PDA

View Full Version : The less spoken about but still essential items?

Matthew82
01-24-2014, 13:03
Could a few of you lovely people more experienced on the AT than myself please post list of those items that you feel should be brought along? Not shelter, stove, sleeping bag and similarly obvious items, but those items that are commonly forgotten about while one is prepping for their hike. I suppose a first aid kit and what it contains might be a good example. The only request I would add is please try to only include essential items, I'm easily confused and might start adding silly stuff to my pack otherwise. =D

max patch
01-24-2014, 13:07
If you forget something Mountain Crossings which is 3 days away will be glad to help you out. :) And if find you've forgotten something else the outfitter in Franklin is a week away. They'll be glad to help too,

dmax
01-24-2014, 13:17
Nail clippers

ocasey3
01-24-2014, 13:19
Nail clippers
I am always surprised that this is never on anyone's gear list.

max patch
01-24-2014, 13:22
Sunscreen.

max patch
01-24-2014, 13:23
Earplugs...

chiefiepoo
01-24-2014, 13:27
Large cotton bandana as a pot holder, wash cloth, do rag, bandage, oh hell just go here.

http://www.pmaresearch.com/cowboy-tips/101-or-so-other-uses-for-a-bandana/

Zippy Morocco
01-24-2014, 13:30
Nail clippers are a good choice. Mole skin, body glide, super glue, imodium. Super glue can be used for first aid or repairs.

capehiker
01-24-2014, 13:30
I am always surprised that this is never on anyone's gear list.

I use a small Leatherman micro so I just use the scissors as nail clippers.

Matthew82
01-24-2014, 13:55
Earplugs? I'm not sure I'm grasping that one...

Rocket Jones
01-24-2014, 13:58
Earplugs... people snore.

Hot Flash
01-24-2014, 14:05
A few doses of Imodium.

tiptoe
01-24-2014, 14:06
A small pocket knife with a scissors blade. A pot scrubber, made from a little section of plastic mesh bag that citrus fruit is sold in. A little cloth for cleaning glasses, if you wear them (synthetic clothing doesn't work well for this). A notebook for essential contact info, coded logins/passwords (if you need them) and a pen (even if you have a phone) and a pen. Insurance cards. For first aid, bandaids, antibiotic cream, ace bandage, painkillers, moleskin.

Blue Mountain Edward
01-24-2014, 14:10
Soap, flashlight or headlamp, sugar for your coffee and tea, bandaids. Maps or GPS in case you get flooded of the trail. Extra underwear in case you eat some bad tacos.

johnnybgood
01-24-2014, 14:11
Water purification drops
BIC lighter( if you bringing a stove
AT guide
Moleskin for developing hot spots .
The one thing I often forget is extra batteries for the headlamp.

4eyedbuzzard
01-24-2014, 14:16
In my freezer baggie first aid kit:

Nailclippers (but only if out for more than a week, which is rare for me).
Tweezers (good pointed machined jaw ones) to remove ticks, splinters, etc.
Small needle (drain blisters)
Single edge razor blade.
Leukotape 12" on non-stick backing paper (better than moleskin for blisters IMO) [TY to BPL for the backing paper idea]
Mini superglue (gear repairs and small cuts).
Two Immodium in blister pack. (diarrhea)
Two Benadryl in blister pack. (stings/allergic reactions)
Two aspirin in foil pack. (heart attack)
Small plastic mirror.
Two small fabric bandaids, one large one.
Two alcohol wipes.
Two q-tips in cellophane wrapper. (samples I picked up somewhere)
Small foil packet of Neosporin (triple anti-biotic ointment).
Mini eyeglass repair kit.
Backup mini bic lighter.

About 4 oz total without the nail clippers.

Tipi Walter
01-24-2014, 14:19
Eye sty cream for when you get something in your eye which does not come out for several days. The cream offers some relief.

Crown replacement glue. I was out on a 19 day trip in November 2013 when a tooth crown popped off on Day 1 of the trip and I had a little tiny tube of crown glue and Voila replaced it and it's still on w/o a visit to the dentist.

max patch
01-24-2014, 14:22
Crown replacement glue. I was out on a 19 day trip in November 2013 when a tooth crown popped off on Day 1 of the trip and I had a little tiny tube of crown glue and Voila replaced it and it's still on w/o a visit to the dentist.

Thats a good one. Is that an OTC item?

Hill Ape
01-24-2014, 14:25
its not about what you do or dont bring, with towns accessible every 3-5 days all of those little things can be worked out when the need arises, short of an actual emergency you can push through most anything to the next town. you learn quick what you want to carry all the time, the rest is no huge sacrifice to wait for

Tipi Walter
01-24-2014, 14:28
Thats a good one. Is that an OTC item?

Yes.---------

4eyedbuzzard
01-24-2014, 14:40
Forgot to mention - large enough zip lock for trash and of course, "mountain money" (toilet paper). It's amazing how many people, including myself, have forgotten toilet paper at times.

