosus
01-25-2014, 19:44

Theres a guy on another general "outdoors" forum I frequent, and there's one guy like that. If someone asks a simple question like "are solar panels useful when hiking", or "How long will my GPS batteries in the woods", he BLASTS them. "You're one of those a-holes that will get lost in the woods, stay out of it if you don't know what you're doing", or "If you can't get off the grid for three days just stay home and leave the outdoors to the real outdoorsmen". God forbid you want to listen to music in your tent at night or might want to take a few pictures with your phone on the mountaintop. He doesn't know the meaning of the expression "hike your own hike". I think his is more like "Hike my kind of hiking or you're just stupid". HMKHYJS...

4eyedbuzzard
01-25-2014, 19:48
Any valid discussion/debate pretty much requires opposing points of view, or at minimum someone playing the role of Devil's Advocate, if for no other reason than to make the opposing POV prove its argument.

I think a lot of people not only seek validation, but also perhaps some degree of status.

MDSection12
01-25-2014, 21:00
Are we arguing about why we argue now? Can I play?

No! We argue because some of us are doing it right and the rest are doing it wrong! :p

LAF
01-25-2014, 23:04
I got off the Facebook forum because of all the nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HikerMom58
01-25-2014, 23:30
I got off the Facebook forum because of all the nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well yeah, at first it seemed much better than other forums in terms of accepting others & their ideas of hiking but then I started to see a shift back to the same ole way of thinking , "my way of hiking is the BEST".

I think MDSection12 called it when he said it's just human nature. Can't get away from it. And then, what everyone else is saying about being bored, the entertainment factor or embracing the cyber hiking misery deal. :)

The thing is, I actually like to meet up with some people that I meet on the hiking sites. I like to be a friend and help them out if I can. I have made so many good friends here and on FB & I love spending time with them.

If you have argued with people online a lot... you're like, Go away... I don't think I have much in common with you or would enjoy your company. I think that's sad when that happens.

LAF
01-27-2014, 06:27
Hey HM - you have the voice of reason :) I find that WB is much better at being self-moderating than FB. Perhaps because WB is a different online format than FB, but perhaps it's also because of the WB "culture" I have observed and the voices of reason that are here vs. FB. There are folks here that always seem to do a good job of providing info, being the voices of reason, etc. (people like yourself, dogwood, hikerboy57, woo, just bill, and many others, .... you know the folks) which doesn't seem to be as prevalent on FB. And there is always the bad apple ;) So on FB I can't say I've had any arguments w/ folks, I just don't have the same patience and tolerance for the few there that I seem to have an online personality conflict with. With that said, there are plenty of people here (and on FB) I would love to meet on the trail and have a true in person conversation with. I've already listed a couple above but the truth is I've not had the same "I'll just go away" feeling with anyone here on WB as I experienced on FB. Maybe it's the whole FB thing I have a problem with :). Anyway, thank you for being one of those voices of reason, it's not a talent I possess although I should work on it more.

And I do think that one can get away from the "negativity" or competition, or the "it's my way..." approaches. I believe it is a learned behavior that can be changed. Although sometimes it does take a "stern voice" with the "offenders" (done in a good way) to let them know their behavior is not acceptable. It's about setting the tone so to speak and I think that tone has been properly set on WB, it is on the positive side - everyone always looking to help (well, 99% of the time anyway).

I can only voice what works for me and my opinions on a matter with the knowledge that it is exactly that, my view and my experience. Doesn't make it right or wrong, just what works for me and not trying to convince anyone any differently. And I welcome others input to those views and experiences; I learn from other peoples insights and outside perspectives and can modify my own based on constructive conversations. One way I've heard it put: "it is hard for me to be 100% honest with myself, about myself, by myself".

Sorry, I know that's a long reply and perhaps a bit philosophical :-? and probably TMI. Guess it's just one way that for me to say I respect you and many others on this forum. WB has been a valuable resource for me and I hope that I can contribute and help others as well.

hope to see you on the trail :sun

aficion
01-27-2014, 07:08
Serious arguments about serious topics are serious. Lighthearted disagreement about frivolous things can be seen, and entered into, as entertainment. Some folks enjoy being part of, or observing either. In either case being thin skinned might get in the way of a good time. NOT saying being mean is OK, but neither is taking offense at playful banter.
One of the things that is very impressive about WB is the effort made by most to get along, while at the same time having fun discussing various things. HikerMom and Chin Music, with their different styles, exemplify what I'm talking about. They, and the rest of you, are what makes this place worthwhile. Thanks.

fins1838
01-27-2014, 07:59

Hike MY hike or stay home dang-it :rolleyes:

hikerboy57
01-27-2014, 09:40
there is a disconnect between the real world and the internet.

