PDA

View Full Version : How to choose a pack

Hiking2015
01-25-2014, 17:22
I have tried an Osprey Ariel 65 on at REI and that seemed to fit better than the others I tried. However it still was not as comfortable as I had expected,it did have 15 pounds in while walking around the store. How do I know,or will I before trying it out on the trail,if it is the right one?

Oak88
01-25-2014, 17:32
Try them out. Rei and EMS and others have rental programs. http://www.rei.com/stores/rentals.html. You also can try out any REI product and return it no questions asked. I used 4 different packs during my AT thru hike. I intentionally started with a heavier pack to carry my heavier winter gear. After about 400 miles I switched to a different lighter pack with lighter gear when I sent home my winter gear. Try them out on a weekend hike. I field tested all my gear on hikes before I hiked the AT.

blue indian
01-25-2014, 17:32
Get an Rei staff to make sure you are getting the proper sized pack.

Some packs fit certain body types better than others. Check for stuff like lumbar pads, angled hip belts, reachable side pockets...

Walk around with the pack loaded for at least an hour.

Keep in mind that you are carrying weight and no pack is going to magically make it feel weightless. Good luck

4eyedbuzzard
01-25-2014, 17:38
I have tried an Osprey Ariel 65 on at REI and that seemed to fit better than the others I tried. However it still was not as comfortable as I had expected,it did have 15 pounds in while walking around the store. How do I know,or will I before trying it out on the trail,if it is the right one?What exactly was the "discomfort"? Small of back, hips, shoulders, pack pulling you back, etc.?

If it didn't feel comfortable in the store with 15 lbs in it, it usually won't get better on the trail with more weight. Try other packs, try other fitters, try other stores . . . A good fitter is really important especially with packs that have multiple adjustments and lots of straps. Packs with aluminum stays need to be bent properly to fit your spine curvature, etc.

That said I have four packs and while all of them fit well, two of them are more comfortable than the other two. I really just need to sell them . . .

Hiking2015
01-25-2014, 17:41
It was uncomfortable on the bone in my neck where the spine meets. The pack actually came up to top of my head.

Thanks for the heads up on REI renting gear. I will check that out.

4eyedbuzzard
01-25-2014, 17:54
Just a guess, but as that pack has a center aluminum stay (2/3 length), it could be bent in a way that is uncomfortable for you. I have one pack (an Aarn, not an Osprey) with an aluminum center stay. To fit it properly, the stay has to be removed and bent per the manufacturers instructions to fit the wearer's natural spine curve - kind of a form fit to your spine. Most good pack fitters should do this for you if a pack has bendable stays. Keep shopping.

bigcranky
01-25-2014, 19:20
My wife has an Ariel 55 and it's the most comfortable pack she's ever had -- and she's tried a lot of packs over the years. Some in the store, and many on the trail. That said, it's basically impossible to *know* until you have used it on the trail with a full load. Even just a day hike with 25 pounds will tell you a lot, but an overnight is probably better. If you buy it from REI they will take it back if it doesn't fit properly (for up to a year.)

+1 on having the most experienced REI pack fitter take a look at it on your back, with a decent load.

You could also try the women's packs from Gregory and REI.

Drybones
01-25-2014, 20:05
I hate to say it but it's a crap shoot, like buying shoes, they can feel great in the store but after wearing them for an entire day they may be killing you. I started with a Gregory (hated it, hurt the hips and spine), then a Deuter (good pack but heavy), then an REI Flash 65 (okay but not for a long hike), then an REI Flash 50 (might have worked if I'd had the proper torso size), then the Granite Gear Crown 60 (works like a charm, I try to save it for long hikes but have trouble making myself use the others).

MuddyWaters
01-25-2014, 20:11
Try it with the weight you intend to carry. 15 is light enough to carry in a frameless sack with no hipbelt

RockChucker30
01-28-2014, 08:40
Pack fit is dependent on several converging factors. The pack must be tall enough. If you're carrying 30-40 lbs or more the frame should be 1-3 inches above your shoulders at least, to provide load lift through the harness. Second, the frame must be stiff enough to resist torso collapse under the load range you intend to carry. Finally, the belt needs to stay put. I recommend folks wear hipbelts so that their iliac crests are centered by the belt.

If you wear the belt in the right place, the belt doesn't slip, the frame is stiff enough to resist torso collapse, and you're getting load lift then you've got the basis of a comfortable pack.