Of the items I mentioned, the most used have been: tweezers by far - have removed splinters on myself and others from picnic tables and shelters, and also a few ticks and a bee stinger once; the eyeglass repair kit has been used twice - but ironically, never on my own glasses; the Benadryl once for a bee sting; and the needle and tape to drain a blister I got wearing new boots while hiking in VT.

Tipi Walter
01-24-2014, 14:50
Forgot to mention - large enough zip lock for trash and of course, "mountain money" (toilet paper). It's amazing how many people, including myself, have forgotten toilet paper at times.

Of the items I mentioned, the most used have been: tweezers by far - have removed splinters on myself and others from picnic tables and shelters, and also a few ticks and a bee stinger once; the eyeglass repair kit has been used twice - but ironically, never on my own glasses; the Benadryl once for a bee sting; and the needle and tape to drain a blister I got wearing new boots while hiking in VT.

Several months ago I was on a long trip and squatting by a fire pit to burn some trash. I laid my eyeglasses on the ground while watching the small fire in a squat postion. I got up and IMMEDIATELY STEPPED ON THE BLASTED GLASSES, crushing them flat. Wonderful. Luckily they were prescription shades and I always carry my regular glasses, too. I rebent the things and several weeks later went to the eye doctor place and had them "readjust" the frames. After 20 long minutes they came back out and said, "What the heck happened to these??". They fixed them perfectly and I couldn't bear to say I stepped on them. "Got in a knife fight with a Hell's Angel . . ." sounded good but I said nothing.

Pedaling Fool
01-24-2014, 15:30
I have the 3 C's
- Camera
- Cheese
- Crown Royal

AkaMirage
01-24-2014, 15:36
I'm not nearly as seasoned as most posting here, but I can tell you that I was pretty miserable when I didn't think to take along medications for seasonal allergies... Moleskin has saved my heels on many an occasion too!

daddytwosticks
01-24-2014, 16:06
4eyedbuzzard is the winner! TOILET PAPER! :)

Odd Man Out
01-24-2014, 16:08
+1 on the clippers. Scissors just don't work for me, but I'm very prone to toenail inflammation/infections.

Also Vaseline. Good all purpose ointment, especially for those places where the sun doesn't shine. Doubles as a fire starter.

billreillyjr
01-24-2014, 16:23
needle and thread

Dogwood
01-24-2014, 16:37
Lovely and more experienced? LOL. Essential but forgotten seems like an inauspicious start to a hike. For the AT: Your brain, duck tape, eyeglasses, meds, knife(mine usually has two blades that I hone before every hike, can opener, tweezers, pick, one,flat/one Phillips screw driver), small WP paper notebook/journal w/ Space pen(writes in rain, cold, upside down), info for bank accts/credit cards/Medical&Dental Insurance Cards(acct numbers)/those who you may have to contact quickly(MD, pharmacy, family, bank, job, etc), ID, SS#, CASH, simple practical First Aid kit(includes Aspirin(pain reliever or anti inflammatory)/Immodium/benadryl), familiarization with all your gear before hitting the trail, knowing or having two ways to start a fire, broken in or dialed in shoes/shoe system(shoes, socks, orthotics, gaiters, laces, etc), for Newbies or those prone to blisters Body Glide or equivalent knowledge on how to prevent/address blisters, practical usable for your purposes headlamp or equivalent w/ a couple extra batteries, a basic understanding of the AT's character and how that factors into you hiking it.

I liked HillApe's point. On the AT you'll have access to a town every 2-6 days so that factors into what may seem essential. For example, I wouldn't carry nail clippers or sunscreen. Those items are easily, cheaply, and regularly found. My essentials are that which get me to safety in an emergency.

mcstick
01-24-2014, 16:51
I always bring six or so rubberbands. I've never used them for anything. That said, I consider them essential, although I have no idea why.

max patch
01-24-2014, 16:53
needle and thread

Thats a good one. Make sure your needle is strong enough for the toughest part of your pack. I learned to sew on my thru. :)

max patch
01-24-2014, 16:55
I liked HillApe's point. On the AT you'll have access to a town every 2-6 days so that factors into what may seem essential. For example, I wouldn't carry nail clippers or sunscreen. Those items are easily, cheaply, and regularly found. My essentials are that which get me to safety in an emergency.

Good list, but if you don't carry sunscreen by the time you reach Neels you just may have wished you had.

ALLEGHENY
01-24-2014, 16:57
A smile ;)

m_factor
01-24-2014, 17:01
For your first aid kit, only carry what you know how to use. That said, I would add one safety pin to those items listed by others. Pinning the bottom of your shirt up can make a serviceable sling if necessary.

In addition to sun screen, don't forget lip balm with some SPF element. Your lips can burn and get chapped easily in the spring.

Some sort of chafing relief is recommended. I used Gold Bond on the trail but have since discovered Chafing Relief Powder-Gel which goes on like a gel but feels like a powder. It's strange but wonderful. More about chafing: http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/chafing.html

In a bad year, you may want a head net to keep out the mosquitoes.

Don't forget about your trail documentation. Guide book and maps are essential. Even if you go electronic for the books, carry paper maps. You may not need them to follow the trail, but in emergencies, they are essential for getting out as quickly as possible. In '99, I minimized weight and bulk with judicious photcopying: http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/documentation.html

Whistle. Will keep going long after your voice dies.

dmax
01-24-2014, 17:05
I have a couple of small safety pins attached to the outside of the pack. If my nail clippers don't get out a splinter, hopefully these will. They will also quick fix a rip in clothing, pack, etc... Duct tape on trekking pole..

Tipi Walter
01-24-2014, 17:07
Thats a good one. Make sure your needle is strong enough for the toughest part of your pack. I learned to sew on my thru. :)

I always carry two needles "pre-loaded" with heavyweight waxed dental floss wrapped around each needle and ready to go. Needles break and bend, etc. For real pack work you'll need an awl of some sort to get thru webbing, which I do not carry.

Spirit Walker
01-24-2014, 17:09
A large collapsible container for water. On the AT there are places where the spring is 1/4-1/2 mile from the shelter. You only want to make that trip once. REI used to sell a good plastic water bag in a nylon container that you could hang in a tree. I would use it as a shower of sorts when I wanted to wash up in the woods away from the shelter or I would just get a gallon or so to get me through the night. Some people used wine bags.

If you are starting early, a light balaclava to keep your face from freezing as you hike is also a necessity. I liked using lightweight gloves to hike in and had heavier wool ones for night.

max patch
01-24-2014, 17:24
A large collapsible container for water.

I mailed mine home in Damascus as I only used it twice.

I think the OP is going to find out that the same item may be essential to one person, a "nice to have" to another, and unnecessary weight to another.

Dogwood
01-24-2014, 17:28
I always bring six or so rubberbands. I've never used them for anything. That said, I consider them essential, although I have no idea why.

Maybe you should put one on your wrist and snap it hard regularly so you you can remember why you brought them?:D

Hot Flash
01-24-2014, 17:31
. On the AT you'll have access to a town every 2-6 days so that factors into what may seem essential. For example, I wouldn't carry nail clippers or sunscreen. Those items are easily, cheaply, and regularly found. .

Sunscreen isn't a luxury, and isn't something you want to put off using for 2-6 days if you need it. Not only do you not want to get a sunburn, but you sure as hell don't want to get a sunburn on top of your sunburn. Easily preventable by carrying only a couple ounces more weight.

Tipi Walter
01-24-2014, 17:39
A large collapsible container for water. On the AT there are places where the spring is 1/4-1/2 mile from the shelter. You only want to make that trip once. REI used to sell a good plastic water bag in a nylon container that you could hang in a tree. I would use it as a shower of sorts when I wanted to wash up in the woods away from the shelter or I would just get a gallon or so to get me through the night. Some people used wine bags.

One time a couple years ago I was caught in a bad cold snap at 5,000 in -10F temps and resorted to using a gallon ziploc to haul water into camp because I could pour it into my pot if needed for cooking and in the morning rip the bag apart to dislodge the frozen chunk of water when it was time to pack and move.

Dogwood
01-24-2014, 17:41
The AT is often called the "green tunnel" for a reason. Take sunscreen and sunglasses on an AT thru-hike if you feel it essential. I don't though because an AT thru-hike is largely a forested somewhat shady long distance hike. PCT different story, IMHO.

I preface Maxpatch, "I think the OP is going to find out that the same item may be essential to one person, a "nice to have" to another, and unnecessary weight to another."

Dogwood
01-24-2014, 17:44
I always carry two needles "pre-loaded" with heavyweight waxed dental floss wrapped around each needle and ready to go. Needles break and bend, etc. For real pack work you'll need an awl of some sort to get thru webbing, which I do not carry.

I'm surprised that you haven't cached an extra needle and spool of thread/floss somewhere in Slickrock? You're slipping.:D

Tipi Walter
01-24-2014, 17:48
I'm surprised that you haven't cached an extra needle and spool of thread/floss somewhere in Slickrock? You're slipping.:D

I just stashed a pair of leather trailwork gloves but dangit I can't remember where I put them.

max patch
01-24-2014, 17:50

I figured he humped a real sewing machine.

Dogwood
01-24-2014, 17:54
50 yrs from now people are going to be finding all kinds of stuff in the area where you now hike that you've forgotten about or lost or left behind. Look George an old pr of leather gloves. They look like they are very old , like they've been here a long time. I wonder how they got here? :p Tipi Tipi Tipi Walter king of the wild frontier.:p

Chair-man
01-24-2014, 18:01
Could a few of you lovely people more experienced on the AT than myself please post list of those items that you feel should be brought along? Not shelter, stove, sleeping bag and similarly obvious items, but those items that are commonly forgotten about while one is prepping for their hike.

This has already been mentioned but I think It's worth mentioning again. A pair of FINE POINT TWEEZERS for ticks. Regular tweezers are not what you want. Here's a link that shows how to properly remove a tick.
(http://www.lymeneteurope.org/info/tick-removal)

Matthew82
01-24-2014, 18:11
Ugh... Toilet paper... I would much prefer a bidet. If you stick your hand in some mess you don't just wipe it off and call it a day, but sacrifices must be made!

I appreciate all the suggestions, more than once I had a "Oh yeah" moment, though I agree with the one poster who said that some items one person may find essential, may not be so essential for myself. I'm just not big on carrying a bunch of stuff. Pretty much what I need and maybe a pint of good VSOP for those social moments. I know I'll be able to pick stuff up along the way if needed, but I'd prefer not having a bonehead moment and leaving out an obvious need. TP being a prime example!

max patch
01-24-2014, 18:17
Pretty much what I need and maybe a pint of good VSOP for those social moments.

No no no. All us cool kids drink Knob Creek. Or we drink nothing at all.

Drybones
01-24-2014, 19:30
Small roll of Kenyon clear tape...repairs sleeping bags, jackets, tents...I have a 6" tent rip, sleeping bag rip and several fire ember holes in my down jacket that have been repaired with it...weighs nothing. If you get a hole in a down product repair or lose your your down.

Knife with a sharp point...cuts the cheese, beef stick and removes spinters...I emphasis, sharp point.

A small bottle of New Skin...best blister treatment I've found so far.

I carry two small, partially used, rolls of toilet paper (without the cardboard tube) in zip lock bags in case one gets wet or I leave one in the woods.

Last Call
01-24-2014, 19:42
Fire-starters, or a dozen or so instant-light charcoal briquettes are nice to have.

Matthew82
01-24-2014, 19:50
No no no. All us cool kids drink Knob Creek. Or we drink nothing at all.

Than I suppose I'm not going to be drinking with the cool kids... Besides, I'm not drinking 'knob' anything... (Truth is, I'm not a huge drinker, but I do enjoy sipping a bit of brandy with a new face. Laughter and brandy are always the best ways to begin and end a friendship)

RockDoc
01-24-2014, 20:56
We had to buy wide athletic tape (better than moleskin) for taping heels at Hiawasee, and then sunscreen at the NOC.
that's about it.

Southeast
01-24-2014, 21:11
Blow torch and extra burning clothes

rocketsocks
01-24-2014, 21:12
just added this to my kit...works pretty good.

Just Jack
01-24-2014, 21:16
Don't think anybody has mentioned hand sanitizer--probably Purell

rocketsocks
01-24-2014, 21:17

oh Snap...wrong picture! :o

Deadeye
01-24-2014, 21:21
A tick removal tool ( I like the tick key better than tweezers)

An assortment of zip ties

rocketsocks
01-24-2014, 21:23
A tick removal tool ( I like the tick key better than tweezers)

An assortment of zip ties
agreed, those tick keys are thee best removal tool, hands down!

fiddlehead
01-24-2014, 21:25
Except for toilet paper, this thread reminds me of all the stuff that you should probably send home because you don't need it, or can get it in the next town if you do need it.
A few good ideas: TP, ear plugs, handkerchief, needle and dental floss.
A few bad ones: sunglasses and sun screen (I am always amazed that people would take these on the AT, where you will be lucky to see the sun once in a while), extra batteries (did you come to hike, or stay up reading books at night?)

HikerMom58
01-24-2014, 21:31
Except for toilet paper, this thread reminds me of all the stuff that you should probably send home because you don't need it, or can get it in the next town if you do need it.
A few bad ones: sunglasses and sun screen (I am always amazed that people would take these on the AT, where you will be lucky to see the sun once in a while), extra batteries (did you come to hike, or stay up reading books at night?)

No, that's not a bad idea... when you are hiking before the leaves are fully out on the trees in GA, in April, or hiking thru PA's open fields, this is a problem... sun burn. Seriously. Just to name a few reasons. ...

rocketsocks
01-24-2014, 21:32
hehehe...fiddlehead, how's it goin man...I gotta say though as an insomniac, blue eyed light sensitive, late night reader/listener...for me...the glasses stay. now I always have a small pile of crap that I could certainly do with out, So I hear from where you come.

MuddyWaters
01-24-2014, 21:39
Sunscreen isn't a luxury, and isn't something you want to put off using for 2-6 days if you need it. Not only do you not want to get a sunburn, but you sure as hell don't want to get a sunburn on top of your sunburn. Easily preventable by carrying only a couple ounces more weight.

Some people get a bit pink before leaf-out when there is a string of hot sunny days, but generally you dont need sunscreen on the AT, or sunglasses.
Even where it might be needed out west, most hikers will depend on clothing and hat for sun protection, not slathering on smelly sticky chemicals. Of course, in low humidity 90F you can comfortably hike in long sleeves out west, not so on the AT. Good thing for tree cover.

rocketsocks
01-24-2014, 21:47
alrighty, I guess I'll make another pitch for sunglasses. Not lookin to have a peeing match over it though...just want to point out that most every mapped view or vista has no trees by design, and on real windy days glasses can be a life saver.....that is all.

rocketsocks
01-24-2014, 22:03
ok, just re-read the OP requirements...sunglasses nice to have, but essential? probably not.

