View Full Version : Questions about permits for parks

B Joh
01-25-2014, 04:40
Hi, I'm planning on starting my NOBO March 1. I'm pretty much all set gear wise but I haven't taken care of permits. As I understand I need a permit for the Smokies and Shenandoah? The Smokies permit should be taken care of now but I can get the Shenandoah permit in person? If anybody can give me some advice on this, I'd be grateful. Also if there are any other permit type things I should take care of before I leave I'd appreciate someone covering that as well. Thank you.

01-25-2014, 08:58
The permit for SNP is a simple form you fill out at a little kiosk located on the AT. One part goes in the box the other is attached to your pack. This is an unmanned kiosk near the Southern and Northern ends of the park, you can't miss it. No other permits on the trail when you get to Baxter State Park you must sign in with the rangers.

01-25-2014, 10:52
There is a kiosk also at the Southern terminus ranger station which can be reached by the first blue blaze trail from the AT .
A thru hiker can simply state " AT thru hiker " , no need to fill in nightly locations. It's a good idea to write your trail name , if you have one , in addition to your real name on the form.

01-25-2014, 11:59
smokies permit is for 38 days, so right before you start should work

glacier freeze
01-27-2014, 21:36
The GSMNP backcountry/thru hiker permit can be purchased and printed out at "Outdoor 76", a local outfitter in Franklin, NC. Just stop into the store, state that you need to print a GSMNP thru hiker permit, a sales associate will allow you to use their computer in order to purchase and print out the 3 page permit. They don't charge.

SNP, as stated, is simply a self registration permit.