PDA

View Full Version : 5-6 Day Hike, Late May?

pokes91
01-24-2014, 21:46
Hi there! I'm a rookie backpacker/hiker and I've been reading WhiteBlaze for some time now in anticipation of one day being able to hike the AT. I recently moved to Raleigh, NC from OK and plan on taking full advantage of the proximity to the trail.

That being said, a few of my buddies and I are wanting to take a trip the last week of May 2014. I'm thinking Hot Springs to Erwin. This would be the first time for all of us so is this too ambitious for a Saturday morning to Wednesday/Thursday hike? If so, could y'all throw out some suggestions for other North Carolina sections that would be more appropriate?

Our time in the area will be from Saturday to Saturday but we also want to be able to spend a day or so in Asheville and kayaking.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

HighLiner
01-24-2014, 21:56
That section is good, but not enough miles for a week. Consider the AT in the Smokey Mountains National Park; 69 miles of remote packing at high elevations. That trip would give you a great feel for what the trail is all about. Good luck.

saltysack
01-24-2014, 22:35
603 south to Damascus is my favorite section in the southern states. 40 miles easy shuttle from MRO and only a few hrs from Raleigh. Grayson highlands and several other awesome Areas on this hike..lots of ponies...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

map man
01-24-2014, 22:50
I'm thinking Hot Springs to Erwin. This would be the first time for all of us so is this too ambitious for a Saturday morning to Wednesday/Thursday hike? If so, could y'all throw out some suggestions for other North Carolina sections that would be more appropriate?

The section you mention is 68 miles and I don't know enough about the group's hiking abilities to know whether you can do that comfortably in 5 or 6 days. It is a nice section. If you want another perhaps more scenic section (it has the Roan Highlands) that you might be more confident can be handled by a diverse party in 5 or 6 days you could hike the 50 miles from Erwin to US 19E.

Since you are beginners and would have a hard time estimating daily mileage I would not recommend hiking in Great Smoky Mountains National Park on the AT since you would have to make individual shelter reservations in advance for each night you are in the park (and pay money to do it, as well).

johnnybgood
01-24-2014, 22:55
Elk Park(19E) south to Erwin is 50 miles which equates to 10 miles a day,assuming 5 days hiking. Yeah ,it's a tough fifty mile section but the views from the beauty spot and the humps are worth it. Besides, it sounds like you're planning to kayak the Nolichucky River some near Erwin. 10k , a member here , operates Tom's Shuttles out of Erwin,TN.

SkraM
01-24-2014, 23:05
+1 on Elk Park to Erwin.

pokes91
01-25-2014, 11:38
Thanks to everyone for the quick input! Is there a particularly good guide/or map that includes this section?

pokes91
01-25-2014, 11:39
Thanks to everyone for the quick input! Is there a particularly good guide/or map that includes this section?
Oops, by 'this section' I mean Elk Park to Erwin.

map man
01-25-2014, 11:56
This map/guide package would be plenty:

https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=60&compid=1

Or this if you just want the maps (each of these maps has elevation profiles and mileage logs):

https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=61&compid=1

You would need both maps in this latter package because you would need to switch from one to the other a little ways north of Erwin. If you decided to skip the guide you can find a lot of useful information about shelters and other camping spots in your section here at Whiteblaze at this link:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?46-N-C-amp-Tennessee

bigcranky
01-25-2014, 19:26
+1 on Elk Park to Erwin. The ATC map book set for Tennessee has the right maps. A copy of the Thru-Hikers Companion would be very useful, too.

You'll be starting with the big climbs right out of the gate; get an early start so you can make it to The Barn the first night. This is a wonderful section and late May is a perfect time for it.

You could spend Friday night at the Mountain Harbor B&B hostel for that early start. It's maybe 1/4 mile from the trailhead. Great folks, and you can park in their lot for the duration. The hostel is pretty inexpensive.

Drybones
01-25-2014, 19:45
Do the Foothills Trail.

fredmugs
01-25-2014, 20:51
That section is good, but not enough miles for a week. Consider the AT in the Smokey Mountains National Park; 69 miles of remote packing at high elevations. That trip would give you a great feel for what the trail is all about. Good luck.

Ugh. Why do people recommend the Smokies to newby AT hikers? When you hike thru the park you have to get a reservation first for each shelter and you have to stay exactly where your reservation states. There is no room for changes to your plans. Not knowing your level of fitness I would cap your miles per day at 15 and do a half day the first just to get some trail miles in. Anywhere in that general location will be a great hike - just don't do it in the Smoklies.

bigcranky
01-25-2014, 22:02
Ugh. Why do people recommend the Smokies to newby AT hikers?

Probably for the same reason that 99% of the "I'm going for my first week-long hike ever" posters say they're going to hike the Smokies. It's very well known, it's a national park and thus seems somehow safer, and nobody's ever heard of "Hot Springs to Erwin." :) But I agree, it's not a great idea for a first hike for all kinds of reasons.

pokes91
01-25-2014, 22:29
Thanks, all, for the help! Looking forward to planning the trip!

AkaMirage
01-29-2014, 15:10
You could spend Friday night at the Mountain Harbor B&B hostel for that early start. It's maybe 1/4 mile from the trailhead. Great folks, and you can park in their lot for the duration. The hostel is pretty inexpensive.

+1 for that idea... their hiker hostel is great, and the breakfast can't be beat (it's a little extra, but more than worth it).

Maybe we'll see you out there, too! We're doing a day and a half from Carver's gap to 19E memorial day weekend, and staying at Mountain Harbour the Sunday before Memorial Day.