HikerMom58
01-24-2014, 22:13
Some people get a bit pink before leaf-out when there is a string of hot sunny days, but generally you dont need sunscreen on the AT, or sunglasses.
Even where it might be needed out west, most hikers will depend on clothing and hat for sun protection, not slathering on smelly sticky chemicals. Of course, in low humidity 90F you can comfortably hike in long sleeves out west, not so on the AT. Good thing for tree cover.

Nope MW.. you are wrong... Hikers were turning more than a lil pink when my daughter was hiking in 2010. Sunburn on the AT was a real problem. Hikers were not all wearing long sleeves, long pants and hats.. it was really warm... shorts and short sleeves is what they were wearing. SUNBLOCK was needed!

Slo-go'en
01-24-2014, 22:24
alrighty, I guess I'll make another pitch for sunglasses. Not lookin to have a peeing match over it though...just want to point out that most every mapped view or vista has no trees by design, and on real windy days glasses can be a life saver.....that is all.

I bought a pair of persciption sunglasses and found I can't hike with them - they screw up my depth perception some how. If I have to look at my feet, I start to trip on the rocks since thier not where they look like they are. Wierd. Sunblock can be handy in the early days of spring since there is no shade and most of us start out pale as Casper the ghost. It doesn't take long to get a bad case of sunburn.

Anyone mension a sewing kit? That saved me last trip when my pack waist strap nearly came off the thing which held it to the rest of the pack. Be sure to include a thimble to push a needle through heavy or thick matterial.

Rocket Jones
01-24-2014, 22:56
My "repair kit" includes the previously mentioned duct tape, needle and thread, 2 safety pins, a couple of small zip ties, a couple of paper clips (stiff wire can sometimes be exactly what you need), rubber band or two, and a binder clip which works great as a clamp when you're trying to sew or repair things. Not counting the tape, the total weight is half an ounce.

rocketsocks
01-24-2014, 22:58
I bought a pair of persciption sunglasses and found I can't hike with them - they screw up my depth perception some how. If I have to look at my feet, I start to trip on the rocks since thier not where they look like they are. Wierd. Sunblock can be handy in the early days of spring since there is no shade and most of us start out pale as Casper the ghost. It doesn't take long to get a bad case of sunburn.

Anyone mension a sewing kit? That saved me last trip when my pack waist strap nearly came off the thing which held it to the rest of the pack. Be sure to include a thimble to push a needle through heavy or thick matterial.
I have that same problem with my depth when wearing prescription sunglasses, in addition to feeling like I'm only three foot tall...kind of a vertical depth perception if you will. I don't like it, so I just wear my cheapies.

MuddyWaters
01-24-2014, 23:24
Nope MW.. you are wrong... Hikers were turning more than a lil pink when my daughter was hiking in 2010. Sunburn on the AT was a real problem. Hikers were not all wearing long sleeves, long pants and hats.. it was really warm... shorts and short sleeves is what they were wearing. SUNBLOCK was needed!

From fishing offshore in the Gulf of Mexico, to hiking out west, I dont wear sunblock, I wear clothing.
When I go to the beach, I dont wear sunblock. I go before 10am, and after 3 pm.

Its only one option.
Golite sells several long sleeve 4-6oz shirts with SPF 50 or so, lighter than many SS shirts.
And refreshingly cool if you wet it now and then in hot weather. Out west where it very low humidity, it can dry so fast it gets quite COLD while its drying.

Sunblock doesnt completely protect from skin cancer btw. Some researchers believe it exascerbates it by allowing people to spend time in the sun their body otherwise wouldnt permit.

Dogwood
01-24-2014, 23:29
This is what I thought would happen. Essential dissolves into easycentral? TP is not an essential either IF you know what a smooth stick, rounded rock, handful of ferns/leaves, etc are. Disgusted by the amount of TP notes I come across on the AT.

HikerMom58
01-24-2014, 23:37
From fishing offshore in the Gulf of Mexico, to hiking out west, I dont wear sunblock, I wear clothing.
When I go to the beach, I dont wear sunblock. I go before 10am, and after 3 pm.

Its only one option.
Golite sells several long sleeve 4-6oz shirts with SPF 50 or so, lighter than many SS shirts.
And refreshingly cool if you wet it now and then in hot weather. Out west where it very low humidity, it can dry so fast it gets quite COLD while its drying.

Sunblock doesnt protect from skin cancer btw.

Well, we can agree that SUNBLOCK is needed! :D If you block the sun from a sunburn with clothes, that works. :p

fiddlehead
01-24-2014, 23:39
This is what I thought would happen. Essential dissolves into easycentral? TP is not an essential either IF you know what a smooth stick, rounded rock, handful of ferns/leaves, etc are. Disgusted by the amount of TP notes I come across on the AT.

Here in Asia, they just use water.
Probably more sanitary (depending on how much water you have available and if you know how to use it)
I've switched.
But for hiking, would still carry TP because water is such a luxury sometimes.
What thru-hiker doesn't bury their TP?

Hot Flash
01-24-2014, 23:51
This has already been mentioned but I think It's worth mentioning again. A pair of FINE POINT TWEEZERS for ticks. Regular tweezers are not what you want. Here's a link that shows how to properly remove a tick.
(http://www.lymeneteurope.org/info/tick-removal)

Tick key works much better.