HikerMom58
01-27-2014, 10:13
Hey HM - you have the voice of reason :) I find that WB is much better at being self-moderating than FB. Perhaps because WB is a different online format than FB, but perhaps it's also because of the WB "culture" I have observed and the voices of reason that are here vs. FB. There are folks here that always seem to do a good job of providing info, being the voices of reason, etc. (people like yourself, dogwood, hikerboy57, woo, just bill, and many others, .... you know the folks) which doesn't seem to be as prevalent on FB. And there is always the bad apple ;) So on FB I can't say I've had any arguments w/ folks, I just don't have the same patience and tolerance for the few there that I seem to have an online personality conflict with. With that said, there are plenty of people here (and on FB) I would love to meet on the trail and have a true in person conversation with. I've already listed a couple above but the truth is I've not had the same "I'll just go away" feeling with anyone here on WB as I experienced on FB. Maybe it's the whole FB thing I have a problem with :). Anyway, thank you for being one of those voices of reason, it's not a talent I possess although I should work on it more.

And I do think that one can get away from the "negativity" or competition, or the "it's my way..." approaches. I believe it is a learned behavior that can be changed. Although sometimes it does take a "stern voice" with the "offenders" (done in a good way) to let them know their behavior is not acceptable. It's about setting the tone so to speak and I think that tone has been properly set on WB, it is on the positive side - everyone always looking to help (well, 99% of the time anyway).

I can only voice what works for me and my opinions on a matter with the knowledge that it is exactly that, my view and my experience. Doesn't make it right or wrong, just what works for me and not trying to convince anyone any differently. And I welcome others input to those views and experiences; I learn from other peoples insights and outside perspectives and can modify my own based on constructive conversations. One way I've heard it put: "it is hard for me to be 100% honest with myself, about myself, by myself".

Sorry, I know that's a long reply and perhaps a bit philosophical :-? and probably TMI. Guess it's just one way that for me to say I respect you and many others on this forum. WB has been a valuable resource for me and I hope that I can contribute and help others as well.

hope to see you on the trail :sun

Yes indeed, I hope to see you on the trail, psyenz.

You can get philosophical on me, I'm right with ya! :) There can never be TMI when it comes to this type discussion... not for me anyway.

psyenz... thanks so much for all the kind words. I appreciate that. There are soo many members on here that go above and beyond as far as reaching out to members and sharing their wealth of knowledge so freely. I stand amazed.

Oh course, it has to be noted that there are ones that are so negative and not helpful at all. Those are the very ones I wish I could meet and really talk too. I long to know.. what's up? I really want to understand.

The FB pages are fun too b/c it's all about personalities & power struggles, just like on WB. I do like this type of forum. I just wish it had a "like" button and "boo dat" button. That way you wouldn't have to type as much. :D

The ones "in charge" need the wisdom of Solomon to know what's really going on with people. It's hard to figure out, at first.

It's all about understanding each other. Once you gain understanding, it helps to deal with it all. Sometimes, you just don't want to deal and that's fine too. (ignore feature, it works)

I'm more a fan of everyone being on equal ground. No one should feel like they are better than anyone else. We all have value. We are all loved & accepted by the One, that matters the most. ;)

I like your second paragraph a lot. I agree. I think speaking the truth in love goes a long way with getting along with others.
I will listen to constructive criticism but if I detect it coming from a bad place. I will fight back. I gotta feel the love.

I agree 100% with the part I put in bold from what you wrote. I love it. Iron sharpens iron.

I'm sure you have already been a help to others on here. Thanks for sharing with all of us!!

Jebo
01-27-2014, 12:34
Whoaa - it's a little bit scary in here. But nothing ventured...

So ...there's a path that leads to the start of the path, and, you don't have to, but if you don't hike that you haven't really started at the very start of the start of the path. You can hike backwards a mile to the start of the path, turn around and hike forward to where you started, but then you've started ahead of the start, 7.5 miles short of the path that leads to the start, or 8.5 miles short of where you started, even though you've already hiked 2 miles to get 1 mile ahead of the start, back to where you started. So you've gotten off to a false start.

None of this is new. Like most things about this ancient and timeless odyssey, Greek mythology has it covered. As Hercules debated the path of Vice or Virtue, Vice advices: "Heracles, mark how hard and long is that road to joy, of which this woman tells? But I will lead you by a short and easy road to happiness".

So where to start depends on whether you are hiking for joy or happiness.

Mags
01-27-2014, 12:36
So where to start depends on whether you are hiking for joy or happiness.

..or where the person who is nice enough to haul your butt up there wants to drop you off.

forrest!
01-27-2014, 12:56
Whoaa - it's a little bit scary in here. But nothing ventured...

Why does everybody ignore the Southbounders? It's like we don't exist or something. Not to mention all the other alternate plans. There is more than one beginning to the trail - there are many, which points out how silly this whole debate is. Unless you are saying there is only one way to hike the trail, Northbound.

Sarcasm the elf
01-27-2014, 13:26
So ...there's a path that leads to the start of the path, and, you don't have to, but if you don't hike that you haven't really started at the very start of the start of the path. You can hike backwards a mile to the start of the path, turn around and hike forward to where you started, but then you've started ahead of the start, 7.5 miles short of the path that leads to the start, or 8.5 miles short of where you started, even though you've already hiked 2 miles to get 1 mile ahead of the start, back to where you started. So you've gotten off to a false start.

Yep, that's more or dead accurate. When i sectionsd southern Georgia, we did the approach trail as well, but that was strictly because my buddy's wife wasn't comfortable with the idea of driving on the forest service roads up Springer mountain.

If i ever get around to doing a thru hike, I'm going to start at Oglethorpe just to be smug. :eek: