PDA

View Full Version : Budgeting!

threepointrest
01-24-2014, 14:19
Money is a scary thing :(

I'm a high school senior, and I'm planning an AT thru-hike for after graduation- Hoping to start in Feb 2015

After doing a bit of research, I've come up with a rough budget.

Budget:
The AT is ~2200 miles long. I'm hoping to average 12 miles/day (accounting for break days, etc), so it should take about 183 days total.

$10/day for food = 183 x 10 = 1830
20% of food budget for trail expenses (fuel, etc.) = 1830 x 1.2 = 2196
$100 per night, allowing for a night in town every 2 weeks = 2196 + (183 / 14 x 100) = 2966
$1000 for gear = 2966 + 1000 = 3966
$300 for emergency/medical = 3966 + 300 = 4266

Total: $4266

Obviously as a high school student, I don't have to worry about making up for money not earned during the trip, nor do I have to worry about getting taxes in on time or other aspects of the "grown up world."

Based on your experience, is this accurate? Realistic?
Also, any tips on coming up with that money would be greatly appreciated... I currently have a little less than $200 saved up, which is hardly a drop in the bucket. I'm applying for summer jobs now, but would like to get as much of the funds as I can before then.

Thank you!

Hill Ape
01-24-2014, 14:33
not including gear, on trail costs average a little above $1000 per month, puely unscientific number, like all internet stats. plenty of people have made an art form of dirtbagging, and the people for whom money isn't a concern (trust fund types) can easily spend more

money is hands down the number one reason people drop off

perrymk
01-24-2014, 14:43
Also, any tips on coming up with that money would be greatly appreciated... I currently have a little less than $200 saved up, which is hardly a drop in the bucket. I'm applying for summer jobs now, but would like to get as much of the funds as I can before then.
Can you work in the evening or weekends now? bag groceries, mow lawns, babysit, pet sit, deliver pizzas, work for a local moving company, wash cars for a large used car lot, etc.

Coffee
01-24-2014, 14:45
In high school, I made around $600/month delivering about 200 newspapers each morning. That was very good money back in the late 1980s. Unfortunately I'm not sure that type of job exists anymore. Between papers and a minimum wage job I was pulling down about $12K/year in junior and senior years and I was able to save most of it.

threepointrest
01-24-2014, 14:50
Can you work in the evening or weekends now? bag groceries, mow lawns, babysit, pet sit, deliver pizzas, work for a local moving company, wash cars for a large used car lot, etc.

I wish... But I'm stuck at boarding school in NH. Not many job opportunities here :/

perrymk
01-24-2014, 14:53
I know just about nothing about boarding school. Do they offer on-campus jobs?

4eyedbuzzard
01-24-2014, 14:57
Money is a scary thing :( ...
Obviously as a high school student, I don't have to worry about making up for money not earned during the trip, nor do I have to worry about getting taxes in on time or other aspects of the "grown up world."

If you get that summer job, your employer will likely withhold federal and state income taxes unless you elect to have none withheld on your W-4 form(s) when you start working.
As you are still a dependent in 2014 while in HS, you will likely have to file both federal and NC state income tax returns as the earning thresholds for dependents are quite low (if you earn enough to fund your hike, you will likely exceed them). See http://www.irs.gov/publications/p929/ar02.html , and http://www.dornc.com/taxes/individual/filing.html Also don't forget about filing your FAFSA if you are going to attend college in 2014 and/or 2015.

You should have plenty of time between the end of January and starting your hike to accomplish these "grown up world" responsibilities ;) Welcome to the world of death and taxes.

Tom Murphy
01-24-2014, 15:09
You start NOW by locating a full time job you can start the day after HS graduation AND/OR multiple part time jobs that have compatible schedules.

An April 1st 2015 start will save you a lot of money on gear over a February start. That gives you 28 weeks before Baxter SP changes over to winter rules in mid October. But your goal should be to finish in late Auguest / early Sept. The longer you are out there, the more money you will spend. So your goal needs to be 5 months, not 6.

From June 1st 2013 to March 21st 2015, you have the opportunity for 42 weekly pay checks.

If you are living at home and don't have a gf or bf, you should be able to save most of your paycheck. Oh yeah, no vacations or social life from now until the start of your hike, until then you are eating, sleeping, working, or walking. Walking to/from work for a year would really help with the 5 month thru hike goal.

Gear = $1,000.
Trail Expenses = $1k/month * 5 months = $5,000.
Transport to/from trail = $500.

$6500/42 = ~ $155.

You need to bank $155. every week from June 1, 2104 until March 21, 2015.

Godd Luck.

ChinMusic
01-24-2014, 15:17
Based on your experience, is this accurate? Realistic?