Dogwood
01-25-2014, 00:09
[QUOTE=fiddlehead;1838894...What thru-hiker doesn't bury their TP?[/QUOTE]

Do you really want me to answer that? :rolleyes: ....nicely? :rolleyes: Still those little piles of rocks/soil, duff, etc with the tell tale TP sticking out of the cathole are WAAAAY to frequently experienced for my liking.

Chair-man
01-25-2014, 00:43
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Chair-man http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1838708#post1838708)
This has already been mentioned but I think It's worth mentioning again. A pair of FINE POINT TWEEZERS for ticks. Regular tweezers are not what you want. Here's a link that shows how to properly remove a tick. (http://www.lymeneteurope.org/info/tick-removal)

Tick key works much better.

I would say for the average tick your probably right. I'm not a tick expert but here's what the article says. "There are several tick removal tools, but not every tick removal device works well, especially the tiny larvae or nymph ticks ("seed" ticks) and large engorged ticks are often difficult to remove."

I once had a tick that I thought was just walking on my leg and I didn't think it was embedded so I grabbed it with my fingers to throw it off. As it turned out, it had already started to bore in and stuck a little bit as I pulled it off. A small part of the tick may have been left in the skin because the area was a bit irritating for a few days afterwords. I kept the area clean with alcohol and peroxide and it soon healed and I never became sick. This was in Florida where Lyme is rare. I now treat every tick I see with a bit more caution.

Starvin Marvin
01-25-2014, 00:45
Patch kit for an air pad, for those carrying an air pad.

George
01-25-2014, 03:57

what is the temperature rating on that

4eyedbuzzard
01-25-2014, 04:09
I have used leaves in the past, but was very careful selecting them to avoid poisonous plants - but a rock or stick?

"Hey, Buzzard, you're walkin' kind of funny this morning!"
"Yeah man, I got some splinters from wiping my butt with a stick."
"You wiped your butt with a what?"
"Shut up man or I'll hit you upside your head with this $#!tty rock."

Here in Asia, they just use water.
Probably more sanitary (depending on how much water you have available and if you know how to use it)
I've switched.
But for hiking, would still carry TP because water is such a luxury sometimes.
What thru-hiker doesn't bury their TP?
I've seen what passes for sanitation in Asia. I'll stick to TP.

aficion
01-25-2014, 05:36
The only essential outside the big 4 are food, layered clothing, and rain protection for you and your gear.

fiddlehead
01-25-2014, 11:30
The only essential outside the big 4 are food, layered clothing, and rain protection for you and your gear.

And maybe a spoon.
(I lost one once and it wasn't easy dealing without)

squeezebox
01-25-2014, 11:53
Bidet - I guess you could bring the bottom half of a qt. milk jug to use as a bidet, maybe with a dedicated washcloth.
As a cyclist contact info is necessary if you get knocked unconscious there info to contact family, physician, current meds etc.
but maybe it's not an issue for hikers.

Son Driven
01-25-2014, 11:59
iodine - primary, or back up water purification, and injury cleanser.

RedBeerd
01-25-2014, 12:32
My pack just got a whole lot heavier

Matthew82
01-25-2014, 14:35
Some people seem way to sensitive about gear issues... (I'm not forming this opinion from this thread only, but from the many I've been reading in the past few weeks) It's going to be alright people. I don't even really want to ask anymore questions, being opinionated is fine, but having an opinionated attitude is annoying.

This was directed at no one in general, just an observation. =D

rocketsocks
01-25-2014, 16:00
what is the temperature rating on thatSmokin' Hot:D

rocketsocks
01-25-2014, 16:05
I have used leaves in the past, but was very careful selecting them to avoid poisonous plants - but a rock or stick?

"Hey, Buzzard, you're walkin' kind of funny this morning!"
"Yeah man, I got some splinters from wiping my butt with a stick."
"You wiped your butt with a what?"
"Shut up man or I'll hit you upside your head with this $#!tty rock."

I've seen what passes for sanitation in Asia. I'll stick to TP.there is nothin like wiping an Asp across your bum in the mornin...woah buddy!:eek:

max patch
01-25-2014, 16:11
i think when a thread about "essential" items starts talking about portable bidets that the thread has outlived its usefulness.

I

4eyedbuzzard
01-25-2014, 16:35
i think when a thread about "essential" items starts talking about portable bidets that the thread has outlived its usefulness.

Ihttp://www.biffy.com/squirt-travel-bidet.html?___store=default&gclid=CLfOvKWWmrwCFSUS7Aod7U0AyA
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Blue-Bidet-Portable-Bidet-BB-20/203831695
Or maybe not :o :confused: ?
They wouldn't make 'em if people didn't want 'em and buy 'em.

