PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a bear can on AT in NY is spring/summer ?

pawlinghiker
01-25-2014, 20:46
I purchased a bear a cade canister for summer camping but it is really cumbersome in my pack.

I generally eat backpacker meals and if doing so meant i did not need to bring a canister I would exclusively pack pre-bagged meals and snacks to avoid the whole scent thing.

Is this possible or is it a risk ?

what about sleeping with your food ?

All I know is that can will not fly in my bag, so I dont know what to do. I hate dealing with suspending a food bag but Im sure everyone does ..

Any input

Thanks

MDSection12
01-25-2014, 20:54
You do not need a bear can on the AT anywhere. Bagged food does not eliminate smells... The rest is personal preference.

ChinMusic
01-25-2014, 20:58
A bear can is not needed on the AT in NY, nor the rest of the trail, unless you plan on camping in a small section in GA.

Bears can still smell your food in the packaging.

I sleep with my food but wouild not recommend that to rookies.

hikerboy57
01-25-2014, 21:00
ive slept in harriman many, many times with my food, never had an issue with bears. i do use opsak "odorproof" bags the past few years, but i have no idea how effective they actually are,bears can probably smell through em anyway, and i never was bothered by bears before i began using them, but what was left of the consumer in me decided they gave me peace of mind.
bears have found plenty better food sources in and around the park than a hikers tent.slept out at wawayanda shelter near greenwood lake last week, no bears.

http://www.rei.com/product/758707/loksak-opsak-odor-proof-barrier-bags-20-x-125

pawlinghiker
01-25-2014, 21:44
I thought of those bags too but I figured a sealed backpacker meal was more scent proof since its factory sealed, my issue with the loksak bags is that while you load the bags your hands have the scent on them. might be controllable at home for the initial packing but once your on the trail and re use the bag your hands smell like food.

I would think these bags would help with smaller critters getting into a bag hung in a tree, probably less smell than a zip lock but probably not to a bear .

I only know from what I have read, not from experience..yet

hikerboy57
01-25-2014, 21:46
I thought of those bags too but I figured a sealed backpacker meal was more scent proof since its factory sealed, my issue with the loksak bags is that while you load the bags your hands have the scent on them. might be controllable at home for the initial packing but once your on the trail and re use the bag your hands smell like food.

I would think these bags would help with smaller critters getting into a bag hung in a tree, probably less smell than a zip lock but probably not to a bear .

I only know from what I have read, not from experience..yet
theres no doubt they cut the smell of your trash,much better than freezer bags.

saltysack
01-25-2014, 21:47
I also sleep with food as I always have my dog w me..... He's a bad ass 19 lb jack Russell who doesn't like bears!!they will choke on him while I get away !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Feral Bill
01-25-2014, 23:08
The trees in the east make bear hangs easy. Take advantage.

Sarcasm the elf
01-26-2014, 00:04
I also sleep with food as I always have my dog w me..... He's a bad ass 19 lb jack Russell who doesn't like bears!!they will choke on him while I get away !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

I've relied on the canine technique for years, the border collie's growl has warned many a critter away from the tent, though usually the smaller scurrying type.

pawlinghiker
01-26-2014, 10:50
19 LB jack russle

what do you feed that thing

my friends weighed 7 lbs

Sandy of PA
01-26-2014, 22:30
I use my Bearicade on all hiking adventures. I suck at throwing rocks in trees and there are a lot of non-bear critters that can't chew thru the can. I always have a stool for the campfire too!

Wise Old Owl
01-26-2014, 22:42
The trees in the east make bear hangs easy. Take advantage.

How high and how big is the branch needed? - for a small bear and a Jack Russel in the mouth? I love Jack Russels great dogs...Jack was the best... wait... wait for it....

did I misunderstand your post? :confused:

aficion
01-26-2014, 22:52
Jack Russells worth their salt will keep a bear at bay and not get a scratch on 'em. However, you will need to hang your food or use it as a pillow to keep the Jack Russell from eating it, unless you have a bear canister.

Odd Man Out
01-27-2014, 16:39
...i do use opsak "odorproof" bags the past few years, but i have no idea how effective they actually are,bears can probably smell through em anyway, and i never was bothered by bears before i began using them, but what was left of the consumer in me decided they gave me peace of mind.
bears have found plenty better food sources in and around the park than a hikers tent.slept out at wawayanda shelter near greenwood lake last week, no bears....

Good point. I think "odorproof" is more accurate that odorproof. I assume the bears smell everything. But if they make your food bag smell less than other things, you may have accomplished something useful. Also, the bear expert I have communicated with says that the best black bear deterrent is to smell like a human, so maybe the real value in bags like these is to just make them smell less (less than your neighbor's camp or less than you).

Reminds me of the old joke of the hiker who started putting on his shoes when a bear was poking around. His friend asks Why bother? If the bear attacks, you know you can't out run him. The hiker said If the bear attacks, I don't have to out run the bear. I just have to out run you.

rocketsocks
01-27-2014, 16:54
Good point. I think "odorproof" is more accurate that odorproof. I assume the bears smell everything. But if they make your food bag smell less than other things, you may have accomplished something useful. Also, the bear expert I have communicated with says that the best black bear deterrent is to smell like a human, so maybe the real value in bags like these is to just make them smell less (less than your neighbor's camp or less than you).

Reminds me of the old joke of the hiker who started putting on his shoes when a bear was poking around. His friend asks Why bother? If the bear attacks, you know you can't out run him. The hiker said If the bear attacks, I don't have to out run the bear. I just have to out run you.
I love that joke...

I don't know about keeping food smells down from bears by using one of these...but trash and a tuna packet that is 4 days opened starts to stink pretty gal darn foul. So if I don't have to smell it, maybe it's worth my purchase, as apposed to the regular gal. trash "zip lock baggie" I use for trash.