Your numbers are a good outline. As a parent I am impressed with the thought you have put into this. That by itself tells me that you will wait to hit the trail until you are funded, and will have the ability to adjust once on the trail.

Malto
01-24-2014, 15:56
I believe that $/month is a great way to look at this. An option to cut cost may be to do a faster hiker, ie 4-5 months. Less time may even cut the expenses more because longer hikes generally will have significantly more town time which will kill a budget. I also doubt there are many that could hike your set of assumptions. 12 miles per day is a crawl if you only are spending 1 night in town every two weeks. This few nights in town is more consistent with a 4-5 month hike than a six month hike.

ChinMusic
01-24-2014, 16:05
Malto is right. A youngster should easily be able to do better than 12/day. You guys flew by me as I "crawled".......

Marta
01-24-2014, 16:08
If you have next summer off, you might be able to locate a summer job in a resort area, killing two birds with one stone--you can earn money, and you can hike and build outdoor experience. coolworks.com is a good resource for summer jobs. A good waiter can expect to earn $6000-$10,000 in a summer. You could go into your hike with a comfortable cushion of cash, and have the satisfaction of having earned it yourself.

Your budget seems as posted seems doable.

The other part of the equation is doling out the cash to yourself as you proceed up the trail. Most people who get off because of money problems either started with too little or, at least as often, did't control their spending as they went along. It's very easy to get dragged into a hard-partying lifestyle where the money gets flushed down the drain at an amazing rate. This is also true when you are in college...

ocasey3
01-24-2014, 17:03
If you have next summer off, you might be able to locate a summer job in a resort area, killing two birds with one stone--you can earn money, and you can hike and build outdoor experience. coolworks.com is a good resource for summer jobs. A good waiter can expect to earn $6000-$10,000 in a summer. You could go into your hike with a comfortable cushion of cash, and have the satisfaction of having earned it yourself.

I live in Bar Harbor, Maine and there are always plenty of summer jobs to be had here, some with available housing at a very low cost. A server here can make quite a bit of money in a season. Best part is that we are located right next door to Acadia National Park which has a lot of really great trails. Baxter State Park is only about three hours away, but there a plenty of other places to day hike or even overnight close by.

jdc5294
01-24-2014, 17:16
There have been numerous debates recently about this subject, and for some reason it can get really heated, but I can tell you from personal experience and observations of others that doing a thru hike in the 21st century is completely doable on $1500-$2000. I've found a lot of people talking about $4000-$5000 are planning for things that while nice aren't anywhere approaching necessary (a hotel every time you stop in town, really?). Just my two cents.

Teacher & Snacktime
01-24-2014, 19:49
Malto is right. A youngster should easily be able to do better than 12/day. You guys flew by me as I "crawled".......

This is a youngster with serious medical issues....12 miles a day may be pushing it based on what was posted in his other thread. Taking it slowly would be wise....but I'd bump up that hostelling amount in case the recuperation time is needed.

garlic08
01-24-2014, 19:56
Your numbers are a good outline. As a parent I am impressed with the thought you have put into this. That by itself tells me that you will wait to hit the trail until you are funded, and will have the ability to adjust once on the trail.

Ditto this. Nice job on the budget.

Slo-go'en
01-24-2014, 20:02
This is a youngster with serious medical issues....12 miles a day may be pushing it based on what was posted in his other thread. Taking it slowly would be wise....but I'd bump up that hostelling amount in case the recuperation time is needed.

His condition may also seriously impact the type of work he can do to earn that money. It's sad to say, but I don't see a thru hike in the unfortunate boy's future.

rocketsocks
01-24-2014, 20:28
not including gear, on trail costs average a little above $1000 per month, puely unscientific number, like all internet stats. plenty of people have made an art form of dirtbagging, and the people for whom money isn't a concern (trust fund types) can easily spend more

money is hands down the number one reason people drop offNow Hill Ape, I gotta disagree there. It would seem the number one reason a hiker bails is.......

for the answer go here;
http://www.thetrailshow.com/

ChinMusic
01-24-2014, 20:47
Money is an important reason that folks drop but there is no way it is #1.

rocketsocks
01-24-2014, 20:54
Now Hill Ape, I gotta disagree there. It would seem the number one reason a hiker bails is.......

for the answer go here;

this is my attempt at a philanthropic pitch...:D

Tuckahoe
01-24-2014, 20:59
It is one thing to have tried and failed, than to have never tried at all...

Threepointrest, I would like to see you get to the trail and attempt your thru. Keep us updated on assembling your kit, your job search, and how well you save your money, and when the time comes I will help you out in some way. Whether a piece of needed gear or a week's worth of trail food, or a couple days at a hostel.

rocketsocks
01-24-2014, 21:02
It is one thing to have tried and failed, than to have never tried at all...