1azarus
01-25-2014, 18:59
Earplugs...
Sooooo light and soooo useful in snoring emergencies

squeezebox
01-25-2014, 20:36
Keeping your butt clean is pretty important. and the bottom of a qt. milk jug might weigh less than an OH stove.

rocketsocks
01-25-2014, 20:48
http://www.biffy.com/squirt-travel-bidet.html?___store=default&gclid=CLfOvKWWmrwCFSUS7Aod7U0AyA
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Blue-Bidet-Portable-Bidet-BB-20/203831695
Or maybe not :o :confused: ?
They wouldn't make 'em if people didn't want 'em and buy 'em.Oh I can just see it now...

oh cool, your makin a water run? could ya get some for me? I'm down about quart for my Bidet.

:eek:sure bud, no problem, do you want a heated bandana with that?

heck yeah, if you got one

:eek:want me to powder your bottom too?

why not....thanks dude:)

:cool: oy vey

handlebar
01-25-2014, 21:36
Nail clippers the scissors on my tiny Swiss Army knife keeps finger- and toenails clipped quite well. There's even a nail file.

rickb
01-26-2014, 10:14
I would research Lyme and ticks, then write down exactly what I'd do what if I found an embedded tick given how long it had been attached, and what I observed. I might even laminate this and keep it with my ID. I would also make sure I had a prophylactic course of an appropriate antibiotic-- which could be as little as two pills based on my research.

Dogwood
01-26-2014, 16:44
Les Stroud, Bear Gryllis, Tom Brown, uh hem, Cody Lundgren, would get a real laugh reading the "essentials" left behind that should be brought along opinions.

Astro
01-26-2014, 22:13
Good list, but if you don't carry sunscreen by the time you reach Neels you just may have wished you had.

Perhaps it is because I grew up in South Florida, but I never take sun screen, and most of my hiking is in the summer.

Wise Old Owl
01-26-2014, 22:55
oh Snap...wrong picture! :o

damn that's funny... sucks to have those 45 year old moments... isnt that when they start? wait till those young ones catch up... ha....

bfayer
01-26-2014, 23:13
Some people seem way to sensitive about gear issues... (I'm not forming this opinion from this thread only, but from the many I've been reading in the past few weeks) It's going to be alright people. I don't even really want to ask anymore questions, being opinionated is fine, but having an opinionated attitude is annoying.

This was directed at no one in general, just an observation. =D

Don't let folks on here scare you away. You are right about some people on here having strong opinions, but the good news is you don't have to read them if you don't want to.

Gear is a funny thing, people get emotionally attached to stuff they use, and then they feel the need to defend it against others who feel their gear is better. In the over all scheme of things gear is just stuff, no reason to get worked up about it, so don't worry about the opinionated folks, and don't let them stop you from asking questions. Some of the most experienced hikers in the world are on this forum, it wont take long to figure out who to listen to and who not to.

By the way I'm just a weekend section hiking nobody, so there is no reason to listen to me even though I am usually right :)

As for the original question: Lip balm. everyone seems to forget their chapstick.

max patch
01-26-2014, 23:19
Perhaps it is because I grew up in South Florida, but I never take sun screen, and most of my hiking is in the summer.

You don't need it in the summer as you are in the long green tunnel. Thru hikers need it if they start before the trees leaf out in GA. Lot of thrus get sunburned in GA.

HikerMom58
01-26-2014, 23:20
Don't let folks on here scare you away. You are right about some people on here having strong opinions, but the good news is you don't have to read them if you don't want to.

Gear is a funny thing, people get emotionally attached to stuff they use, and then they feel the need to defend it against others who feel their gear is better. In the over all scheme of things gear is just stuff, no reason to get worked up about it, so don't worry about the opinionated folks, and don't let them stop you from asking questions. Some of the most experienced hikers in the world are on this forum, it wont take long to figure out who to listen to and who not to.

By the way I'm just a weekend section hiking nobody, so there is no reason to listen to me even though I am usually right :)

As for the original question: Lip balm. everyone seems to forget their chapstick.

Bfayer is right Matthew82!! Bfayer helped me when I was new on the site. I got my toes stepped on all the time. It hurt. Bfayer and many others helped me to hang in there. I'm glad I did.

We want you here too, Matthew82.

Btw... Bfayer is a great guy & he is usually right! ;) Chapstick is a good one!

aficion
01-27-2014, 06:12
And maybe a spoon.
(I lost one once and it wasn't easy dealing without)

Happened to me too. I made one out of wood, with my non-essential knife, and carried it for years. It was a sad day in paradise when I wore that sucker out.:mad:

bfayer
01-27-2014, 07:49
Happened to me too. I made one out of wood, with my non-essential knife, and carried it for years. It was a sad day in paradise when I wore that sucker out.:mad:

There is no better piece of gear than one you make yourself!

I still carry a first aid kit pouch that I made out of an old red gym bag back when I was in high school in the 70s. Its a lot heavier than other options, but it has gone with me on virtually every hike since 1978.

If I can add another entry - leukotape. Not cheap, but sticks to everything.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

rickb
01-27-2014, 08:16
I would research Lyme and ticks, then write down exactly what I'd do what if I found an embedded tick given how long it had been attached, and what I observed. I might even laminate this and keep it with my ID. I would also make sure I had a prophylactic course of an appropriate antibiotic-- which could be as little as two pills based on my research.

I just wanted to follow up on my own post, because this is potentially important (though everyone obviously needs to come to their own conclusions).

Conventional wisdoms seems to be that if you remove an embedded tick quickly (something like within 24 hours) the risk of Lyme disease is minimal. Do your own research on that as I am no expert. You need to be.

If the tick is on somewhat longer, a good deal of information is out ther to suggest that a single dose of doxycycline is a helpful preventiive but--and this is the important part-- only if you take it within something like 72 hours.

Ticks area a fact of life, and no need to freak out in advance of even having one. No need to freak out if you get bit either, but please know what you would do before you find one-- and don't find yourself thinking back to this post saying "****, I should have listened to Rickb as you do your internet research from your iPhone on the Trail."

A couple pills weigh nothing, and might take weight off your mind.

Migrating Bird
01-27-2014, 08:47
This is the tick removal tool I swear by. http://www.otom.com/how-to-remove-a-tick It is so easy, they tick always comes out alive giving one great pleasure in devising evil ways to dispatch said tick. This is an essential item for me.

max patch
01-27-2014, 10:23
Conventional wisdoms seems to be that if you remove an embedded tick quickly (something like within 24 hours) the risk of Lyme disease is minimal. Do your own research on that as I am no expert. You need to be.

If the tick is on somewhat longer, a good deal of information is out ther to suggest that a single dose of doxycycline is a helpful preventiive but--and this is the important part-- only if you take it within something like 72 hours.

Thanks for posting this Rick. I have no idea if what Rick says is true, but I am going to take his advice and do the research. After hearing from people who have contracted lyme - the cost and weight of the pills are certainly worth taking if they have even a chance of working.

q-tip
01-27-2014, 10:31
I always seem to forget to take enough plastic bags, especially for trash.....

coach lou
01-27-2014, 10:36
This is the tick removal tool I swear by. http://www.otom.com/how-to-remove-a-tick It is so easy, they tick always comes out alive giving one great pleasure in devising evil ways to dispatch said tick. This is an essential item for me.
Awesome tool!!!

Rolls Kanardly
01-27-2014, 17:41
Duct tape wrapped around an empty toilet paper tube. Fill the empty tube with whatever to use the empty space say a small towel.

Kerosene
01-27-2014, 17:47
Duct tape wrapped around an empty toilet paper tube. Fill the empty tube with whatever to use the empty space say a small towel.I wrap mine around a small piece of plastic straw. You can also wrap it around the top of your trekking poles; just keep the length balanced.

Just Bill
01-27-2014, 20:49
The two most forgotten items by nearly every aspiring thru-hiker-
(this isn't a rant- but a serious tip)

1-Knowledge-
Pick up a book. Not a story of someone's hike, but an actual backpacking book. (I like Trail Life, by Ray Jardine if i had to pick one) Just reading one book will vastly improve your experience on the trail.

Learn how to use your stuff. I have run into folks in many locations who simply check off the list and don't know how to use the stuff they bring; the hiker with a sewing kit who can't sew, tick pliers but no idea how to use them, moleskin but no idea what a hot spot is- and the list goes on. It really doesn't matter what you bring, just that you know how to use it, and therefore brought it for a reason. Even if you were wrong, at least you put some thought into it. If you don't know how to use something- why is it even in your pack?

Learn how to take care of your stuff. Picked up that sweet new sawyer filter- but never read the instructions about not letting it freeze? Tossed that $400 dollar sleeping bag into the dryer at the first hostel and cooked it? Serious financial catastrophies in the form of budget draining gear replacements are often the result of failing to learn how to use or take care of the gear you brought.

2-Experience-
Take a tune up trip- even if it's just your backyard. Camp in the yard, pack up your stuff and walk around the block a few times. All the; why don't items pack as small as they did when I bought them, where do I put my garbage, I need one more stake, what do I do with this disgusting wet tent after a rain, why is that lump poking my back all the time, and the world famous, "oops i forgot...." questions can be solved and corrected- even from your dorm room.

Play the what if game- You may not be able to get in any real tune-up trips- but you can go on mental ones. While you are daydreaming of your upcoming trip, play the what if game. What if my sleeping bag gets wet? What if I don't have enough clothes, or too many clothes? What if I forget to bring my sawyer filter into my bag and it freezes? What if a creepy dude shows up? What if it's harder than I thought.

Playing this game is a great way to not only gain experience, but a great way to make your trip successful. A thru is a mental challenge- so tune up your mind, challenge yourself mentally and when the tough stuff comes you'll be more experienced at solving problems. If nothing else- What if you don't have an answer to a problem while playing the what-if game? Guess you need to find an answer- and in doing so gain experience without ever setting foot on the trail. Loosing a round of the what-if game is much more pleasant than loosing the OH-S*$#%! game on the trail.

Have fun - Lot's of us wish we could join you.

BuckeyeBill
01-28-2014, 15:12

Nice tool MB. O found this one (https://www.sawyersafetravel2.com/product_info.php?products_id=134) Made by Sawyer.