Threepointrest, I would like to see you get to the trail and attempt your thru. Keep us updated on assembling your kit, your job search, and how well you save your money, and when the time comes I will help you out in some way. Whether a piece of needed gear or a week's worth of trail food, or a couple days at a hostel.
Right on Tuckahoe...as the date nears (and if I'm still around) I'll throw in as well...seems like the kid has his head in the right place, I like that! :)

threepointrest
01-24-2014, 21:10
His condition may also seriously impact the type of work he can do to earn that money. It's sad to say, but I don't see a thru hike in the unfortunate boy's future.

All due respect, but I seriously doubt you know either me, my medical situation, or how stubborn I can be.
I also doubt that you know that even given my condition, I'm an active snowboarder and extremely avid rock climber.

If you want to help answer my question or give advice, please do. I would love to hear it.
But if you just want to let me know that I can't do it, then kindly hold your words.
Living (and hiking) with a disability isn't about physical state, it's about attitude. Yours is NOT the attitude that will get me to Katahdin.

shelb
01-24-2014, 21:23
I agree with another poster about the "tipped employee" job. Tipped employees often make more. You might try to find both a morning/day job and a night job this next summer.

Regarding your equipment: make a wish list that is not too extravagant. Provide this to your family as your birthday/Christmas gift wish list.

While most young people will end up doing more than 12 miles/day, I think you are wise (given your "joint condition,") to plan on 12. That will allow for time off the trail, and if you go faster, awesome!

Another poster mentioned waiting until April 1st to start. From my understanding, that might be a wise choice - both gear-wise and health-wise (snow makes for a lot of twisting/turning, not to mention the cold!).

Good luck!!!!

ChinMusic
01-24-2014, 21:49
All due respect, but I seriously doubt you know either me, my medical situation, or how stubborn I can be.
I also doubt that you know that even given my condition, I'm an active snowboarder and extremely avid rock climber.

If you want to help answer my question or give advice, please do. I would love to hear it.
But if you just want to let me know that I can't do it, then kindly hold your words.
Living (and hiking) with a disability isn't about physical state, it's about attitude. Yours is NOT the attitude that will get me to Katahdin.

I really like this guy.

Marta
01-24-2014, 21:53
Stubbornness is the chief attribute successful thru-hikers have in common. Seriously.

HikerMom58
01-24-2014, 21:59
Wow, I'm impressed with everyone here! :) Pretty awesome!

Hill Ape
01-24-2014, 22:25
i see him making it, or at least leaving on his own terms and coming back, a thru may not happen, but i see this guy completing the trail. he seems to have a solid head on his shoulders

+1 liking this guy alot

Teacher & Snacktime
01-24-2014, 22:36

I commented on the difficulties that might be posed by your condition too, but please don't read that to mean that I don't fully encourage you in your endeavor. I would never try to deter someone from pursuing a dream when they're fully aware of the obstacles before them, which you certainly seem to be.

Remember that very many of us responding are parents, even grandparents, and are more likely to be in a cautious mindset. It's not that we don't wish you well and wish for you the adventure. It's that we worry.

Slo-go'en
01-24-2014, 22:55

Well, in that case, maybe you have a chance. But without that information and from what you discribed about your medical condition, you can see where I had my doubts. I had visions of your leg popping out of the hip socket and dangleing like a wet rag. Have you ever gone on long backpacking trip before, say a week or longer? That's really is the key question and the answer to that would be a good indication of how well this might go.

As to your original question, yes the budget is good, provided nothing goes wrong. As for how to earn that money, I think that is the bigger challenge for a kid your age in this economy. There's a lot of competion just for the low wage, fast food jobs these days. At least you got a couple of years to save up. What are your interests and if you plan to go to college, what would you major in? Answers to those questions will lead in the direction of the kind of work to look for.

In the mean time, if you haven't already done a bunch of backpacking, I would suggest you do so and learn if your body is okay with the day in and day out stress of lugging a pack over long distances.

threepointrest
01-24-2014, 22:56
I commented on the difficulties that might be posed by your condition too, but please don't read that to mean that I don't fully encourage you in your endeavor. I would never try to deter someone from pursuing a dream when they're fully aware of the obstacles before them, which you certainly seem to be.

Remember that very many of us responding are parents, even grandparents, and are more likely to be in a cautious mindset. It's not that we don't wish you well and wish for you the adventure. It's that we worry.

Oh no! I understand completely, and I think that to not have an air of caution would be a huge- and potentially devastating- mistake. A happy-go-lucky, nothing-is-wrong attitude won't get me to Katahdin either. More likely than not, it will land me in a hospital.
And I'll be honest, I'm a bit worried too. I recognize that I have a hard trip ahead of me, and I've never pushed my body this hard. It's very likely that I will end up stopping partway through, and finishing it in one or more trips afterwards.

But to suggest that there is no chance of it happening (as this person seemed to be saying) is too close to saying that I shouldn't even try.
To adopt a "why-try" attitude because of my disability means letting my disability define a part of myself. And I refuse to believe that that's who I am.

I appreciate and love the caution though :)
It's the nay-sayers I have no patience for.

threepointrest
01-24-2014, 23:01
Another poster mentioned waiting until April 1st to start. From my understanding, that might be a wise choice - both gear-wise and health-wise (snow makes for a lot of twisting/turning, not to mention the cold!).

Good luck!!!!

Believe me, I would love to start in April!
However, I need to be done in time to start my freshman year of college at the end of August.
I suppose that college will be worth a few weeks of snow-plowing :D

Hill Ape
01-25-2014, 00:29
Now Hill Ape, I gotta disagree there. It would seem the number one reason a hiker bails is.......

for the answer go here;

i laughed, i think i was supposed too. i cried once, spent some quality time in the latrine... came away from that experience with a somewhat confused feeling, but more beer seemed to clear that up quickly

at the end of it all, i feel much confused

Foresight
01-25-2014, 01:47
Oh no! I understand completely, and I think that to not have an air of caution would be a huge- and potentially devastating- mistake. A happy-go-lucky, nothing-is-wrong attitude won't get me to Katahdin either. More likely than not, it will land me in a hospital.
And I'll be honest, I'm a bit worried too. I recognize that I have a hard trip ahead of me, and I've never pushed my body this hard. It's very likely that I will end up stopping partway through, and finishing it in one or more trips afterwards.

But to suggest that there is no chance of it happening (as this person seemed to be saying) is too close to saying that I shouldn't even try.
To adopt a "why-try" attitude because of my disability means letting my disability define a part of myself. And I refuse to believe that that's who I am.

I appreciate and love the caution though :)
It's the nay-sayers I have no patience for.

You know what I have no patience for? Your generation's text-induced butchering of the English written language. The fact that you have somehow either avoided this malady or (let us pray) consciously made the decision to punctuate and spell appropriately brings tears of joy to my eyes.

Bravo, young man, bravo!

4eyedbuzzard
01-25-2014, 03:15
You know what I have no patience for? Your generation's text-induced butchering of the English written language. The fact that you have somehow either avoided this malady or (let us pray) consciously made the decision to punctuate and spell appropriately brings tears of joy to my eyes.

Bravo, young man, bravo!
I wish... But I'm stuck at boarding school in NH. Not many job opportunities here :/I would expect no less than high level communication skills from a senior graduating from a good prep school. You have been blessed with many wonderful opportunities threepoint. Make the most of them. Best wishes for you during your hike!

Hill Ape
01-25-2014, 07:39
i'll throw this out there, you can contact me if you need any help in georgia, i really like your attitude. even up into tn/nc if you're in a jam

Teacher & Snacktime
01-25-2014, 12:03

Bravo, young man, bravo!

Oh YEAH!!!!

I have no idea what we'll be doing in 2015, but if Snacktime and I are still travelling and trekking the AT, like Hill Ape, we'll certainly do all we can to help you.

rocketsocks
01-25-2014, 16:26
i laughed, i think i was supposed too. i cried once, spent some quality time in the latrine... came away from that experience with a somewhat confused feeling, but more beer seemed to clear that up quickly

at the end of it all, i feel much confusedSorry there Hill Ape, it was not meant to confuse, so here it is.
Spoiler Alert;

The #1 reason for a hiker to come off the trail is....wait for it...

Ran Outta Weed!

Teacher & Snacktime
01-25-2014, 19:40
Speak for yourself, RS! (I never run out).......just kidding, folks.

jdc5294
01-25-2014, 20:12

Chill out man he was just trying to help.

rocketsocks
01-25-2014, 20:39
Speak for yourself, RS! (I never run out).......just kidding, folks.Me neither...seems no matter where I go I'm always in the weeds pickin off hitch hikers and ticks. I love your sense of humor, truth be told when I first listen to this pod cast, It was getting close to the #1 reason, and in my mind I was thinking money, maybe a family thing or something, not what I expected, and so I laugh to this day when I think about my anticipation of the awnser and then hearing it...it just gets me every time...I'm a kid at heart.

Teacher & Snacktime
01-25-2014, 22:50
Yeah, me too. I may grow up some day, but I doubt it....not as long as I have a 12yr old (and a bunch of other so-called grownups) who are willing to join me and play!